closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Omega Speedmaster

New Omega Speedmaster

No information about it at this stage other than this Instagram post. It looks exactly the same as the previous version save for a subdial hand…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

No information about it at this stage other than this Instagram post. It looks exactly the same as the previous version save for a subdial hand…

It's an Apollo 8 with the standard constant seconds hand changed for a hand in the shape of a rocket. Bizarre. Whatever next!
    Last edited by j111dja; 16th January 2024 at 16:28.

About time Omega started making references to the fact their watches are qualified for moon missions.....

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    About time Omega started making references to the fact their watches are qualified for moon missions.....
    Absolutely.

Grand Master
    About time Omega let the Speedmaster sub-brand sell on its merits and stop harping back to the bloody space/moon connection, it all happened a loooooong time ago!

No doubt the fanboys will swoon over it.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    About time Omega let the Speedmaster sub-brand sell on its merits and stop harping back to the bloody space/moon connection, it all happened a loooooong time ago!

No doubt the fanboys will swoon over it.
    Don't the Speedmaster racing models do that?

It’s also still oversized at 45mm, for no reason other than to wind people up

I stopped reading at "ceramic".

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I stopped reading at "ceramic".

The attention to detail on the standard Apollo 8 (and the way they've crafted that dial and ceramic case) is very impressive.

Last edited by j111dja; 16th January 2024 at 18:45.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    It’s also still oversized at 45mm, for no reason other than to wind people up

Yeah! Make it 39 and I’ll sit up and pay attention!

Honestly, bring back the speedie reduced! The current 38mm oval subdial models are gross!

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Yeah! Make it 39 and I’ll sit up and pay attention!

Honestly, bring back the speedie reduced! The current 38mm oval subdial models are gross!
    Hearing there is a smaller model released this year. Whether that’s a new reduced or FOIS variation I’m unsure

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Not for me - too many variants/editions.

Give me a hesalite standard Speedy every time.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Apparently the price is 33% more than the outgoing model

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    And your point is...........? As ever, nothing sensible to add.

Once agains Omega are trying to squeeze one more drop out if a stale old lemon. Nothing wrong with the traditional acrylic crystal steel- cased classic or the smaller Speedy Reduced, time for Omega to gently decouple the brand away from the space thing and let it stand on its merits.

This latest offering is an abomination, mire evidence that Omega have truly lost the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Apparently the price is 33% more than the outgoing model
    £13,500 for this calibre 3869 version. That's some price hike over the 1869 calibre version at £10,100 (as you mentioned).

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...ollo-8/product

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omeg...lo-8-saturn-v/
    Last edited by j111dja; 16th January 2024 at 23:46.

Another day another Omega SKU. Just what the catalogue needs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    ……………….

Give me a hesalite standard Speedy every time.
    Me too, although admittedly one of my three has an original Snoopy dial, just because Watchco were selling them years ago for £80 and it seemed rude not to buy one.

Master
    It seems to be getting a similar very mixed reception over on Omega Forums.

Can understand it - the current iteration was a bit marmite with size & ceramic, but if the scale and look are your thing it's a striking piece. As I understand the new one loses things like the lumed bezel (which was really striking on the current model), but adds a huge price increase. So I guess it depends whether people value the movement change enough (the discussion on OF suggest 'no').

As someone over there pointed out, as nice as the item is, why would anyone want to look at a spinning rocket? That's an instant mission fail right there.

Journeyman
    Stylistically impressive but It’s a no from me.

Master
    I love it, but I wish it had the white hands from the standard Speedmaster. The black hands just get lost against the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    And your point is...........? As ever, nothing sensible to add.

Once agains Omega are trying to squeeze one more drop out if a stale old lemon. Nothing wrong with the traditional acrylic crystal steel- cased classic or the smaller Speedy Reduced, time for Omega to gently decouple the brand away from the space thing and let it stand on its merits.

This latest offering is an abomination, mire evidence that Omega have truly lost the plot.
    For those unable to infer beyond the explicit, IMHO it's a relatively dull addition to the Speedmaster line up.

Almost as dull as your ad hominem.
    Last edited by gunner; 25th January 2024 at 10:07.

Master
    Always wonder how many of these type of watches they sell.

The buying market must be absolutely tiny for these models.

Are Omega just churning them out as brand builder / filler pieces ?

These do absolutely nothing for me. A few years ago, I nearly bought a DSOM. Glad I didn't now. To be honest, all Speedmasters leave me a bit cold now, maybe it's because I've been through three in the past coupled with decades of Omega pushing the 'limited editions'.

Master
    On a positive note the Seamaster 300 is apparently getting a new bracelet next year that will be tapered.

The only issue with the 300 is the bracelet for me so I’ll end up getting one if the new bracelet is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    On a positive note the Seamaster 300 is apparently getting a new bracelet next year that will be tapered.

The only issue with the 300 is the bracelet for me so I’ll end up getting one if the new bracelet is true.

Hopefully it also comes with less bling on the bracelet, a bezel you can grip, sword hands, and either a removed HEV or automatic HEV.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's really becoming a bit self-parodic at this point.

