closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trades in SC

Trades in SC

I think about 75% of watches are FS, rather than FSOT, and FT is a hyper-rare beast. Just wondering if it was always that way or whether, back in the day, trading/swapping was more common? I've only been around since 2016 here and I don't remember trading being more common back then, but would be interested to know from forum greybeards whether that's always been the case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I think about 75% of watches are FS, rather than FSOT, and FT is a hyper-rare beast. Just wondering if it was always that way or whether, back in the day, trading/swapping was more common? I've only been around since 2016 here and I don't remember trading being more common back then, but would be interested to know from forum greybeards whether that's always been the case.
    I’m that old I can’t remember.

Blog Entries
    I used to be a prolific flipper. Probably 80% of the time I wanted a trade. This gave me the opportunity to try so many different watches over the years

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

It was fairly common TBH - seems less so these days though.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It was fairly common TBH - seems less so these days though.
    Not surprising, though. There’s no community ethos to SC any more.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Fair point Tony.

Trades in SC

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Not sure how you link the lack of trades to community spirit.

The place in mostly the same it ever was, since there has barely been any new joiners in the last 5 years due to restrictions.

It has always been a narky place, and IMO much less narky now than in the past.

I feel this is rose tinted specs. The forum is definitely in need of new blood. Same old, same old, every time you log in.

Even the forums most famous policeman has taken a break.

In the years after I first joined the vast majority of my watch flips were trades. It was a lot of fun.

On the relatively rare occasion I put in a post in SC I almost always still welcome trade offers.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I don’t recall a trade heavy spell. If there was it was because the value differentials were smaller.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I used to be a prolific flipper. Probably 80% of the time I wanted a trade. This gave me the opportunity to try so many different watches over the years

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    This is where I'd like to be. So much I want to try.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Fair point Tony.
    I try! Sold an A13a last week I didn't want to sell back to the fella I bought it from because he regretted selling it. Try to do the "we all look after each other thing".

Master
    Back in the day when I joined (2006 I think) I made a lot of trades, sometimes adding a few quid to the deal and it gave me a chance to try out a lot of makes and models that I never could have if I'd had to buy them... it really was much less trouble than selling one to buy another. These days the value of watches has shot up (a thousand quid for a Seiko diver? Really??) and it seems that fewer people are prepared to move their watches on in trade having invested so much in them. This disappoints me as it doesn't really fit in with the ethos of the organisation as it was when I joined... Another thing that grinds the proverbial gears is the number of times I see "I only only want what it cost me"... Back in the day it was standard practice to drop your price a little to move things along so another member could experience the watch.

I know that times change and we must accept that we have to move with them, but it's not the same atmosphere on SC as a whole these days which saddens me a little. But perhaps I am just old fashioned....

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Back in the day when I joined (2006 I think) I made a lot of trades, sometimes adding a few quid to the deal and it gave me a chance to try out a lot of makes and models that I never could have if I'd had to buy them... it really was much less trouble than selling one to buy another. These days the value of watches has shot up (a thousand quid for a Seiko diver? Really??) and it seems that fewer people are prepared to move their watches on in trade having invested so much in them. This disappoints me as it doesn't really fit in with the ethos of the organisation as it was when I joined... Another thing that grinds the proverbial gears is the number of times I see "I only only want what it cost me"... Back in the day it was standard practice to drop your price a little to move things along so another member could experience the watch.

I know that times change and we must accept that we have to move with them, but it's not the same atmosphere on SC as a whole these days which saddens me a little. But perhaps I am just old fashioned....
    You are not alone......

Trades? Pah, back in the day lending out our watches to each other was common amongst some of us. Happy days they were too, meet up for a beer and walk out afterwards with a different watch on your wrist.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Not sure how you link the lack of trades to community spirit.

The place in mostly the same it ever was, since there has barely been any new joiners in the last 5 years due to restrictions.

It has always been a narky place, and IMO much less narky now than in the past.

I feel this is rose tinted specs. The forum is definitely in need of new blood. Same old, same old, every time you log in.

Even the forums most famous policeman has taken a break.
    Others clearly see my point.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Trades? Pah, back in the day lending out our watches to each other was common amongst some of us. Happy days they were too, meet up for a beer and walk out afterwards with a different watch on your wrist.

R
    Still goes on to a certain extent, I've not bought anything significant for the past couple of years but have had some lovely loaners.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    In the years after I first joined the vast majority of my watch flips were trades. It was a lot of fun.

On the relatively rare occasion I put in a post in SC I almost always still welcome trade offers.
    Same here. I always think a trade option seems appropriate for a forum of enthusiasts.

...even if the trade is a clocking in clock, or a diving knife or a bench vice...!
    Last edited by gunner; 24th January 2024 at 16:30.

I've never really understood why people restrict themselves to trade.

The only reason I can think of for doing it is an unwillingness to hold cash for a period, as surely it requires the stars to align nicely that 2 people want the watch that the other has.

Similarly I've never understood why people put a higher trade value on a watch than the sale value as surely the person trading would do the same.

Of course it's possible that there's something magical happening with trades that has simply passed me by.

Looking at some of the responses on the "Dear Wife" thread, I see a huge amount of potential trades if I'm honest...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Looking at some of the responses on the "Dear Wife" thread, I see a huge amount of potential trades if I'm honest...
    If you ever start a show us your fruit bowl thread I’m blocking you.

I remember posting a question early when I first joined here when there was a lot more trading going on.
    Back in the d day when legendary flipper Dawson was active here… any idea of what happened to him/how he is now?
    Reasoning was that it allows you to try multiple watches, as does buying or selling, but the danger is when sold for cash the cash gets awallowed up elsewhere…. 🤯

Master
    My legendary flipper was Bricktop, he even put a watch up for trade that he hadn’t even taken delivery of yet from another trade !! In my first 5yrs on the forum I was involved in 20+ trades and got to try some great watches from all the big manufacturers. I remember trading a Pam for a Rolex 1675 and then trading that one for a JLC with less than £500 changing hands not thousands.

Master
    FS/FT - I've noticed that there are less "attractive" watches for sale or trade in the areas that I appreciate - but that's just my preference as I prefer "vintage" if you can call watches of the 1970's and 1980's "vintage".

lack of new members - I didn't realise that this was "restricted" - but I suppose looking at the postings this can be seen - and maybe it's the "same old" stuff

There is a group of very knowledgeable and sympathetic members which we can all learn from and indeed we can all learn from each other

There have always been a few well established (through years), members who seem to want "star quality" and to be recognised for their long service who feel that their opinions are more valuable than others - you can see this by the tone of their postings, but after a while you realise who to appreciate and who not to......... but that's the nature of internet Forums.

strong opinions are expressed - but that's "par for the course" - which can lead into situations that are not productive.

In general it is a very good place to be and to contribute to and we should all thank Eddie for what he has achieved
    Last edited by BillN; 24th January 2024 at 20:35.

Really glad I started this one. Learnt a lot in the replies.