closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Mayer Eye Candy

John Mayer Eye Candy

No, I'm not talking about a person, that would be super weird btw. Some time ago, Rolex Daytona in Yellow gold with Green dial, also known as a "John Mayer" came at my desk so I figured, what a great opportunity to make some watch shots.

Unlike it's rose gold variant, this type of gold if very vibrant and 'in your face' (which is the whole point of a Gold Rolex I guess) but it can be easily paired up with casual or dressy clothes. Anyway, here are some shots of the watch, enjoy.

Master
    Awful looking watch but excellent photos as usual.

Master
    [QUOTE=Toddy;6331866]Awful looking watch but excellent photos as usual.[/QUOTE

Totally agree.

Master
    Scrap dealer watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does it come with quick release so the robbers don’t have to cut your arm off?

Thanx guys for all your comments. BTW, did you noticed the tip of the seconds hand in macro shot? Watch is brand new BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    Does it come with quick release so the robbers don’t have to cut your arm off?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post
    Thanx guys for all your comments. BTW, did you noticed the tip of the seconds hand in macro shot? Watch is brand new BTW
    I did wonder about that. The whole of the second hand looks a bit manky in that shot, really. I know gold marks easily, but we’re talking about an exalted level of luxury watch here!

Perhaps they assumed nobody would be able to bear looking at the watch that closely.

Super photos, BTW!
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 6th January 2024 at 10:24.

Master
    Great photos. The Daytona generally isn't for me but I've an increasing interest in getting a gold watch and the colour combo is growing on me (although I remember struggling to wear a green Steinhart sub when I was contemplating a LV).

The second hand looks poor btw but it's a Daytona!

Such weird comments about the watch itself (yes, I'll have one, please). In any event, superlative, magazine quality images as always

John Mayer Eye Candy

Tip of the hour hand doesn't look right.

Or it’s an artifact of some sort?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 6th January 2024 at 22:36.

The design of the watch case, bracelet and dial etc is identical to the SS version as far as I’m aware, so not sure how a generally universally liked watch is somehow godawful when it’s simply in a different metal and dial colour. It’s certainly not to my taste but it’s not awful is it??

Master
    Much prefer to own John Mayer vinyl records.

Great photography skills and an awesome watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    A guy in our village pub bought one a few months back, funnily enough he’s a very successful skip company owner!

Are the sub dial rings coloured red or is that reflection?

I'll stand by other comments - hideous watch but great photos.

Can't wait to see LTF's in the incoming thread. Actually, you probably won't be able to see it.

Master
    Its always a delight to see your watch compositions Nono. There are some talented folk on here when it comes to showing off a watch with such complimentary props / settings.

Grand Master
    Lovely photos.
    RIAC

Really nice pics.

For a Rolex, I quite like it. I wouldn't say that it's a watch that could be paired up with casual clothes though, it's a suit watch through and through. Even looks that way in the photos - which are great btw.

Master
    Super shots of the watch and It has crossed my mind to consolidate a few for one of these before but I think you'd need a perma-tan to carry it off.
    I think you and Tony's images make watches look better than they actually do in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    For a Rolex, I quite like it. I wouldn't say that it's a watch that could be paired up with casual clothes though, it's a suit watch through and through. Even looks that way in the photos - which are great btw.
    On the contrary, it absolutely could.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Super shots of the watch and It has crossed my mind to consolidate a few for one of these before but I think you'd need a perma-tan to carry it off.
    I think you and Tony's images make watches look better than they actually do in real life.
    I can only aspire to Nono’s quality, but I’ll still take the compliment, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Opinions obviously vary but in the photos from the OP I think that it looks completely out of place with the denim jacket and maybe can be carried off with the leather jacket but not for me. Just my opinion but the equivalent of a body builder in a sweater tracksuit with a beautiful woman ready for a night on the town on his arm.

Opinions obviously vary but in the photos from the OP I think that it looks completely out of place with the denim jacket and maybe can be carried off with the leather jacket but not for me. Just my opinion but the equivalent of a body builder in a sweater tracksuit with a beautiful woman ready for a night on the town on his arm.
    They do differ - it looks spot on IMO. You need to let your hair down a bit!

You need to let your hair down a bit!
    That explains it. I have very little, may be I need to look like Sam Ryder to carry it off ;-)

gain guys, thank you so much for your positive comments, I'm really glad that you like the shots.

I did wonder about that. The whole of the second hand looks a bit manky in that shot, really. I know gold marks easily, but we’re talking about an exalted level of luxury watch here!

Perhaps they assumed nobody would be able to bear looking at the watch that closely.

That's pretty normal for machine-stamped hands, all watches from the "crown" have similar finish on their hands but it's not noticable with a naked eye. When you mix in reflection, certain angle of the photo and macro lens, things get in to perspective.

