closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panasonic OLED a good TV choice?

Panasonic OLED a good TV choice?

Hi all, our TV has just broken. It was over 10 years old so time for a new one. I have been recommended either the Panasonic MZ800 or the MZ980 OLED screens.

So, couple of quick questions that I'd appreciate your input on:

1. Is the Panasonic system on the MZ980 significantly better than the Android system on the MZ800?
    2. What other makes/models should I be considering? Nny great offers you've seen online?

We just need a screen for general TV viewing and my daughter plays her PS5 on it too. We have a separate sound system so don't need any built in speakers.

Any advice welcomed. Thank you.

Master
    I bought a tz55jz 1500 b oled a couple of years ago it was 1 down from the top of the range I viewed Sony lg and Panasonic and they all had very similar pictures it was between the lg and Panasonic but you couldn’t fit a soundbar under the lg so I went for the Panasonic which had excellent reviews and I’d had 5 Panasonics in the past the only gripe is how long it takes the tv guide to come up apart from that I can’t fault it

They are superb. I had the GZ2000 for several years and upgraded to MZ a couple of months ago. Picture and sound both incredible.

Craftsman
    I would highly recommend an LG C2/C3/C4
    Depending on budget and what is currently available at a reasonable price

Lots of reviews out there. Most OLED's use LG's panel anyway unless it's a QD-OLED panel made by Samsung. Slightly different OLED technologies. Both have there plus and minus points.

If you like the Panasonic go with that. Ours has been excellent, better than our Sony that seems to need a hard reset once or twice a month

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the Panasonic 65” OLED in the bedroom and a Sony 65” OLED in the lounge, the Sony is a far better picture and also has a faster processor, which makes a far better experience when the footie is on. Everyone comments how good the Sony is. I have always bought Panasonic, not any more.

Personally if I was looking for a new TV I would just consider LG or Samsung. Maybe a Philips if you like the Ambilight feature!

Most other manufacturers get their panels from these two suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Personally if I was looking for a new TV I would just consider LG or Samsung. Maybe a Philips if you like the Ambilight feature!

Do the others get lesser panels?

As a long-term Samsung fanboy, my next TV will without question be a Sony. I’ve had enough of poor sound, lack of detail in blacks, and general problems after a period of usage.

That aside, it’s just foolish to ignore the outcome of one best buy review after another, after another.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    As a long-term Samsung fanboy, my next TV will without question be a Sony. I’ve had enough of poor sound, lack of detail in blacks, and general problems after a period of usage.

That aside, it’s just foolish to ignore the outcome of one best buy review after another, after another.
    If blacks are an issue then ignore anything that isn’t OLED. Still the best for blacks. With regard to sound, personally, I never even consider it with a flat panel TV as I will always use an external speaker set up such as a Sonos beam, arc or even better a proper 5.1 set up. Lifts the whole dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I don’t know but I would assume that they don’t provide their newest cutting edge panels straight away to external 3rd parties.

Also the originator is in the best position to full understand with the ability to optimise the screen. Generally seen with the best reviews etc. Not sure I want to pay Sony that much money for their software. A bit like I would not buy an IWC with an ETA movement!

Our next TV will be a Sony, the sound is produces by using the screen as a speaker, quality and depth is miles ahead of anything else out there. We have an LG 55inch oled in the kitchen the picture is very good, the operating system is easy to use, mirroring just works with phone or laptop, it's three years old and has been faultless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No, none of them are off the shelf, they are contract manufactured to agreed performance specifications, most use Seoul LEDs .

If blacks are an issue then ignore anything that isn’t OLED. Still the best for blacks. With regard to sound, personally, I never even consider it with a flat panel TV as I will always use an external speaker set up such as a Sonos beam, arc or even better a proper 5.1 set up. Lifts the whole dynamic
    Noted regarding OLED, which would be my preference anyway. I do have to use a soundbar to elevate the audio a little, but so far I’ve only done that on a budget. I am thinking about a Sonos Arc for the future, though.

Noted regarding OLED, which would be my preference anyway. I do have to use a soundbar to elevate the audio a little, but so far I’ve only done that on a budget. I am thinking about a Sonos Arc for the future, though.
    Hi Tony,

Have a good listen to one of the Sony TVs with the screen transducer, depending on room size you won't need any additional devices to beef up the sound, we had a good listen to one and as a sceptic was very surprised, and we have a powerful home cinema set up.

Master
    My TV also just coincidentally broke and I replaced it after some research with this:

Sony Bravia XR XR65A80L

I briefly looked into its higher end cousin the 95L but couldnt justify paying over double.

Very happy with the colours and performance both for Netflix, PS5 and TNT HD.

