closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: International Holocaust Day

International Holocaust Day

A very difficult time in many parts of the world at present but we must not forget the events of the past either.

It would be nice if people could learn from history.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

BP surely.?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    BP surely.?
    Certainly should have been.

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    :bilge:
    Making inflammatory comments like this one — and don't for a moment pretend that this isn't — in G+D, when the boss isn't around to tidy the muck away, is a pretty poor show.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Making inflammatory comments like this one — and don't for a moment pretend that this isn't — in G+D, when the boss isn't around to tidy the muck away, is a pretty poor show.
    Same applies to the OP unless we’re turning a multitude of blind eyes to the big picture here.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Given the current situation in the Middle East It has the potential to become inflammatory, the BP would have been a safer place, if you've read anything else into my comment - it's all in your head.

We must never forget.

Master
    We must never use this previous genocide when referencing current genocides. That much I do know.

We must never forget. Always remember. Never forget. IMO

The current perpetrators would be better served keeping quiet this year.

Master

The amount of antisemitism in the world is unbelievable. This is a topic that should never have to be hidden in a secret sub forum.

My wife’s father is Israeli and his parents were from Berlin, he was born in Israel and suffice to say times were hard.

Whatever you think of Israel they have a right to mourn without antisemitic posts.
    Last edited by Rodder; 27th January 2024 at 18:11.

Ignoring the current situation the holocaust is something we should never forget. It’s a stain on humanity and that shouldn’t be a controversial opinion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I went to Auschwitz 40 years ago I lost a day of my life.

The sight of hair and spectacles and the like in the glass fronted rooms still haunts me.

I knew 2 concentration camp survivors, the nicest people you will ever meet.

They where only alive by chance,they never told me of the horrors they saw.

The kindnes and compassion they had for others was untainted by past pains,they never showed hate to anyone.

I have also met and been abused by a German WW2 NAZI soldier.

Some people on this forum are up there with the PO investigators,blindly led by one man who spills his hate everywhere.

Blog Entries
    Thoughts are with those whose families were touched by the holocaust.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 28th January 2024 at 00:51.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I went to Auschwitz 40 years ago I lost a day of my life.

The sight of hair and spectacles and the like in the glass fronted rooms still haunts me.

I knew 2 concentration camp survivors, the nicest people you will ever meet.

They where only alive by chance,they never told me of the horrors they saw.

The kindnes and compassion they had for others was untainted by past pains,they never showed hate to anyone.

Some people on this forum are up there with the PO investigators,blindly led by one man who spills his hate everywhere.
    Did you just stand and suffer the abuse from the Nazi, seems an odd thing to do, where’s yer indomitability man? Or were you a small boy and it was that kind of abuse…in which case my deepest sympathies, must ve been awful.
    Last edited by Passenger; 28th January 2024 at 10:54.

Master
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

Deportations of Jews from Breslau, then part of Germany. Now Wroclaw in Poland.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 28th January 2024 at 11:45.

Blog Entries
    There's an initiative called 'Stolpersteine' or in English: stumbling stones.

https://stichting-stolpersteine.nl/w...teine/?lang=en

It is basically a copper 'stone' in the pavement to commemorate a Jewish person who was taken away from the address near that copper stone.

The process of getting a Stolpersteine in front of a home somewhere in the Netherlands up to the moment the stone is put into the ground, takes a long time. Our local council has decided to do the right thing: they made a request on behalf of the whole town. Every known address where a person was taken away from should have a stone. In the mean time, the city council has a leading role by putting down granite stones with the same information until the copper ones are placed. They will replace the engraved granite stones.

I used to live in an area of the town where most houses are more than 100 years old. And during the Covid period, my wife and I started to make long walks all across the area and we started noticing those temporary stones. More and more appeared when we walked on the pavement near the old homes. Imagine: "Oh here's a stone!" "And there!" "Here are three more!" Name, day of birth, day of them being murdered. Yes the Nazis ran a tight ship when it came to documenting their crimes.

In the end (and I have written about that in 2020 on these pages) I found out that the number of people (from my town) taken away to concentration camps was much higher than the local dead-count as a result of Covid.

I also wrote about the monument in the park next to my house, commemorating the deportation of > 1100 psychiatric patients from a specialized hospital. Every year, there's a remembrance day and the monument is cleaned and maintained by the school at the other side of the park.

Are we, Dutch, the good people we pretend to be with all those stones? No. 75% of all Jewish people in the Netherlands was taken away and murdered. In Belgium, the number is 'only' 40%. The Anne Frank Stichting in Amsterdam has the answer:

https://www.annefrank.org/en/anne-fr...estern-europe/

A long story that lead to a lot of 'outside the justice system punishments' (to put it euphemistically...) after the war. Another thing the Dutch are reluctant to talk about.

Last edited by thieuster; 28th January 2024 at 14:52.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    We must never use this previous genocide when referencing current genocides. That much I do know.

We must never forget. Always remember. Never forget. IMO
    If we're not allowed to draw parallels between past and current events then what's the point in remembering history? Which is it? Always remember, but forget if remembering is uncomfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    If we're not allowed to draw parallels between past and current events then what's the point in remembering history? Which is it? Always remember, but forget if remembering is uncomfortable?
    My thoughts exactly , the whole point to remember is to make sure it doesn’t happen again….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Forgive and forget Major. God knows how...

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Forgive and forget Major. God knows how...
    Maybe it’d be cathartic if he shared details of the experience….can’t be many folk here who have been abused by a WW2 Nazi…I’ ll admit to being curious about the details, circumstances…

Blog Entries
    Maybe it’d be cathartic if he shared details of the experience….can’t be many folk here who have been abused by a WW2 Nazi…I’ ll admit to being curious about the details, circumstances…
    Do you really think sharing those kind of details on a public forum would be a wise idea? And are they really the kind of things which would be suitable for the G&D? To be honest I really can't see why anyone would be 'curious about the details, circumstances…' either.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Do you really think sharing those kind of details on a public forum would be a wise idea? And are they really the kind of things which would be suitable for the G&D? To be honest I really can't see why anyone would be 'curious about the details, circumstances…' either.
    It’s genuinely one of the most intriguing things I’ve ever read on the forum….”I’ve also met and been abused by a Nazi WW2 soldier”…what an extraordinary singular experience…

It’s genuinely one of the most intriguing things I’ve ever read on the forum….”I’ve also met and been abused by a Nazi WW2 soldier”…what an extraordinary singular experience…
    Could have just been verbal - called him a twat?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ignoring the current situation the holocaust is something we should never forget. It’s a stain on humanity and that shouldn’t be a controversial opinion.
    100 percent this

Blog Entries
    Certainly seems to have made an impression on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Could have just been verbal - called him a twat?
    I suppose it could, the banality of evil huh.