closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Swap and NH35 for a better movement

Swap and NH35 for a better movement

Morning all,

Not sure if this has been asked before but would it be possible to swap an NH35 movement in a watch for one of better quality? I did a quick look online and it may not be possible with for example an ETA it all depends on height, length of hands etc... but what about other movements either Swiss or just an upgraded Seiko or Citizen movement?

Is it possible to do, has anyone here done it or know anyone who can?

Thanks

You can swap from a NH35/NH36 to the Seiko equivalent 4R35/4R36 relatively easily. They are effectively the same movement but the Seiko branded movements have better build quality and slightly better specs.

Whats the watch in question, its something I may be able to help with?

Grand Master
    I’ve yet to see a difference in quality between Seiko-stamped movements and equivalent NH versions, and believe me I’ve looked carefully!

As I’ve stated on another thread, NH 35/36 movements often benefit from being partially stripped and adjusted when new, sometimes the hairspring will need minor trueing up to get it just right, the spring needs to be sitting evenly between the regulator pins and adjustment has to be made to achieve this. The balance will need setting into beat carefully before any regulation is carried out. If the amplitude’s a bit low it’s worth stripping out the balance, pallet lever , escape wheel and end jewels, cleaning thoroughly, then re- lubricating after epilame treatment. This will invariably get the movement running at its optimum but it’s a job for a repairer who has the skills, equipment and experience. It’s approximately an hour’s work and I’ve done this many times on new Seiko/Miyota/Hattori movements when they don’t run as well as they should. They’re cheap for a reason, nothing wrong with the designs or component quality but they do benefit from a bit of careful work.

Epilame treatment to the pallet jewels and escape wheel teeth is standard on Swiss movements, it prevents migration of the lubricant, but I’m not convinced the Seiko and Miyota movements parts get treated. It’s a question of best practice in my opinion, getting the oil to stay where it should makes sense so I treat all Seiko and Miyota escapement parts this way.

Replacing a movement might seem tempting, but I see it as a last resort after a repairer has assessed the watch and given a professional opinion. It certainly isn't the panacea regardless of what gets posted on the internet by the Seiko fraternity.

Thanks for your feedback gents.

The watch in question is a Venezianico, it seems to be their standard movement now I seem to remember when they started up they used Swiss movements. Its not for snobbish reasons its more about having something more reliable but if they can be easily looked after then I am fine with it.

The 6r35 (or at least one of the 6r range) movement is a direct swap. The movement has a longer power reserve, something like 50 hours or so.
    There is also the NE15 equivalent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    The 6r35 (or at least one of the 6r range) movement is a direct swap. The movement has a longer power reserve, something like 50 hours or so.
    There is also the NE15 equivalent.
    70 hours

I'm still surprised that Seiko don't have a drop-in quartz alternative. So many of their watches would be more appealing if they were simply grab and go.