closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for starting out as a photographer

Master

Advice for starting out as a photographer

I know there are a few keen photographers on here so any advice appreciated.

Mrs C is currently retired from the corporate world to look after our 2 girls and as a family it’s working out great for us. She has now expressed an interest in doing some part time work. She is an excellent phone photographer and has captured some amazing pics down the years so is thinking about dabbling a little in doing family photography sessions locally.

If she is serious about this can anyone advise what camera set up would be best for those kind of shots (family portraits , kids, indoor and outdoor ) and if there is any particular course you could recommend to get her started ? Also what editing software is best for this kind of work.

appreciate there is more to this than just getting a camera and getting started but she has a good eye and it’s worth looking in to at least.

Master
    How longs a piece of string.

Virtually any camera from one of the big makers will do, couple it with a “portrait” lens 85mm full frame equivalent will do. Maybe a 50mm equivalent also.

An idea of budget would help as plenty on the secondhand market.
    Last edited by craig1912; 31st December 2023 at 08:19.

Master
    There isn’t a set budget as such but I’m going on the assumption that 5-750 quid should get a relativity decent starting set up second hand ?

Craftsman
    Learn the basics of exposure on manual mode, the relationships between ISO, shutter speed and lens aperture

Master
    Agree , learn the fundamentals , exposure , ISO/ASA/Exposure Index , shutter speed , Aperture and how they interact .

A decent dslr or mirrorless . I used to carry a canon 5d dslr kit everywhere .I now carry a sony compact ( RX100VA) mirrorless which does 99% of what the dslr kit does in something I can fit in my pocket.

Lenses don’t spend a lot until you decide if you want to go with a full frame camera or a crop , I’d recommend you go full frame but you can learn everything with a cheaper cropped camera.

50mm is your baseline nominal lens with a full frame . ( I did an entire A level in photography with a praktica slr and a 50mm lens) . To this day I usually keep a 50mm on my dslrs just so I know I can grab and shoot.

You can get very good , fast , sharp 50mm lenses for under £100. A decent wide lens 24mm is handy for landscapes . 120mm is a decent zoom. For portraiture you probably want to play between 50-100mm on a full frame canera ( note because of crop factor the field of view will vary for the same lens focal length , this is one reason why not to invest a lot of money on your lenses if you are initialky learning on a cropped sensir camera however you can still get perfectly decent results and learn everything).

buy some spare batteries and if you are going pro have at least two camera bodies .

Tripod preferably with fast release mount. generally I have Ronfords but I also use motion picture cameras , any decent tripod will do.

Plenty of wannabe photographers dump their stuff on ebay after 6 months of realising its not for them.

For traditional portraits you probably want to get some studio space , lights , reflectors and cyc bg .

Getting some digital knowledge on file handling formats and digital image manipulation is probably advisable . Shoot raw . Professionaly daneras tend to ge more ruggedized and will withstand moisture and dust better than a prosumer/consumer level.

The canon 6d was a good entry level full frame dslr a few years ago .

Blog Entries
    I use mpb for second hand cameras and lenses - guaranteed for 6 months. Whenever you decide what to get.

To learn try an older generation Nikon DSLR say D300s with a 50mm fixed prime and learn the basics in manual mode.

look up Joe McNally on YouTube for inspiration on using Nikon etc

speedlights for indoor lighting : SB800 get a couple

tripod

editing - lightroom is the standard - can buy on subscription for few £ a month. That’s a whole set of courses on YouTube in itself

(you can tell I was a Nikon shooter!)
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 31st December 2023 at 10:17.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    For a few years I shot weddings and primarily used a pair of Nikon D700 cameras with a 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8.

Low resolution compared to some of the current gear, but the results were beautiful and the printed wedding albums looked fab. I still have a mate who is a pro and uses the Canon 5d MkII and a 24-70 f/2.8. Seem to be the stock kit still for portrait/people photography.

