closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A confession.

A confession.

I do not set the time on my modest watch collection. If I do, it will be for a time sensitive wrist shot.

I do of course wind things up to see if they still live and beat and to keep the watch juices juicy.

I am possibly a total poser, wearing watches for their style value alone.

Despite that I realise, after reading an article in GQ yesterday, that I am not alone. Perhaps I have never been alone:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/articl...-similarity-v2

I'm sorry for this and all my sins!

Craftsman
    I encountered this on the Tube probably 5-6 years ago - I was admiring a chap's Nomos, but couldn't work out what timezone it was set to. Turns out it was the "I just picked the watch up and stuck it on my wrist" zone; we didn't talk enough to work out if he was just in a rush that morning, or if it's just a bangle.

Not having the correct time on a wristwatch would drive me potty - it throws me when I notice my wife had forgotten to wind her watch - I don't see the point of not using a product/tool/item for its intended purpose, but that I've never had a reputation for having Warhol's artistic streak or any sort of fashion sense what so ever, so what do I know?

I've encountered it a few times, sometimes it's a case of their not having realised that failed to set it that day (I know I've done that once before where I only realised when I checked the date that was clearly wrong), but others it's been a case of their not being able to read the time any more due to eyesight/illegibility of the dial, or pure posering.

There is a blurring between intentionally not setting the time, and no longer bothering because you can't see it any more. I imagine quite a few Daytonas remain unset, but few will notice because they're so hard to read anyway (I say this having never owned one).

I will often grab a watch in the morning as I’m rushing out of the door and not set the time until later. On one or two occasions I’ve not looked at my wrist all day and realised once I got home.

It’s not a routine habit though

Craftsman
    I have infrequently worn a watch with the wrong date, particularly my Nomos due to the annoying setting method, but wrong time is madness! Haha
    I suppose if it makes you happy then more power to you!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Master
    I confess to not always changing the date on my JLC annual calendar as it is a rather convoluted process and if I am only wearing it for a couple of days/the weekend in particular, it isn't a big issue to me!

I haven't knowingly not set the time however when wearing a watch though occasionally I have looked down and realised the time was totally wrong having forgotten to set it when I picked up in the morning...

Journeyman
    Next time someone accuses me of being a poser I shall cite this article and my obsessive tracking of my watches' timekeeping performance as evidence for the defence!

A confession.

The thing is

Even if I do set my watch and look down to check the time

I inevitably end up checking my phone to double verify…
    gosh, is that the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I couldn’t. I just couldn’t.
    Not only do I have to set the date and time, I also have to make sure the minute hand and second hand are in perfect synchronicity. Even if I’m only going to be wearing the watch for a couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Likewise, I simply couldn't. Indeed I can't fathom the scenario where I COULD be bothered looking it out and putting it on, but COULDN'T be bothered setting the time.

I do hate setting dates and as a result most of my watches are dateless which makes setting very quick - but date or no, I'd always set it (and wind it if needed) when putting on.

This sounds like buying books by the foot for interior decorating.

I sometimes pick up a watch and assume it’s still running and then am pretty discombobulated when I look at it when the time doesn’t seem right.

I think it’s pretty weird to wear a watch and not even set it, regardless of whether you use it to tell the time or not.

I always set the time when I pick up a watch from the box.
    Despite the second hand being spot on, I often have it 5 minutes fast or slow and sometimes even forget about the hour.
    Priorities...

---
    BUBI
    @porque.racing

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I do not set the time on my modest watch collection. If I do, it will be for a time sensitive wrist shot.

I do of course wind things up to see if they still live and beat and to keep the watch juices juicy.

I am possibly a total poser, wearing watches for their style value alone.

Despite that I realise, after reading an article in GQ yesterday, that I am not alone. Perhaps I have never been alone:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/articl...-similarity-v2

I'm sorry for this and all my sins!
    Sorry’s not really going to cut it. The Watch Gestapo will be calling shortly to drag you into an alley and shoot you in the back of the head.

A confession.

Burn him! Burn the witch!

On a very rare occasion I have grabbed a watch without setting it first thing in the morning usually when heading for an early morning flight. I have told myself I will set it when I get a moment but then forgotten.

It throws me completely when later that day I glance down at my watch and see what is clearly an incorrect time. I then feel terribly embarrassed!

PS you are a poser because you read GQ!

Grand Master
    I know 3 people who wear their quartz watches with dead batteries!!.
    Tell them everytime I see them to get the battery changed,but tbh I guess they have leaked.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ridiculous… who would wear a watch that doesn’t show the correct time.

More than 15s out and I have to correct it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Ridiculous… who would wear a watch that doesn’t show the correct time.

More than 15s out and I have to correct it.
    Ditto!.

Master
    Brought wife and daughter lovely watches, they never set them #posers

I might occasionally put one on without setting, then set it the next time I get a chance. Has the benefit of the watch getting some rotor generated power without me having to wind it manually.

