closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Unwanted Christmas presents

Unwanted Christmas presents

I did OK this year. Obviously a few things to exchange for the right size and a couple of interesting interpretations of my Christmas list, but on the whole, pretty good.

I'm guessing some of you received some more 'left field' gifts though...?

A Lego car, jigsaw puzzle, and bottle of ghost chilli sauce.
    The first two will go to charity, though I am tempted by the third - remorse will swiftly follow

Craftsman
    Nothing I didn’t want. Same as last year and the year before.
    Too old for all this nonsense and disappointment.

If there is anything we want. We don’t bother dropping hints to the other half. We just buy it ourselves.

Craftsman
    All good for me for the last couple of years.

I have long said to my family that if I can't eat or drink or drink it I don't want it. Very occasionally I get something I don't like I take it to the food bank (in my case, I can't stand pate!).

Sorry, a bit of an OT rant but I really don't understand the concept of why grown adults buy each other Christmas presents.

I absolutely think gifts are fair enough for children, but when you are earning wages, have your own house, car etc, so why does my Mother in Law still insist on buying me a load of utter rubbish (cheap Haribo style sweets) and an incorrectly sized (always awful) jumper each year when she barely has two ££'s to rub together. I would much rather see her keep her money than waste it on buying tat for me, particularly when I know whatever she buys will be utterly awful/inedible/unusable anyway.

It all just seems so pointless, as any gifts given come with an unwritten moral obligation to 'return the favour' (whether that is the intention or not), so there is no net gain other than to the retailers. And every year we all have to do the performing monkey act of unwrapping all of this tat while pretending it is all marvellous. I have tried being honest and blunt about the pointlessness of the gifts, but still the relentless stream of crud keeps coming - along with a full on argument from her this year.

WTF am I missing, as I fail to see where there is any joy in this daft merry go round process.
    Why cant we just be happy with what we have and if we need something, just buy it when we want it.

Craftsman
    Presents : 0 received 2 given

Cards : 4 received 2 sent

Christmas is a big deal for children and Christians, which rules me out on both counts :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Sorry, a bit of an OT rant but I really don't understand the concept of why grown adults buy each other Christmas presents.

I absolutely think gifts are fair enough for children, but when you are earning wages, have your own house, car etc, so why does my Mother in Law still insist on buying me a load of utter rubbish (cheap Haribo style sweets) and an incorrectly sized (always awful) jumper each year when she barely has two ££'s to rub together. I would much rather see her keep her money than waste it on buying tat for me, particularly when I know whatever she buys will be utterly awful/inedible/unusable anyway.

It all just seems so pointless, as any gifts given come with an unwritten moral obligation to 'return the favour' (whether that is the intention or not), so there is no net gain other than to the retailers. And every year we all have to do the performing monkey act of unwrapping all of this tat while pretending it is all marvellous. I have tried being honest and blunt about the pointlessness of the gifts, but still the relentless stream of crud keeps coming - along with a full on argument from her this year.

WTF am I missing, as I fail to see where there is any joy in this daft merry go round process.
    Why cant we just be happy with what we have and if we need something, just buy it when we want it.
    Coming soon, The Muppet Maysie Carol

I thought I was a bit of a Grinch!

Getting crap is a bit of a pain, sure, but the idea (surely) is to show you've thought of someone at Christmas.

I didn't get anything very exciting or disappointing this year, but it was a very odd Christmas for us.

The kids, now grown, were elsewhere on Christmas Day, so we had it early, but then they were back on Boxing Day for what we call 'Tree Presents' (just little things).

Maybe you should consider a holiday next Christmas?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Coming soon, The Muppet Maysie Carol

I thought I was a bit of a Grinch!

Getting crap is a bit of a pain, sure, but the idea (surely) is to show you've thought of someone at Christmas.

I didn't get anything very exciting or disappointing this year, but it was a very odd Christmas for us.

The kids, now grown, were elsewhere on Christmas Day, so we had it early, but then they were back on Boxing Day for what we call 'Tree Presents' (just little things).

Maybe you should consider a holiday next Christmas?

M
    I think the part in bold is where I get completely lost.
    How on earth does buying someone a cheap and nasty gift which the recipient does not want, does not need and has absolutely no thought behind it at all express any positive feelings what so ever, particularly when I have actively asked to not receive any gifts? I am (ie my wife is) then obligated to go out and buy something for her, which I (neither my wife or I) frankly do not have time for either - just to add to the painfulness of the whole experience.

I realise I sound like a Grinch, which is hard to avoid doing, but my logical brain just doesn't get it at all. I think we should just be happy to enjoy each others company with some nice wine/food and have a nice time without the daft present swapping falseness.

EDIT: I will drop it now, as I am derailing an otherwise pleasant thread with my bitterness!
    Last edited by Maysie; 4th January 2024 at 17:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Nothing I didn’t want. Same as last year and the year before.
    Too old for all this nonsense and disappointment.

If there is anything we want. We don’t bother dropping hints to the other half. We just buy it ourselves.
    Ah, the “magic” of Christmas!

😁
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

Hear, hear!

I'm neither a child nor religious so why would I immerse myself in a zombie-apocalypse of consumerism to celebrate the highly-improbable birth of an imaginary deity's son who isn't actually his son but is in fact himself, and which if it did happen (which it didn't because the whole fairytale was dreamed-up by a married woman who was somehow inexplicably still a virgin and got herself knocked-up by someone who wasn't hubby...) then it didn't happen on that date anyway...

'sake! Apart from anything else it's too damned CONFUSING to have any part of!!!

...And, FWLIW, I still can't get used to grown adults playing with Lego - when I was younger that would have been a sure sign of a nervous breakdown underway!

'sake! Now I sound like Mickpee - somebody shoot me!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought Mrs T-7 exactly what she asked for, & she still sent it back. It's a family tradition :-/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Grand children get money,adults don’t bother with exchanging gifts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I bought Mrs T-7 exactly what she asked for, & she still sent it back. It's a family tradition :-/
    I sent a link to a navy cashmere beanie to my mum, to complement the dark grey one I already have.

Somehow she decided to go in store and buy me the exact grey one I owned already & ignored the navy aspect of it.

Went in and exchanged it, came home to then find JL have changed the spec of it and it’s too big, so need to go back into town at the weekend to take it back.

I’d she had ordered it online, like she’s capable of, then I could have returned / exchanged via the Waitrose 2 miles away.

I'm surprised a grown man admitted to having a Christmas list

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Hear, hear!

I'm neither a child nor religious so why would I immerse myself in a zombie-apocalypse of consumerism to celebrate the highly-improbable birth of an imaginary deity's son who isn't actually his son but is in fact himself, and which if it did happen (which it didn't because the whole fairytale was dreamed-up by a married woman who was somehow inexplicably still a virgin and got herself knocked-up by someone who wasn't hubby...) then it didn't happen on that date anyway...

'sake! Apart from anything else it's too damned CONFUSING to have any part of!!!

...And, FWLIW, I still can't get used to grown adults playing with Lego - when I was younger that would have been a sure sign of a nervous breakdown underway!

I never knew.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm surprised a grown man admitted to having a Christmas list
    Am not, my wife’s family are all from Essex and for the 20 odd years we’ve been a couple all her family have made a Christmas list. They think I’m a miserable bugger when I tell them I stopped making one when I was 10.
    Must be an English thing!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My 21 year old daughter's Christmas list was like the battle plan for World War III.....& my 15 year old son's was an extension of my daughter's....she must have had an input there :-/

Nah it'll be the sales next week for me and mrs P, same as last year, did well then...oh though I did commit to paying for a Yoga bowl session for her this mont...and I NEED a new pair of trail runners come what may.

Master
    Hear, hear!

Agree with this
    Different strokes I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Presents : 0 received 2 given

Cards : 4 received 2 sent

Christmas is a big deal for children and Christians, which rules me out on both counts :-)

I wonder what the carbon footprint of Christmas cards and wrapping paper is? This is somewhere all of us could make a difference!

Haha - for clarity, I didn't want or ask for the Lego car and thought at first I had opened a gift intended for a child. It's going to charity sealed BNIB

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I wonder what the carbon footprint of Christmas cards and wrapping paper is? This is somewhere all of us could make a difference!
    I use old magazines to wrap presents (not gentleman magazines) and the cards are always 100% recycled paper from a charity.

That said, I only sent 5 cards and wrapped about 8 presents, so hardly a rainforest the size of Wales.

Ha! Got my brother a TZUK hat-trick......a G-shock, a SAK and one of those programmable torches. Back of the net!

He got me a Leatherman, so 1-1.

Both well pleased!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Haha - for clarity, I didn't want or ask for the Lego car and thought at first I had opened a gift intended for a child. It's going to charity sealed BNIB

FWIW, I didn't mean to target you in particular with that comment. Plenty of my friends spend dizzying amounts on the stuff - and I do kind of get it: I adored it when I was a kid, one of the best toys ever, full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I never knew.
    Sorry, but there may be more bad news...

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    A genuine "Laugh Out Loud" moment. Superb !

Thanks for starting my day off with a good chuckle :-)

Not a million miles away that, from our kid´s preferred personal vision-version..., he´s obsessed with who´d win the fight, Santa Vs the Grinch...the big man obvs!