closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steeldive ploprof

Master

Steeldive ploprof

I love zany watches and the ploprof design is certainly that!!

I've had a few helson sharkies but can't find one for sale at the moment. I won't spend omega money so it seems all that is left is the steeldive.

Any pros or cons of ownership would be gratefully received please

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I love zany watches and the ploprof design is certainly that!!

I've had a few helson sharkies but can't find one for sale at the moment. I won't spend omega money so it seems all that is left is the steeldive.

Any pros or cons of ownership would be gratefully received please
    I sold mine here a few days ago

Loved the thing but it was just a bit too big for my modest wrist, very comfortable, certainly attracted comments, timekeeping was excellent and I imagine in months to come, I'll regret releasing it . The quility of finish was quite remarkable , given the price of it , so, have a go. If you would like more snaps, I have kept them, happy to share.

That BGW9 lume is impressive.

Steeldive tend to lume generously and their watches glow like torches as a result.

I've got their 25000m diver (pure madness) and you can literally read by the lume.

Steeldive make great, fun watches for the money, go for it

Grand Master
    I was tempted by one a while ago but the lug holes being really close to the edge put me off.
    There is talk about it somewhere with the pics showing this.

Found it.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 22nd January 2024 at 21:01.

Let’s stop all this Red and go straight to final destination. Meet you tomorrow?

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=Ploprof

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Let’s stop all this Red and go straight to final destination. Meet you tomorrow?

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=Ploprof

Master
    I had one some time ago. Excellent quality for the cash. Insane lume and superb timekeeping. I wore it on a shark mesh and an engineer, and it worked perfectly with both.

A weighty piece as one would expect, but a good dollop for a small splodge. Never had an issue with the spring bar holes, and didn't notice them being that close to the edge of the case either.

Last edited by Filterlab; 23rd January 2024 at 15:33.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I had one some time ago. Excellent quality for the cash. Insane lume and superb timekeeping. I wore it on a shark mesh and an engineer, and it worked perfectly with both.

A weighty piece as one would expect, but a good dollop for a small splodge. Never had an issue with the spring bar holes, and didn't notice them being that close to the edge of the case either.

And those pics are every reason I always wanted one.
    One heck of a watch for not a huge amount of cash.

What's it look like with a dinner jacket? Anyone got any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    What's it look like with a dinner jacket? Anyone got any pictures?
    Probably not as bad as you think.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/have-...wear-approval/

I’d say if you like the look of the ploprof go for it , the steeldive looks an awesome watch for the money
    I have the omega version and it’s a stupid watch which I paid far to much money on and gets very little wrist time but I do love it and sometimes do feel the need for a safe door on the wrist and it does wear extremely well for a beast of a watch

Master
    Deal down with a fellow former and looking forward to its arrival :0)

Thanks for all the helpful comments

Does the button lock the bezel on the snidy ones?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Yes, my Steeldive did.

That’s good to know. I’ve always thought these were so ridiculously massive that I’d have to try one some day to satisfy my curiosity. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Yes, my Steeldive did.

I would be interested is seeing the difference between the steel dive and the Helson, I own the latter and it’s a cracking watch for the money.

Master
    Yep, same action as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I would be interested is seeing the difference between the steel dive and the Helson, I own the latter and it’s a cracking watch for the money.
    The Helson is more a homage to the original ploprof and the steeldive is a homage to the modern reissue ploprof
    I’ve had a couple of the Helson ones and a helson fifty fathoms homage and I thought they where excellent I think Helson make a very nice watch

Master
    That’s good to know. I’ve always thought these were so ridiculously massive that I’d have to try one some day to satisfy my curiosity. Food for thought.
    Strange that they wear quite small. Probably because of the the short lug to lug

I know it’s not historically correct but this one appeals to me. Just seems to work.

[IMG][/IMG]

Master
    I note that the new ones are in a monobloc case. Any idea how to get the moveout for regulation??

Last edited by redmonaco; 24th January 2024 at 14:12.

Through the front as per Ploprof 600 I assume ?

Likewise.

