closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home printers?

Master
    Blog Entries

Home printers?

From the little googling I've done it seems brother printers are decent. Any recommendations? Looks like laser printers are better than Inkjet. Not sure whether to go mono or colour.

Cheers.

I have a Brother DCP-L2530DW which I purchased a few years ago. I have just checked its £170 at Argos. I think still have a £5 voucher if you sign up for their marketing email.

It’s a great mono printer.

Easy to print directly from iPad or phone etc.

I'm a big fan of Brother Laser printers.

Get a multifunction machine with a sheetfeeder for scanning that includes double sided scans with outputs as PDFs as one of the formats.

(that is - if you want scanning facility)

After several inkjet printers I got a B&W Samsung laser jet a few years ago. Much better.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I'm a big fan of Brother Laser printers.

Get a multifunction machine with a sheetfeeder for scanning that includes double sided scans with outputs as PDFs as one of the formats.

(that is - if you want scanning facility)
    This is a really good feature and especially easy via the Brother app. Once the scan (single or multiple page is done) you see the option to save as PDF or JPEG and print/email/save to your device or cloud storage.

Blog Entries
    I have a Brother laser B/W downstairs, and a HP colour laser upstairs, both WiFi and both AirPrint capable. The Brother is my preferred, cheaper toner, fast and hasn’t stopped once in three years, The HP and has had a lot of minor issues (paper format needs resetting, etc). Plus the toner cartridges (even the black one) are more expensive than the Brother.

When the HP dies, will be substituted with a colour Brother laser.

The occasional scanning I do with the iPhone, just fine for a few per month.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How well does scanning work on a phone? Is there is an option on Google drive for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    How well does scanning work on a phone? Is there is an option on Google drive for it.
    I use Docscan app, and works ok for me

Blog Entries
    After many years with paying through the nose with HP, last year I bought an Epson Eco Tank ET-2856, it is the best printer I have ever had, the print quality is first-class and the ink is outstanding value!

Another vote for Brother. I bought a Brother HL-L2370DN laser as I didn't need wifi, just an ethernet connection. Works superbly...would never go back to an inkjet.

Depends on how much printing you are going to do TBH.

We have an Epson Inkjet - also scans and photocopies. Works for us, maybe 20-30 pages of print per month max.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Won't be used much. Some invoices/receipts and some school homework.

Does the toner go off or dry up after a while ?

Craftsman
    Won't be used much. Some invoices/receipts and some school homework.

Does the toner go off or dry up after a while ?
    Laser toners doesn’t dry up, inkjets do, I believe

Unless you really need colour at home, I'd say mono laser is the way to go.

We have used a very low spec HP and has been trouble free for years. Can print to it.from Android/Apple and Windows devices seemlessly

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Depends on how much printing you are going to do TBH.

We have an Epson Inkjet - also scans and photocopies. Works for us, maybe 20-30 pages of print per month max.
    Same here. I just buy ink cartridges from https://www.inkfactory.com/.
    I use theirs instead of the Epson originals now. Printer complains about it but works fine.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for brother laser. I use third party toner with no issues. I have an HL-L2350DW. after 4500 pages printed no complaints.

for an extra 20£ you could get this with scanning capability https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8508205
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st January 2024 at 09:44.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I had to replace an HP Officejet Pro 8620 last year, after a couple of decades of sticking with that series of printers. I did think about the laser options, but for those for whom it might help I went with the HP Officejet Pro 9010e in the end. It's a kind of 8620 Lite - smaller form factor, a lot quieter but does everything I need it to. Worth noting that it needs to run in conjunction with HP Smart and won't take aftermarket cartridges; it's performed perfectly, though, and given that I paid about £160 and recovered the VAT the cost was about the same as a good night out.

In retrospect I should probably have given more thought to the laser options. However, with the volumes I print now it really doesn't make a lot of difference, and it's probably a case of "better the devil you know" for me. I also need scanning, duplex and colour printing, which made the decision a bit easier than it might otherwise have been.

I did ditch Instant Ink, though, as it's just a pain in the backside unless you're printing 50+ pages per month.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 21st January 2024 at 12:40.

