closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Explorer 214270 39mm - going price?

Journeyman

Rolex Explorer 214270 39mm - going price?

Hi All,

Can I please tap into your guys knowledge…..

What do you reckon is the going rate for a 214270 39mm explorer? Full set from 2015. Recent Rolex service done in last 12 months.

£5.5/6k?

Thanks in advance
    Mike

Master
    I've just reduced TWO of these to £5,999.

Private seller would typically need to ask less.

H

Personally I´d be comfortable paying around 5k...but I´m not in Blighty now for a while.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I've just reduced TWO of these to £5,999.

Private seller would typically need to ask less.

H
    Crikey cheers for the heads-up. The market is definitely changing!

Grand Master
    £5k now

£4.5k Easter
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    £5k now

£4.5k Easter
    Times they are a changin´.

But you can´t tell people.

I sold mine in June 2013 just back from Rolex service never worn complete set £6100. Was a bubble everyone rolled with, I remember Rolex in sales getting snapped up minutes, now they sit there
    It won't just stop at this, be houses and cars next......
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

Sent from my SM-A245F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by bokbok; 3rd January 2024 at 14:30.

Worth noting there is a price difference between MK1 and MK2.

I’ve had two of the MK2 But wouldn’t consider a MK1.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    I sold mine in June 2013 just back from Rolex service never worn complete set £6100. Was a bubble everyone rolled with, I remember Rolex in sales getting snapped up minutes, now they sit there

2013 ?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post

Cars have been on the flick forever. Every nobody wanting to be somebody by renting.

Houses!!! - https://news.sky.com/story/lenders-c...weeks-13041303
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 3rd January 2024 at 15:16.
    RIAC

Master
    The new 40mm version definitely impacted on the used 39mm values, which were already declining in line with the overall market.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Cars have been on the flick forever. Every nobody wanting to be somebody by renting.

Houses!!! - https://news.sky.com/story/lenders-c...weeks-13041303
    Assuming you mean PCPs
    They're a bit dead in the water for expensive cars these days due to the interest rates.
    Previously nothing wrong with them as for say £500 pm you could have a really nice car.
    Probably about a grand for the same thing now .

Blog Entries

Bad news for the safe queen flippers, good news for people who actually buy to wear.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Sorry meant to say sold in June 2023 a 2013 fullset with Rolex service but still think I am in 2023 hence sold in June 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    2013 ?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Worth noting there is a price difference between MK1 and MK2.

I’ve had two of the MK2 But wouldn’t consider a MK1.
    Agreed. I think a 2015 MkI with the littler hands and shinier 3/6/9 might fall further faster.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Agreed. I think a 2015 MkI with the littler hands and shinier 3/6/9 might fall further faster.
    Reflects my thinking, the lack of lume, pretty discordant imho with the whole aesthetic as narrated/marketed/positioned and the T Rex hands.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th January 2024 at 08:09.

I have to say that the Explorer is looking like something of a bargain in the used market right now. The Mk II is definitely the better of the 39mm options, but the new 40mm would be quite a temptation if I were looking now.

Otherwise, we all know that 36mm is the classic size, of course.

Grand Master
    Don't fall into the classic Black Friday marketing. Nothing is a bargain everything has been over inflated now it's normal prices with more to go as economy and trend goes.
    RIAC

Don't fall into the classic Black Friday marketing. Nothing is a bargain everything has been over inflated now it's normal prices with more to go as economy and trend goes.
    Indeed...all the risk at present is with the buyer, it's going to be a keeper, really the only reason to buy a watch, they're not investment grade assets in the traditional sense, not for my money at least, though Rolex, Patek are pushing the message... Then what are you willing to spend/live with having spent to acquire it, supposing the market continues to soften, which is the most likely outcome in the short, maybe mid term.

1000% I agree and do people really care Mk1 or MK2 explorer cause the hands bigger worth more money

Craftsman
    Never really understood why a new Rolex doesn't instantly devalue by 20% from the list price as soon as it leaves the AD, in the same way that a car's value loses the VAT on it as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.

This whole grey market situation of prices way over list being driven by hype and perceived scarcity just never made any sense to me.

