closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Case back removal tool

Case back removal tool

Any recommendations for a simple tool to remove snap on case backs? I have one that came with a generic set from Amazon but the edge is too thick for some case backs. Also, is a press recommended for pushing the backs in place again or any other handy tips would be appreciated.

Grand Master
    If it’s v.difficult to remove it’ll be equally difficult to press back on. A press is likely to be required, with a set of plastic dies.

Generally I can get them off with a case knife wrapped in a cloth to avoid damage to finders, I’ve had a full set all my life and I prefer to keep them in good condition.

If the case knife and determination fails I resort to a tool I bought second hand many years ago that clamps the case and presses a blade into the gap, thus allowing the caseback to be flipped off.

Might be better to entrust it to your local battery swapper or repairer?

Was thinking of having a go myself in the not too distant future. Decided on a Bergeon case knife and a reasonably priced caseback press with dies. Both from Cousins. For opening, choice of tool will be dependent on whether there's a caseback lip to get the knife under or whether there's just a gap between case and back (ie no lip). In any event a caseback press with the correct size die is essential I'd say. And patience :o) Recommend a perusal of Cousins wares - and avoid ebay.

Grand Master
    Cousins own brand case knife is what I use, I don’t recommend buying Bergeon simply based on the brand.

Technique is more important, always use a cloth to protect fingers and thumb if the knife slips.

Thank you. I’ll have a browse on Cousins, think a decent caseback knife will do the trick.