closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year......I don't get it!

Grand Master

New Year......I don't get it!

As a child in the 60s I don't recall anyone really making a fuss about New Year, Christmas was always a big thing (and rightly so) but New Year was very muted in my part of Yorkshire. Over the past 30-40 years it seems to have become a much bigger event, but I really can`t understand why!

One year ends, another begins, what's the big deal? Why do folks set fireworks off and generally celebrate it? It isn`t like passing exams, getting married, winning something or marking a major achievement, all folks have done is survived another year so why make a big fuss?

It's the one night of the year I`m glad to stay in, can`t stand all the faux celebration (usually alcohol-fuelled and totally lacking in genuine goodwill).

Frankly, I`ll be glad when it's all over. Bloody fireworks will be a nuisance as usual, I`ll stick the headphones on, play some decent music and bury my head in a book till it quietens down.

Best wishes for the future and good health to y'all............hell will freeze over before I utter the cliché 'Happy New Year'

It's pretty much the same with Christmas. It used to be a time for family to enjoy a good meal together and celebrate a religious occasion. Now it starts in September and is all fake sentiments and outside plastic house decorations. I know I'm an old fart but it gets worse every year.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Don’t get me started on Halloween..!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    As a child in the 60s I don't recall anyone really making a fuss about New Year, Christmas was always a big thing (and rightly so) but New Year was very muted in my part of Yorkshire. Over the past 30-40 years it seems to have become a much bigger event, but I really can`t understand why!

One year ends, another begins, what's the big deal? Why do folks set fireworks off and generally celebrate it? It isn`t like passing exams, getting married, winning something or marking a major achievement, all folks have done is survived another year so why make a big fuss?

It's the one night of the year I`m glad to stay in, can`t stand all the faux celebration (usually alcohol-fuelled and totally lacking in genuine goodwill).

Frankly, I`ll be glad when it's all over. Bloody fireworks will be a nuisance as usual, I`ll stick the headphones on, play some decent music and bury my head in a book till it quietens down.

Best wishes for the future and good health to y'all............hell will freeze over before I utter the cliché 'Happy New Year'
    What’s so good about Christmas?

Don’t see the issue. It’s nice to take a pause, consider Janus and look back to a year passed and a year to come.

Apparently NY > Xmas in Scotland in the past but levelling out now.

Maybe rest of UK has just gone the other way a bit.

Celebrating the start of a new year is a fairly common thing across cultures, the sense of starting a fresh, being optimistic about the next year etc.

Obviously we live in highly commercialized times so all these events are milked to buggery!

Bit of Jools Holland, a few cans tonight, a nice walk tomorrow and then back to work! It's all good.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Same shit, different year. I last 'celebrated' new year in 1999, but I've grown up since then.

Now I only use it as an excuse to stick a bottle of Bolly in the fridge

New Years never been the same since the millennium for me, I used to love New Years Eve with my mates doing the pub crawl but then the year 2000 came and the pubs and taxis ripped everyone off to the limit overcharging. Since then I can't remember a single New Year as being memorable other than starting another year.

Tonight will be the same, a nice steak with the OH for tea and chill out watching a movie or a show then off to bed, sometimes in bed before midnight.

Overrated imo...

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post

Celebrating the start of a new year is a fairly common thing across cultures, the sense of starting a fresh, being optimistic about the next year etc.

Obviously we live in highly commercialized times so all these events are milked to buggery!

Bit of Jools Holland, a few cans tonight, a nice walk tomorrow and then back to work! It's all good.

Hear hear :)

Because society says you are meant to be just like the rest of the Borg, and if you are not then you are a miserable weirdo or words to that effect...

Absolutely. Just another thread for the usual curmudgeons to put a downer on everyone and everything. Just waiting for a couple more and we’ll have a full set.

Same for me (except the back to work bit).
    Looking forward infinitely more to a nice relaxing night in Celtic Manor for my 58th in a few days time.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Absolutely. Just another thread for the usual curmudgeons to put a downer on everyone and everything. Just waiting for a couple more and we’ll have a full set.
    PMSL - well said Tony!

A few beers and a takeaway here (Mrs is working).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Good excuse to get together with friends and family and have a party as some of them may not last until next year. Live and let live , if some people would rather sit indoors without any friends or family so be it, but seems strange to get annoyed about people having a good time.

Happy new year:)

One year ends, another begins, what's the big deal? Why do folks set fireworks off and generally celebrate it?
    Same as birthdays really, one year ends another begins. Some like to celebrate them, others don’t.

At least at new year it’s a celebration for everyone rather than the one whose birthday, or wedding it is.

