closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New 40mm Schofield

New 40mm Schofield

The Light. Field watch. One in PVD.
    I love Schofield, and I like Giles a lot; whole vibe of what he does is marvelous, but the ones I've owned have always ended back in the watch box because they're just too bloody big. Really glad he's done this, and to me they look lovely; not quite like anythign else, as a Schofield should be.
    All that said, not sure how I feel about £2,000+ for something driven by an NH34A. It's a great workhorse movement, but that's not a workhorse price.
    What do folk think?
    https://schofieldwatchcompany.com/pr...watches-light/

Also, it's QR springbars, which is an absolute no-no for me having almost lost a Farer taking a jacket off once when a cuff thread caught the QR bar "bobble".

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Also, it's QR springbars, which is an absolute no-no for me having almost lost a Farer taking a jacket off once when a cuff thread caught the QR bar "bobble".

FWIW, QR springbars are very easily removed if they're a concern - just grab the offending bobble with a pair of pliers and it pulls out fairly easily, the bar then slides out and can be replaced with the more conventional alternative.

Good-looking watches, but £2K is a bit daft given the alternative at that level.

There's nothing I like about those and the crowns are so out of keeping with a field watch it's ridiculous. As for the price, surely nobody spends £2k on a watch with an NH movement, do they?

A huge own goal IMO.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I suppose I'm just an old stick-in-the-mud, but my eyebrow starts to twitch if a watch has an NH and it's over £400.

I'm with you but didn't want to be too rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    I suppose I'm just an old stick-in-the-mud, but my eyebrow starts to twitch if a watch has an NH and it's over £400.

Looks are personal of course, but I think these are marvelous. But I agree with you, despite being the least expensive watch Giles has ever made I think £2k+ for an NH-driven watch is an issue (even if one accepts that the design and build quality are worth something).

I’ve posted about this before and still feel the same, no matter how much I like the watch I could never pay that amount for that movement, a movement that is a favourite of many of the aliexpress copies.

For me it’s a real shame as I really like the brand. I bought my Signalman DLC in 2017 and had a very pleasant chat with Giles at the time. He was full of enthusiasm for the future and told me to keep an eye out for some very exciting watches that were coming soon, using materials that hadn’t been used before. All we’ve had since then is the same cases and the only new material seems to have been gold plated brass, hardly new and hardly premium. The new case should really have helped him push on to the next level, and I really like the look, but the movement choice is a huge own goal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Looks are personal of course, but I think these are marvelous. But I agree with you, despite being the least expensive watch Giles has ever made I think £2k+ for an NH-driven watch is an issue (even if one accepts that the design and build quality are worth something).
    I think they are worth something. But the pricing for sure would have allowed for a somewhat better movement to have been used, and not doing so looks like having a laugh at your customers' expense.

An NH movement at that price is insulting, especially given the incremental cost of using something substantially better.

What would those with more knowledge than me deem appropriate?

I think they are worth something. But the pricing for sure would have allowed for a somewhat better movement to have been used, and not doing so looks like having a laugh at your customers' expense.
    Hard to argue. I have an Undone Basecamp Classic (which is ace, btw) with the same movement that was $325.

Philip doesn't like it…