closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just an idea so far - opinions please - UPDATED

Quote Originally Posted by endure
    How about PRS-1 style hands? I reckon a PRS-1 with a date window and the 24 hour time ring would look stunning.
    Yes, please show a mockup of this version!!!

Eddie, can you please confirm that this is an auto, modified ETA 2893 as previously discussed to allow for independent setting of the 12-hr hand without hacking the movement? Judging from previous comments, I think many of us view that as a necessity...

Grand Master
    That one I LOVE! :D

You're going to bankrupt us, Eddie. Not through individually expensive watches but a whole cachet of ones we can't live without.

It'd be the mutts nutts with either luminous numerals or applied silver arabics...

Ming

Craftsman

Re: Another one

Quote Originally Posted by mindbender
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Here's another possibility

Eddie
    This is very nice. I like this one. The dial really looks great here. :D Make it, please. :D
    That would get my vote Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by JoT

Eddie
    This is very nice. I like this one. The dial really looks great here. :D Make it, please. :D
    Yup.. Cooking with gas on this one... clean dial, all the detail required but quite understated (still has Speedbird & GMT which is great), good readability on the hours - classic lines - a winner :!:

I'll have to save up for one though :roll:

Cheers
    Chris

It would have to have the modified 2893 or it wouldn't be worth doing. Lots of ordinary GMTs out there but not a lot with full functionality at an affordable price. Unfortunatley, I don't see this one happening in less than a year.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    It would have to have the modified 2893 or it wouldn't be worth doing. Lots of ordinary GMTs out there but not a lot with full functionality at an affordable price. Unfortunatley, I don't see this one happening in less than a year.

Eddie
    Take your time I only could buy so many watches at a time. :lol: I want the CAF where is it? :D :D
    Cheers

dryce

Quote Originally Posted by docd
    Quote Originally Posted by JoT

Eddie
    Yup.. Cooking with gas on this one... clean dial, all the detail required but quite understated (still has Speedbird & GMT which is great), good readability on the hours - classic lines - a winner :!:

I'll have to save up for one though :roll:

Cheers
    Chris
    I like the second version. I'd keep the subsecond marks and suggest that the second hand be given a small red dot near the end and that the hands be the same shape but made skeletal.

Andrew.

Craftsman
    As a newbie my opinion shouldn't matter, but what the heck, I'll voice it anyhow. The second version is much better. The only thing I'd change is the color of the hands. I'd paint the hands orange. I like orange.

Now, I really don't have a need for a second time zone, so maybe where the GMT dial is, there could be a power reserve.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Dilettante
    I like the arabics, indicators, seconds track and hands from this dial:

but I much prefer the layout of the "Speedbird GMT" text and the date location / color on this dial:

Also, now that I think about it, I think I actually prefer the all-white 24 hour wheel with black 24-hr format numerals, instead of the combo black/white background style...

Eddie any chance of seeing a photoshopped combo of the arabics, indicators, seconds track and hands from the first dial coupled with the layout of the "Speedbird GMT" text and the date location / color from the second dial??? Please??
    I'm with Brian also.

Journeyman

Really like the second one also...

Hello Eddie, and all...

The second design is superb.

Just a quick observation mind you, a couple changes as i see it. Make the minute hand's (whatever final style chosen) lenght, align within the inside end of the shorter of the 'two length' seconds track indices. I say this as I've alway been impressed with Rolex design as they set their dial to hand config, to have the seconds just "punch the inside" of the minute track, and the minute hand, ending right at the edge of the min track, and finally... the hour hand's lenght not "touching" any numbers in its hourly sweep around the arabics. Make all arabics and hands luminous, in white, not green... and perhaps the outter segment of the second hand lum tipped.

Next thought is my finding a real classy way to use the aviation mil spec triangle and its two dots at twelve? I don't see it as really being a neccesary addition, though it is certainly in the SB tradition! perhaps this one time use just a 12? as it's a very clean dial.

Signed screwcrown.

NICE LOOKING!

-Drew

Craftsman

Hubba Hubba!!!

I want one....!!!