Sound is surprisngly very good, granted i live in a small flat, i dun have any additional speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Hi Tony,

Have a good listen to one of the Sony TVs with the screen transducer, depending on room size you won't need any additional devices to beef up the sound, we had a good listen to one and as a sceptic was very surprised, and we have a powerful home cinema set up.
    Thanks Adrian. Yes, I’d make the decision on audio after a thorough testing period at home first. (It’s the AL80 I’m thinking about).

Journeyman
    I've been looking too.

I'd be very interested to know that you go for.

I only use my TV to watch programs (not used for games) and love the film mode that tries to emulate what the director intended.

Most TV's, newer than mine, have Dolby Vision code embedded in every frame to make the viewing experience as good as possible. That sounds great to me but it rules out Samsung as they don't support it, i.e., they won't pay the Dolby licence fee!

I've an old Panasonic plasma that was also, at the time, one down from the top model. It's still an excellent TV ut it's not 4k.

I was drawn to the LGC2.

Then I saw the LG G2 and there was a visible difference, much better!

However, at 55in the G2's smallest size is too large for me. Its worth a look as is the G3.

So, I was hoping the C3 would be worth waiting for.

It wasn't. Very little viewing difference over the C2.

I waited for the C4. Not seen one yet, but the reviews say, for my usage, it's just a small improvement over the C3.

Looks like I'm keeping my plasma for at least another year!

Good luck with you search.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LeighG View Post
    I've been looking too.

I only use my TV to watch programs (not used for games) and love the film mode that tries to emulate what the director intended.

Most TV's, newer than mine, have Dolby Vision code embedded in every frame to make the viewing experience as good as possible. That sounds great to me but it rules out Samsung as they don't support it, i.e., they won't pay the Dolby licence fee!

I've an old Panasonic plasma that was also, at the time, one down from the top model. It's still an excellent TV ut it's not 4k.

I was drawn to the LGC2.

However, at 55in the G2's smallest size is too large for me. Its worth a look as is the G3.

I waited for the C4. Not seen one yet, but the reviews say, for my usage, it's just a small improvement over the C3.

I've been looking too.

I was drawn to the LGC2.

It's funny we have a Panasonic TX P-65V in the room with the AV system, it's 11 years old and has never missed a beat, the gui is rubbish but we can't justify throwing it out and spending a lot of money on the Sony yet, in fairness the LG oled in the kitchen has probably done more work.

Thanks Adrian. Yes, I’d make the decision on audio after a thorough testing period at home first. (It’s the AL80 I’m thinking about).
    Yes that's the range, we have been looking at the big one but can't justify it as their is nothing wrong with the TV it would replace, I'm hoping for it to become an old model and get discounted, but it hasn't happened yet,

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that's the range, we have been looking at the big one but can't justify it as their is nothing wrong with the TV it would replace, I'm hoping for it to become an old model and get discounted, but it hasn't happened yet,

Journeyman
    It's funny we have a Panasonic TX P-65V in the room with the AV system, it's 11 years old and has never missed a beat, the gui is rubbish but we can't justify throwing it out and spending a lot of money on the Sony yet, in fairness the LG oled in the kitchen has probably done more work.
    Similar here.

Wish I had room for a 55 let aline a 65! That must be great!

I first had a Dolby 2.1 in the 1990's that I installed with a 40in back projecting TV that happened to support Dolby internally.

Currently, I've 5 got a Yamaha 7.2 receiver rhat has Dolby Atmos. We've Cambridge Audio cube speakers near each corner of the room, a double cube centre speaker, a sub woofer behind the TV, as well as two speakers mounted in the ceiling.

I use the plasma with Virgin TV and just renewed after threatening to leave got nowhere! So I left and then got a call a day or so later with a deal I couldn't refuse! No horses heads involved, just a much better price!

Master
    Hi Tony,

Really, is it that good for sound?

Struggling to see how it can compete with my cinema set up. The sub is £1k+ on its own and only makes rumbles.

I do like being able to integrate the Sony tv into the current set up using the Sony amp & a cable which then adds some height control to the centre.

The A95L is a brilliant piece of tech that’s for sure & that or the equivalent will be my next one that is 100%. Just wish I could get to 65” vs current 55” but the wife isn’t a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Struggling to see how it can compete with my cinema set up. The sub is £1k+ on its own and only makes rumbles.

I do like being able to integrate the Sony tv into the current set up using the Sony amp & a cable which then adds some height control to the centre.

