closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amplifier for ipod classic and mission speakers ?

Amplifier for ipod classic and mission speakers ?

Hi All,
    I've been listening a lot to stuff I have on my ipod classic at the moment, mainly music but also the odd podcast and audio book. Trouble is in the house I can't hear the phone or the door or even people asking for assistance with something when I have the earphones in. I've been toying with the idea of connecting them up to a set of speakers and an amp to solve this problem.

I have some older mission 700s ( or possibly even maybe 701s or 702s, the bookshelf ones not the floorstanders, I'll check which they are when I get home ) and cable, both of which I got from Richer Sounds a loooong time ago, that I have always really liked the sound of. The Classic has no bluetooth so I'd need ipod to amp cable connectivity (I think !)

Any hifi buffs on here care to recommend an amp, or something else that will do the job of joining the Classic and Speakers together ? I think the ipod / amp connectivity may be the crux / stumbling block of the matter here, but I'm no expert.

Cheers, Richie

Please excuse me if I am missing something glaringly obvious here ! I don't want to use bluetooth speakers as I love the sound of the missions. TIA

you need any amp you like and can afford and 3.5mm to RCA cable. You connect ipod to amp via cable, connect speakers and turn up the volume.

Craftsman
    I use a ProJect dock which feeds into my Linn Klassic which gives great sound. I also remember some Denon or similar Amps had an Ipod dock built into them but these would be all secondhand now as the Lightning plug/socket superceded the original 15pin. Cheers, John B4

Craftsman
    An iPod speaker dock might be worth trying to source in the used market.

I have the Klipsch iGroove, which is excellent, and also a Logitech MM50, which has the added benefit of taking batteries as well as mains, and hence useful if you also fancied taking it on holiday etc etc. Bose also made a unit that a lot of people bought back in the day.

Look also for an "iPod dock" if you go down to the amplifier/speakers route. Cambridge Audio made a good one, as did Denon, Yamaha, Sony, NAD off the top of my head.

None of this kit should cost that much as the heyday of the iPod was late 00s so all the kit is 10+ years old, with prices to reflect that.

Love my Classic iPod - for me, by some distance, the best product Apple ever made.

I use mine a lot, and have it hooked up to a Yamaha CRX-N470D mini hi-fi unit via a Cambridge Audio iD10 iPod dock. A mini hi-fi receiver (with radio/CD) for the amp function might be another way to go if you want to use your old speakers. Look at Denon or Yamaha.
    Last edited by 459GMB; 5th January 2024 at 18:32.

Master
    You could use pretty much amplifier you like.

Have a look on eBay and Facebook to see what is for sale nearby and go from there. Might be a good way to try it out and see if you like the set-up.

Or, you could go via the powered speakers route, but then you wouldn't be able to use your Mission speakers.

Bit left field - you might be able to go via the Sonos route and buy an old Connect amp, wire in the speakers and use the iPod as your music library. Not 100% sure on this route.

Or, there is a nice Audiolab amp on Sales Corner that would do the trick.

As the others have said, 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect the iPod to the amp.

I always wanted to make a thinking man's portable hifi (in a late 80's styleee), using an ipod classic, hooked through a Mission Cyrus Amp into some wharfedale Diamonds, or similar good but small bookshelf speakers, all on a nice hardwood chassis.
    Never did it, but that would be my choice, although in our kitchen we still have our Denon Midi system running an ipod dock, very well.

I use the universal apple doc. You can get them on eBay. Adds a remote too which is nice. Keeps it charged up and the cables neat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305341286...mis&media=COPY

Then any amp you like, something from NAD might suit those speakers maybe.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Depends on the budget

If it were me, I’d go all-out classic and try a Quad 44pre/Quad 404-2 power amp. Should cost £400ish and they’d suit the Missions well.

If you have a few quid, the Quad Vena II goes with classic Mission speakers like nothing you’d believe: mine drives ‘em like there’s a zero on the end of the price tag of every component in the chain!

The Mission 778X is essentially the same amp from IAG, if you’re tickled by the idea of the brand matching (and it looks smart too).

Try a Leak Stereo 130. I have one in our snug with a pair of JBL L82s. Very nice bit of kit for the money.

FWIW in my main living room I have a pair of Beolab 5s and a Beogram 4000 that I had restored in Denmark, so my ears are not made of cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Try a Leak Stereo 130.
    Yes, by all means: the Leak is yet another reboxed Quad Vena from IAG, so any of those 3 (Quad/Mission/Leak) will be a great solution.

cyrus usually pair well with mission speakers ( iirc they were part of the same company yrs ago) , you should be able to pick up a cyrus 3i amp pretty cheap on fleabay.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Yes, by all means: the Leak is yet another reboxed Quad Vena from IAG, so any of those 3 (Quad/Mission/Leak) will be a great solution.
    I listened to the Quad on the L82s before I bought it at Vickers in York. I was swung by the additional tone controls on the Leak, and the more attractive (to me), packaging of the Leak.

Not much in it though.

Hi All,
    Cheers for the replies, looks like the ipod dock plus amp seems to be the way to go, I had a nosey around to see what's available and it seems Cambridge Audio seem to sell a fair bit of open box / refurbished items themselves on ebay, I wondered if anyone had bought stuff from them via there, seems to cut out the middle man a bit ? and should anything go pear shaped it would I think be easier to return items to them.

Cheers, Richie

PS The speakers are 701s

I was round at a fella's house today- picking up a pair of speakers and he had a Bluetooth interface between his phone and his Amp. Was pretty good - have asked him what unit it is.

Very handy for anyone's playlist.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YY1Q7...hk_typ_imgToDp
    Last edited by blackal; 6th January 2024 at 17:06.

My ageing ipod connects with the ancient amplifier via a cable that goes from the headphone socket to the L+R aux inputs sockets, no need for a docking thing. Would look prettier I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My ageing ipod connects with the ancient amplifier via a cable that goes from the headphone socket to the L+R aux inputs sockets, no need for a docking thing. Would look prettier I suppose.
    Would have thought that the signal from the 30pin was cleaner than the 3.5mm, and therefore more suitable method for pairing with an amp. But I'm probably wrong.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My ageing iPod connects with the ancient amplifier via a cable that goes from the headphone socket to the L+R aux inputs sockets, no need for a docking thing. Would look prettier I suppose.
    The dock I have also charges the iPod as well as providing the audio connectivity. A very useful additional function !

Bought mine for £10 so a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    The dock I have also charges the iPod.
    Fair do's

Another benefit of the dock is that you have access to the iDevice display.

And, while it doesn’t help the OP, the McIntosh AP1 is pretty nice for iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch :)

I used to have one of these: https://youtu.be/L1lhnW-rIBA?si=eaIoljbGFJF2HF4G

Paired with some B&W standmount speakers - bloody loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I used to have one of these: https://youtu.be/L1lhnW-rIBA?si=eaIoljbGFJF2HF4G

Paired with some B&W standmount speakers - bloody loved it!
    Blimey, that looks almost Steampunk in style !

Master
    I used to have a Bose Wave and iPod connection kit for mine, I’m sure you’ll find plenty on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app