closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Used bmw buying advice

Used bmw buying advice

Hi all, I’m looking to replace my old golf gt with a bmw 430d gran coupe.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in owning one or driving one as this would be my first beemer.
    I’ve not yet had the chance to get out and drive one yet but hopefully get a chance to in the next few weeks.
    Thanks fellas

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great car, get the adaptive suspension if going M spec.

If going approved used, don’t make any assumptions and do all normal checks as you might for a private sale. In particular, pay particular attention to the specification of the tyres: every aspect must adhere to the plate in the driver’s door shut and the heavier engines often erroneously get the two-litre spec tyres of incorrect load and/or speed rating.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    If going approved used, don’t make any assumptions and do all normal checks as you might for a private sale. In particular, pay particular attention to the specification of the tyres: every aspect must adhere to the plate in the driver’s door shut and the heavier engines often erroneously get the two-litre spec tyres of incorrect load and/or speed rating.
    I’d not even thought of that

Master
    I picked up an M440i xdrive GC in November 23 having had a 530D m sport for 6 years which was a great car but lacked tech and I fancied something a little more exciting.
    I’ve been very pleased so far, comfy with adaptable suspension, plenty of oomph and 43mpg on a motorway run which will improve, was getting 53mpg from the 530D. It’s a very relaxing drive more so than the M340i, see below, but really sharpens up when called upon, once you learn the sequence of things to tap push or pull. The new LCI tech takes some getting used to, but getting there now.
    I spent a lot of time deciding between this or the M340i touring but as it is mainly the two of us now, the 4 felt more stylish and comfortable in the front where you have more arm space over the 3. I’m 5ft 11 and can sit in the back comfortably but much over 6ft 1, and you might be struggling for headspace in the rear depending on torso / leg ratio, so this is definitely worth checking out for your requirements.
    I would say well worth considering 440 petrol variants as well as diesel and when I was looking the dealer finance deal on offer made it a no brainer to go new rather then year or so old, 4.9% vs 10.9–12.9% oh and haggle like mad, especially if you have a decent part ex, it took me two months to finalise a deal between various dealerships to get what I wanted. Oh and obviously you have more leverage if they have your ideal spec in showroom stock.
    I did consider an M3 and M4 but they were too raw for my mainly motorway commutes, so felt I got the right compromise between initial cost, performance, comfort and economy.
    All IMO of course.
    Edited to add, the rear headroom space in the M440i GC was similar in the M340i saloon, although there was slightly more headroom in the M340i touring.
    Last edited by Cat7; 7th January 2024 at 09:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    I picked up an M440i xdrive GC in November 23 having had a 530D m sport for 6 years which was a great car but lacked tech and I fancied something a little more exciting.
    I’ve been very pleased so far, comfy with adaptable suspension, plenty of oomph and 43mpg on a motorway run which will improve, was getting 53mpg from the 530D. It’s a very relaxing drive more so than the M340i, see below, but really sharpens up when called upon, once you learn the sequence of things to tap push or pull. The new LCI tech takes some getting used to, but getting there now.
    I spent a lot of time deciding between this or the M340i touring but as it is mainly the two of us now, the 4 felt more stylish and comfortable in the front where you have more arm space over the 3. I’m 5ft 11 and can sit in the back comfortably but much over 6ft 1, and you might be struggling for headspace in the rear depending on torso / leg ratio, so this is definitely worth checking out for your requirements.
    I would say well worth considering 440 petrol variants as well as diesel and when I was looking the dealer finance deal on offer made it a no brainer to go new rather then year or so old, 4.9% vs 10.9–12.9% oh and haggle like mad, especially if you have a decent part ex, it took me two months to finalise a deal between various dealerships to get what I wanted. Oh and obviously you have more leverage if they have your ideal spec in showroom stock.
    I did consider an M3 and M4 but they were too raw for my mainly motorway commutes, so felt I got the right compromise between initial cost, performance, comfort and economy.
    All IMO of course.
    Edited to add, the rear headroom space in the M440i GC was similar in the M340i saloon, although there was slightly more headroom in the M340i touring.
    Lovely car, and worth mentioning that - being a fastback - it's a better option than the 3 if access to the boot/luggage space is a factor.

Master
    Had 430d GC m performance x drive which got written off due to some numpty setting fireworks off near it, but it was a brilliant car and had most options fitted and would get about 39mpg driving very very sporty, the only thing I felt let it down was the 4 wheel drive system, the TC would come on the rear far to soon and would have quite a bit of under steer that the rear wheel drive don’t have

Master
    Currently in the 435d x-drive GC, 2017 year

Very pleased, plenty room for the kids in the back and the hatch style boot appeals to me more than a saloon. I’d been looking for one of these or a 3 series touring.

Had zero issues mechanically, but I’ve only had it 14 months. There was a recall to replace EGR, which was done and paid for by BMW obviously

Can’t really think of anything I’d fault it on to be honest

Master
    I’ve had the 440i GC and 330d. My GC had pretty much every option fitted including the adaptive cruise and was a nice place to be. Fuel efficiency wise they were very similar with the petrol getting better figures than expected and the diesel worse.

Steering column can be noisy/make a knocking noise and can be a very cheap fix or very expensive if a new column is required.

Check the small rear quarter windows are both fixed securely. It looks like the trim needs pushing back in place but in reality a little clip has broken and the only way to sort it is by replacing the whole window.

If the car is 2017 or later and has the wireless charging option then you should be able to enable wireless Apple Car Play which I found very useful.

The top of the range headlights in the 440 really made a big difference at night.

Thanks for all the info guys,

Craftsman
    Jumping on the back of this thread can anyone offer experience of the current 420i version of the Gran Coupe. I'd certainly be interested in the M440i but budget won't stretch unfortunately

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk