closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A confession.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    There’s a lot more to enjoying watches than their design and/or as wealth or taste signifiers but - without being rude - it seems that is lost on you?
    Lighten up fella. I personally don’t need a watch to signify wealth but I accept plenty do. No bother! We are all in it for different reasons. Curate your life (or don’t) as you see fit. I know I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    That feels like the answer to a question I am not asking - solar atomic Casios of any flavour could never be confused with art, style, beauty, eye candy

I think I appreciate beauty for its own sake. I love paintings, for example

Don’t shoot me!
    You’re probably safe here but you might catch a bit of flak if you say that in G-Shock enthusiast circles! Some of the designs are entirely out there, but some have a beauty in their simplicity and functionality, at least in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    My taste in watches is predominantly vintage, mostly 3 handers, NOT divers or chronos. I prefer the symmetry of non-date, I rarely need to check the date so that isn`t a problem and I haven`t reached the stage where I can`t remember what day it is.

I've never embraced the mobile phone culture so I`d never dream of looking a phone to check the time, I always have a watch on and when doing DIY or in the gym the trusty Casio F91W does the job, horrible looking thing but very functional. If I need to check the time I look at my wrist, always have and always will.

I strongly favour style and aesthetics, ironically for one who spends a lot of time taking them apart I`m not too fussy about what's inside provided it's decent quality and working OK. If I was starting again to build a collection I think I`d buy more quartz watches, for years I`ve disregarded them as poor relations but recently I`ve changed my views. Eco-drive and similar have never appealed, neither fish nor fowl in my view, and I`ve always had an aversion against tuning fork watches simply because parts are like hens teeth to source and a dead electronic watch is well and truly dead.

Can`t imagine wearing a watch that didn`t work, that's taking it a step too far!
    Totally with you on the quartz front. There’s a level of watch snobbery on forums that puts people off quartz (and a great many other things) early on in a collecting journey. Having said that, I coudnt imagine paying £30k for a quartz nautilus. But there are plenty of quartz Seiko / GS that have tickled my fancy. Shame about their bracelets though that’s topic of another convo!

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_ie View Post
    You’re probably safe here but you might catch a bit of flak if you say that in G-Shock enthusiast circles! Some of the designs are entirely out there, but some have a beauty in their simplicity and functionality, at least in my eyes.
    I respect that - I like the idea of many G-shocks and own a few. They will mostly all go at some point as I narrow down to stuff I actually love wearing. I accept my taste may change over time and I’m fine with that :)

As this is a confessional thread, since breaking the day-date mechanism on a 7750 whilst setting it I'm not too bothered setting day/date on those anymore, just the time. Yes I know all the rules for when to set these watches but somehow still managed to break it. 2024 will be the year I get a few of my watches serviced so it will be an expensive year. At least four need doing from Omega, Sinn, Breitling and one of Eddie's early Precistas. I'll soon be scouring all the 'servicing recommendation' threads.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    A $1,000 fake, a little sleight of hand, and you're in like Flynn!