closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New BMW Car buying advice needed

Master

New BMW Car buying advice needed

Hi chaps,

I'm in the process of acquiring a car and Ive decided to go the route of a new car, a BMW M3 Touring. I have never bought a brand new car before so if anyone has any advice they can throw my way, that would be helpful. Im based in London:

- I went on the BMW Website and you can search the inventory of new cars, generally speaking should you go to your "nearest" dealer?
    - Why are prices fairly different across the board? For example a car with the same spec can cost X but the same car at some other dealer is X +-10%? Unlike watches with MSRPs, I guess dealers are listing with some discount on it??
    - If I were to buy a car at a fairly distant dealer, for service, I can just take it to my local BMW?

If anyone has any solid BMW contact near and around London, please PM me, that would be appreciated.

thank you
    Last edited by kaiserphoenix; 4th January 2024 at 13:17.

Master
    I buy from whoever could get me the best price / cost to change cars. I would use the local dealer for servicing.

For me part of the fun of a new car is deciding the options you want vs the ones the dealer has chosen. That way it truly becomes your own car.

Think you are correct on dealers discounting, assuming the rest of the spec is identical. Perhaps they’ve had it on the books too long & need to keep the merry go round of stock going to keep their discounted rates on cars and need the sale.

Nice car choice by the way, the touring version has been missing forever.

They are car dealers, what would you expect, seriously though if you know exactly what car and options you are after Car wow might be the way forward.

Master
    Thank you lads. The only reason why Im going new this time as the used prices are not that attractive at all and not many around, might as well get one in stock as I do need the car fairly soonish. Unlike a Porsche, the BMWs dont have TOO many options anyway and I know the ones I need. Some dealers offer a "delivery" service, I guess that means the car comes in one of those trailer things to a location of your choosing i suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    - Why are prices fairly different across the board? For example a car with the same spec can cost X but the same car at some other dealer is X +-10%? Unlike watches with MSRPs, I guess dealers are listing with some discount on it??
    Dealers are franchises and they can set their offers. They will use BMW Finance which is a set rate and BMW may offer a contribution, but the franchise may also offer a contribution so prices will vary between dealers. Most Franchises have multiple showrooms, for example my BMW dealer is operated by Vertu who run 240 dealers, they'll order a certain amount of cars from BMW for their stock, and as demonstrator cars and they'll sell you any car within their group's stock.

If you're not trying to build a "relationship" with the dealer, which for BMW, you're unlikely to, then go with what's cheapest or the quickest turn around.
    You can brig to any BMW for service - not a problem!

Car wow, drive the deal (might not have BMW now) give them a spin, even just for a benchmark

Also a BMW forum will give you loads of intel of the dealers that offer a good price and a good service as opposed to the wallies.

May come on a transporter, possibly they drive it to you

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post
    If you're not trying to build a "relationship" with the dealer, which for BMW, you're unlikely to, then go with what's cheapest or the quickest turn around.
    You can brig to any BMW for service - not a problem!
    Yes, unlike a Porsche, i assumed with a BMW, theres probably no real incentive to "build a purchase history" like with Rolex or Patek haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Car wow, drive the deal (might not have BMW now) give them a spin, even just for a benchmark

Also a BMW forum will give you loads of intel of the dealers that offer a good price and a good service as opposed to the wallies.

May come on a transporter, possibly they drive it to you

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Thank you, I looked for a forum, though I rather not have to participate in another forum as I dun really intend to become a car enthusiast, a quick search showed bimmer, pistonheads etc any idea which is the best BMW forum in the UK?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Dealers are franchises and they can set their offers. They will use BMW Finance which is a set rate and BMW may offer a contribution, but the franchise may also offer a contribution so prices will vary between dealers. Most Franchises have multiple showrooms, for example my BMW dealer is operated by Vertu who run 240 dealers, they'll order a certain amount of cars from BMW for their stock, and as demonstrator cars and they'll sell you any car within their group's stock.
    Understood. Thank you

Master
    I'd seek the lowest online prices as suggested then see whether any of the dealers could offer better for an overall package of purchase cost, extras, finance and future servicing costs.
    They expect you to do your research and seek to negotiate, the key is recognising a good deal when it's offered.

