closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex DJ 126200 or Omega Aqua Terra? Updated: decision made!

Rolex DJ 126200 or Omega Aqua Terra? Updated: decision made!

Morning folks. Just trying to gauge a few opinions. I’m not far off making a ‘big’ watch purchase, first one for a good few years now - except I’ve got one of those typical first world dilemmas that we often have in this hobby. I want a light dial sporty watch that is an all rounder, top quality.

I’ve whittled it down to an Omega Aqua Terra 38mm white, or the silver dial 36mm Rolex DJ 126200. The DJ would cost approx £1500 more than the AT. Both sit in that classic, versatile sports dress up or down area. Both have their respective brands top spec movements, DJ has a longer power reserve at 70 hours, AT has 150m WR compared to 100 - neither of these things matter much really as it won’t be off my wrist long enough for power to be an issue and I don’t ever go deeper than is required for a bit of holiday snorkeling!

I’ve noticed from pics & vids that the DJ dial in some lights has a champagne look. And the AT isn’t a polar white but has a silver hue. They both have polished centre links on the bracelet but the Rolex has the adjustable clasp with EasyLink, whereas the AT has a butterfly with no micro adjust whatsoever - big win for the DJ there.

I’m not asking people to pick for me, I know that all these types of articles boil down to ‘get the one you really want’. I’ve had one Rolex before so know how they wear etc, have never owned an Omega. Just asking for thoughts and opinions from those in the know or maybe owner experience of either that might make me consider something I’d not thought of, cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davidj54; 18th January 2024 at 22:41.

They are both great watches IMO. Of these 2 I would choose the DJ just because of the date position @6 on the Omega.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Datejust was my immediate thought but the more I look at them the Omega is a nicer looking watch .I think 38mm is a nice size as well , small enough to wear well but large enough to not be too small.The aqua terra look brilliant on a strap where as a modern datejust should stay on its bracelet for me.

Suppose what the brand name means to you will play a large part.Omega obviously isn’t Rolex so that could be a negative or positive for you .Name aside ,I’d choose the omega .

Personally, I prefer the AT out of those two watches. It's lovely will have a little more wrist presence at 38mm.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 13th January 2024 at 12:35.

Didn’t think I’d say this when i saw the thread title but from those photos and without trying them on it’d be the omega for me. Looks wonderful IMO.

DJ for me but probably not in white. Out of those two pictures the AT looks better.

Craftsman
    I prefer the AT was you've got more options to switch it up. The Omega rubber strap, countless NATO and leather straps.
    Whereas the DJ only really looks good on an Oyster or Jubilee

p.s you may even be able to sweet talk the salesperson into including an extra strap option or two into your AT sale

Aqua Terra. These are very underrated . Lots of dial combinations and sizes, better than even the Explorer in my book. Wish I’d kept mine.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Personally, I prefer the AT out of those two watches. It's lovely will have a little more wrist presence at 38mm.
    Just to add, if conguration isn't set in stone then this.

Grand Master
    Forget about comparing numbers and specifications, it's pointless. Just pick the one you prefer.

Datejust wins by a country mile for me, well worth paying the extra money for. Not saying it's a better watch or the price premium is justified, I just prefer it and that's what it's all about.

Should you ever decide to sell the decision to buy the Rolex will repay you handsomely.

Would have to be the DateJust for me….

1) because I love the DateJust and its lineage (in 36 guise)…I’m picking one up later today, in fact (that I’ve been waiting quite some time for)

2) because the Aqua Terra has a number of negatives…the lack of micro adjustment, the garage door dial and the particularly incongruous date window lurking in the bottom half of the dial. Also, in my experience, an Aqua Terra wears a lot larger than the dimensions would imply. I (briefly) had a 39mm Aqua Terra a couple of years ago, it wore like a dinner plate. The 36mm DateJust wears true to size (for me) and its proportions are perfectly balanced.

Master
    Until I am convinced that the well documented issues with the 32xx movements have been addressed properly and fixed I can’t see myself buying a Rolex with this movement.