You come across as a bit of a misery so there’s no surprise that you’ve missed the genuine good will of others, I’ve had some amazing new years eves. Hopefully this one will be good too, currently in Tenerife and looking forward to a nice evening and some fireworks.

I wish you a happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    ^^^^^ This
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    Hmmm........looks like I was right after all, no-one’s posted anything to convince me I’m missing a trick!

Sooner it’s over the better, get everyone back to work and let the retirees enjoy normality, hopefully the weather will improve soon!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have to agree to a certain extent.

We have not stayed up to see the new year in for probably 25+ years now, it has little appeal to us these days.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Love it!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not bothered for the last couple of years. It’s a rip off where ever you go. Our besties have invited us to their house, along with two other couples so it will be the eight of us. We have all chipped in with home made Indian food and a few beers, not to dissimilar to our regular get together’s throughout the year.

Only a week to go and we are off to Maldives then Far East Cruise followed by a week in Bali, away for all of Jan and this poxy weather.
    Last edited by hilly10; 31st December 2023 at 18:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    New Years never been the same since the millennium for me, I used to love New Years Eve with my mates doing the pub crawl but then the year 2000 came and the pubs and taxis ripped everyone off to the limit overcharging. Since then I can't remember a single New Year as being memorable other than starting another year.

Tonight will be the same, a nice steak with the OH for tea and chill out watching a movie or a show then off to bed, sometimes in bed before midnight.

Overrated imo...
    Fully agree with you.
    Bideford used to be in the top 5 places to be on NYE, as traditionally everyone dressed up in fancy dress and the atmosphere was amazing. Then Millennium arrived and it was decided to make a family thing. Well you can't mix children with drunk adults and so it just became a farce. Now its just drunk teenagers.

As for Christmas, it was my absolute favourite time of the year, both as a child and a parent.
    But today the true meaning of Christmas has been totally buried by the culture of what and how many presents did you get.
    Ask children today, what Christmas is all about and the only answer you will get is " I get presents"

As for tonight, I shall be working a night shift for the Ambulance service.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    As for tonight, I shall be working a night shift for the Ambulance service.
    Good for you, though sadly the celebrations will no doubt add to the workload.

Thoughts and thanks with all the emergency services and defence folks who are working whilst a lot of us enjoy it.

Frankly, I`ll be glad when it's all over. Bloody fireworks will be a nuisance as usual
    Quite. Couldn't agree more.

When I was young in the '70s there was a Scottish couple on the road, and they threw a mean hogmanay party. Not that I remember much about it, I was sent up to bed before it got interesting.

I'll be off to bed early tonight, and moaning about the fireworks at midnight.

Bah, humbug.

Craftsman
    Used to be a great night out before we had our little boy. Now it's just some nice food, a good movie and some scrabble etc.
    Had some fantastic new year nights but not possible when you've got a toddler really.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Master
    My wife tells me the shops have cleared down all their festive stock and have now embarked on Valentines Day!

It can only be a matter of days before they start on Easter!

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    My wife tells me the shops have cleared down all their festive stock and have now embarked on Valentines Day!

It can only be a matter of days before they start on Easter!
    My local Co op cleared out Christmas chocolates on Boxing Day and replaced them with a range of Cadbury mini egg products ready for Easter. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    My local Co op cleared out Christmas chocolates on Boxing Day and replaced them with a range of Cadbury mini egg products ready for Easter. Crazy.

Was discussing this the other day - do people eat easter eggs now or buy to give away in ~3 months time?

It's becoming less and less of a thing in Scotland each year, I think...........

Huge back in the day when there was less weekend (and schoolday) drinking.

Me - I live in hope that I could celebrate it here each year:

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post

As someone opined on social media - the dude's just been born and you're already planning his execution.

Master
    Lol.
    Just Walter sprinkling some shit dust on any occasion.
    To be fair I don't think it is as big a thing up here as it used to be when I was a youngster and you trailed round peoples houses with a carry out for about 2 days.
    We get the 2nd off up here which helps.
    Quiet one tonight for me and the Mrs but the 3 kids are out partying.
    16 for dinner tomorrow so that will be the bigger event for us.
    Last edited by Hood; 31st December 2023 at 22:34.

Master
    Christmas was just a magical time in the 60s as a youngster, maybe because I was just that, but I’m sure it had much more sincerity to it back then. Gifts were simpler, in fact everything was just less complicated. Even the weather was less complex and we seemed to have frost or snow most Christmas days. Well that’s my recollections anyway and I will treasure the memories of those Christmas days with my Mum, Dad and Sister.

