closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths Astral 9ct Gold? Thoughts please

Craftsman

Smiths Astral 9ct Gold? Thoughts please

Have been digging into this watch that came via a house clearance, no relatives to pass it to.

There's no hallmark but all googling of virtually identical watches all come up as 9ct.

It's not running but the dial and movement look to be in great condition.

Having started off completely ignorant having looked into it some more it's growing on me and I think well worth getting it back running. Certainly can't stomach the idea of it only being worth it's weight in gold and nothing more.

IMO these later Astral watches with Swiss movements are much less appealing than the “Made in England” ones. The movement is an FHF 96 I believe. It’s certainly a shame to melt it down, but I personally wouldn’t spend too much on getting it repaired if it needs work.

Master
    In case you haven’t seen it some more info here: https://www.smithswatches.com/collec...miths-astral-1

Master
    I have my grandfathers Smiths watch, in fact I am wearing it this week. I haven't seen this type before.
    I sent mine to Andy Rolllings and he serviced it and found a replacement stem and crown as mine was missing all for a very reasonable amount. It's been fine since. I swapped out the expanding bracelet as it looked a little fragile.
    Anyway worth getting it fixed I'd say even if the monetary value isn't great. Always a shame when a family's history gets detached from them.

Grand Master
    If the OP wants to get it running and fully sorted out I’m happy to get involved, PM me if interested.

Craftsman
    Thanks all for the info, much appreciated

Sent from my moto g73 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    In case you haven’t seen it some more info here: https://www.smithswatches.com/collec...miths-astral-1
    Those are the Cheltenham made watches; after 1971 Smiths stopped manufacturing in-house English movements and used Swiss ones instead

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Those are the Cheltenham made watches; after 1971 Smiths stopped manufacturing in-house English movements and used Swiss ones instead
    Good to know. Thanks.