timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance Shock!

I'd take the dosh and buy one from an online breaker
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'd take the dosh and buy one from an online breaker
    I did mention this to him but it's a hassle he doesn't need.

It's this kind of thing that makes a mockery of the premiums we're all forced to pay. If I pay a company £500 a year for a service I'll probably only use once every 10 years, I want that service to do what it says on the expensive tin.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    For the first time ever I cant get what a I regard as a reasonable quote.

Not only has the price gone up so has the excess, with a £400 excess and £500 damage you wont call them and they know it.

The excess is even more if you dont use their repairer.

They also seem to be loading +£200 for a year old SP30 which didnt used to effect policys.

Direct line are sending me £25 though for poor service answering the phones and that.
    SP30s have always had an impact on premiums. I believe it’s a fixed percentage (perhaps 10%).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    SP30s have always had an impact on premiums. I believe it’s a fixed percentage (perhaps 10%).
    Not sure if it's a fixed increase Tony but it defo has always attracted an increase in premium.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My bike insurance said it didnt matter they expected everyone to get 3 points at some time.

Though I expect I will pay more next renewal time.

Craftsman
    My insurance has more than doubled for a 440. It’s gone from £450 last year to £912 this year despite using every comparison website available. Directline wanted £2500. No reason for such a hike as moving or a ban. Just eye watering with everything else going up too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    My bike insurance said it didnt matter they expected everyone to get 3 points at some time.

Though I expect I will pay more next renewal time.
    Did you not get offered a speed awareness course?

I'm guessing, but don't know, that as a lot of speeding offences do result in an offer, if you actually get an SP30 it is now considered worse than pre speed awareness days.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

I'm guessing, but don't know, that as a lot of speeding offences do result in an offer, if you actually get an SP30 it is now considered worse than pre speed awareness days.
    Correct - if it's a first offence or (I think 3 years) a while from the last you get offered an awareness course. There has never been a situation where an SP30 is accepted as a given.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

No, or I would have taken it.

It was hard to even pay the fine or talk to anyone about it.

I once reported a speed camera van driver for speeding,I was doing 30 in a 30 and he was catching me up at a rapid speed.

Nothing was done of course.

Below is what is written about being offered a speed awareness course from Uswitch. https://www.uswitch.com/car-insuranc...reness-course/

“To be offered the option of going on a speed awareness course rather than paying a fine and getting points on your licence, you must fit the following criteria:

1) It must be your first offence in the last three years

2) You've been caught driving over 10% plus 2mph of the limit, but below 10% plus 9mph. In other words, if you were in a 30mph zone, this means anything between 35mph and 42mph, while for those driving in a 70mph zone, it means anything between 79mph and 86mph.

Otherwise, you’ll have no choice but to receive a fixed penalty notice and a minimum of three points on your licence.”

Following a young friend trying to get insurance on a Supercar, I thought I’d check how much my 50+ self could insure something similar for, and was quite surprised!

Mclaren 570s, now over £2000, when I had quotes a couple of years ago for around £600:

however a Ferrari California, or a 911 GTS were both only around £400!
    It's just a matter of time...

I’ve had a quote for an Alfa Stelvio quadrofolio of £450. Very surprised as I’d heard they were easy to steal

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Following a young friend trying to get insurance on a Supercar, I thought I’d check how much my 50+ self could insure something similar for, and was quite surprised!

Mclaren 570s, now over £2000, when I had quotes a couple of years ago for around £600:

however a Ferrari California, or a 911 GTS were both only around £400!
    I wonder if the carbon tub makes the McLaren more expensive to repair?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Everything has got more expensive, it’s like the inflation numbers we’ve all been seeing and experiencing the last couple of years haven’t applied to car insurance for some reason?
    If everything had gone up as much as car insurance, you'd be seeing MPs on lamp posts in Parliament Square.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    If everything had gone up as much as car insurance, you'd be seeing MPs on lamp posts in Parliament Square.

M
    Ha ha! :-D

There’s sometimes a lag with car insurance though, all the inflationary pressure is applied, but it can be up to a year before that reality hits people.

I’m not getting a violin out for insurers here, don’t get me wrong.

I last renewed car insurance in May last year, I shopped around and got similar to what I’d paid the year before, it will be interesting to see what happens this May.

