closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maldives it is Paradise

Master
    Blog Entries
    For people with busy hectic lives I expect its exactly what they want/need, doing nothing just watching the river flow.

What do the locals do for entertainment?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    For people with busy hectic lives I expect its exactly what they want/need, doing nothing just watching the river flow.

Survive.

For the average Maldivian, life is tough.

I also remember reading that they are big funders of Islamic terrorist organisations, but you never know quite what to believe these days.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Seems the Forum has turned into Greta’s fun time place!

You do realise that beauty can be just appreciated. It does not mean that people are unaware of the globe’s climate challenges.

A lot of whataboutism here from the worthy souls!
    Thank you and dead right. I came here and for last three days I have not heard a internal combustion engine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    What's the cycling like there? I'd like to go but I have to get out on a road bike.

Even the roads are sand on the islands, so it would have to be gravel bikes. To get distance you would be doing laps.

The Maldives hold a special place in my heart and I’ve been there over a dozen times, including a number of weeks at a marine research station that’s about as far south as you can get there.
    I don’t know about it being ‘paradise’ but it’s certainly been one of the most enjoyable places I’ve been to and it’s given me many great memories.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Thank you and dead right. I came here and for last three days I have not heard a internal combustion engine.
    Now that does sound like bliss!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Not a great deal for them to do, as in most third world countries, work to exist to keep a roof over their heads and feed their families, while the affluent West helps them along. But most of these people accept this and enjoy meeting and looking after us.

My wife walks with a stick at the moment while she awaits her new knee replacement in March, one of the waiters in the dining room as assigned him self to looking after her, carrying her meals and generally making sure she is totally happy. The guy is a legend and I will tip him probably a months wages, and to me it’s worth every penny, and if it brings his family happiness that’s alright by me
    Last edited by hilly10; 12th January 2024 at 19:29.

The guy is a legend and I will tip him probably a months wages, and to me it’s worth every penny, and if it brings his family happiness that’s alright by me
    Good for you.
    He will typically earn £6 per day - before his accommodation and food is deducted.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I've thought about it a few times and a few sets of friends have gone. To be honest I've been put off to an extent as snorkeling, eating and lying on a beach is all they've told me they've done.

Is there anything else to do?
    Went a few years ago, Dolphins,Swimming with Giant manta ray's, Whale sharks, but unfortunately they couldn't place them, maldivian fishing is an eye opener. ski jets, the first time you see a flying fox you will literally sh*** yourself, there are baby white tipped sharks swimming in the bay.

We spotted black tips, lemon sharks, not a lot to do really in between lying on beach and stuffing your face, only problem is you'll compare it to every other holiday you've been on and they'll lose hands down.
    Last edited by the big fella; 29th January 2024 at 00:53.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We encountered some larger black tips when we cleared the point where the seabed drops quite a lot deeper, a shock at first but you soon settle down as they just ignore you a swim on by.

We have now arrived in Bali where we will spend the week before flying home next weekend. We will have spent a month all told and the Maldives being the highlight, but all of the other places, Phuket, Penang, Kuala Lumpur and Lambok have been wonderful places to visit. Bali is a world away from where we started but we love it all the same.

Counting Islands, Territories and Countries I have now been to around eighty two, I am just hoping to stay fit so as to do a fair few more. We have a marvellous world out there it’s a crime not to go see it.

Ps Just about getting used to this Equatorial humidity now, Singapore was off the scale, god know’s how the F1 drivers cope
    Last edited by hilly10; 29th January 2024 at 06:21.

We encountered some larger black tips when we cleared the point where the seabed drops quite a lot deeper, a shock at first but you soon settle down as they just ignore you a swim on by.

We have now arrived in Bali where we will spend the week before flying home next weekend. We will have spent a month all told and the Maldives being the highlight, but all of the other places, Phuket, Penang, Kuala Lumpur and Lambok have been wonderful places to visit. Bali is a world away from where we started but we love it all the same.

Counting Islands, Territories and Countries I have now been to around eighty two, I am just hoping to stay fit so as to do a fair few more. We have a marvellous world out there it’s a crime not to go see it.