My logic would say that the current Explorer 40mm list price is £6,650, so less 20% leaves you at about £5,320 just for starters, with possibly further deductions for the fact that it is no longer new, probably got some wear and tear, likely in need of a service if 5+ years old, etc etc. and that's before you get into a debate about which models are more vs less desirable.

I'm quite sure that current owners of these things would have a different perspective, but I think anyone wishing to sell Rolex right now is probably going to have to accept a new reality that their watch isn't worth anywhere near what they think it is.
    Last edited by 459GMB; 4th January 2024 at 10:48.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Never really understood why a new Rolex doesn't instantly devalue by 20% from the list price as soon as it leaves the AD, in the same way that a car's value loses the VAT on it as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.

This whole grey market situation of prices way over list being driven by hype and perceived scarcity just never made any sense to me.

My logic would say that the current Explorer 40mm list price is £6,650, so less 20% leaves you at about £5,320 just for starters, with possibly further deductions for the fact that it is no longer new, probably got some wear and tear, likely in need of a service if 5+ years old, etc etc. and that's before you get into a debate about which models are more vs less desirable.

I'm quite sure that current owners of these things would have a different perspective, but I think anyone wishing to sell Rolex right now is probably going to have to accept a new reality that their watch isn't worth anywhere near what they think it is.
    All logical, sense but you try explaining this to people, you'll probably be 'vilified' as a low baller, despite doing them the courtesy of a PM .

Sigh.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th January 2024 at 11:00.

Craftsman
    All logical, sense but you try explaining this to people, you'll probably be 'vilified' as a low baller, despite doing them the courtesy of a PM .

Sigh.
    Haha, yes I did have a good chuckle at that thread before it disappeared.

I remember thinking that a change of username to "Lowballer" would be quite amusing, or, aping the Purple Dwarf, "The Lowballer Formerly Known As Passenger" also has a nice ring to it. TLFKAP for short :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Haha, yes I did have a good chuckle at that thread before it disappeared.

I remember thinking that a change of username to "Lowballer" would be quite amusing, or, aping the Purple Dwarf, "The Lowballer Formerly Known As Passenger" also has a nice ring to it. TLFKAP for short :-)
    HAHA like that, bit of a prince fan too... TLFKAP...´´More sinned against than sinning´´

At least it generated a few chuckles.

Sigh.
    There’s no logic to it at all. If everybody could walk into a shop and buy one then the value would drop. They can’t so people will pay a premium to jump the queue. Market value doesn’t necessarily have to be less than the retail price.

As regards to VAT, that’s totally irrelevant; if you are not VAT registered AND able to claim the VAT back for some reason, then you are paying £6000 (for example) for a watch. It doesn’t matter that it’s £5000 plus VAT, the end user is still buying a £6000 watch.

Cars don’t drop in value when they leave the forecourt because of VAT, they do so because they are no longer considered a new car.

The value of Rolex watches is dropping because the demand is dropping, no other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There’s no logic to it at all. If everybody could walk into a shop and buy one then the value would drop. They can’t so people will pay a premium to jump the queue. Market value doesn’t necessarily have to be less than the retail price.

As regards to VAT, that’s totally irrelevant; if you are not VAT registered AND able to claim the VAT back for some reason, then you are paying £6000 (for example) for a watch. It doesn’t matter that it’s £5000 plus VAT, the end user is still buying a £6000 watch.

Cars don’t drop in value when they leave the forecourt because of VAT, they do so because they are no longer considered a new car.

The value of Rolex watches is dropping because the demand is dropping, no other reason.
    Quite right, no logic at all.

I offered the seller a touch more than it owed him, honest money on the barrel in the teeth of a softening market, still not even the courtesy of a reply ...´´you can take an equine to agua etc´´.

Oh dear never mind.

TLFKAP.

Quite right, no logic at all.

I offered the seller a touch more than it owed him, honest money on the barrel in the teeth of a softening market, still not even the courtesy of a reply ...´´you can take an equine to agua etc´´.

Oh dear never mind.

TLFKAP.
    I wasn’t actually referring to your somewhat cheeky offer, I’d almost forgotten about that.

My comment was referring to the idea that a new item should suddenly become worth 20% less due to VAT.

I wasn’t actually referring to your somewhat cheeky offer, I’d almost forgotten about that.

My comment was referring to the idea that a new item should suddenly become worth 20% less due to VAT.
    I'd never actually considered the VAT angle/ argument...the point you made...it's no longer new car once off the forecourts'...pretty solid to my mind.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th January 2024 at 14:22.