My wife renewed her insurance (yes, we have a weird household where she does stuff for herself) 2 weeks ago, by changing insurer she limited the damage to around +10%.

Hmm, my MX-5 insurance is due for renewal in May, and I'm not looking forward to that. Last year it was £350-ish, fully comp (2016 2.0 ND1). Any guesses what it'll go up to? Last year my renewal for my other car, a Dacia Jogger, was 40% up on the previous year. Reading this thread, I think I might have gotten away with it a bit...

Clicked the link but too many pages to read. Although only 1% profit, what was the actual total? Profit is after all expenses/ bills/wages met. They are not relying on profit to pay the bills.
    I’m assuming the 1% still equates to a large figure?

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    It really isn't.

Look at the profits made by car insurers over the few years and see why prices have had to rise. They've made an average operating margin of under 1% since 2016.

https://www.milliman.com/-/media/mil...ve%20to%202020.

M
    Possibly. When I was getting quotes of around £550-£600 for a McLaren, the BMW i8 was coming in at £800+

I’m just a little surprised that the McLaren is coming in at almost 4 times the price of quotes from only 2-3 years ago. The only other brand I’ve seen climb as much has been JLR due to the number of Range Rovers being far too easily stolen.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Done a requote with the same insurer I am currently with on my old 5 series.. last year's renewal (May 2023) was £320... They are telling me this year £800! I haven't made any claims, no points, got years worth of no claims... It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Possibly. When I was getting quotes of around £550-£600 for a McLaren, the BMW i8 was coming in at £800+

I’m just a little surprised that the McLaren is coming in at almost 4 times the price of quotes from only 2-3 years ago. The only other brand I’ve seen climb as much has been JLR due to the number of Range Rovers being far too easily stolen.
    As has been said before, algorithms, I would bet the popularity of McLarens has increased ( influencers innit )with corresponding crash rate.
    Cheers..
    Jase

In The Guardian today

Average car insurance cost in UK nears £1,000 after prices rise 58%

Young drivers face huge increases as soaring costs help push up inflation

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...rise-inflation

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    In The Guardian today

Average car insurance cost in UK nears £1,000 after prices rise 58%

Young drivers face huge increases as soaring costs help push up inflation

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...rise-inflation
    As far as I can see (from the telly) the number of uninsured drivers is increasing - could there be a connection?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    As far as I can see (from the telly) the number of uninsured drivers is increasing - could there be a connection?
    Possibly with cost of living increases that many are chopping insurance and the increases in insurance - will further that figure.

Then, if not already done - the more claims against the industry for non-insured drivers, the loading of 'risky' categories of drivers becomes skewed, and the general cost increases rather than loading the higher risks

Master
    Blog Entries
    With all the cameras how do people get away with it? The Police know what’s happening but don’t apply resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    With all the cameras how do people get away with it? The Police know what’s happening but don’t apply resources.
    Basic penalty is £300 and six points. Opposed to a few grand for an insurance quote the maths may look attractive to some.
    Of course this is just the fixed penalty, if it goes to court or you knock someone down for example things change drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Well I am not sure they do TBH. My in-laws changed their car just before Xmas and due to some confusion forgot to tell their insurance company. After about 4 weeks of ownership they received a letter from the Police indicating that records were showing that the vehicle was uninsured. The letter was an 'advisory/warning' but concluded with a statement indicating that failure to correct this would result in prosecution. They were not stopped by Police so presumably CCTV with ANPR has triggered this?.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Well I am not sure they do TBH. My in-laws changed their car just before Xmas and due to some confusion forgot to tell their insurance company. After about 4 weeks of ownership they received a letter from the Police indicating that records were showing that the vehicle was uninsured. The letter was an 'advisory/warning' but concluded with a statement indicating that failure to correct this would result in prosecution. They were not stopped by Police so presumably CCTV with ANPR has triggered this?.
    More likely a letter generated by the Motor Insurance Database that flagged a car that hasn’t been declared SORN but without insurance against it.

It's probably a circle, but I suspect the number of uninsured drivers is the effect rather than the main cause of insurance price rises. I can imagine quite a few people on the breadline with an unaffordable insurance bill but reliant on a car will take a risk.

I think they were quite lucky. I think if you actually get stopped you end up with £300 fine and 6-points. Happened to a mate who was out of the country for about 8-months, came back and forgot his insurance had lapsed. I think the only way you can get away with it is on an autorenewal error where your insurance company agrees to renew and backdate the insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I think they were quite lucky. I think if you actually get stopped you end up with £300 fine and 6-points. Happened to a mate who was out of the country for about 8-months, came back and forgot his insurance had lapsed. I think the only way you can get away with it is on an autorenewal error where your insurance company agrees to renew and backdate the insurance.
    Current Policy in North Yorkshire when CCTV picks it up is a letter first.

Craftsman

M
    I thought carbon tubs are not repairable if damaged?

Master
    Current Policy in North Yorkshire when CCTV picks it up is a letter first.
    I shared an office with a PC who was on light duties and had been set in front of a computer that made the most annoying alert sound when a flagged car passed an ANPR camera. Most of them were no insurance or drive off from petrol station flags, and needless to say he was very frustrated when trying to direct patrol cars to stop them.

Unsurprisingly, most of the registered keeper addresses were baloney, so follow up house calls rarely got any result.

This was a few years ago now, no insurance has always been a huge problem for the country, and the recent cost of living increases will hardly have helped with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    It's probably a circle, but I suspect the number of uninsured drivers is the effect rather than the main cause of insurance price rises. I can imagine quite a few people on the breadline with an unaffordable insurance bill but reliant on a car will take a risk.
    I’ve heard of a few around here that couldn’t afford to repair their cars just got them to a secluded spot and torched them and reported them stolen. Insurance pays out they get a new car with warranty. Car crime isn’t a high priority here.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Car Insurance Shock!

Insurance is hammering the young. My son was working as an estate agent for an upmarket company in North Norfolk, on a very low basic salary that was topped up by commission. He had to run a car with business insurance and the cost last year was close to £3000. He had to resign as he couldn’t afford or justify a combination of huge costs just to do his job - (the bosses all had company EV’s but no doubt they can’t insure anyone on those under 25) - plus the loss of commission due to the property market. He now works a 4 day week in hospitality (opposed to usually 6 days a week in estate agency) and his disposable income is almost double now his insurance has dropped to £900 and he drives considerably fewer miles. In rural areas no car = no job or massively reduced options, and for many kids it’s just not an option. My son spent about 2 years savings from Saturday jobs to pay for his lessons and I topped that up. Sadly not every youngster - even those like my son with a solid work ethic - can rely on the bank of mum and dad.
    Last edited by RobDad; 16th January 2024 at 16:30.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I expect it to soar in the coming year.

Master
    More likely a letter generated by the Motor Insurance Database that flagged a car that hasn’t been declared SORN but without insurance against it.
    This makes sense. Last year I part exed a motorcycle to a dealer who “ forgot” to transfer the V5 to Trade. As it was a classic eg no tax I didnt expect a refund. However I certainly didnt like the Ask Mid letter which in essence said insure it or face prosecution. Of course the dealer was very apologetic and promised they would do it “ that day”. Lesson learned I process my own V5’s when I sell , as I dont trust the dealer to be diligent in their paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    This makes sense. Last year I part exed a motorcycle to a dealer who “ forgot” to transfer the V5 to Trade. As it was a classic eg no tax I didnt expect a refund. However I certainly didnt like the Ask Mid letter which in essence said insure it or face prosecution. Of course the dealer was very apologetic and promised they would do it “ that day”. Lesson learned I process my own V5’s when I sell , as I dont trust the dealer to be diligent in their paperwork.

Would that be the dealers way to not have a extra owner show on the history? ( I don't know how trade works )
    Cheers..
    Jase

The MIB (Motor Insurers' Bureau) site says it adds about £53 to insurance so...

Wow! Just sorting my dad's car insurance. Renewal came in recently and went from £600 to £1000 (Volvo XC40). I was sure they were trying it on so I checked comparison sites etc and they are all around that price. What an increase!!!

An interesting story in the Grauniad today from the owner of an early 2000s Honda Jazz which her insurance company has now refused to insure:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...risk-to-insure
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    I am shocked and appalled at my increase this year, with seemingly no alternatives to get anything cheaper.

A 340i in North London has increased from £800 to over £1,500. No claims in the last 19 years, no speeding tickets. Ridiculous, and the comparison sites don't have anything better it seems.