I recall very little in the way of NY celebrations until I was into my 20s when we used to go to the local pub and hold hands at midnight. I got into my 40s, 50s and 60s and comfy sitting up at home until midnight…….11…….10……9.30 😳😳😳😳

Absolutely. Just another thread for the usual curmudgeons to put a downer on everyone and everything.

In't everything BRILLIANT

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

A few beers and a takeaway here (Mrs is working).
    That sounds perfect

Master
    I'm at home with the wife and kids. We joined the neighbours for drinks and then left to put the youngest to bed. I'll stay up to midnight, sing Auld Lang Syne and drink a glass of fizz. I may or may not have company. I like to remember the old year and look forward to the new. Happy New Year to all.

Obviously it's a new phenomenon.

New Year......I don't get it!

In any case, remember to poop before midnight.
    You don’t want to carry this year’s shit into 2024!

And that goes for our resident Victor Mildrew.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Mood hoovers anonymous. Wow.

Happy new year to you all.

Even you, tag, best wishes for 24.

I have to say I can’t remember New Year celebrations being a thing when I was a small child in the 70’s - and even now I’m surprised how soon it follows Christmas!! - some enjoy celebrating, some use it as an excuse to get drunk, others let it pass by without much fuss. But I think it’s a valid point that it seems to be much more publicly celebrated now?

I'm on shift this year so sat on a tanker on the humber pumping oil ashore. I'll watch the fireworks going off over Cleethorpes and grimsby. New year hasn't really interested me for years, I put more stock in Christmas and getting together with my folks and cooking them (hopefully) good food. For various reasons 2023 has been a shite year for my wife and I and my folks so I'll be glad to see the back of it.

All the best to everyone though and can someone please consume dangerous levels of alcohol on my behalf please?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Of the two dates NY was always the biggie up here in Scotland. Look at the Edinburgh Hogmanay event where folk still travel from all over the world to join in with us.

Xmas was not ‘celebrated’ in the way other countries did however, that’s changed in the last 20 or so years with a more Christmas spirit across the country.

Then again the SNP will probably ban all fun and festivities until they’re not re-elected.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Of the two dates NY was always the biggie up here in Scotland. Look at the Edinburgh Hogmanay event where folk still travel from all over the world to join in with us.

Xmas was not ‘celebrated’ in the way other countries did however, that’s changed in the last 20 or so years with a more Christmas spirit across the country.

Then again the SNP will probably ban all fun and festivities until they’re not re-elected.

Jim
    Sort of contradicts the other Scottish posts.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Sort of contradicts the other Scottish posts.
    Not sure where. Happy Hogmanay.

Jim

I loved going out on the razz for New Year when I was younger and had some truly memorable nights.

Now I’m older it doesn’t have the same appeal, but then a lot of things don’t. It’s a very long time since I last went clubbing for example. 😉

To all the youngsters going out to have a great time I say good on ‘em. I did, and so should they.
    So clever my foot fell off.

New Year used to be huge when I was growing up and going out a lot more.

These days I’m regularly asleep before midnight, so it’s not quite the same, but it’s still a bigger night out the Christmas Eve.

Happy New Year everyone - celebrate and enjoy!
    It's just a matter of time...

I’m from Scotland and have always celebrated New Year here, even when we lived in SE England, always travelled back. Did big Edinburgh street parties and massive house parties when I was younger, now just love spending time over the bells with my family, more precious now as my kids are in their teens and will be leaving home at some point.

Happy New Year to everyone on here, even those with differing views to myself, and my thoughts are with Eddie as he hopefully makes a full recovery, he’s the reason we’re here after all. Cheers folks.

I never wanted to be an old fart but alas I feel I’m getting closer. I hate the perpetual cycle of the year; Easter Eggs in the shops on Boxing Day, Valentines Day, Easter, Christmas and New Year. Repeat forever. I’d have gone to bed earlier but the kids wanted to stay up.

But happy new year to all you lot

Why do people let off fireworks at random times? 9pm I can understand - maybe they have children - but 11:45?

Anyway HNY one and all!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well as I physically cant go out this NYE I just watched a bit of Rick Astley, something is very,very wrong.

Turned of the old big heads London fireworks display and shall finnish watching an old Columbo episode in a minute or two.

I have to face the fireworks or drown them out, I cant be the only one who the sounds give flashbacks.

The ones all around outside my house now reminded me of watching a fire fight 30 years ago with tracer going back and forth.

I've enjoyed many memorable NY celebrations over the years, one highlight being arrested in Falkirk. Much less into it now, although I do enjoy the Edin fireworks (just back in).

HNY

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why do people let off fireworks at random times? 9pm I can understand - maybe they have children - but 11:45?
    11.45pm makes more sense than 9pm (midnight makes more sense).