I think the challenge for anybody setting out to sell photography, particularly of kids etc, is you’re competing with free. You’ll need something that people won’t be able to recreate easily on a camera phone, I know my wife’s social circle of friends/family readily share kid pics, and some of them are very good indeed. The only ones she’s paid for in 10 years have been school photos.

If your wife has a good eye for photographs, as you say, then she should develop that as it’s one thing that can’t be recreated just because you have some great kit etc. I know from trying to photograph kids at the weddings I used to do that they are difficult to catch naturally, and keeping them interested and engaged is a skill in itself.

Personally, I’d pick up a full frame DSLR or Mirrorless, something with a reasonable frame rate (ie 5fps+) and a wide aperture 24-70 f/2.8 of some sort and then learn how to use it. There is still something about a full frame camera and a wide aperture that is very pleasing, but practice practice is the mantra. There is tons of free learning out there on YouTube etc around everything from basic camera controls through to portrait photography, that’s before you consider the books and college courses etc.

Main thing is for her to enjoy it, and shoot the stuff that people are willing to pay for, which might not be the same as what she likes.

If it doesn’t work out, she’d be able to sell the kit for similar to what she paid if she buys used from MPB or somewhere, so very low financial risk. Some kind of website would be a good investment as well, even if staying local, people like to be able to download and share images.

Best of luck to her!

When i started to dabble a few years ago i looked at loads of cameras and in the end opted for a bridge camera, whilst they offer a fantastic zoom and are pretty good within anything 50ft of you, anything more than that and it’s seriously lacking. I live on the edge of some large fields which are populated by all manner of birds of prey but at distance and against the backdrop of the sky my camera is useless. I should have just gone for a DSLR with a sigma 500 lens.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 31st December 2023 at 11:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    When i started to dabble a few years ago i looked at loads of cameras and in the end opted for a bridge camera, whilst they offer a fantastic zoom and are pretty good within anything 50ft of you, anything more than that and it’s seriously lacking. I live on the edge of some large fields which are populated by all manner of birds of prey but at distance and against the backdrop of the sky my camera is useless. I should have just gone for a DSLR with a sigma 500 lens.
    I think for what she wants to do 50 feet will be plenty !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    For a few years I shot weddings and primarily used a pair of Nikon D700 cameras with a 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8.

Low resolution compared to some of the current gear, but the results were beautiful and the printed wedding albums looked fab. I still have a mate who is a pro and uses the Canon 5d MkII and a 24-70 f/2.8. Seem to be the stock kit still for portrait/people photography.

I think the challenge for anybody setting out to sell photography, particularly of kids etc, is you’re competing with free. You’ll need something that people won’t be able to recreate easily on a camera phone, I know my wife’s social circle of friends/family readily share kid pics, and some of them are very good indeed. The only ones she’s paid for in 10 years have been school photos.

If your wife has a good eye for photographs, as you say, then she should develop that as it’s one thing that can’t be recreated just because you have some great kit etc. I know from trying to photograph kids at the weddings I used to do that they are difficult to catch naturally, and keeping them interested and engaged is a skill in itself.

Personally, I’d pick up a full frame DSLR or Mirrorless, something with a reasonable frame rate (ie 5fps+) and a wide aperture 24-70 f/2.8 of some sort and then learn how to use it. There is still something about a full frame camera and a wide aperture that is very pleasing, but practice practice is the mantra. There is tons of free learning out there on YouTube etc around everything from basic camera controls through to portrait photography, that’s before you consider the books and college courses etc.

Main thing is for her to enjoy it, and shoot the stuff that people are willing to pay for, which might not be the same as what she likes.

If it doesn’t work out, she’d be able to sell the kit for similar to what she paid if she buys used from MPB or somewhere, so very low financial risk. Some kind of website would be a good investment as well, even if staying local, people like to be able to download and share images.

Best of luck to her!
    thanks some solid advice there

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I use mpb for second hand cameras and lenses - guaranteed for 6 months. Whenever you decide what to get.