At the moment it appears that when they are problematic Rolex will fix them but I don’t think a long term solution has yet been identified.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 13th January 2024 at 13:56.

Journeyman
    I’ve owned both and for me it would come down to the following:

If the watch is going to stay on the bracelet the Datejust wins as it has a superior bracelet.

If you are looking to change straps now and then the Aqua Terra is better suited to this due to the case design.

For me personally the Aqua Terra is a watch that fits any occasion. If you want super casual put it on the rubber strap or nato, want something more dressy put a nice leather strap on. Lots to choose from OEM and aftermarket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of the two I'd go DJ BUT I have two thoughts to share. Firstly, the latest DJ36 is just a touch too small for me. This may in large part be due to my wearing larger watches now so my perception of size has changed. I remember trying a 126234 on at an AD right after wearing a 42mm Seamaster and the DJ appeared comically small. I've never experienced that with a DJ and my daily wear for some time was a 36mm Explorer with no issues. If it feels right size wise to you then that's all that matters. If it does feel on the small side, try on the previous 116*** references. They had so called 'super cases' with wider lugs that made the watch wear much bigger.

Last thing, for me a DJ has to have jubilee and fluted bezel. If you want a sportier three hander why not consider the current OP line?

As an AT owner, I’m biased towards the AT. IMO it’s more versatile, and 38 is a better size. Pre-owned it would easily be 2-3k cheaper than the DJ too. Also, the DJ is the quintessential old man’s watch (again, IMO). Archie Luxury’s what does your watch say about you was spot on. Overall, I think it’s easier to compare the AT to an OP36 or an Exp.

HOWEVER, the AT is a bit thick and it’s not a Rolex, I wouldn’t buy it if deep down you want a DJ and you’re looking for something more attainable.

Grand Master
    Rethinking this, my advice is to buy neither and go for a Rolex OP36, closer to the traditional Rolex concept with brushed lug tops and brushed bracelet, reminds me more of the pre-2006 Datejust before they changed to the fatter lugs and polished lug tops. The fatter lugs has been addressed but the polished lug tops is still a bit off for me.

As for size, now the Rolex DJ case has had its lugs slimmed down the design 'flows' more from the bracelet into the watch head, almost like an integral bracelet design, that's something I always liked about the pre 2006 models. I think the design works best in 36mm and unless you've got wrists like a bear it's plenty big enough.

Craftsman
    Of the two you are considering, I would choose the Datejust.

Personally though, I don't like this modern trend of polished blingy centre links on bracelets, so both these would be out for me.

I'd suggest to go back a little bit in time and look at 5-digit Datejusts and first generation Aqua Terra's. Just better proportions and aesthetics all round. In my opinion, the DJ went downhill when they fattened up the indices and started messing around with the cases

You could probably have one of each for what one of the 2024 versions would cost, especially if you went quartz with the AT (which also had size options at 36mm and 39mm)

I don't have the silver dial variants any more, but I can show you a side by side in black/blue ...

Master
    AT for me. I have tried it on and it’s bloody lovely. I do prefer omega to Rolex.

I for one choose

The DateJust.

Thanks for all the input gents, definitely some things I hadn’t considered. For into, I don’t have massive wrists - less than 6.75” and my 36mm Smiths Everest wears nicely on me, so the 36mm size of the DJ wouldn’t be a problem. I did have a Rolex OP39 previously which I felt wore a little big, and I want this watch to have a date function so haven’t considered the OP36 or Explorer.

DJ for me. 36mm likely perfect for your wrist size. I really want to like the Omega but the date is practically in the middle of the dial which I couldn't tolerate.
    I agree with others though, I don't like the polished centre links. My next purchase will be the white dialled discontinued OP 36mm if I can find and afford one.
    Good luck with your decision though - both are cracking watches.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The Rolex - prefer the size, face style. Prefer the date at 3pm. Looks great on bracelet and straps.

Both?

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Of the two you are considering, I would choose the Datejust.

