closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credor 'Kuon' GCLX999 - wow!

Credor 'Kuon' GCLX999 - wow!

Almost like a sports version of the Eichi, again with a porcelain dial and painted indices..

I'm hovering over the order button for one of these from Japan - price point is much lower than the Eichi. Just the crown guard design is a bit off to me - something 'Calatrava-esque' about them.

https://youtube.com/shorts/bw2pOEtMa...p0FCZbNqLX7D8w

Love the porcelain dial Eichi.

So classy.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Superb.

I know what you mean about the crown guard though. Design would be purer without it.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 22nd January 2024 at 22:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    Superb.

I know what you mean about the crown guard though. Design would be purer without it.
    Agree. Reminds me of 90's Seamaster 300s but in a bad way.

Master
    ~£7k seems like a bargain.

Blog Entries
    Not for me I think

Meh...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Credor is a brand that I just don’t get. I always think if you took any of their watches, put Accurist on the dial and priced it at £99 in H Samuel it still wouldn’t sell. This one’s no different. I don’t like the overall appearance, the crown guards or the branding.

Lots of cheap watches look like the have stolen the styling of much more expensive watches - I still wouldn’t buy the vast majority of them though!

The movement looks alright through the caseback, and even the clasp looks like a massive improvement.

Very nice :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I don't like the porcelain dial. It reminds me of the branding on a vintage urinal.

I am in the camp of ‘don’t get it’ yes the quality will be fantastic, the movement top class but you have to look at it, for me it’s dull.

Porcelain dials are probably bottom of my list of wants in a watch. I can’t think of many things worse.

Craftsman
    Not for me, for some reason it reminds me of the duty free watches you see in the in-flight magazine.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Incredible! Ever since seeing an Eichi years ago I have hoped they would do a stainless steel one. How unaffordable is this?!

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Incredible! Ever since seeing an Eichi years ago I have hoped they would do a stainless steel one. How unaffordable is this?!

About £7k landed in UK

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    About £7k landed in UK
    Will try and see one at Wako in Tokyo when I'm there in the spring.

Absolutely gorgeous. The serene sweep of that spring drive movement works perfectly in an elegant dress watch.
    Last edited by gunner; 23rd January 2024 at 10:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am in the camp of ‘don’t get it’ yes the quality will be fantastic, the movement top class but you have to look at it, for me it’s dull.
    +1

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.

I find the dial extremely unexciting. The case is also very plain for a sports watch and there’s no justification for crown guards if it’s to be a dress watch. Lastly the bracelet looks like an afterthought.

The whole look is that of a parts bin special, I know that won’t be the case but I can’t see any evidence of a considered design here.

Craftsman

Another achingly 'safe' Japanese wristwatch, another horrid pin'n'collar bracelet. For £7k... Kekkōdesu!

Logo reminds me a bit too much of the Disney logo at the start of movies

Master
    Just looked at it in more detail via the Fratello link. The crown guard is awful and really cheapens the whole aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I don't like the porcelain dial. It reminds me of the branding on a vintage urinal.
    Never looked at them in that way before but now you have pointed that out it really does look like a urinal

I like how they're done the power reserve indicator.

The watch is incredibly ordinary to my eyes, I guess in the hand you could see and feel the quality but it doesn't interest me enough to try and see one for real.

Craftsman
    No offense to OP but I have a pet hate of posting a link to look at a watch rather than pictures (anyone else or just me?)

Nice watch!

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Me too...just keep scrolling fast fw to the photos on tt

I love the hands (especially the taper at the tips) and the batons (the way 3/6/9 are subtly different to the others). I'm sure that the build quality will be superb.

I really, really dislike the logo. As well as looking like the Disney logo (good spot!) it's just totally out of kilter with the minimalism of the rest of the watch.

Darn it guys, now I can't unsee the Disney logo! Saved me some money i don't have to be fair.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the Credor logo is OK so long as it is small, compact and preferably applied:

Agree with comments above about the version on the GCLX999, which is not only too big but with elongated prongs leading to the "Disney effect".

I don't like porcelain dials.

The hands are nice and I'm sure the movement is top hole - but crown guards?

I think Japanese aesthetic is rather different to European. Why else would they have that mix of fonts including the strange Gothic on GS's?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I think Japanese aesthetic is rather different to European. Why else would they have that mix of fonts including the strange Gothic on GS's?
    Not sure if that is Japanese aesthetic, or just Seiko aesthetic.

Darn it guys, now I can't unsee the Disney logo! Saved me some money i don't have to be fair.
    I really like it but if you could merge both models together to have the simple credor from one with the blue hands from the other it could have been a done deal.

You would spit your coffee out if you owned a £50k Eiichi II and then saw this released.

£7k for a boring looking Credor?

Or £7k for a much better looking Grand Seiko?

I would pick a GS.

Royal Doulton would look more appropriate on the dial, not a fan of these either and I do love Grand Seiko

I don't have a problem with the porcelain dial or the crown guard, but I do dislike the brushed lug tops; I know they match the brushed parts of the bracelet, but better to polish the whole bracelet and lug tops.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Everybody to their own, but I’m not a fan

Some owner pics showing in particular the case complexity as well as movement finishing. It appears from the pics that case complexity is levels above Grand Seiko and really something you'd see on the more expensive Calatravas. Take a look anyway.

Integrated bracelet is a bummer though - this would look great on a strap.