Master
    go on M3 cutters forum and there will be price/discount threads

Master
    Blog Entries
    As suggested, it's worth putting what you want on carwow and waiting for dealers to put their offers forward (no cost or obligation)

If you go to the babybmw forum they have a dealer section and they often have offers or you can message them for prices.

Master
    An M3 touring would be epic!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    go on M3 cutters forum and there will be price/discount threads
    Great shout, always forget that place as seemed to be the weirdest car forum I’ve ever joined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New BMW Car buying advice needed

I’m on my second new BMW in a row.

First one a 4 series convertible I used carwow as a benchmark for pricing and discount. Then looked on autotrader at available stock and prices. Once I’d found the car I wanted I rang them and made them an offer based on the information I’d obtained on line. They matched the highest discount figure and delivered the car to my house. All done over the phone.

Second one a Z4 M40 which I currently still have the same dealer approached me at the two year mark asking if I wanted to change. I went through the same process above and agreed a deal on a build slot. Had to wait four months.

Mark James at Synter Cardiff if you’re interested. Nothing was too much trouble. I would buy from him again if the numbers work.

Quick look on autotrader shows 70 estates available with the highest discount I can see of £11.5k. Pick the spec you want phone them and see what they say.

With 70 available someone especially at the moment will want to do a deal and get it off their books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyp1973; 4th January 2024 at 21:16.

Master
    My friend has one and I've driven it, it's a proper machine! Get one if you can, my car allowance unfortunately does not cover one. ;)

Negotiate hard on a deal. The Touring was selling over list for a short time and dealers were ordering cars on spec expecting higher demand than what eventuated. Agree with others who said to have a read over at M3Cutters, loads of knowledge there and plenty of discussion on the Touring.

I'm sure it's standard on the M Performance models but if it isn't, make sure you select the adaptive suspension option. The standard M Sport suspension is ludicrously harsh.

Master
    Wow thank you for all the replies!!! REally appreciate the contributions to the thread. Going to look at the forums, Ive already made a request on car wow and getting quotes of around 7-10K below list which is encouraging. Thank you all!

you should be chasing 12-15%, deals are coming now as the car market has stalled.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I'm sure it's standard on the M Performance models but if it isn't, make sure you select the adaptive suspension option. The standard M Sport suspension is ludicrously harsh.
    It is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    An M3 touring would be epic!
    Just been playing with the configurator. What a fantastic car (mine came out at £70k without the daft engine upgrade).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th January 2024 at 13:46.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I have the adaptive dampers on my car it’s a must have.

Master
    If you buy brand new, spec the ultimate pack.

Master
    Spec it up, get the best price then go and ask Park Lane if they will match it. A sale is a sale to them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Yes, unlike a Porsche, i assumed with a BMW, theres probably no real incentive to "build a purchase history" like with Rolex or Patek haha

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I looked for a forum, though I rather not have to participate in another forum as I dun really intend to become a car enthusiast, a quick search showed bimmer, pistonheads etc any idea which is the best BMW forum in the UK?
    M3cutters

Master
    Just booked my M2 in for major service
    With 20% discount as it's now 3 years old the quote is £1104
    2 new rear tyres in Nov £500
    Extended warranty £1000
    Not to mention insurance and tax.
    I hate cars.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Just booked my M2 in for major service
    With 20% discount as it's now 3 years old the quote is £1104
    2 new rear tyres in Nov £500
    Extended warranty £1000
    Not to mention insurance and tax.
    I hate cars.
    You get to smile while you drive it, the cost just fade’s away.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As said car wow etc, TRL always used to get great reviews for good BMW deals

I don’t know prices, specs etc but consider the M3 Alpina touring, just for the lovely wheels, dark green paint with tan leather.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I don’t know prices, specs etc but consider the M3 Alpina touring, just for the lovely wheels, dark green paint with tan leather.
    Classy choice that.

Master
    I have bought a couple of new BMWs, the last one being an X7 which was a couple of years ago and available new and in stock. Talked to dealers all around the UK who were very good after looking at the website and seeing what was available. Was also looking at an 8 series and had the same experience. You can potentially get additional discounts when talking to dealers and refer to others in the network.