The A95L is a brilliant piece of tech that’s for sure & that or the equivalent will be my next one that is 100%. Just wish I could get to 65” vs current 55” but the wife isn’t a fan.
    My intention is to go up to 55” from my current 48” (I don’t know that our room needs a 65”, if I’m honest). Sometimes, the fact that you can do something doesn’t mean that you should do it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chainy75 View Post
    I would highly recommend an LG C2/C3/C4
    Depending on budget and what is currently available at a reasonable price

Lots of reviews out there. Most OLED's use LG's panel anyway unless it's a QD-OLED panel made by Samsung. Slightly different OLED technologies. Both have there plus and minus points.
    What he said

OP, take look if you haven’t already.

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consume...-55z95aeb.html

Master
    My intention is to go up to 55” from my current 48” (I don’t know that our room needs a 65”, if I’m honest). Sometimes, the fact that you can do something doesn’t mean that you should do it.
    We went 40" to 55" and the first few weeks walking into the lounge was a bit of a shock! 48" to 55" will be a nice upgrade without quite the concern when you see it.

Our lounge is basically a cinema room in reality, TV sits in a bay window with our sofa directly & centrally in front of it...great for getting surround sound all set up brilliantly.

If we are hosting, we tend to be in the garden room as it works better as an entertaining area.

Personally I'd love a drop down screen in the window, and a projector, but until I'm single that won't happen in this house lol.

Am sure 65" will be the new norm at some point in the same way 55" replaced 40" which replaced 32" as 'big' over the years.

Location of TV plays a huge difference in the perceived size, next-door have the same 55" but in a corner location, and theirs looks massive by comparison - to the point I reckoned he claimed it was 55" to his wife but was a 55" as he sent me the label. Likewise, he couldn't believe mine was the same size. Very weird.

We listened to the 77 and 83 you will be surprised how good they are, we have a large room with 2 KW available and I would say the TV will fill the room enough that we wouldn't need to turn on the AV system, have a listen to one.

Master
    We listened to the 77 and 83 you will be surprised how good they are, we have a large room with 2 KW available and I would say the TV will fill the room enough that we wouldn't need to turn on the AV system, have a listen to one.
    Will get a listen for sure, but I enjoy the multi speaker set up; we watch all TV through the amp & I have done since my first house purchase at 23 - the idea of 'just' tv speakers doesn't fill me with a sense of engagement.

With 2kw am guessing you only engage it for films, I prefer some meat to my watching & the Sony screen cannot achieve that same depth; might be good, but will be lacking, down to pure physics & dimensions.

Will get a listen for sure, but I enjoy the multi speaker set up; we watch all TV through the amp & I have done since my first house purchase at 23 - the idea of 'just' tv speakers doesn't fill me with a sense of engagement.

With 2kw am guessing you only engage it for films, I prefer some meat to my watching & the Sony screen cannot achieve that same depth; might be good, but will be lacking, down to pure physics & dimensions.
    Have a listen, I was impressed, as you mentioned physics, a speaker is a motor that moves air, the 83 in TV is a big motor

My brother has a 65” Panasonic OLED and loves it. I have to say the picture and sound are absolutely amazing.

Master
    Blog Entries

Tony if your TV is wall hung you will be surprised how much smaller it looks, both of my 65” are on the wall, and at 3m viewing distance they are great. Also you mentioned the Sony acoustic screen, it is a great addition but does lack bass depth especially in a good movie.

Journeyman
    I've been looking too.

I've an old Panasonic plasma that was also, at the time, one down from the top model. It's still an excellent TV, but it's not 4k.

I was drawn to the LGC2.

However, at 55in the G2's smallest size is too large for me. It's worth a look as is the G3.

Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Tony if your TV is wall hung you will be surprised how much smaller it looks, both of my 65” are on the wall, and at 3m viewing distance they are great. Also you mentioned the Sony acoustic screen, it is a great addition but does lack bass depth especially in a good movie.
    Not sure our room lends itself to a wall hung solution. I hear you regarding sound though, and think we’ll be going for the Arc as a minimum, probably with some additional kit.

The best advice I ever received when I started buying home cinema stuff was sound first, screen second!

In my experience that is so very true especially today when actually generally all big brand TVs have excellent pictures at 4K etc

For my set, I also use an Arc with big sub and Era 300 as surrounds in the cinema room and it is an excellent set up. The Arc does give a wide sound stage from the front.

However, don’t discount the Beam as we use one in the living room with a 55inch LG OLED and it is very good, especially if you pair it with Ones or Era 100 as discreet surrounds. Don’t really miss the Sub but then we use this room for TV. Movies are played in the cinema room with a 4K Laser UST Projector with the Arc etc

I think your friend is right, once you get immersed in film the Tv equipment is irrelevant, interestingly I use a Lexicon MC10, Nad M25, Neat XLS isobaric speakers, Revel centre and a Vienna acoustics Subson, but the most impressive thing I've found is Dirac live software, the difference is night and day

The best advice I ever received when I started buying home cinema stuff was sound first, screen second!