It's a stupidly big watch, but sometimes it's fun to wear it.

The Helson is a very good facsimile of the original PloProf (made, I think, at a time when the PloProf was out of production).

The Steeldive is much, much cheaper with a mundane (but perfectly OK) NH35 movement and, as others have said, a replica of the modern PloProf.

I'd be interested in a comparison, too, but not enough to have bought an SD one myself.

I suspect, though, that had the SD been available at the time, I would have bought it instead of the Helson, just because it's a lot cheaper and it's just not a watch that gets a lot of wrist time.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Through the front as per Ploprof 600 I assume ?
    :0)

I was hoping that someone may be able to add a little more detail...

:0)

I was hoping that someone may be able to add a little more detail...
    The bezel comes off and there is a retaining ring underneath, this screws down holding the crystal in place against a gasket, there is a split winding stem to allow the movement and dial to come out, same as any front loader really, I have a thing for monoblock cases for some inexplicable reason

The Helson does differ in the fact it has a stem retaining screw in the otherwise monoblock case.

If there was a sterile dialled version of the Steel Dive I would probably buy one just for a comparison. I will own and original Ploprof 600 one day!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th January 2024 at 21:25.

The bezel comes off and there is a retaining ring underneath, this screws down holding the crystal in place against a gasket, there is a split winding stem to allow the movement and dial to come out, same as any front loader really, I have a thing for monoblock cases for some inexplicable reason

The Helson does differ in the fact it has a stem retaining screw in the otherwise monoblock case.

If there was a sterile dialled version of the Steel Dive I would probably buy one just for a comparison. I will own and original Ploprof 600 one day!
    What he said lol!

- - - Updated - - -

What he said lol!

Steeldive ploprof

I note that the new ones are in a monobloc case. Any idea how to get the moveout for regulation??

Just noticed this looks to have the 600 Ploprof style crown as opposed to the 1200 which would fit in with the monoblock case
    I would have thought the Steeldive had the 1200m screw in case back and crown?

On the 600m the red is the crown, the yellow is a nut that screws the crown down. It does have the 1200 HEV though.

On the 1200 the red is the crown the blue is a crown protector.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th January 2024 at 22:30.

Master

Cool, thanks.

Does anyone know if any of the other Chinese manufacturers do a Ploprof?

The more I look at Filterlab’s pics on that mesh, the more I want one 🙄

Master
    Well, I'm delighted with mine!! Arrived yesterday courtesy of Mr Maseman :0)

This version is an homage to the modern iteration of Omegas iconic design so can't compare with the Helson version (of which I have had 4 so far). BUT, I would say that the case finishing is superior to Helson and also the bezel action and click is a delight and again better than the Helson offering, albeit it is a bit slack'ish when locked. The lume lasts all night and was easily read so that's a big plus for me. I'd prefer having a swiss 28800 movement in it but I am sure the NH35 will be a good workhorse and for the price they are a marvellous fun buy IMO

That looks great. Glad you got one.

Looks fab RM, I will admit to being very envious.

Well, I'm delighted with mine!! Arrived yesterday courtesy of Mr Maseman :0)

This version is an homage to the modern iteration of Omegas iconic design so can't compare with the Helson version (of which I have had 4 so far). BUT, I would say that the case finishing is superior to Helson and also the bezel action and click is a delight and again better than the Helson offering, albeit it is a bit slack'ish when locked. The lume lasts all night and was easily read so that's a big plus for me. I'd prefer having a swiss 28800 movement in it but I am sure the NH35 will be a good workhorse and for the price they are a marvellous fun buy IMO

Master
    The more I look at Filterlab’s pics on that mesh, the more I want one 🙄
    The more I look at it, the more I realise I shouldn't have sold it.

Sorry matey 😢

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    The more I look at it, the more I realise I shouldn't have sold it.

Master
    Sorry matey 😢
    It's all part of the hobby. That's why I've owned four Sinn 857s.

I had my Helson on yesterday.

Personally, I prefer the vintage look.

I think all that would tempt me to a SD (or another AliExpress brand) PloProf would be a Titanium version.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?