But fortunately inflation is under control apparantly. 😤

Master
    Ditto. I'm now paying more to insure my Jag X Type than it cost me to buy!!!
    Doubled in the space of a couple of years despite a clean license, no claims, low crime area, parked on a drive. You're not telling me insurance companies costs have double? My mechanic charges about the same for a service as he has for the past 5 years, so they're not being scalped on repair.

This is greed, just a massive industrial case of price fixing and rinsing people for a service they can't refuse to have. I know personally if it were an option I'd be driving uninsured rather than paying £1400 a year to these bloodsuckers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Doubled in the space of a couple of years despite a clean license, no claims, low crime area, parked on a drive. You're not telling me insurance companies costs have double? My mechanic charges about the same for a service as he has for the past 5 years, so they're not being scalped on repair.

This is greed, just a massive industrial case of price fixing and rinsing people for a service they can't refuse to have. I know personally if it were an option I'd be driving uninsured rather than paying £1400 a year to these bloodsuckers
    £1400 bloody hell, mental.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

Insurers aren’t making big profits https://www.ey.com/en_uk/news/2023/0...sults-analysis.

Blame the car makers, thieves and uninsured instead of joining them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Insurers aren’t making big profits https://www.ey.com/en_uk/news/2023/0...sults-analysis.

Blame the car makers, thieves and uninsured instead of joining them.
    Did you read it and note the dates and summary?

Code:
     UK motor insurers reported a loss-making Net Combined Ratio (NCR) in 2022 of 109.5%, driven by high inflation and lagging premium increases
    Sounds like they un-lagged the premiums then.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman

Car Insurance Shock!

A friend has an Audi RS6, and we where out 1 night and a lady reversed into the front bumper cracking the headlight and scraping the paintwork

The repair took 19 days, the insurance company paid for him to have an RSQ7 for the whole time

£19,797 just for the hire car, the insurance company may pay less but that what was on the paperwork he saw

All for a cracked headlamp and a touch up

*sorry it was actually 25 days not 19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 30th January 2024 at 20:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    A friend has an Audi RS6, and we where out 1 night and a lady reversed into the front bumper cracking the headlight and scraping the paintwork

The repair took 19 days, the insurance company paid for him to have an RSQ7 for the whole time

£19,797 just for the hire car, the insurance company may pay less but that what was on the paperwork he saw

All for a cracked headlamp and a touch up

*sorry it was actually 25 days not 19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Insurers are only too happy to hand over no fault claims to ‘claims handling companies’ and they’re really in the ‘charge the at fault clients insurers as much as they can for the hire car’ business.

Massively increasing costs for everybody.

I posted about my friends experience earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Did you read it and note the dates and summary?

Code:
     UK motor insurers reported a loss-making Net Combined Ratio (NCR) in 2022 of 109.5%, driven by high inflation and lagging premium increases
    Sounds like they un-lagged the premiums then.
    Saw the dates but doubt 2023 summary is available yet. It's just not a very profitable business despite what many might think.

Insurers are only too happy to hand over no fault claims to ‘claims handling companies’ and they’re really in the ‘charge the at fault clients insurers as much as they can for the hire car’ business.

Massively increasing costs for everybody.

I posted about my friends experience earlier in the thread.
    Yup, I had a light bump with an Audi SUV and I reckon costs would be,maybe, £1000 between the twwo. It finished up at £8000 after the pirates got their hands in the pot.

My insurance company have just tried a massive increase on cars and home. After a bit of diligent searching I reinsured at £400 less than this year.

My van has recently been written off after a tiny bump on the offside rear whilst I was parked up.

The damage was a dented bumper which I have pushed out by removing the bumper and getting behind it with a hot air gun, a broken tail light (replaced for £220), a small dent in the rear door and some damage to the rear three quarters (neither of which I’ve bothered with).

When paintwork, sign writing, labour and the potential cost of a courtesy vehicle were added, the cost was deemed uneconomical.

I got paid out just shy of £5800 (£7300 less £1500 salvage value).

It doesn’t take much for the costs to add up and render a vehicle a non economical repair after even a small bump.

I’ve also had to replace a leaf spring on the same corner but I’m not relating that to the accident. At £420 plus fitting, the parts prices really don’t help matters either.