When it comes to date, I've largely bought ND watches recently and will leave a watch in the box until the right date comes round.

Craftsman
    Ohh interesting, when I wear a watch, I always set the time 5 mins fast… I often consider not setting the date but in the end when setting the time, I succumb to setting the date.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    Ohh interesting, when I wear a watch, I always set the time 5 mins fast… I often consider not setting the date but in the end when setting the time, I succumb to setting the date.
    I like to re-set my watches if they are more than about a minute away from correct time. But when I set the time I will vary it depending on whether the watch is losing or gaining e.g. if the watch is gaining I'd set it a minute behind correct time so it'll be longer until I need to set it again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I always set the time 5 mins fast.
    Why? So you are not late?

But you know you have set it fast so just allow for that when managing your time …. Why not set it 10 minutes fast then sometimes you might be early …

Master
    My tolerance of the accuracy of a watch depends on the direction of travel, with respect to its timekeeping.

For example my Mk XII. It gains a few seconds a day (5 or 6, something like that). I don't mind it being 40 seconds slow, because I know that its accuracy is moving in the right direction. It'll be about 35 seconds slow tomorrow. But as soon as it's a few seconds fast, I start to feel irritated because it's getting worse by the day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I might occasionally put one on without setting, then set it the next time I get a chance. Has the benefit of the watch getting some rotor generated power without me having to wind it manually.

When it comes to date, I've largely bought ND watches recently and will leave a watch in the box until the right date comes round.
    I prefer ND watches for that reason but often wear the date ones with the time set correctly but the date not bothered with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Why? So you are not late?

But you know you have set it fast so just allow for that when managing your time …. Why not set it 10 minutes fast then sometimes you might be early …
    My dad does this and I've never got it either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I couldn’t. I just couldn’t.
    Not only do I have to set the date and time, I also have to make sure the minute hand and second hand are in perfect synchronicity. Even if I’m only going to be wearing the watch for a couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Same...points to our OCD! I always set using time.is to the second.

Wearing a watch is becoming a novelty these days though, so happy to go through the above is actually quite fun.

When I used to wear the same watch daily and not switch for a long time, I also used to set it accuractely and then review where it was after a month in terms of timekeeping.

Master
    Clarity, quick readability, accuracy, build quality, good fit - all these for me are priority over style.

There's nothing stylish about me, not whatsoever.

Journeyman

Angry

It's the OCD that has turned me back on to quartz watches. When I look in my box, and see a couple of day/dates that are wrong time/day/date or my quartz watches that are precisely right it irritates me that I might have to sit and wait a minute or 2 to get the Hodinkee app out and perfectly set the second hand to internet time if I'm going to be picking up a mechanical.

Having a watch on the wrist that isn't just right is an anathema.

Master
    Can’t see the point of wearing a watch not displaying the correct time. Guess that’s why I’m fond of Grand Seikos.

I'm afraid the quality of this confession thread has not met the standard.

Can one of the mods please delete it ?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    My dad does this and I've never got it either.
    I guess it only works if you have a split personality and one sets the watch and the other later reads it not knowing the other personality set it 5 minutes fast ….🤪

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Can’t see the point of wearing a watch not displaying the correct time. Guess that’s why I’m fond of Grand Seikos.
    +1

My typical day (I'm quartz fan):

when I get up in the morning, I first check the exact time and date, then I put the watch on the Horotect tester, if it shows more than 3 sec/month, I repeat the dip with another watch.
    When it meets the criteria, then I put the watch on my left wrist.

With the exception of the 7c46, which is factory-accurate to 1.28sec/month, all my quartz watches have a trimmer.
    Last edited by matt; 11th January 2024 at 13:08.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    +1

when I get up in the morning, I first check the exact time and date, then I put the watch on the Horotect tester, if it shows more than 3 sec/month, I repeat the dip with another watch.
    When it meets the criteria, then I put the watch on my left wrist.
    So it might lose 0.1s whilst you're wearing it? Doubt it could be set that acurately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doubt it could be set that acurately.

Never doubt someone's madness

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post6256608

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post6286565

Master
    Two more, bought form Australian seller in the summer 2023, from few minutes ago, first one is from 1978, second one is from 1981.

https://i.postimg.cc/q44W2G0y/1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Xn0cznQC/2.jpg
    Last edited by matt; 11th January 2024 at 16:10.

Height of laziness not setting a watch! T'would sorely vex me finding a watch on my wrist that was nether wound nor set. Plus I'd have to face the fact that dementia is creeping-up...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Height of laziness not setting a watch! T'would sorely vex me finding a watch on my wrist that was nether wound nor set. Plus I'd have to face the fact that dementia is creeping-up...
    I'll simply not wear a watch if I haven't set the time and if required - date, no point in putting it on.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'll simply not wear a watch if I haven't set the time and if required - date, no point in putting it on.