Especially with the modified movt! :P

-Amer

Craftsman
    I agree with Drew's comments regarding hand length.

Master
    Have to pass this one too. Just changed jobs and haven't got my pay yet. Am saving for the DNGMT.

Master

Eddie
    Nice!!!

I really liked the first mock-up, but it was too close to the IWC. This second one keeps the elements I like from the design and is it's own watch. With full GMT functionality I would buy this.

Being totally honest about this, I'm not sure about a couple of points of this design:

1. The triangle at 12 looks out of place and I dont' thing it blends with the rest of the dial.

2. The hands are too "clumsy", perhaps the hands from design #1 would work better.

Please keep your comments and suggestions coming.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

dryce
    Being totally honest about this, I'm not sure about a couple of points of this design:

1. The triangle at 12 looks out of place and I dont' thing it blends with the rest of the dial.

2. The hands are too "clumsy", perhaps the hands from design #1 would work better.

Eddie
    Have you seen the hands on the Pirelli PZero range, silver or white
    (can't recall) but just frames so they're large but don't dominate
    the face quite so much?

If you invert the triangle then it would probably fit better with the
    density of marks around the dial.

Andrew.

Thomas Reid
    Three dots making a triangle instead of a triangle and two dots?

Best wishes,
    Bob

Eddie
    TBH I like the second one much less than the first. It's too smooth, too dressy. It doesn't look like the kind of watch that needs 2 timezones on it.

Grand Master

Eddie
    Try an updside down triangle for one, and for two, maybe try either hands from a Yao Type 48 or a scaled down version of Dreadnought hands?

Ming

Drop the triangle and use a 12 instead or maybe just bars for 3, 9 and 12. Maybe the hands from the 1903 but with lumed centers then again maybe skeletal sword hands like on the seamaster 120's?

Yes, please! I'll have one! Where so I sign!

Gorgeous design, Eddie.

Steve.

Master

Eddie
    Go with "12" at 12 in place of triangle. Simpler hands are always best. I think the SB1 hands were the best, but maybe the 1903 hands would work well here.

DELETED

Quote Originally Posted by endure
    TBH I like the second one much less than the first. It's too smooth, too dressy. It doesn't look like the kind of watch that needs 2 timezones on it.
    Bingo! This version is just a tad too delicate. Must be the seconds track...

Craftsman
    Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but exactly what kind of watch needs 2 timezones? I'm not sure I understand the purpose for a multi-time zone watch. Seems like it would be helpful for people that travel frequently.

Jack

Master
    What about nicking the hands of Ming's Lange?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogiants
    Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but exactly what kind of watch needs 2 timezones? I'm not sure I understand the purpose for a multi-time zone watch. Seems like it would be helpful for people that travel frequently.

Jack
    "GMT" or dual time zones is a relatively popular feature on a watch, at least amongst the WIS fraternity. It's useful when travelling, or when you frequently work with people in another time zone. You don't have to use it to track GMT, you could be in left coast time keeping track of someone in right coast time.

I think the responses here indicates the degree of interest in a GMT model?

Kevin

I'd be up for a GMT......the second design looks great. As you know, Eddie, my wife is off on an international trip 4 or 5 times a month....It's nice to know what time it is wherever she is at......Although, I know that watever time it is, she's shopping..!!

Master
    Greetings all,

I have been off-line for almost two months. I just came back on, and hope I am not too late for this exciting topic. A GMT Speedbird would be a welcome extension of the line, and I can see that many members agree.

Eddies? second draft is indeed great. IMO it?s because it looks more similar to earlier Speedbirds.

So, I will take the liberty of proposing a design that leans even more against the family tree:

Dial: Adaptation of the Speedbird 2 dial with a cutout for the GMT disc. It?s a beautiful dial with proven good looks in both black and cream. It has a lovely flat-top ?4?, a great date window, and yummy bold cardinal points.