Personally though, I don't like this modern trend of polished blingy centre links on bracelets, so both these would be out for me.

I'd suggest to go back a little bit in time and look at 5-digit Datejusts and first generation Aqua Terra's. Just better proportions and aesthetics all round. In my opinion, the DJ went downhill when they fattened up the indices and started messing around with the cases

You could probably have one of each for what one of the 2024 versions would cost, especially if you went quartz with the AT (which also had size options at 36mm and 39mm)

I don't have the silver dial variants any more, but I can show you a side by side in black/blue ...

Im going to agree here - the gen 1 ATs just look "right" great proportions and size and the dials dont suffer from the later Omega textures that, to me, look like the fake wood on model train carriages - if Im spending money on a watch I dont want to wear Hornby!
    Last edited by Umbongo; 13th January 2024 at 20:07.

DJ, mainly because you'll actually be able to make the bracelet comfortably fit your wrist.

I love the look of the older ATs, but three have passed through my hands and all got flipped due to lack of adjustment on the bracelet.

Maybe the new ones are have micro adjustment? I'd still go DJ though.

Go for the Rolex...................

Like Computer systems in the corporate world in the '90s?

"No-one ever got fired for buying IBM"

(waiting)

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    DJ, mainly because you'll actually be able to make the bracelet comfortably fit your wrist.

I love the look of the older ATs, but three have passed through my hands and all got flipped due to lack of adjustment on the bracelet.

Maybe the new ones are have micro adjustment? I'd still go DJ though.
    There was always a little known half link for the bracelet. It really helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    There was always a little known half link for the bracelet. It really helped.
    Yep, I had two half links and still couldn't get the fit. It wasn't the initial fit, but during the day my wrist could change dimension by a half or a whole link, so it might fit in the morning, then in the afternoon it would be too tight, then too loose in the evening. Drove me mad.

Datejust for me. Stone cold classic and works with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Had a modern DJ and sold it, no regrets.

Fancy trying an AT.

I'd have the white dial AT, I've a blue one and wish it was the white one!
    Everything everyone's aleady said about the versatility is spot on, I prefer it on a sailcloth with a nice blue stitch.

The AT hands look better (IMO).

This is a better photo of the Rolex model, the one I posted in the original post is a bit naff.

Master
    I was expecting to say the Rolex and still do. However that AT is very nice and I actually prefer the date at 6, probably against the majority.

The Rolex is an absolute classic. Both for me could be an only watch.

DateJust for me. It’s a classic.

I don’t like the Omega watches with dates at 6, so that rules out most AQ’s and even the bloody Seamaster Professional model these days.

Also the clasp adjustments on a lot of Omega watches haven’t been the best until recently, whereas the easy link on the Rolex is excellent.

Then of course there is future value. Which shouldn’t be a main consideration, but it’s there and there is no real comparison over the mid to long term.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    I don’t think Omegas feel as nice in the hand or on the wrist as Rolex models, generally, so I’d vote for the DJ out of these two, although 36 too small in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    This is a better photo of the Rolex model, the one I posted in the original post is a bit naff.

I've seen this dial up close and it's is a cracker. As you say, size is perfect for you so there's no case to answer. I honestly think you'd end up going for the DJ later if you go for the AT. Nice as the Omega is it's not a Rolex and if that's what you want, nothing will be a satisfying substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    DateJust for me. It’s a classic.

Also the clasp adjustments on a lot of Omega watches haven’t been the best until recently, whereas the easy link on the Rolex is excellent.
    True I did have to learn to love the AT bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    True I did have to learn to love the AT bracelet.
    It’s the one semi-annoying thing about my Globe Master; I love the watches, but the bracelet can be slightly tighter or looser for my liking at times.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I have the exact same dial AT in 38mm and love it so no surprises for what I’d choose.
    I bought it on the bracelet but also have an Omega deployment with leather strap as well. I love how versatile it is like others say.