To learn try an older generation Nikon DSLR say D300s with a 50mm fixed prime and learn the basics in manual mode.

look up Joe McNally on YouTube for inspiration on using Nikon etc

speedlights for indoor lighting : SB800 get a couple

tripod

editing - lightroom is the standard - can buy on subscription for few £ a month. That’s a whole set of courses on YouTube in itself

(you can tell I was a Nikon shooter!)
    cheers Martyn

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Agree , learn the fundamentals , exposure , ISO/ASA/Exposure Index , shutter speed , Aperture and how they interact .

A decent dslr or mirrorless . I used to carry a canon 5d dslr kit everywhere .I now carry a sony compact ( RX100VA) mirrorless which does 99% of what the dslr kit does in something I can fit in my pocket.

Lenses don’t spend a lot until you decide if you want to go with a full frame camera or a crop , I’d recommend you go full frame but you can learn everything with a cheaper cropped camera.

50mm is your baseline nominal lens with a full frame . ( I did an entire A level in photography with a praktica slr and a 50mm lens) . To this day I usually keep a 50mm on my dslrs just so I know I can grab and shoot.

You can get very good , fast , sharp 50mm lenses for under £100. A decent wide lens 24mm is handy for landscapes . 120mm is a decent zoom. For portraiture you probably want to play between 50-100mm on a full frame canera ( note because of crop factor the field of view will vary for the same lens focal length , this is one reason why not to invest a lot of money on your lenses if you are initialky learning on a cropped sensir camera however you can still get perfectly decent results and learn everything).

buy some spare batteries and if you are going pro have at least two camera bodies .

Tripod preferably with fast release mount. generally I have Ronfords but I also use motion picture cameras , any decent tripod will do.

Plenty of wannabe photographers dump their stuff on ebay after 6 months of realising its not for them.

For traditional portraits you probably want to get some studio space , lights , reflectors and cyc bg .

Getting some digital knowledge on file handling formats and digital image manipulation is probably advisable . Shoot raw . Professionaly daneras tend to ge more ruggedized and will withstand moisture and dust better than a prosumer/consumer level.

The canon 6d was a good entry level full frame dslr a few years ago .
    brilliant thank you

Master
    Plenty of good advice has already been given but the best bit of advice I was given when I made the leap to DSLRs was to invest in glass not the body. Set a budget and then find the cheapest, second hand, body and the best lenses to fit the budget.

The logic being that, as a beginner, all of the bells and whistles of the latest body won't make as much difference in image quality than good lenses. The difference between a poor lens and a good lens is noticeable, no matter how good a photographer your wife is. Once she has got to grips with the technicalities of aperture, shutter speed etc (and has found out if she can make money) then will be the time to upgrade the body. When that time comes she will still have a good lense and won't have to upgrade her glassware too.

Oh, and don't get caught up in the "more mega-pickles the better" madness, certainly at this stage.

Sent from my ASUS_I006D using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote from Tooks "For a few years I shot weddings and primarily used a pair of Nikon D700 cameras with a 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8."
    This is good advice, just because cameras are older doesn't mean they still can't produce stunning images, they don't stop working when a new model comes out. Also the "pro" type of camera are tested to 500K+ shutter actualtions so are likely to be reliable and last well. Good luck with your venture, Cheers, John B4

If asking these questions OP, it may be a sign that Mrs C is still a little ways off from a business?

Get a Canon or Nikon dslr, spend a bit of time doing freebies for local charity events and student CV headshots, and take it from there.

Lighting, and a way with her subjects, is much more important than cameras and lenses (which are all excellent these days).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    If asking these questions OP, it may be a sign that Mrs C is still a little ways off from a business?

Get a Canon or Nikon dslr, spend a bit of time doing freebies for local charity events and student CV headshots, and take it from there.