Ps Just about getting used to this Equatorial humidity now, Singapore was off the scale, god know’s how the F1 drivers cope
    Sounds like you are having a fabulous trip. Very jealous as I sit on my commuter plane to Germany on a wet Morning morning

We went last year and stayed at the ritz Carlton.
    Holiday of a lifetime and enjoyed every second.
    Would go back in an instant

We have a marvellous world out there it’s a crime not to go see it.
    Yep, enjoy it while you can, jet setters.

Maldives it is Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Sheesh…What a worthy killjoy you are!

You must just bring light, joy and good tidings wherever you walk too, Greta!

It's ok they probably have an ev.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It's ok they probably have an ev.
    Let’s hope so! ;-)

Yours, ‘Greta’. :-x

Master
    Blog Entries

Will do.

No EV but only do 150 miles a month on average, apart for a couple of trips up north per annum.

Master
    Will do.

No EV but only do 150 miles a month on average, apart for a couple of trips up north per annum.
    EVs seem to be dragged into everything as the villain of the piece in every discussion involving climate and sustainability, even where the topic is holidaying in what looks like a beautiful place.

It is worth looking at our impact around such trips though, a 1 person round trip from Heathrow to the Maldives in Economy on a 777 is around 2.7t of CO2, or around the same emissions as driving 6000 miles in an economical petrol hatchback.

Flying comes with a big carbon footprint, but then so does driving.

If the average EU27 citizen is responsible for 7.2t of carbon every year, you can see how flying and driving contributes to that.

Back to the Maldives, it does look like a beautiful place, and I’d rather be there than about to set off for work here in a cold damp UK!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    EVs seem to be dragged into everything as the villain of the piece in every discussion involving climate and sustainability, even where the topic is holidaying in what looks like a beautiful place.

It is worth looking at our impact around such trips though, a 1 person round trip from Heathrow to the Maldives in Economy on a 777 is around 2.7t of CO2, or around the same emissions as driving 6000 miles in an economical petrol hatchback.

Flying comes with a big carbon footprint, but then so does driving.

If the average EU27 citizen is responsible for 7.2t of carbon every year, you can see how flying and driving contributes to that.

Back to the Maldives, it does look like a beautiful place, and I’d rather be there than about to set off for work here in a cold damp UK!
    sources put the average Brit at 11.7 t of carbon every year…amazing really given nearly all the heavy industry has mostly been outsourced already…digging deeper it appears to be transport, motor vehicles and flights, food consumption the meaty aspect plus quite a lot of food waste, poor housing quality and hefty consumption of stuff, clothes , gadgets and gizmos like phones and so forth…phat of the land, lotsa toys to make up for the lousy weather and long work hours I guess
    Open Access govt reckon Brits could reduce their emissions by 28 per cent…can’t really see that being voluntary, people need new cars every few years, lotsa stuff, hols in Maldives etc to make life worth living…It would require grasping too many nettles To change things, least ways perhaps until like in the Maldives it’s right on folks doorsteps….plus without real global collab it’s just widdling into the wind.
    Last edited by Passenger; 30th January 2024 at 10:31.

EVs seem to be dragged into everything
    And you seem to be right behind them, with a comment, every time without fail !!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    And you seem to be right behind them, with a comment, every time without fail !!!!
    And that’s a problem for you because?

And that’s a problem for you because?
    More of an observation if you will...

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are certain people on this forum with such a holier than thou attitude, it makes me wonder how they live their lives. Do they live their lives constantly trying to live a carbon free existence, I think not. If they want to spend their lives preaching how to save the planet, go tell the Chinese and other heavy polluting countries, because when you compare our emissions it’s minuscule.

Master

According to Shell I generate 2.9t of CO2 per week every week, on my contract there are 17 of me doing the same every week. Shame I can’t switch it to a flight to the Maldives and back.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    There are certain people on this forum with such a holier than thou attitude, it makes me wonder how they live their lives. Do they live their lives constantly trying to live a carbon free existence, I think not. If they want to spend their lives preaching how to save the planet, go tell the Chinese and other heavy polluting countries, because when you compare our emissions it’s minuscule.
    Amen, they’re just after cheap point scoring and it’s tiring. As weird as TAG is wi the his views at least he admits he is driving an EV for the tax break.