Hands: Speedbird 2 minute and second hands, and a modified Speedbird 2 hour hand, slightly shorter, and with a flat end (ala some of the post-WWII pilot?s watches). Robust, differentiated hands will make for great legibility.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I?ve in a moving mess and catching up on the postings will be a major undertaking. Great to be back! :D

Regards,

Gert

Master
    Good to have you back. I hope all is ok in Vancouver. :D

Craftsman

my 2 cents worth

Use the 2nd dial layout
    ---use the original style hands or Breguet style hands
    ---use a red tip on the second hand
    ---remove the fractions of a second indices
    ---remove the triangle & dots fron 12:00 position
    ---use arabic numbers at 12, 4, 8 only
    ---use black on white GMT & date dials
    ---use SB 1903 style leather strap

Thomas Reid

Jack
    When I was young and thin, I was a Radioman in the US Coast Guard. My working time was spent in GMT (zulu) and my off duty time was spent in local. A GMT watch would have been seriously cool. I didn't know about them then.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    And lume them like the hands on the Datograph or Lange 1 luminous. I like that idea.

Ming

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Thein
    And lume them like the hands on the Datograph or Lange 1 luminous. I like that idea.

Ming
    Ah, the mystical "Tactical Lange" is beginning to take shape...

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Jack
    My sentiments exactly. Unless you are 'a really frequent' multi-zone flier I cannot see the point of a second time zone. If you really don't know what home-time is you shouldn't be going abroad as you will be endangering the local population. Once you know something is 2 or 4 or 8 hours fast or slow then you just know ... unless you choose to forget so that you can consult your watch. :roll:

By the way, I shall be having a DN GMT and my GMT hand will be set on Sheffield time ...

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Jack
    My sentiments exactly. Unless you are 'a really frequent' multi-zone flier I cannot see the point of a second time zone. If you really don't know what home-time is you shouldn't be going abroad as you will be endangering the local population. Once you know something is 2 or 4 or 8 hours fast or slow then you just know ... unless you choose to forget so that you can consult your watch. :roll:

By the way, I shall be having a DN GMT and my GMT hand will be set on Sheffield time ...

john
    For non-zulu life, I prefer the hour bezel, like on the O&W M6. If we go off (from the UK) to Spain for a few days, I just turn the bezel marker to the 11 (they are one hour later). The bezel now gives local time. No messing with hands. Get back to the UK, and put the bezel marker back on 12. I use it, it works well (best for close times zones), and it is dead simple.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

Jack
    When I was young and thin, I was a Radioman in the US Coast Guard. My working time was spent in GMT (zulu) and my off duty time was spent in local. A GMT watch would have been seriously cool. I didn't know about them then.

Best wishes,
    Bob

You need one of these:

http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/browse/?y=1 ... clock&x=19

Master
    Whatever we do I think it's vital that we stick with something recognizably "Speedbird", which means hour numerals at EVERY hour except 12 and 6!

I think there's merit to just using the Speedbird 2 dial with the addition of the hour slot. With an ivory dial the SBII hands look just perfect, no need to fuss with them at all. On a black dial I still think we should go for all white/lume hands in the Dynamic fashion.

What about just copying the Omega Dynamic hands, with a red second hand also inspired from it?

Remember, it's just the hands I'm suggesting.

Kevin

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Jack

john
    For non-zulu life, I prefer the hour bezel, like on the O&W M6. If we go off (from the UK) to Spain for a few days, I just turn the bezel marker to the 11 (they are one hour later). The bezel now gives local time. No messing with hands. Get back to the UK, and put the bezel marker back on 12. I use it, it works well (best for close times zones), and it is dead simple.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Same here. The bezel does more or less the same job, and is technically less demanding. Besides, you can also time short-time events. For any thing more complicated, I would actually prefer an analog/digital thing with the ability to offset the second timezone by minutes and hours.

But I am very excited about the DN-GMT. :wink:

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Thein

Ming
    Ah, the mystical "Tactical Lange" is beginning to take shape...

