closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Austin Kaye .. MWC watches

Austin Kaye .. MWC watches

On Austin Kaye's website there is a header stating "Good news! We are now official stockists of MWC watches (Military Watch Co)." ... are these real military issues?

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Re: Austin Kaye .. MWC watches

I'll answer when I've stopped laughing. Meanwhile, the forum search function is your friend.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I'll answer when I've stopped laughing. Meanwhile, the forum search function is your friend.

Eddie
    I seem to recall that MWC watches have problems ... yes I did a search ... do not understand why a reasonably professional dealer would wish to stock such a brand ... Austin Kaye have now fallen way down in the watch seller stakes in my opinion ...

Cheers

dunk

Master

the simple answer is NO

dont waste time our money

Master

There was a long and protracted thread concerning MWC ( on another forum IIRC ) a while back, so I went to AK to see for myself what all the fuss was about. I looked at the model that is 'similar' to the Marathon SAR. It felt cheap and nasty and vastly over-priced.

Neil

Here is why nobody in the know likes MWC

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9478

Ah, that'll be because they're lying weasels, then?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

The Austin Kaye website http://austinkaye.com/ states that MWC is a leading manufacturer and leading supplier of military watches ... not only to the miliitary but also to govt. depts. and police forces. Does anyone know of any military forces which have been supplied by MWC?

Cheers

dunk

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    On Austin Kaye's website there is a header stating "Good news! We are now official stockists of MWC watches (Military Watch Co)." ... are these real military issues?

Cheers

dunk

No.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    The Austin Kaye website http://austinkaye.com/ states that MWC is a leading manufacturer and leading supplier of military watches ... not only to the miliitary but also to govt. depts. and police forces. Does anyone know of any military forces which have been supplied by MWC?

Cheers

dunk

No.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    We don't like those kinds of weasels over here.

Now if they were wicked weasels, that would be a totally different story :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Galea
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    We don't like those kinds of weasels over here.

Now if they were wicked weasels, that would be a totally different story :wink:
    Here, here! :bounce: :bounce:

Craftsman

If you want an automatic watch with a quite reliable Miyota 8200 series movement (non-hacking) then get a Citizen auto dive watch for GBP50-60 from Singapore on ebay, instead of an MWC for upwards of GBP300. The crystal on a Seiko or Citizen will also be better, usually with a sapphire coating on the mineral glass crystal (Hardlex).

An MWC watch is simply a Miyota movement in a case from Hong Kong.

Military and Police forces, even in Argentina and South Africa, do not buy them.

I once had one of their tritium PVD dive watches - I felt quite bad when I flipped on the bay, but my starting price was quite low. I stated it had a Japanese movement (which it did). I had dropped it and the crystal shattered. When I emailed MWC to source a replacement crystal they said they'd have someone get back to me and never did. In any case I took it to a watchmaker and he replaced the crystal and pressure tested to 200m just fine.

The main problem isn't that they are inherently awful watches (although I have heard some horror stories about their "G10"'s hands falling off), but that the company lies about being military/police contract suppliers and the watches are horrendously over-priced.

Master

God, I feel like such a fool- I actually had this one bookmarked and was seriously considering it-

http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop ... tegoryID=1

Telford Services (are they genuine?) state in their blurb: "MWC are a current official supplier to the British Government."

I'm exactly the sort of sucker they seem to be targeting- appreciation of Mil watches but a newbie..

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson
    God, I feel like such a fool- I actually had this one bookmarked and was seriously considering it-

http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop ... tegoryID=1

Telford Services (are they genuine?) state in their blurb: "MWC are a current official supplier to the British Government."

I'm exactly the sort of sucker they seem to be targeting- appreciation of Mil watches but a newbie..
    Have you perchance searched for Telford Services using the search function on this forum?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

That will be complete mis-representation and brand shadowing then - lying b'tards
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Have you perchance searched for Telford Services using the search function on this forum?

Eddie
    I have now. Oops.

I'm usually pretty good at bulls**t-detecting, but you have to admit their site is pretty convincing, and the line seems to be blurred, even on some of the forums, by some people having a good experience of them.

I Googled 'Telford Services' but all I got was a load of info on the 'Welcome Break' on the M54!!

Have Telford gone out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod
    Dunno. http://telford-services.com/ forwards to MWC's website... strange!

I bought a G10BH off them earlier this year, 50% of the reason being to assess them for myself. It's actually not a bad G10, and in the greater scheme of £50 watches, probably even recommendable. The glass crystal scratches very easily and the lume is shit - well, to be sure, the lume on the dial is pretty good, but all this is wasted because the lume on the hands is crap, therefore you still can't tell the time in the dark! But it's got a decent quality Rhonda movement and a battery hatch, and if you want a watch in that style that you can batter with impunity I suppose you could do worse. It isn't the best G10 watch in the world, but I don't think there's anything particularly marvelous about the CWC either.

EW

love4life3

It seems like that you have already done a good job.

It seems like that you have already done a good job. Then I should follow your guide. Thanks. Could u please post more in future? Haaa.

I had one of these apart last night, said swis movt on the dial and guess what it had inside??????
    "China movement" "no jewels" and a blob of rodico holding the battery in, Now the person who owns it has never had it appart but he bought it from the bay, so whether it came from MWC like that i dont know.

I just gave hime a link to the speedbird 3 as he is after some thing new :)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schuhren
    I had one of these apart last night, said swis movt on the dial and guess what it had inside??????
    "China movement" "no jewels" and a blob of rodico holding the battery in, Now the person who owns it has never had it appart but he bought it from the bay, so whether it came from MWC like that i dont know.

Hmm, that's not very good. Might as well have a Ray!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Earwicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod
    Dunno. http://telford-services.com/ forwards to MWC's website... strange!

I bought a G10BH off them earlier this year, 50% of the reason being to assess them for myself. It's actually not a bad G10, and in the greater scheme of £50 watches, probably even recommendable. The glass crystal scratches very easily and the lume is shit - well, to be sure, the lume on the dial is pretty good, but all this is wasted because the lume on the hands is crap, therefore you still can't tell the time in the dark! But it's got a decent quality Rhonda movement and a battery hatch, and if you want a watch in that style that you can batter with impunity I suppose you could do worse. It isn't the best G10 watch in the world, but I don't think there's anything particularly marvelous about the CWC either.

EW
    It seems that http://telford-services.com/ doesn't link to anything anymore.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by Earwicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schuhren

Hmm, that's not very good. Might as well have a Ray!
    Ray's watches have a real (Asian made) ETA...

And the movement ring has a broad finger to hold the battery in place. A slightly better watch at a much better price.

I have had CWC and MWC and neither are exactly great! It matters not one jot to me whether or not the MOD do issue CWC to their guys, they are still a lot of money for what they are! I understand that a lot of the military buy their own rather than use MOD issued stuff.

The reason most in the military buy their own watches as the army dont issue every soldier a watch, my unit has over 500 people in it but only 70 odd watches held by the stores, so if you are not of sufficient rank or friendly enough with the Q you are not getting a watch!