closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smaller tuners

Smaller tuners

Righto, an unduly specific query probably best asked in some other type of forum, but I know TZers love a bit of Hi-Fi so hoping someone can assist.

I’m looking for an FM tuner to sit atop my Quad Vena amp, so ideally approximating the amp’s width (301mm) and colour (dark grey).

I’m aware of the Meridian 504 and Linn Pekin… anything else out there? Particularly with less sterile tuning displays?

Any thoughts very gratefully, ahem, received!

Was going to make some suggestions, but being UK based. Suggested US/Canadian brands and probably not compatible with UK wattage or plugs

Maybe check out vintage tuners. Old high end going for cheap now

Bel Canto, Musical Fidelity and Cyrus have all made half-width/shoebox sized FM tuners over the years - not sure any are still in production, but there's not much to go wrong with a tuner, so a used buy from ebay should be both cheap and reliable.

TEAC also make (or more probably, made) a multiband compact tuner which included DAB - I know DAB doesn't get much love, but there's a number of worthwhile channels that are available nowhere else, and SQ is better than its popular image portrays, especially if you have a high-end DAC to which a digital feed can be conveyed.

What about the Quad Tuner FM4 ?

a la: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196134728...EaAkryEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Yep I do like the FM4, great shout except I’m too fussy so am looking at something else as most of them were in a different colour from the current Venas, and also the display is somewhat frigid (I’m ideally looking to replicate a nice analogue display, or at the least get the sense of tuned-in station that Marantz/Denon seemed to implement inexplicably well on their (resolutely full-size) digital tuners…

FM3 is prolly out on account of output sensitivity, but I have half a mind to try bunging Marantz gizzards into an FM2 🫢

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Bel Canto, Musical Fidelity and Cyrus have all made half-width/shoebox sized FM tuners over the years - not sure any are still in production, but there's not much to go wrong with a tuner, so a used buy from ebay should be both cheap and reliable.

TEAC also make (or more probably, made) a multiband compact tuner which included DAB - I know DAB doesn't get much love, but there's a number of worthwhile channels that are available nowhere else, and SQ is better than its popular image portrays, especially if you have a high-end DAC to which a digital feed can be conveyed.
    Ah, very glad to see a response from you Sodders, thank you. Both Bel Canto & Musical Fidelity are news to me, so l'll get investigating.
    I agree on the inherent robustness too!

pro-ject also do a micro tuner (models S2+3)

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

^^^ can't think of anything better, they did it in a grey finish.

Found this, but I think your going to have a problem finding a matching gray finish. Majority either silver or black

Small and cool looking, but not sure what analogue you want.

Sansui TU-666

DON

Master
    Our tuner is not overly tall, would you like his details? He is excellent with all things piano!

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Found this, but I think your going to have a problem finding a matching gray finish. Majority either silver or black

Small and cool looking, but not sure what analogue you want.

Sansui TU-666

DON
    That looks great. I have a Sansui TA300 receiver which sounds ace, so this would be strong on the shortlist 👍👍

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Our tuner is not overly tall, would you like his details? He is excellent with all things piano!
    How wide is he though?