Reason for the pin and collar links is because the bracelet is made of both steel and titanium, with pin and collar being common on GS titanium bracelets

So anyway after having a zoom call with the retailer in Japan, being shown very closely the watch, it being 4am in the UK and me having one too many beers I've ordered it :)

It absolutely looks different and much less flat in real life where you can see the light play.

Interestingly the retailer explained that he believes this is the release Credor are using as their stepping stone to entering mainstream Western markets, much like the Snowflake was for Grand Seiko. That being said, volumes will be very low- the annual production of the Kuon will be less than 300 pieces.

This would be at the lower end of their pricing range when entering Western markets where - they've also released a watch called the Gold Feather which is squarely aimed at the Patek Calatrava segment which he reckons is also coming to Western Seiko boutiques.

My guess is that by the time prices are translated to GBP the Kuon is likely to sit in the £10-12k price segment in the UK and the Goldfeather in the £25k-30k segment. The Eichi II can already be purchased out of the London Seiko Boutique for around £50k and of course they have some crazy models costing north of £250k as well.

If the above is true and Credor are indeed going to become more accessible in the West, well that's interesting to say the least. I'd guess it is more a move to cement Seiko's overall brand perception than a revenue play, given the fact that Credor production volumes are very low.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 24th January 2024 at 05:45.

Master
    Looks like a 90's Tissot with that bracelet and only 2 years warranty? Not much faith in their own product it seems.

When its available around the 3-4k mark used it might resemble some kind of value if one loves the 90's styling.

So anyway after having a zoom call with the retailer in Japan, being shown very closely the watch, it being 4am in the UK and me having one too many beers I've ordered it :)

It absolutely looks different and much less flat in real life where you can see the light play.

Interestingly the retailer explained that he believes this is the release Credor are using as their stepping stone to entering mainstream Western markets, much like the Snowflake was for Grand Seiko. That being said, volumes will be very low- the annual production of the Kuon will be less than 300 pieces.

This would be at the lower end of their pricing range when entering Western markets where - they've also released a watch called the Gold Feather which is squarely aimed at the Patek Calatrava segment which he reckons is also coming to Western Seiko boutiques.

My guess is that by the time prices are translated to GBP the Kuon is likely to sit in the £10-12k price segment in the UK and the Goldfeather in the £25k-30k segment. The Eichi II can already be purchased out of the London Seiko Boutique for around £50k and of course they have some crazy models costing north of £250k as well.

If the above is true and Credor are indeed going to become more accessible in the West, well that's interesting to say the least. I'd guess it is more a move to cement Seiko's overall brand perception than a revenue play, given the fact that Credor production volumes are very low.
    Amazing, I doubt you will regret it. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when it arrives. Ever since I saw the Eichi II I have been hoping for them to make a stainless steel version. I agree integrated bracelet is not ideal but it's the most practical and versatile and does look nice. Have never heard of a bracelet being a mix of titanium and steel, will keep the weight down at least.

Stunning
    Finishing level is perfection. I love the minimalistic style and this will always look good. Always.

About pin&collar?Mostly people are connecting that with poor quality or thinking it is not up to the game. I can say, with having 100+ watches, that it has been easy to adjust/change, never had any issues. In fact, all the bracelet or endlink problems I had are ones with more expensive screw links. It is quite easy to scratch the case when operating; screws tend to get loose and then you need to use loctite which I also don't like (if I have screw why do I need the glue...).

Master

Booze-fuelled purchases for the win!

I look forward to seeing it on the incoming thread (and maybe on SC shortly after )

I didn’t get the fuss about Credor at all until a colleague showed me his Eichi II. In the metal it was utterly stunning, everything about it. The dial and hands are just perfect enough to be obviously handmade, if that makes sense.
    He also paid significantly under RRP, which softened the blow considerably.

I agree re: the crown guards, but otherwise I think this looks beautiful.

I have a lower grade of this movement in my Omiwatari, and I’m a huge fan of that. The finishing on this one looks amazing.

Congrats Ryan!

Master

I appreciate it’s relative, but that is fantastic value. Porcelain dials are exceptionally hard to make and are entirely hand made. They also have an historical importance in watch making and a pedigree associated with that. You almost never see porcelain dials for anywhere near this price and they’re generally the preserve for the highest end brands more expensive watches. The movement finishing also looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure it's a beautifully made watch, but that dial makes me think of old toilets!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Fair play putting your money where your mouth is. The real world pictures look much, much nicer.

I think it’s one of those which you need to see in real life to fully appreciate and maybe even understand. Looking forward to some incoming pics.

The logo on the clasp looks a bit different from the dial, almost looks Arabic.

Interestingly the retailer explained that he believes this is the release Credor are using as their stepping stone to entering mainstream Western markets, much like the Snowflake was for Grand Seiko.
    When do they plan to transition to 50 new releases a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    When do they plan to transition to 50 new releases a week?
    I think at some stage Seiko will run out of landmarks/rivers/lakes/astrological phenomena to look out over and at that stage they'll run out of inspiration for new releases.

Master
    I think that look stunning. Well done Ryan, look forward to seeing some pictures when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Fair play putting your money where your mouth is. The real world pictures look much, much nicer.

I think it’s one of those which you need to see in real life to fully appreciate and maybe even understand. Looking forward to some incoming pics.

The logo on the clasp looks a bit different from the dial, almost looks Arabic.
    Yep it's a punt but I was blown away by the live video call so let's see.