Another vote for this. Print about 50 pages a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    After many years with paying through the nose with HP, last year I bought an Epson Eco Tank ET-2856, it is the best printer I have ever had, the print quality is first-class and the ink is outstanding value!
    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

A vote here for the compact Samsung mono laser model ML1665, have had an earlier version about 10 years, has been excellent. Used to run a small business printing about 1500 sheets a year, but nowadays just print a page or 2 a week. Great value and economical at about £100 new and I use aftermarket toner at about £12 a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    A vote here for the compact Samsung mono laser model ML1665, have had an earlier version about 10 years, has been excellent. Used to run a small business printing about 1500 sheets a year, but nowadays just print a page or 2 a week. Great value and economical at about £100 new and I use aftermarket toner at about £12 a time.
    Yep we're still running a Samsung ML-1640, excellent laser printer for tenancy agreements, and letters, would only be better if I could get it to work wirelessly.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Another recommendation for the Epsom eco jet I have a ET-3850 and although it doesn’t seem as clear as the laser printer I had before it’s perfect for my needs and haven’t had any issues and yet to fill the inks up

Master
    I bought a Xerox B210 Laser (mono) from printerland and I am very happy with it - about the 180-2-- mark.

I found colour to be too wasteful and prone to errors after having Canons jets for years - so I bit the bullet and went mono and i'm glad i did.

YMMV it depends on what you waht it for :-)

B

Seems like most brands are recommended by someone, OP really needs to think about what he needs, mono or colour for example.

If mono I’d buy a laser. If colour, especially photos, get a tank printer.

Does it need to scan too? If so, is duplex needed as this greatly narrows the choice and the units are often much larger than a simple flatbed.

I have an HP inkjet but not keen on the instant ink set-up and will be getting a tank printer next time. Best device I ever had was a Canon and will likely be that or an Epson.

Brother mono laser here for more years than I can remember. No headaches at all, ever.

Craftsman
    Have had an Epson ET-2720 All-In-One Inkjet for nearly 3 years.

The colour printing packed up a week after the warranty expired, and resisted all attempts to fix it via the usual google searches (nozzle checks, printhead cleaning cycles and so on). Have continued with it ever since in grayscale mode, but very annoying all the same, and especially as the colour ink tanks are practically full.

I tried Epson after previous frustrating experiences with HP and Canon.

My conclusion is that inkjets basically are crappy disposable items with a shelf-life of two years maximum if you expect all the functions to work properly.

Will check out some of the laser suggestions in the thread. I can certainly see the appeal of Mono - less to go wrong !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Just got a 2851 with £50 cash back. Seems decent and will be printing 50ish pages a week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Have had an Epson ET-2720 All-In-One Inkjet for nearly 3 years.

The colour printing packed up a week after the warranty expired, and resisted all attempts to fix it via the usual google searches (nozzle checks, printhead cleaning cycles and so on). Have continued with it ever since in grayscale mode, but very annoying all the same, and especially as the colour ink tanks are practically full.

I tried Epson after previous frustrating experiences with HP and Canon.

My conclusion is that inkjets basically are crappy disposable items with a shelf-life of two years maximum if you expect all the functions to work properly.

Will check out some of the laser suggestions in the thread. I can certainly see the appeal of Mono - less to go wrong !
    Much agreed. My Epson printer decided recently that it was only going to work on their own cartridges. So bought the usual pack 4 of their own make - put the blue and black in, printed a couple of pages then decided that the brand new blue cartridge was empty. No cajoling, or putting it away in a cupboard to think of the ramifications of it's actions worked.

Two weeks ago I bought a Brother printer, and so far very happy.

Have a look at printer land.

As well as being cheap for printers they list the cost per page which is a very useful comparison.

I bought an opened box Lexmark colour laser which is very good and was very cheap (pre lock down) but have just had to buy toners for it so not so cheap now!

Master
    I’ve been toying with a printer for the last 7yrs, most recently the monthly sheets printed route type of thing.

But after 3yrs WFH and 4 running by own company I have rarely needed anything personal printed; so continue to procrastinate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've owned two Canon printers which cost under $50.00 Canadian with free s/h.