In any event, superlative, magazine quality images as always
    Thank you Tony, your comments are trully appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Tip of the hour hand doesn't look right.

Or it’s an artifact of some sort?
    No, it's just a reflection from the light. That watch is a natural mirror

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Are the sub dial rings coloured red or is that reflection?
    Jup, red.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Its always a delight to see your watch compositions Nono. There are some talented folk on here when it comes to showing off a watch with such complimentary props / settings.
    Thank you Sir!

I would agree with Tony here, watch is statement luxury piece but it really can be toned down with something like a leather jacket/ denim and jeans. After all, it is a sports watch at the end of the day. And If I would get something like that one day, I would use it on a sweatshirt or a hoodie.

It’s a gaudy watch, I think it would look even worse paired with a suit. It’s not exactly a dress piece.

Having said that, I’m not sure what it would look good with.

Hold on, Joey Essex has the answer:

OP: no disrespect meant to you. Your photos as always are outstanding. I hope you don’t mind a bit of joshing!

I would agree with Tony here, watch is statement luxury piece but it really can be toned down with something like a leather jacket/ denim and jeans. After all, it is a sports watch at the end of the day. And If I would get something like that one day, I would use it on a sweatshirt or a hoodie.
    I know that the watch design is based around sports but any suggestion that a solid gold (soft metal) watch at - what is its rrp? - £65k? - is a sports watch, is a 'them' in a 'them and us' world. Along the lines of calling a Range Rover Urban an 'off road vehicle'.

if I was ever in a position to own one, it would only ever be worn on a formal occasion. Stainless steel or titanium are true sports watch metals. silver, gold (of any type) or platinum really aren't. As for wearing it with a sweatshirt or hoody, I wouldn't wear anything beyond a Garmin with either of those and tbh, I would never wear a hoody.

just my opinions of course......

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    It’s a gaudy watch, I think it would look even worse paired with a suit. It’s not exactly a dress piece.
    I get what you're saying. I just think that the photo in the OP with the suit looks the best combination. The one with the leather jacket looks more 90's footballer and the denim looks like the watch is being worn simply to say 'look at me'.

the photos are outstanding and for anyone who chooses to wear such a piece, enjoy. For me though, I'd struggle no matter what the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post

OP: no disrespect meant to you. Your photos as always are outstanding. I hope you don’t mind a bit of joshing!
    Not at all and non taken. The world would be a very boring place if we would have exact opinion on everything

I know that the watch design is based around sports but any suggestion that a solid gold (soft metal) watch at - what is its rrp? - £65k? - is a sports watch, is a 'them' in a 'them and us' world. Along the lines of calling a Range Rover Urban an 'off road vehicle'.

if I was ever in a position to own one, it would only ever be worn on a formal occasion. Stainless steel or titanium are true sports watch metals. silver, gold (of any type) or platinum really aren't. As for wearing it with a sweatshirt or hoody, I wouldn't wear anything beyond a Garmin with either of those and tbh, I would never wear a hoody.

just my opinions of course......
    Sure and I understand. My thoughts were going in the direction that the Daytona , no matter the metal, was a sports watch by it's DNA. Now in steel, it is far sportier than the gold version but if were are talking formal, I think that the John Mayer model would be too much for either a suit or a hoodie. It falls somewhere in between. For a suit I would go with something more classy - if we are talking Rolex, the 1908 fits the bill just as nice

Not at all and non taken. The world would be a very boring place if we would have exact opinion on everything

Sure and I understand. My thoughts were going in the direction that the Daytona , no matter the metal, was a sports watch by its DNA. Now in steel, it is far sportier than the gold version but if were are talking formal, I think that the John Mayer model would be too much for either a suit or a hoodie. It falls somewhere in between. For a suit I would go with something more classy - if we are talking Rolex, the 1908 fits the bill just as nice
    Love the 1908. Can you get your hands on one?

Love the 1908. Can you get your hands on one?
    I can try. A buddy of mine is on the list for one, it's not easily available as I've been told. Well that's the case with all Rolex these days but the dress (Cellini) models were never huge sellers. I guess the 1908 changed that. Anyway If he gets that, I might need to rent a tux for a photoshoot. And a Bond girl

For a suit I would go with something more classy - if we are talking Rolex, the 1908 fits the bill just as nice
    Can't argue with that one, beautiful watch.

As ever on TZ the unsubstantiated and without any real context that the hate is strong here for some reason….same as it is ever was.

This watch has an incredible dial but being yellow gold means it’s quite shouty but it’s a beautiful watch on the wrist for sure.