If feel fairly certain that if they were asking the same price in 1964 terms for a Speedy as they are today there would never have been an Omega watch in space. NASA would have found something that would have done the job for a lot less.

That could be a game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Hopefully it also comes with less bling on the bracelet, a bezel you can grip, sword hands, and either a removed HEV or automatic HEV.
    And slightly smaller, and slimmer, and cheaper!

Master

Long overdue. (For those who struggle with the old Seamaster bracelets, I heartily recommend the various Forstner options, fantastic value.)

Master
    Blog Entries
    If the most exciting thing they have in the pipeline from an enthusiast’s perspective is adding taper to a bracelet they should hang their heads in shame.

Replacing the seconds hand on the new model with a mini rocket just looks stupid to me, I’d cringe when I saw it. Not exactly the emotion I’d want to experience when buying and wearing an exceedingly expensive new watch.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 18th January 2024 at 12:30.

Cool

So a 2254.50 then? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    And slightly smaller, and slimmer, and cheaper!

Craftsman
    I know it's been said to death but the prices of all these new watches just boggles my mind. Though in fairness a lot of things going on in the last ten years boggle my mind. I just don't see the value in any of these things. I own several Speedmasters but I would never spend five figures on one. I've no idea who is buying them but I think they've more money than sense. That just doesn't apply to Omega either. The whole lot of them are in this bucket.

Blog Entries
    The 1869 movement on the first Apollo 8 was superb: As the new model has lost the lumed bezel it lost one of the big USP of the Apollo 8

The front ain't too shabby. As the new second hand is a 'rocket' I don't think you'll see it when the movement is running.

Adding 3K for a 3869 Metas movement instead of 1869 is really "extracting the micheal".. but fair play that's nothing new for all their movements with the Metas replacements.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 18th January 2024 at 16:54.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK)
    Adding 3K for a 3869 Metas movement instead of 1869 is really "extracting the micheal".. but fair play that's nothing new for all their movements with the Metas replacements.
    At least they didn't put a titanium movement in it and add 45k.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    So a 2254.50 then? ;)
    Almost! I could live with the helium escape wart and the slippery bezel but I always thought the bezel font was too bold and that ruined it for me. Fussy Bug**r really!

I've got to agree with the majority on the Omega Forum.

So, a £3500 difference between these two. Utter madness.

Yes, I know that they are well put together and the design of both may divide opinion, but there's no doubting the quality of the finish and the clever design elements. That's from a 1869 owner and it's a calibre unique to the original Apollo 8 ceramic Speedy.

Journeyman

New Omega Speedmaster

My wife bought me an Apollo 8 a couple of years ago for our 10 year anniversary and I love it. Every time you look at it you notice something new on the dial or the mechanism.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    So a 2254.50 then? ;)
    Much as I liked my 2254, it had the bezel you could not grip and the irritating helium valve.

-- Tim

Journeyman
    *My wife bought me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I've got to agree with the majority on the Omega Forum.

So, a £3500 difference between these two. Utter madness.

Yes, I know that they are well put together and the design of both may divide opinion, but there's no doubting the quality of the finish and the clever design elements. That's from a 1869 owner and it's a calibre unique to the original Apollo 8 ceramic Speedy.
    At £3.5k that’s a seriously expensive sub secs hand.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    At £3.5k that’s a seriously expensive sub secs hand.
    They've updated (or is that upgraded) the movement Tom from a 1869 (that was and still is unique to the first Apollo 8 Ceramic model) to a 3869 Master Chronometer rated movement.

It is a crazy £3500 price hike though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    If the most exciting thing they have in the pipeline from an enthusiast’s perspective is adding taper to a bracelet they should hang their heads in shame.

Replacing the seconds hand on the new model with a mini rocket just looks stupid to me, I’d cringe when I saw it. Not exactly the emotion I’d want to experience when buying and wearing an exceedingly expensive new watch.
    Couldn’t agree more. That rocket hand is embarrassing.

The previous model stank out AD windows and was regularly in 30% off sales. What do they seriously think the demand will be for the same watch that is now £3.5k more expensive? Is anyone seriously going to choose that over some of the Zenith skeleton watches or offerings from Hublot at a similar price point?

The previous model stank out AD windows and was regularly in 30% off sales. What do they seriously think the demand will be for the same watch that is now £3.5k more expensive? Is anyone seriously going to choose that over some of the Zenith skeleton watches or offerings from Hublot at a similar price point?
    It's all personal taste I guess. Personally, I would never consider purchasing the 3861 at that crazy price. I wouldn't buy a Hublot either (as it is one of my least favourite brands) nor any El Primero. I've had way too many reliability issues with them in the past, and I'm not alone.
    Last edited by j111dja; 24th January 2024 at 22:44.

New Omega Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    It's all personal taste I guess. Personally, I would never consider purchasing the 3861 at that crazy price. I wouldn't buy a Hublot either (as it is one of my least favourite brands) nor any El Primero. I've had way too many reliability issues with them in the past, and I'm not alone.
    Not when you could get a 321 for just a little more. That would be the better buy at this level.
    Last edited by paw3001; 25th January 2024 at 23:07.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Not when you could get a 321 for just a little more. That would be the better but at this level.
    A 321.......now that's an interesting watch.