Don't include the power cord though (odd)

Never bothered with the scanner/printer models

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Another vote for An Epson Eco Tank (the ET2850 model here). I had a Brother inkjet printer for 10 years prior to this and it cost an absolute fortune in cartridges, it seemed to be continually cleaning the heads and sucking up the ink, as I only used genuine cartridges it ended up costing a considerable amount annually. Since switching to the Eco Tank in July 2022 I haven't yet had to top up the ink, all the tanks are still over 75% apart from black with is just below. The difference in Ink consumption is amazing, I'm still printing the same amount of documents as I always have, print quality is great and it has a lot less niggles than the Brother had. If you are after photo quality prints on photo paper then probably not the printer for you but for home or small business use it's unbeatable.

Master
    We have had an Epson Ecotank ET7700 for the last couple of years and it worked brilliantly for most of that time but now it won’t accept any more black ink as it thinks it is full despite being empty. Apparently a common issue with no fix so it looks like it’s going in the bin. It looks like you can get a colour laser printer for a similar price as the Ecotank ones so I might try one of those this time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Another vote for An Epson Eco Tank (the ET2850 model here). I had a Brother inkjet printer for 10 years prior to this and it cost an absolute fortune in cartridges, it seemed to be continually cleaning the heads and sucking up the ink, as I only used genuine cartridges it ended up costing a considerable amount annually. Since switching to the Eco Tank in July 2022 I haven't yet had to top up the ink, all the tanks are still over 75% apart from black with is just below. The difference in Ink consumption is amazing, I'm still printing the same amount of documents as I always have, print quality is great and it has a lot less niggles than the Brother had. If you are after photo quality prints on photo paper then probably not the printer for you but for home or small business use it's unbeatable.
    Yet another vote for Epson Eco Task - I bought an ET-2650 in 2017 for £150 new, and I have never had to top up the ink tanks, although I don't do that much printing. It also scans and copies. As I don't print much I sometimes have to use the head clean function, but then it is OK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Have a look at printer land.

As well as being cheap for printers they list the cost per page which is a very useful comparison.

I bought an opened box Lexmark colour laser which is very good and was very cheap (pre lock down) but have just had to buy toners for it so not so cheap now!
    Printerland & Printerbase are both good suppliers but the quoted cost per page for Brother printers is a bit misleading as they are based on using OEM toner cartidges, which are much more expensive than non-OEM ones. I would never, ever, buy a printer than didn't have non-OEM toner available as it makes the printer uneconomic. There's something wrong when it's cheaper to buy a new printer rather than just buy a new toner cartridge.

Unfortunately this rules out nearly every printer from Lexmark, HP & Xerox but fortunately Brother printers still allow you to use non-OEM toner.

I’ve ordered an Epson Ecotank 2814 from Printerland…hopefully a good choice..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do these ink tank printers stay free from clogging up? Can you leave them for a few weeks of do you have to use them quite often? They seem very cheap running costs.

Mines not clogged up yet, I'm not sure if it does any cleaning cycles either as I've never heard it doing one, which was almost a daily occurance with my Brother.

The ink comes in 70ml bottles for Y, M and C, 127ml for B, and it seems extremely thin, however it prints beautifully. One last thing, I do print every day apart from weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Printerland & Printerbase are both good suppliers but the quoted cost per page for Brother printers is a bit misleading as they are based on using OEM toner cartidges, which are much more expensive than non-OEM ones. I would never, ever, buy a printer than didn't have non-OEM toner available as it makes the printer uneconomic. There's something wrong when it's cheaper to buy a new printer rather than just buy a new toner cartridge.

Unfortunately this rules out nearly every printer from Lexmark, HP & Xerox but fortunately Brother printers still allow you to use non-OEM toner.
    The printers come with "starter" cartridges so low yield, but agree the printers are priced very aggressively with lots of competition, the supplies much less so.

Journeyman
    I also have an Epson Ecotank, for about three years now. I am very happy with it. The only issue I had, was that it needed head realignment now and then.

Craftsman
    Do these ink tank printers stay free from clogging up? Can you leave them for a few weeks of do you have to use them quite often? They seem very cheap running costs.
    I don’t do a lot of printing with my Epson ECO Tank, so sometimes it can be many weeks between uses, but it will generally print fine. I have had to use the head clean function once or twice, when the print out was initially missing some lines, but after the head clean it comes out fine again. The head clean only takes a few minutes and uses, as I recall, one sheet of paper, and is fully automatic - you just select it from the printer’s menu.

One of these?