closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car vandalised by neighbour

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Didn't we rather jump at the CCTV thing in some part due to the 'RA back in the day, then just kinda culturally ran with it, the illusion of enhanced safety- security, plus fewer boobies on the beat so the individual took up the burden of providing deterrence and occasionally proof? Remember Mag´s words on society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Legacy of when our Irish friends used to come over

No way i would inform my insurers at this point. Police and get a quote first
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Then councils installed them on the promise that "These are only for security purposes" - then once in place, used them primarliy for revenue-earning from parking/loading infringements.
    Eh? I thought we were talking about home security cameras, and their proliferation due to peoples perceived expectation of crime at their homes? Bit of a sidetrack there.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 15th January 2024 at 11:38. Reason: punktuation
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I think I'd just go round and see the neighbour, let them know you've got a recording of them causing the damage and firstly ask why, then ask if they're going to cover the cost of the damage.

You could get some answers and not be out of pocket. If the neighbour denies it, or is a dick about it, then it's time for the police and insurance. Police will do sod all and the insurance will increase your premium.
    This is what I would be doing I think. Putting him on the spot with a mention you have him on camera doing the crime may make him put his hands in his pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    So, came across them this morning, they of course deny all knowledge and even imply they don't know who I am.

I wasn't expecting any more than that from them to be honest.

I will of course update all on proceedings, but as and when appropriate as the investigation is under way.
    Last edited by Litcan91; 15th January 2024 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    We have cameras which trigger an alert on our phones. Just sat down on the sofa to watch TV on a Friday night when this appeared on my phone. What you can't see is why he decided to leave, the outside lights had come on in the garden as I ran towards the gate picking up a convenient half paver on the way. Unfortunately they drove off before I could practise my bowling. Also you can't see there were 2 other guys in the car, picked up by my neighbours cctv.
    This was just after we moved in and I was already concerned that this was a weak point for security. So I had screwed the garage doors shut, he was never getting in. There are six foot gates across the entrance now, which I had fitted soon after.

https://youtu.be/1NC1Cfnkxuc?si=oArmW8QnKwCQKysC

Maybe he was a Good Samaritan wanting to help get the blue dye out of your cream leather seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    So, came across them this morning, they of course deny all knowledge and even imply they don't know who I am.

I will of course update all on proceedings, but as and when appropriate as the investigation is under way.
    Not surprised. Maybe ask them and all your other neighbours if they have CCTV so you can call the police ? That way they won't know where the CCTV came from or might even think about it and confess (unlikely I know)

Master
    Blog Entries

What was his response when you told him you have it on camera?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Maybe he was a Good Samaritan wanting to help get the blue dye out of your cream leather seats?
    No I don't think so. I think he and his accomplices were more likely the robbers, who stripped, beat and left for dead the man the Good Samaritan helped.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    I honestly can’t comprehend the level of scutter that behaves like this. I had my car keyed whilst parked outside the in-laws in Bath, (not exactly known for being a rough area) it was parked legally on the street alongside many other cars, no idea who or why mine was targeted. Sadly this country is an embarrassment when it comes to property damage. Those that play by the rules are always the ones to suffer through increased insurance costs, as well as the hassle and upset of having to deal with these things in the first place.

Buy a cheap USB dongle, copy the cctv recording to the dongle, - give dongle to neighbour, tell him to pay up or it becomes legal.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Buy a cheap USB dongle, copy the cctv recording to the dongle, - give dongle to neighbour, tell him to pay up or it becomes legal.
    I like this idea! Would love to watch the scoundrel squirm whilst he watches it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drop one of these in his front path (or use his letterbox). BadUSB

USB Dongle – Have we gone back a decade? Upload it to YouTube, share the link with everyone on the street so they can see what a shit stain they have as a neighbour. Post the link here too.

USB Dongle – Have we gone back a decade? Upload it to YouTube, share the link with everyone on the street so they can see what a shit stain they have as a neighbour. Post the link here too.
    That would be a future move, however prior to delivering the dongle get a couple of written quotes to make good the damage, incude copies of the quotes when you hand over the cctv evidence.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I, for one, don’t have the email address of everyone on our street.

The power of social media is not to be underestimated. A lot of neighbourhoods have neighbourhood watch schemes plus there’s the Nextdoor app and then countless informal local WhatsApp and Facebook groups.

Oh I dunno......I quite like the word DONGLE

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Oh I dunno......I quite like the word DONGLE
    Just be careful posting your dongle through a letter box. Some can have quite a snap.

Just be careful posting your dongle through a letter box. Some can have quite a snap.
    Or a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Or a dog.
    Yes definitely don’t put your dog through a letter box.

Yes definitely don’t put your dog through a letter box.
    Dog byproducts (one specifically) are much easier to push through a letter box..........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Dog byproducts (one specifically) are much easier to push through a letter box..........
    Already plenty of that at the address as discovered from the act.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Already plenty of that at the address as discovered from the act.
    You still haven’t commented on the guy’s response to you telling him you have him doing the damage on cctv or if you have had any previous dispute or contact with the guy ….

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    You still haven’t commented on the guy’s response to you telling him you have him doing the damage on cctv or if you have had any previous dispute or contact with the guy ….
    As per the update above, implying they don't know who I am when menting the video.

Not sure on relevancy in current circumstances, but the obvious standout to me is again to do with the context of the on street parking situation. They have two cars, and one allocated bay to the rear of the property.

OP, is your car something he may be jealous of, or something similar to that?

I just can't get my head around what his motivation would be do do this. Seems very odd behaviour.

Craftsman
    In my head there's no justification whatever the reason may be, but pretty certain on it being related to the on street parking situation.

Craftsman
    Report to the police and take lots of photographic evidence

Master
    Blog Entries
    In my head there's no justification whatever the reason may be, but pretty certain on it being related to the on street parking situation.
    Pretty sad territorial behaviour, I’d have thought they’d have reacted to learning about the video of them doing it as they don’t sound like they’d want a criminal record.

As above give them the footage or put it live on YouTube and link it to a few local neighbourhood groups.

But you said he has his own space at the back? Some people are just broken

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    But you said he has his own space at the back? Some people are just broken
    He mentioned one parking space at the rear but owning two cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    He mentioned one parking space at the rear but owning two cars.
    Ah, missed that. Still, what a c*ck.

Master
    I was involved in a roughly similar situation where my car was damaged by a short angry man. Luckily I had a witness and they gave me their details.
    I reported it to the police and they were great. There is a mediation like service they tried first where they try to come to a mutually satisfactory conclusion.
    As there was a bit of tit for tat (my door touched his wife’s mini so he booted a dent in my passenger door) I had a repair quote from the dealer for £450 so he paid up £400 which I was more than happy with.
    It was pretty slow though and I suspect if the guys dander hadn’t receded then I’d would had have to pursue it via small claims or something.
    In the end the police were polite, sympathetic and once they had all the info things moved along satisfactorily.
    I’d urge to let them do their job, they should give you a crime number and get in touch within a week or so to get statements etc.
    if they don’t then give them a prod.
    I guess their interest is reliant on area, sleepy rural Bedfordshire is a far cry from say inner city London, Manchester or Birmingham, for example.