Lighting, and a way with her subjects, is much more important than cameras and lenses (which are all excellent these days).
    oh yes miles off and it may never be one!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    oh yes miles off and it may never be one!
    Didn’t mean to imply that at all - just worth taking the time to build up knowledge & familiarity with what works and what doesn’t before getting into the transactional side…

Master
    Do people actually pay to have portraits and kids pictures taken, you don't see many studios on the High st. anymore, the quality of camera phone pictures (as the OP's wife has found) is very good now, and you can keep pressing the button until you get a good shot. So long as you have a vague eye for composition and lighting you're good to go.

Frankly most family group type portraits you see hanging on peoples walls look pretty naff to me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Do people actually pay to have portraits and kids pictures taken, you don't see many studios on the High st. anymore, the quality of camera phone pictures (as the OP's wife has found) is very good now, and you can keep pressing the button until you get a good shot. So long as you have a vague eye for composition and lighting you're good to go.

Frankly most family group type portraits you see hanging on peoples walls look pretty naff to me!
    well we use a family photographer every year , they aren’t formal portraits , usually outdoor pictures , it’s well worth it imo. She doesn’t have a studio or anything I think that day is nearly over.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post

I dont know about portraits and kids but try photographing a wedding or other event with your mobile VS a decent pro photographer and you will lose spectacularly.

I'd recommend buying a Fujifilm X100S. It's a cracking camera and your wife can learn all about how to shoot in manual and Aperature Priority modes and how to understand framing and ISO. The camera is cheap and cheerful but takes some superb photos. If it all works out, have a look at something like a used Nikon Z6 and an f/1.8 50mm or a Fujifilm XT-5 and some of their lenses.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I dont know about portraits and kids but try photographing a wedding or other event with your mobile VS a decent pro photographer and you will lose spectacularly.
    I never mentioned weddings, I accept that's something you would pay for as it's often a once in a lifetime event!

Budget for a decent printer in addition to a camera / lens. Don't rely on laboratory prints. Portrait photography requires excellent lighting. The best camera and lens will never produce a good portrait without excellent quality lighting and suitable background(s). Study You Tube 'Photographic Portraiture' videos.
    Consider practising portraiture using a polystyrene mannequin head. If you cannot afford pro quality studio lights, consider using a regular strobe but 'off camera' and in conjunction with a reflector(s). You'll need lighting stands / supports and the means to carry them.
    If your budget permits, consider buying a full frame camera – the advantage of which is its ability to produce better out of focus backgrounds compared to APS-C and M4/3 formats. There is so much to learn for anyone contemplating working as a professional portrait photographer.
    Requires a lot of hard work and study and the ability to accept criticism. Portrait photographers need to be able to develop a good relationship with their clients / models and make them feel at ease.
    Last edited by sundial; 1st January 2024 at 01:18.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Good book - Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

FM Forum - Fred Miranda

Also RFF - Range Finder Forum - also has digital camera forums

it more about learning to recognise a good photographic opportunity these days, the cameras you can buy do everything for you so theres really no need to learn about iso ratings / shutter speeds etc unless you are going to be using vintage cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    it more about learning to recognise a good photographic opportunity these days, the cameras you can buy do everything for you so theres really no need to learn about iso ratings / shutter speeds etc unless you are going to be using vintage cameras.
    This is true. By asking on this forum, there will be a bias in the responses toward the technical: what kit you need, how it all needs to be set to manual, how you need to understand all the theory. I’m as guilty of that as the next man (and it always is a man), but in reality modern kit is entirely freeing and the points on which Mrs C might instead focus (sorry) are how she interacts with her subjects, how she makes them feel on the shoot, and how her images make them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Good book - Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

FM Forum - Fred Miranda

Also RFF - Range Finder Forum - also has digital camera forums
    Can’t speak to the first two, but RFF I also found to be full of third rate photographers taking refuge in dull chat about their (ever more expensive) kit to mask their appalling and cliched images; it would be the precise opposite of somewhere I’d recommend for the OP’s question.