Master
    Whataboutism is really easy, but doesn’t really change anything, nor does making massive assumptions about how people live their lives just because they hold a different view to you. I don’t recall asking for any life advice on here, I choose my own car/boots/jackets/watches etc, and do ok. :-D

A carbon free existence is unrealistic, I don’t advocate for that, but there are things I do because they’re easy, do make a difference and because I owe it to my family, and little to do with EVs as it happens. If that makes me a bad person in some folks eyes, then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Amen, they’re just after cheap point scoring and it’s tiring. As weird as TAG is wi the his views at least he admits he is driving an EV for the tax break.
    Discussing a topic isn’t point scoring, again, I didn’t raise EVs in this topic either, that seems to be the role of the ‘EV Curious’ on the forum.

Actually, my looking at the carbon involved in a direct flight to the Maldives pleasantly surprised me, I thought it would be much more, and might actually lead me to taking a holiday there, whilst it still exists anyway.

It does look utterly beautiful.

Master
    Whataboutism is really easy, but doesn’t really change anything, nor does making massive assumptions about how people live their lives just because they hold a different view to you. I don’t recall asking for any life advice on here, I choose my own car/boots/jackets/watches etc, and do ok. :-D

A carbon free existence is unrealistic, I don’t advocate for that, but there are things I do because they’re easy, do make a difference and because I owe it to my family, and little to do with EVs as it happens. If that makes me a bad person in some folks eyes, then so be it.

Discussing a topic isn’t point scoring, again, I didn’t raise EVs in this topic either, that seems to be the role of the ‘EV Curious’ on the forum.

Actually, my looking at the carbon involved in a direct flight to the Maldives pleasantly surprised me, I thought it would be much more, and might actually lead me to taking a holiday there, whilst it still exists anyway.

It does look utterly beautiful.
    It is the transit time I struggle with, as was tempted for this year, but it just kills the idea - and having seen where I would want to stay, I cannot afford that nightly cost!

Hardly a villain (or anything -ve ) about evs here, you can stand down.

- - - Updated - - -

Hardly a villain (or anything -ve ) about evs here, you can stand down.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As are 99% of BIK drivers if the truth is know. It will be a different story when the next government goes after them as Fossil Fuel cars sales wane.

Well someone, somewhere has got to manufacture the cars, chips, phones, batteries, textiles/clothes and so forth that the developed world and which their own people aspire to own…while building and developing their own infrastructure , economies to catch up with, overtake the west…no preaching here, our goose is cooked, it’s all just widdling in the wind at this point, displacement activity and monetising carbon capture/ green wash schemes….get thee to the Maldives, take the grand kids before it’s gone, we get one life live it to the max, we will all be a long time dead after all.

I don’t think anyone’s villainising EVs either….though Elno is certainly a villain by many measures, regimes mentioning no names that use slave labour I feel could also be fairly categorised thus. Just my view.

Master
    As are 99% of BIK drivers if the truth is know. It will be a different story when the next government goes after them as Fossil Fuel cars sales wane.
    Fully agree with you there. I toyed with the Taycan, but we own all our cars outright and the idea of saving some tax to get a car I didn’t want or need seemed pointless.

I’d not have sold any of the other cars & don’t need 4 cars for the 2 of us. Well maybe a cobra replica but that doesn’t work on the salary sacrifice lol

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fully agree with you there. I toyed with the Taycan, but we own all our cars outright and the idea of saving some tax to get a car I didn’t want or need seemed pointless.

I’d not have sold any of the other cars & don’t need 4 cars for the 2 of us. Well maybe a cobra replica but that doesn’t work on the salary sacrifice lol
    We only use one car now and do very little mileage. My TR6 barely does 1000 miles a year, we use the train into Birmingham, and a free Bus Pass will get us to Lichfield and back when an afternoon of good beer is in order. I do try and do my bit.

Master
    My best holiday ever was to the maldives. Next time I would learn to dive. We did lots of amazing snorkling

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    We start our journey home later today landing in Birmingham on Sunday morning. We were dreading the two flights home 9hrs with 2hr break then 8hrs I did have an offer from Emirates to upgrade to business two weeks into our trip they were far to much money, but I was pleasantly surprised to receive a great offer for all four of us to upgrade to Business yesterday, one that we have excepted, and so finishes the holiday brilliantly.

It’s been a fantastic holiday, four weeks in total, seen and done so much inthe time we had. To all the critics regarding planet warming and travel emissions, my take when you look at the places we have been all in one hit, I personally think we have been quite responsible.
    Last edited by hilly10; 3rd February 2024 at 04:35.