In my experience that is so very true especially today when actually generally all big brand TVs have excellent pictures at 4K etc

For my set, I also use an Arc with big sub and Era 300 as surrounds in the cinema room and it is an excellent set up. The Arc does give a wide sound stage from the front.

However, don’t discount the Beam as we use one in the living room with a 55inch LG OLED and it is very good, especially if you pair it with Ones or Era 100 as discreet surrounds. Don’t really miss the Sub but then we use this room for TV. Movies are played in the cinema room with a 4K Laser UST Projector with the Arc etc

Any chance of seeing the cinema room set-up?

Just to close off this thread, we have ordered the LG C3 in the Argos sale. Got it for around £950 plus a load of Nectar points. Given we have a nice sound system in place already, I think this will be more than adequate for our small living room. Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated as always.

As our 10+ year old Samsung is getting to end of life (thin vertical lines starting to appear), is there any love here for Philips Ambilight?

I've only seen a couple in shops, but they look pretty neat and the reviews by people who own them seem to be positive. Or is it just a gimmick?

I'm just scratching my head at the idea of a 65" TV in the bedroom

Master
    I swear by LG tvs I have 2 at 5 and 8 years old. Both work impeccably.
    Sound is never great from a tv so I always wait for a deal on a sound bar. Even the wife can tell the difference and she has ears of cloth…

My Toshiba 42” is 13 years old (late 2010 I believe).
    Threads like this one make feel a bit of a dinosaur. But is was good enough for us then so it will be good enough until it dies.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Not sure our room lends itself to a wall hung solution. I hear you regarding sound though, and think we’ll be going for the Arc as a minimum, probably with some additional kit.
    Have to admit, the AL95 is calling to me now. It seems to be about a grand more than the equivalent AL80 so not a decision to be taken lightly.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th January 2024 at 23:42.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Just to close off this thread, we have ordered the LG C3 in the Argos sale. Got it for around £950 plus a load of Nectar points. Given we have a nice sound system in place already, I think this will be more than adequate for our small living room. Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated as always.

Good choice. Check out a few YouTube vids to set it up. First thing is to turn off Eco mode or it will mess with the brightness. I normally disable the LG home menu on start up. You can still access it via the remote. Filmmaker mode for movies etc.

Master
    I prefer how the panny oleds dealt with varying dynamic range for hdr over the LGs and Sony, the panny thresholding seems more sensible ,
    Sony will clip whites to preserve mid range dynamic range not great if you don't like white clipping but your average picture levels will be more consistent
    LG will not clip but crushes the entire range not great if you don't like certain imagery getting murky and your average picture levels fluctuate from shot to shot
    Panny will do a bit of both but softclips the whites quite nicely and doesn't crush as much. Panny worked for me.

All oled have sample and hold effect which you might perceive as judder on pans regardless of matching refresh rate with content and cadence.

Plasmas are still much better in terms of motion presentation but its not something i get too bothered by even though I can see it.

Craftsman
    I have a Panasonic 65" OLED TV which I bought last July and can honestly say if I can send it back, even if I lose money, I would box it and send it tomorrow.
    The EPG is continually being lost and the only way to recover it is to use RESTART

I have checked the aerial cable both physically and at the aerial (going on the roof to check this)
    I've also purchased a One for All TV booster which has improved the picture (signal level 96% and Signal Quality 100%) but the EPG is still shite with No Information being shown across the whole guide resulting in RESTART having to be used multiple times per day to restore it.
    We are seeing the picture freeze whilst the sound continues.
    The remote control often acts as if buttons have been pressed multiple times.
    The TV is very slow to respond to most commands - even Menu and Settings are slow to respond.

It is a huge source of arguments and if it wasn't so expensive I would gladly take a hammer to it.

I will be doing 2 things tomorrow
    1. Contacting Panasonic to see what they say about it, and if I can return it.
    2. Removing it from the wall and swapping it with the old Samsung TV it replaced which is in our spare room.

Master
    Got a new TV delivered yesterday as my old 48” LG has started to display a bit of shadowing across the bottom. Also, it was on old Edge lit model so suffered a lot of blooming on certain scenes.
    I did consider going OLED because, well, it seems that’s the way to go. But, my room gets a fair amount of direct sunlight during the day. Most online stuff I was reading was pointing me back towards QLED for my usage. So started looking at full array type models.

Anyway, I went for a 55” Hisense Mini-LED QLED and got to say my initial impressions are very positive. Appreciate OLED is the answer for the best blacks.. but what a difference this mini-LED is compared to my old Edge lit LG.