LOLZ. Not exactly something to wear with pride, despite subsequent posts. Always helpful when such things are outed, though.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    LOLZ. Not exactly something to wear with pride, despite subsequent posts. Always helpful when such things are outed, though.
    pfffft whadda you know, least my watches fit me ...relax just joshing.

Not like I'm exactly active on SC or ever wannabe...nothing wrong with trying to find- make the market or honest money come to that.

TLFKAP.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th January 2024 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Otherwise, we all know that 36mm is the classic size, of course.
    Agree. I feel like I have discovered a new world with my 36mm Explorer this year

Reflects my thinking, the lack of lume, pretty discordant imho with the whole aesthetic as narrated/marketed/positioned and the T Rex hands.
    Just stepping in to defend the mk1; some people will pay more for the mk2 but the smaller hands have never been an issue for me and I like the subtleness of the non lumed numbers. Same movement, same bracelet, probably get a good deal (compare to mk2) on one as theyre always seen as the poor cousin of the Explorer world.

pfffft whadda you know, least my watches fit me ...relax just joshing.

Not like I'm exactly active on SC or ever wannabe...nothing wrong with trying to find- make the market or honest money come to that.

TLFKAP.
    GFY

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Just stepping in to defend the mk1; some people will pay more for the mk2 but the smaller hands have never been an issue for me and I like the subtleness of the non lumed numbers. Same movement, same bracelet, probably get a good deal (compare to mk2) on one as theyre always seen as the poor cousin of the Explorer world.
    Fair do´s it´s very much in the eye of the beholder, just should have lume on the numbers to my mind.

Grand Master
    Not like I'm exactly active on SC or ever wannabe...nothing wrong with trying to find- make the market
    TLFKAP.
    I like that....a euphemism for low-balling! Maybe the low-ball offer was simply 12 months too early?

Market for all things Rolex seems to be changing, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I like that....a euphemism for low-balling! Maybe the low-ball offer was simply 12 months too early?

Market for all things Rolex seems to be changing, that's for sure.
    More like IF ANYTHING a whole ooh 30 days too early in fairness, my second offer was 5k, pretty much bang on currently, I reckon.

For reference it was post of yours big man, describing how the market exists when buyers and sellers meet to determine market value, that I guess influenced me...yea gods! whatever next!

TLFKAP.
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th January 2024 at 14:44.

Craftsman
    For pricing guides and trends I have found https://watchcharts.com/ quite informative.

https://watchcharts.com/watch_model/...14270/overview

Market Price

Our pre-owned price estimate

£5,796
    updated 2024-01-02
    Last edited by nitram; 5th January 2024 at 14:48.

Master
    More like IF ANYTHING a whole ooh 30 days too early in fairness, my second offer was 5k, pretty much bang on currently, I reckon.

For reference it was post of yours big man, describing how the market exists when buyers and sellers meet to determine market value, that I guess influenced me...yea gods! whatever next!

TLFKAP.
    Don't forget you were relieving the poor guy from the angst of having future servicing done on it too P
    Not all heroes wear capes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Don't forget you were relieving the poor guy from the angst of having future servicing done on it too P
    Not all heroes wear capes.
    S´right H...trying to do the poor guy a solid as I was gonna be FLYING in to GB seeing the oldies. iirc he´d bought one of each both a 36 mm and 39 mm, neither of which I think he wrote, really fit him great, from memory.

TLFKAP.
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th January 2024 at 14:58.

as i understand it, a higher rate taxpayer who sells on the bay would now have to pay 40% tax on total sale, is that right? could have a genuine impact on the market as well...

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    as i understand it, a higher rate taxpayer who sells on the bay would now have to pay 40% tax on total sale, is that right? could have a genuine impact on the market as well...
    No, he would pay tax on any profit, not turnover.

ah right i see thanks. so keep a record of those purchase prices!

Master
    Surely an individual selling one watch, even if he realises a profit on it, is liquidating what is classed as a wasting asset and as such one that attracts no tax liability?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Surely an individual selling one watch, even if he realises a profit on it, is liquidating what is classed as a wasting asset and as such one that attracts no tax liability?
    That's correct. It would need to be considered as trading income.