closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Scones. Clotted cream, jam... which order?

Blog Entries

Scones. Clotted cream, jam... which order?

Back in 2018, my oldest and I went to Plymouth for the UK Open Laser Sailing. I posted my experiences and stories about Devon during that trip. One of the items I mentioned were... scones. Within a few steps, there was a good-natured discussion about 'scones, clotted cream and jam; which order?' I think it ended with the conclusion that it was undecided.

Just for the fun: I bought all the ingredients for DIY scones-baking (a birthday in the family household). It's pretty early while writing this (5:18 am local time). The idea is to bake the scones and hopefully I have an answer about the 'how-to' order by the time we're ready to eat them, somewhere later today.

Can't help but think you've opened Pandora's Box now!

For what its worth, I'm a scone > cream > jam man myself. Apparently there is a north/south divide theory, but my reasons are purely aesthetic. Cream on top of jam just seems wrong.

Master
    I’m also in the scone > cream > jam camp. I think it’s far easier to spread the cream on the rough surface of the cut scone. Trying to spread cream on jam it just slides all over the place making a right old mess.

Grand Master
    Which order does it exit the body in!
    RIAC

Craftsman
    I am also scone, cream and jam.
    I remember in Cornwall someone telling me that the correct Cornish way was the cream on top of the jam and the reason that they do it the other way round in Devon is because they are embarrassed of their clotted cream!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    I’m also in the scone > cream > jam camp. I think it’s far easier to spread the cream on the rough surface of the cut scone. Trying to spread cream on jam it just slides all over the place making a right old mess.
    I have the same method for the same reason

There's already a thread on this, here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...or-Cream-First

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Honestly, I didn’t think about that at 5am, with a head ‘full of cotton’, dragging myself to the kitchen. As said, I did remember the 2018 thread with a similar content as soon as I wrote down ‘Devon’ and ‘scones’.

Blog Entries
    Well, I can’t remember the outcome back then. I do remember that it was the hot 2018 summer and that Devon was wonderful - with very tasty scones! So I must have done what you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Honestly, I didn’t think about that at 5am, with a head ‘full of cotton’, dragging myself to the kitchen. As said, I did remember the 2018 thread with a similar content as soon as I wrote down ‘Devon’ and ‘scones’.
    Plenty of views for you to peruse there. You can see that it was close run thing but most chose jam first.

It's not the way that I voted, however I must accept the majority decision and Get Breadxit Done.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Somehow I accidentally deleted my post.

I wanted to edit it to say: Put it in whatever order you prefer. Only idiots care enough to tell other people what they should do.

Your not bored with retirement already?

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Somehow I accidentally deleted my post.

I wanted to edit it to say: Put it in whatever order you prefer. Only idiots care enough to tell other people what they should do.
    Quite, more needy nonsense.

This thread needs pictures.

The fat in the cream stops the jam juice soaking into the scone.

Same reason sandwiches need butter.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Eh? Scone, Jam, cream as Jam is heavier than cream surely?? And you have a little butter first to stop any jam based soakage? And then there’s the pronunciation of scone to discuss?!?

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post

Fair point though I can see a sarnie being pre made and stored in a snap tin- lunch box until eaten thus necessitating the butter- spread to prevent the órrible soggy sarnie...but surely the scone is a treat best dressed and consumed upon the instant, the jam hasn´t time to really over moisten the scone, has it? There can be no right answer...

Not serious?
    This spoiled the enjoyment of thousands who had booked tickets for the Devon & Cornwall Retro Rock Festival, which was cancelled at the last moment.
    The organisers couldn't agree on who went on first - The Jam or Cream.

Scone, Jam and cream for me.

Scone, then coronation chicken and rocket.

For me it's all about the density of the components. For this reason I always sided with our friends in Cornwall. The scone is the solid base followed by the Jam. The cream then slides over and sticks to the more dense part as you spread it with the knife. The last cream tea I had in the lake district made me think again. The clotted cream was so thick, it was far more solid than the jam, so I switched to Devon. I'm now prepared to be flexible from here on.

Cream
    Jam
    Butter
    Scone

for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you think you have made a mistake, just eat it upside down. Another question is strawberry (traditional) or raspberry (modernist)

Master
    Warm, fresh scone and as much clotted cream and any jam as possible. I'll eat while others fanny about with this first or last.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Cream
    Jam
    Butter
    Scone

for me.
    Absolutely
    Butter to stop absorption, jam (strawberry) then clotted cream dolloped, not spread, on top.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Eh? Scone, Jam, cream as Jam is heavier than cream surely?? And you have a little butter first to stop any jam based soakage? And then there’s the pronunciation of scone to discuss?!?
    Being more practical minded I agree.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Devon and Cornwall each has a way they do it,I have seen locals get upset when you do it the wrong way (according to them).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No arguments, here is the answer. (Homemade scones by me)

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Cream, then jam and homemade scones are absolutely the best way to do it - well worth the extra effort, the pre packaged ones in the supermarkets aren't a patch on those straight out of the kitchen oven.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Not serious?
    This spoiled the enjoyment of thousands who had booked tickets for the Devon & Cornwall Retro Rock Festival, which was cancelled at the last moment.
    The organisers couldn't agree on who went on first - The Jam or Cream.
    Ha ha, quality Uncle!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post

Best I could do with some rather unwieldy scones in Lyme Regis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Best I could do with some rather unwieldy scones in Lyme Regis.

Tasty.
    I guess one of the considerations as to the order of toppings might be which is most acceptable in the tache.

Seeing those scones with jam on top explains a lot, and although they do look good… I don’t like huge amounts of jam on my scones, but I do however like huge amounts of cream. So, butter, jam spread lightly on the scone, and then the most amount of cream possible on top is the solution for me :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I cut in half, put jam on one side and cream on the other, then put back together.

Master

Butter, then jam, then cream and then cream. lol

On match day at Bowls the secretary supplies home made scones, jam and cream all I do then is a spoon full of jam and a spoonful of cream side by side on the scone and just mix them together, her scones are really nice.

Blog Entries
    Things went different yesterday. After my early rise, only minutes after I'd posted my initial question, my wife got a phone call telling that a near relative is suffering from pneumonia in a bad way and that things do not look good. We were urged to come over. We did. The forecast is that it will end sad within a few days or perhaps a week. So much for a birthday... That left the scones on the table, so to speak. We ate them in the afternoon, but they were less tasty than we'd hoped.

There will be another moment for a re-run. Including my decisions jam/cream, cream/jam after reading all this.

Things went different yesterday. After my early rise, only minutes after I'd posted my initial question, my wife got a phone call telling that a near relative is suffering from pneumonia in a bad way and that things do not look good. We were urged to come over. We did. The forecast is that it will end sad within a few days or perhaps a week. So much for a birthday... That left the scones on the table, so to speak. We ate them in the afternoon, but they were less tasty than we'd hoped.

There will be another moment for a re-run. Including my decisions jam/cream, cream/jam after reading all this.
    Very sorry to hear this.

However you prefer it.

No different to how you like your steak really; blue, rare, medium or well done (order the chicken you steak hating toe-rag)

So sorry to hear this Menno.

Best wishes to you and your wife from me and the Mrs.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    FWIF....jam then cream....as long as the scones haven't got any dried fruit in them.

Master
    I cut mine in half, one gets butter, jam then cream, the other? butter cream and jam dolloped on top, that way I’m covered.

Master
    Scone - > jam - > cream. The Cornish, and therefore the correct, way. All else is savagery.