Made a rough stab of tidying up the corner of the book

Not bad for Snapseed on my phone

Lovely dial and shots! I guess it shows that Rolex finishing quality is the same regardless of whether you buy £5k Oyster Perpetual or a £50k Daytona.

Craftsman
    Stunning images! Great work.

Grand Master
    Still can’t understand why they never sold till Mayer pimped them!

Don’t believe the hype suckers, we are legendary at driving it in the watch selling world
    RIAC

Very competent photographs, what do you shoot with please Nono?

The watch isn't to my liking. I don't like multi dial watches regardless of the name on them, just like I don't like those skeletal type things either, the face is just too crammed with 'stuff'. Simple faces for me. What I fail to understand though, is that on a supposedly very top end piece, defects like that on the second hand are allowed through the quality control and not kept back for use on lesser models.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty normal for machine-stamped hands, all watches from the "crown" have similar finish on their hands but it's not noticable with a naked eye. When you mix in reflection, certain angle of the photo and macro lens, things get in to perspective.
    I realise that this level of macro is pretty unforgiving. I just kinda thought that for a watch at this price point there might be a bit more QC, or even polishing after the hand was stamped. I don't think I've ever really studied macro of Rolex dials / hands before.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Made a rough stab of tidying up the corner of the book

Not bad for Snapseed on my phone
    Haha, not a bad job. that book is used a lot, patina is getting stronger by every day :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    Very competent photographs, what do you shoot with please Nono?
    Thanx mate. Nothing special really, I use the same setup for years: Canon 750D + Canon 60mm Macro lens and lot of light sources

I realise that this level of macro is pretty unforgiving. I just kinda thought that for a watch at this price point there might be a bit more QC, or even polishing after the hand was stamped. I don't think I've ever really studied macro of Rolex dials / hands before.
    Jup, if we don't count the off the catalog gem set models, the QC is the same, weather you buy a Platona or Oyster Perpetual. Shame really, and when you consider the cost and what you might get for that Mayer .... yikes

Superb photos.

I like the colour combination - green and gold just seems to work well and not just on watches, for me at least.
    Not sure I would ever have a solid gold 'sports' watch 'cos I'm not rich enough to not care if it got messed up...I'm bad enough (over-cautious) with new stainless steel or titanium.

Master
    Wow! Super photos. Super watch although I'm not sure it's for me. I bet I'd smile if I got to try one on though.

Fantastic shots OP and a lovely watch, as a JM owner I honestly think it can be worn with anything.

I fully appreciate it's not my JM in the shot, but my equally (if not more so) "tacky and garish" YG Sub' wears just fine with my dog-walking wellies and shorts IMPO.

If anyone really wants a truly direct comparison I'll wear the JM at the weekend and take a similarly risqué naked-knee shot for them then.

Just wear your sodding watch with whatever you like, no??

Last edited by spuds; 9th January 2024 at 15:25.

Sorry, was trying to insert photo directly!!
    Last edited by spuds; 9th January 2024 at 15:25.

See above, was hardly worth the sodding effort really was it?!
    Last edited by spuds; 9th January 2024 at 15:26.

Super shots as usual

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post

That's a wristshot of the week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Superb photos.

I like the colour combination - green and gold just seems to work well and not just on watches, for me at least.
    Not sure I would ever have a solid gold 'sports' watch 'cos I'm not rich enough to not care if it got messed up...I'm bad enough (over-cautious) with new stainless steel or titanium.
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Wow! Super photos. Super watch although I'm not sure it's for me. I bet I'd smile if I got to try one on though.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Super shots as usual
    Thank you again lads, really appreciated!

Fantastic shots OP and a lovely watch, as a JM owner I honestly think it can be worn with anything.

I fully appreciate it's not my JM in the shot, but my equally (if not more so) "tacky and garish" YG Sub' wears just fine with my dog-walking wellies and shorts IMPO.

If anyone really wants a truly direct comparison I'll wear the JM at the weekend and take a similarly risqué naked-knee shot for them then.

Well said that man! Lovely pair you have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely, I'm sure that Ali G would think they look the business with his attire.

Seriously, I agree to an extent but if we all thought the same then there wouldn't be forum threads asking about sports watches, dress watches, everyday watches, holiday watches, beaters etc. and manufacturers wouldn't be promoting different styles to different audiences. No one could care a less what James Bond wore or what astronauts or mountaineers prefer either.

one things for sure, forget the YG Rolex, you'd never catch me wearing shorts while walking my dog. :-)

Master
    Going back to the original shots I think my favourite is with the leather jacket.
    I keep waiting for them to make a comeback so I can dig it out the wardrobe.
    Used to be a staple for the man about town.
    Now consigned to the scrap heap along with the "jean and hard shoe" from days of yore.