Crusader
    Hell, waaaaaaaaay back in the day before SBII, I suggested a PVDed tactical speedbird...:D

Ming

Craftsman

First one for me

I definitly prefer the first example. OK it looks a lot like the IWC UTC, but so what? Isn't the SB a hommage to the IWC Mk XI? And doesn't the IWC UTC itself have styling cues from the B-Uhr navigators watch from WWII? I personally love the style of the IWC Pilots watches, and am lucky enough to own an IWC Pilot Chrono 3706 and an SBII. The first example is a perfect example of what a Pilots watch should be...clear and legible. It looks PERFECT. The ONLY change I would make (as mentioned already) would be to have the GMT wheel half white and half black to represent the hours of day and night. If Eddie builds something along the lines of the first example, I will buy it. GO EDDIE!!

Craftsman

Coming in very late on this one!

To be honest neither of the two designs shown would be my first choice but I am excited about the prospects of such a watch being produced by Eddie. If I had to choose one as a starting point then I would lean towards the first but with the following provisos.

The IWC/UTC dial lacks the purity of the original Mk XI/Speedbird, it has too much text and tries too hard to be a "pilot's" watch. IMHO the B-Uhr dial, hands etc do not work well when scaled down from the original 55mm to 40mm and the addition of the white UTC scale further compromises the design. Far better then if a dial close in design to the original Speedbird or Speedbird II was used with minimal text on it.

For the UTC sub-scale I can't help thinking that a black background and red numerals might look good (think Sinn EZM 1 date-wheel - in fact we could have a red date-wheel on this as well if it looked right!) The black on white dial on the IWC model is just too in your face for my liking

Hands - white, something like those on the Omega Speedmaster Pro - simple but very clear at a glance. There are hundreds of styles out there that fit the bill, but you get the drift.

Case, why not titanium. We havn't had a PRS model in this material yet so it would make a nice change if financially viable. Otherwise PVD'd steel could be the route to go. It would also be nice if the case was about 40mm with 20mm lugs for easier strap swops!

Look forward to seeing what you come up with Eddie.

Regards,

Michael.

Master

Digital versus analogue?

This may well seem a naff thing to say, because Eddie's proposed dial design is based on a movement that gives a 2nd time zone digitally in a window, but wouldn't an analogue alternative be better? In other words, wouldn't an independently adjustable 24-hour hand, or even an equally adjustable 2nd 12-hour hand, be more practical than a digital window?

When all's said and done, practicality is a TZ-UK corner-stone and, frankly, a digital window ain't all that practical. The human eye (and animals' eyes, for all I know, although my wife's cat doesn't dare use my watches) reads analogue information much faster than digital.

So? Close the window, put on another hand and add a bezel. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.

Master
    Extra-hand GMTs are all too common, the appeal of this design is that relatively few manufacturers have used it, and I'm not sure that anyone has done it with the "proper" GMT movement.

I think it looks a lot cleaner than the extra hand and additional Bezel markings.

Kevin

Master

You're right, Kevin, but ...

You're right, Kevin, but "cleaner" ain't 'better'.

Surely, dials need to be read 'at a glance' and digital windows just don't work like that, as many designers, not only watch designers, have discovered. Do you remember Citroen's efforts at digital speedometers? And, closer to home, Omega's first attempts at an LED watch? Now, they're dead in the water.

Analogue it must be, as the most successful GMT watch ever, the R...x, domonstrates conclusively. Ask Eddie. He has one.

Quote Originally Posted by KCampbell
    Extra-hand GMTs are all too common, the appeal of this design is that relatively few manufacturers have used it, and I'm not sure that anyone has done it with the "proper" GMT movement.

I think it looks a lot cleaner than the extra hand and additional Bezel markings.

Kevin
    IWC UTC and UN GMT+/- both display GMT time in window, both have "proper" GMT movements.

I like the idea of Red on black for the UTC window. As far as a GMT using hands an bezel I thought that was for the DN-GMT. Also I think the case should be the same as on the SB1 + 2 to cut down on developing cost I would like it larger but if Eddie can save a little so can we.

If I fit a steel movement holder combined with a steel dust cover, I should be able to use the non-chronograph version of the SB 1903 case which has 20mm lugs. Oh yes, it would also have good anti-magnetic properties.

Eddie

Grand Master
    20mm lugs are a great idea ... and the new gray Rhino (nudge, nudge)would fit right between them! :D

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")