Craftsman
    Hi,

As a first step, you could think about doing a course in digital photography. I did a course at City Lit in London (https://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/ar...gn/photography) and I found it really helpful for understanding what the different exposure settings do. Our tutor was a professional photographer and he was pretty practical, so we would go outside the classroom and take photos of London landmarks at night to put it into practice. He also was able to give us tips on equipment sourcing etc. Maybe doing a course for 6-8 evenings might help?

I've also found Scott Kelby's books on digital photography helpful. https://amzn.eu/d/0lm0GXQ

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I’ve done this more times than I can count .

Albeit first time I was 15 it was with a praktica 35mm slr and a single 50mm lens ( and yes I did my own neg dev and print) .

I’ve shot background plates and video as reference or “hail Mary’s” on my iphone that ultimately got used as shots in multimillion dollar feature films.

Most “pro” photographers I’ve run into are frankly pathetic and not worthy of the term . I was at a wedding last year in Manchester as the best man and eventually I pushed off the frankly obnoxious photographer who was festooned with camera equipment and generally acting like he was doing us a favour by turning up. His results were mediocre at best. Technically dubious before you even start looking at creativity. The bride and groom got the bulk of their photos from me. The “pro” took a handful of bland mediocre shots that weren’t even enlarged or colour corrected well.

Camera phones have been excellent for many years now . The black magic camera app ( free) turns my iphone into a mini pro motion picture camera with full control over everything including shutter angle ; it even runs time of day timecode and has automatic slate generation as well as log prores which shoots n excess of 10stops and fits easily into an ACES professional colour pipeline . The prism based optical lenses on the latest 15 pro max are frankly miraculous.

I put most “professional” photographers in “cowboy” territory. Most are lucky if they can get the subject’s eyes sharp and generally walk about with the camera in full auto . ( next time take a look at the average posing dslr weilding photographer , they are probably on 3200ei , with a massive mid range zoom and shoot everything at 24-32mm ( so they can crop later as they can’t compose) with a fully open aperture so they have hardly any depth of focus . Back light everything and fill in the subject with a flash even in bright daylight ( esoecially in bright daylight) , then they’ll bray about how they are shooting raw ( welcome to the 20th century).

Original poster , learn the fundamentals yourself ( basic exposure and camera operation is something children can learn) , ignore most of the pros , you’ll progress much faster . Most courses won’t teach you anything you can’t learn in a couple of days but you might get access to equipment and be able to decide if its for you without massive expenditure.

Master
    No way , if you don’t understand at least how , shutter speed , aperture , focal length and exposure index contribute effects to the image then you are missing 99% of photography . Its like buying a big mac and thinking you are now a chef .

Craftsman
    Stick to one lens for a year or so. Either a 50mm or 35mm. Not sure about the feasibility of turning it into a business? That's probably more down to your social network and networking skills.

No way , if you don’t understand at least how , shutter speed , aperture , focal length and exposure index contribute effects to the image then you are missing 99% of photography . Its like buying a big mac and thinking you are now a chef .
    i dont need to know that to put my camera into macro, sport , nighttime or any other mode.

.... knowing shutter speed, aperture etc isnt going to make you take a good picture.

........ taking digital pictures these days is more like saying you own a private chef , he does the work for you.

Master
    I’ve done this more times than I can count .

Albeit first time I was 15 it was with a praktica 35mm slr and a single 50mm lens ( and yes I did my own neg dev and print) .

I’ve shot background plates and video as reference or “hail Mary’s” on my iphone that ultimately got used as shots in multimillion dollar feature films.

Most “pro” photographers I’ve run into are frankly pathetic and not worthy of the term . I was at a wedding last year in Manchester as the best man and eventually I pushed off the frankly obnoxious photographer who was festooned with camera equipment and generally acting like he was doing us a favour by turning up. His results were mediocre at best. Technically dubious before you even start looking at creativity. The bride and groom got the bulk of their photos from me. The “pro” took a handful of bland mediocre shots that weren’t even enlarged or colour corrected well.

