closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommendation to service a Seamaster Diver 300M?

Master

Recommendation to service a Seamaster Diver 300M?

Can anyone recommend a decent servicer of Omegas please?

I've got this Seamaster (https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...21230412003001) which is losing 20 seconds a day, and has less than a day's power reserve. In the past I've sent Omegas to STS, and have been very happy with the service, particularly with the refinishing of bracelets and cases. However, with this one, it's already in excellent condition, so doesn't need that additional work.

Can anyone recommend someone who could internally service it? Preferably cheaper than the £530 STS is quoting....

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tredders View Post
    Can anyone recommend a decent servicer of Omegas please?

I've got this Seamaster (https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...21230412003001) which is losing 20 seconds a day, and has less than a day's power reserve. In the past I've sent Omegas to STS, and have been very happy with the service, particularly with the refinishing of bracelets and cases. However, with this one, it's already in excellent condition, so doesn't need that additional work.

Can anyone recommend someone who could internally service it? Preferably cheaper than the £530 STS is quoting....

Thanks.
    I’ve just sent my planet ocean to Genesis watchmaking which was also losing 20seconds a day

Journeyman

Omega watch - servicing

Hi

I also used Mr Potter at Genesis, circa 3 years ago for my Omega Seamaster Chrono.

First service after many years (not used much) and I was more than happy at the outcome. I did however elect to retain the 'provenance marks' on the bracelet and clasp.

The hardest part was waiting to get into the work schedule/diary!

L-K
    Last edited by Low-Key; 25th January 2024 at 18:15.

Master
    Thanks both. I’ve filled in the “please book me in” form on the Genesis website 👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    To add, I just got my Aqua Terra back from Duncan and am very happy with the work done. Top chap.

Master
    Remember to tell Duncan you are a tz member for a discount price

Quote Originally Posted by no.3 View Post
    Remember to tell Duncan you are a tz member for a discount price
    I never got a discounted price on my quote. Tbh I wouldn’t want one either I’m not a believer of mates rates
    I give quotes for the work I do and never discount and won’t expect anyone else to, the price is the price Accept it or find someone cheaper

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    I never got a discounted price on my quote. Tbh I wouldn’t want one either I’m not a believer of mates rates
    I give quotes for the work I do and never discount and won’t expect anyone else to, the price is the price Accept it or find someone cheaper
    Maybe useful info for other members

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    I have used Genesis before, and currently, and always got the 20% off (not the parts and wouldn’t expect that) as well as great service. This offer was freely given some years ago by Duncan approaching Eddie and it is posted in the stickies of the Boys Room. Each to their own but I don’t particularly consider the offer to be mates rates - perhaps it provides stable volume or more interesting work than the general public would bring in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    [QUOTE=chrisjones3;6344622]I have used Genesis before, and currently, and always got the 20% off (not the parts and wouldn’t expect that) as well as great service. This offer was freely given some years ago by Duncan approaching Eddie and it is posted in the stickies of the Boys Room. Each to their own but I don’t particularly consider the offer to be mates rates - perhaps it provides stable volume or more interesting work than the general public would bring
    Correct. He made the offer when he first opened his business

Grand Master
    In answer to the above, you have to remember that Duncan is an Omega and Rolex accredited repairer who runs a business on a commercial basis. By comparison with Omega and Rolex service centres his prices will be favourable but it’s unrealistic to expect ‘mates rates’, the guy is working to put bread on his table. Furthermore, the ongoing investment to keep accreditation is significant, tools and equipment have to meet ever more exacting standards.

If you own a co- axial Omega my strong advice is to send it to an Omega accredited repairer when it needs attention. I’ve serviced two, one was my own which despite its age had led a very easy life, the other was a favour for an architect friend who helped a family member. If I could access the right parts I’d gladly work on them, but without access to the escapement parts I won’t touch them. Omegas that pre-date the co- axial movement are generally more straightforward and like most repairers I’m usually happy to work on them.

The big brands have created a this situation, guys like Duncan are only allowed to discount prices to a limited extent and folks like me can’t get parts. Owners choose to own the watches, they have to accept the cost of ownership.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    In answer to the above, you have to remember that Duncan is an Omega and Rolex accredited repairer who runs a business on a commercial basis. By comparison with Omega and Rolex service centres his prices will be favourable but it’s unrealistic to expect ‘mates rates’, the guy is working to put bread on his table. Furthermore, the ongoing investment to keep accreditation is significant, tools and equipment have to meet ever more exacting standards.
    Actually, I don't believe Duncan is Omega accredited, sure I've read this on the forum some time ago and no mention on the Genesis website. I believe he must have a stock of Omega parts and from memory, offers 2 year warranty.

He did a great job on my Railmaster some years ago and is definitely recommended.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Actually, I don't believe Duncan is Omega accredited, sure I've read this on the forum some time ago and no mention on the Genesis website. I believe he must have a stock of Omega parts and from memory, offers 2 year warranty.

He did a great job on my Railmaster some years ago and is definitely recommended.
    Last time I talked with Duncan was around 3 years ago and he was definitely Omega Accredited then, I`d be v. surprised if he isn`t still.

Master
    I would definitely use Duncan (again - he is excellent in my experience) and if he is happy to offer forum members a discount, I’m sure he has factored that in to his business model.

I, like I suspect most people, are working to put ‘bread on the table’ and have to stay accredited, as well as maintaining tools and equipment to ever more exacting standards.

Unfortunately/fortunately that is just a fact of life.

Master

Last time I talked with Duncan was around 3 years ago and he was definitely Omega Accredited then, I`d be v. surprised if he isn`t still.
    I always thought he was Omega accredited but have a niggling memory of something on here to the contrary.

It’s plainly described in relation to Rolex/Tudor, otherwise not clear with Omega.

Regardless, as many on here know, his work is excellent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    I always thought he was Omega accredited but have a niggling memory of something on here to the contrary. It’s plainly described in relation to Rolex/Tudor, otherwise not clear with Omega. Regardless, as many on here know, his work is excellent.
    Yes. People have been wondering about this for a while, e.g.:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ited&p=3102144

I think as you say the conclusion must be that formally he isn't, but is bloody good and has parts access, so use with complete confidence.

He is still on the omega site as service centre so I’d say he is omega accredited

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    He is still on the omega site as service centre so I’d say he is omega accredited
    I’d say that’s case closed then. Never thought to look there TBH. Nice spot.

Last edited by Gomers; 2nd February 2024 at 21:11.

Master
    Indeed so, great.