In all honesty, I do prefer the look of the AT over the DJ as I was contemplating an Air King or pre owned Explorer but just preferred AT. It also has longer service intervals.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the input gents, definitely some things I hadn’t considered. For into, I don’t have massive wrists - less than 6.75” and my 36mm Smiths Everest wears nicely on me, so the 36mm size of the DJ wouldn’t be a problem. I did have a Rolex OP39 previously which I felt wore a little big, and I want this watch to have a date function so haven’t considered the OP36 or Explorer.
    Omega used to do ATs in 36mm, I guess not any more. For my money the older models with a smooth dial rather than what posters above aptly described as the “garage door” / Hornby plastic wood pattern looked better, too.

There again, sometimes one just wants a new watch.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 14th January 2024 at 09:04.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting to see many people on the thread dislike having date at 6. Personally I much prefer it to date at 3, as long as it’s done right (which for me means it sits at the bottom of the dial, replacing the marker / numeral at 6 rather than sitting awkwardly above it). The version on this AT doesn’t entirely do it for me - although it does replace the index, it still sits slightly too high on the dial for my taste.

Not that I have OCD about this, or anything.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 14th January 2024 at 09:07.

That IS a lovely dial and the smooth bezel and oyster bracelet help to tone that DJ down but as WalkerWerk said, the polished lug tops and centre links kill it for me (between the two).

I suspect you’d be happy with either just go with your heart, not your head!

Both look great and good dial choice colour.
    Maybe get to try them on at the same time side by side.
    I'd go for the Omega in this case just for the more interesting dial to me.

Good luck with your choice, I think either way you'll be happy and get years of use out of.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Rethinking this, my advice is to buy neither and go for a Rolex OP36, closer to the traditional Rolex concept with brushed lug tops and brushed bracelet, reminds me more of the pre-2006 Datejust before they changed to the fatter lugs and polished lug tops. The fatter lugs has been addressed but the polished lug tops is still a bit off for me.

As for size, now the Rolex DJ case has had its lugs slimmed down the design 'flows' more from the bracelet into the watch head, almost like an integral bracelet design, that's something I always liked about the pre 2006 models. I think the design works best in 36mm and unless you've got wrists like a bear it's plenty big enough.
    Ah you mean a DateJust like this reminds you of the OP, albeit this one is not on an oyster bracelet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Ah you mean a DateJust like this reminds you of the OP, albeit this one is not on an oyster bracelet.
    That's the one I'd be looking for if I wanted a light dial Rolex - with oyster bracelet as you suggest.

Reference 16200. White or Silver dial

You can find them with Buckley dials as well.

DJ for me, I find the ATs are trying to hard (mainly to be a DJ) & that teak dial would bother me once the release a new model. Have you considered the shades model? They have a date function and probably similar to the DJ.

Master
    In isolation the DJ looks good but compared to the AT I can't help but think it looks a bit frumpy or old fashioned.

The new AT's look great except for the date at 6, really frustrating that they moved it!

Thanks everyone for the feedback on here, I’ve really enjoyed reading people’s comments and opinions. No matter how much I considered it I really couldn’t decide between the two - they both have all the criteria I wanted and are both great watches.

So, on that basis I decided to just see which one I could get the best deal on. Inevitably that was the Omega. I originally thought I’d buy one new, but I found a brilliant two year old example on eBay from a really good seller, excellent condition with box, papers, pictogram and balance of the Omega 5 year warranty, plus some bonus straps. Agreed a price of £3000 down from £3150.

It’s been to the eBay authentication office and landed with me from them today and I have to say I’m bloody chuffed, exactly as described and the process was seamless - bought Monday, authenticated Wednesday, delivered to me today (Thursday). Early observations are the bracelet is lovely, no major issue with lack of micro as I’ve got a nice fit on my wrist. The size is perfect for me and the dial is gorgeous - sporty but versatile, interesting to look at, polar white in the daylight with a nice silvery hue in lower light.

I think all the size and spec etc have been done to death in the chat, so I’ll just post a few pics to close the circle on the article, cheers for all the input.

Master
    Only just seen this thread but that would have been my choice as well. Congrats! Very smart.