Absolutely!

"Watches are just jewellery" has become a bit of a meme in recent years. I've caught myself saying it more than once, and while it's each to his own, I actually value the timekeeping aspect very much. In a world of ever-more intrusive smart devices, the simplicity and yet exquisite-engineering of an old-school wristwatch are more satisfying than ever before. Just seems completely bizarre not to use them for their intended purpose.

There is an answer. Solar atomic Casio of any flavour.
    But you’d probably keep that in a dark drawer and kill it.
    Not being pro faced but I’ve never heard anything more ridiculous tbh. Are you Joey Essex?

Master
    A colleague at work has a Deepsea, whenever I see him wear it he now automatically takes it off and gives it to me to set time and date.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    A colleague at work has a Deepsea, whenever I see him wear it he now automatically takes it off and gives it to me to set time and date.
    A $1,000 fake, a little sleight of hand, and you're in like Flynn!

I prefer ND watches for that reason but often wear the date ones with the time set correctly but the date not bothered with.
    Same here - especially if just going out for dinner or a drink, but could never not set the time !

Have a customer who wears a stopped Rolex - that really drives me mad !

I love my Seiko SKX007 and CWC Mellor but as I don’t wear a watch when at home in the evening or weekend, I find the watch has stopped or running slow when it’s Monday.

I end up wearing my Casio Gshock or CWC Fatboy as I don’t need to set the time. I do have an Apple Watch which is handy at work for checking messages / reminders etc but forget to charge.

The time has to be correct. Helps to know exactly how late the train is.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I always set the time 5 mins fast….
    I always set mine 3 minutes fast.
    Leftover habit from when I knew I had 3 mins for a quick cig before work/meeting/whatever.

But, coincidentally ive worked out that my SD/DJ lose ever so slightly.
    So by the time it comes to change to BST or whatever, they're still on or just over time and never slow.

If I grab a watch 'to go' of a morning then it's always a quartz as I know it will be as close to spot on as makes no real difference. But if I pick up one of my clockwork watches I always set it to the second before I put it on - even if Lynn is pestering me to take her out shopping!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

A confession.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    There is an answer. Solar atomic Casio of any flavour.
    That feels like the answer to a question I am not asking - solar atomic Casios of any flavour could never be confused with art, style, beauty, eye candy

I think I appreciate beauty for its own sake. I love paintings, for example

Don’t shoot me!

This might be part of the reason why I have an ND collection (the big reason being a fascination with symmetry and balance in all things)

That is save for 1 watch which despite being a minor inconvenience to date-set, is still a faff (126710).

Even if I try my best to remember, I inevitably forget that my watch tells time / date and get that info from clocks, phone, PC etc.

Watches as timekeeping devices are now obsolete for many of us, if we are honest.

A confession.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    That feels like the answer to a question I am not asking - solar atomic Casios of any flavour could never be confused with art, style, beauty, eye candy

I think I appreciate beauty for its own sake. I love paintings, for example

Don’t shoot me!

They are right at the top of the tree if you need to reliably tell the exact time.
    Regardless of style I’d feel like an idiot wearing a watch I didn’t actually use or need because I thought it looked nice. I simply wouldn’t wear a watch. There’s a lot more to enjoying watches than their design and/or as wealth or taste signifiers but - without being rude - it seems that is lost on you?
    Possibly it’s a generational thing. I never use my phone to look at the time, if I’m in a meeting or out with friends my phone stays in my pocket. If I glance at it to tell the time I might appear rude - so I glance at my watch. In the evening when I’m at home my iPhone goes into a cupboard so I’m not tempted to waste my evening staring at a tiny screen. I know it’s bed time because I’m still wearing my watch!
    Last edited by RobDad; 12th January 2024 at 17:27.

Grand Master
    My taste in watches is predominantly vintage, mostly 3 handers, NOT divers or chronos. I prefer the symmetry of non-date, I rarely need to check the date so that isn`t a problem and I haven`t reached the stage where I can`t remember what day it is.

I've never embraced the mobile phone culture so I`d never dream of looking a phone to check the time, I always have a watch on and when doing DIY or in the gym the trusty Casio F91W does the job, horrible looking thing but very functional. If I need to check the time I look at my wrist, always have and always will.

I strongly favour style and aesthetics, ironically for one who spends a lot of time taking them apart I`m not too fussy about what's inside provided it's decent quality and working OK. If I was starting again to build a collection I think I`d buy more quartz watches, for years I`ve disregarded them as poor relations but recently I`ve changed my views. Eco-drive and similar have never appealed, neither fish nor fowl in my view, and I`ve always had an aversion against tuning fork watches simply because parts are like hens teeth to source and a dead electronic watch is well and truly dead.

Can`t imagine wearing a watch that didn`t work, that's taking it a step too far!