Camera phones have been excellent for many years now . The black magic camera app ( free) turns my iphone into a mini pro motion picture camera with full control over everything including shutter angle ; it even runs time of day timecode and has automatic slate generation as well as log prores which shoots n excess of 10stops and fits easily into an ACES professional colour pipeline . The prism based optical lenses on the latest 15 pro max are frankly miraculous.

I put most “professional” photographers in “cowboy” territory. Most are lucky if they can get the subject’s eyes sharp and generally walk about with the camera in full auto . ( next time take a look at the average posing dslr weilding photographer , they are probably on 3200ei , with a massive mid range zoom and shoot everything at 24-32mm ( so they can crop later as they can’t compose) with a fully open aperture so they have hardly any depth of focus . Back light everything and fill in the subject with a flash even in bright daylight ( esoecially in bright daylight) , then they’ll bray about how they are shooting raw ( welcome to the 20th century).

Original poster , learn the fundamentals yourself ( basic exposure and camera operation is something children can learn) , ignore most of the pros , you’ll progress much faster . Most courses won’t teach you anything you can’t learn in a couple of days but you might get access to equipment and be able to decide if its for you without massive expenditure.
    You sound like a ‘pro’ yourself! :-D

Seriously, I have met some terrible so called professional photographers in my time as well, one of the reasons I started doing them (part time) was because I saw the results of what a niece had paid for, and how the photographer looked bored and uninterested and it was clearly something he wasn’t enjoying.

Many photographers ignore the clients requirements, whilst I’d have been happy to take candid shots all day at most of them, they also wanted the ‘boring and traditional’ family group photos etc.

To go back to the OPs request for help/advice, I’d suggest some research, ie what would people be happy to pay for? As I said earlier, phones are very capable nowadays, coupled with a bit of an eye for composition (or sometimes just dumb luck) they can produce some fantastic images. I have a large canvas print of my daughter when she was a toddler playing in some autumn leaves, a friend we were walking with took it, the image was sent to me free of charge and I paid a company to print it.

That’s what she’ll be competing with.

I'll try and make this more specific to the info you've provided. If your wife has a talent for really nice, unusual or unique compositions then that's more important than buying expensive gear, as she needs to consider why would people choose her over other photographers or a family member who could take good pics with their camera? Is there something different about the pics? The light? The composition?

She doesn't necessarily need a studio set up or off camera lighting. She can shoot indoors using window light or outside but she does need to know how different types of lighting, position of the sun etc affects an image.

In the beginning, my advice would be to buy a second hand DSLR or mirrorless camera with a 50mm lens - even something 10 years old + would be fine. This shouldn't cost much - at a stage where your wife doesn't know if she will enjoy photography or be any good at it. Do you know any photographers who can give her a basic introduction into photography and more importantly, how to take portraits or people with their eyes in focus (so yes, she will need to know about shutter speed, aperture and ISO)? Otherwise, blitz some YouTube tutorials.

The other part that's not been addressed is editing. Although many people don't like post processing it's extremely important to correct and colour grade images in order to make them more unique and just look better.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    I know there are a few keen photographers on here so any advice appreciated.

Mrs C is currently retired from the corporate world to look after our 2 girls and as a family it’s working out great for us. She has now expressed an interest in doing some part time work. She is an excellent phone photographer and has captured some amazing pics down the years so is thinking about dabbling a little in doing family photography sessions locally.

If she is serious about this can anyone advise what camera set up would be best for those kind of shots (family portraits , kids, indoor and outdoor ) and if there is any particular course you could recommend to get her started ? Also what editing software is best for this kind of work.

appreciate there is more to this than just getting a camera and getting started but she has a good eye and it’s worth looking in to at least.

Master
    Don’t worry about buying your own printer unless you are running a business .

There are plenty of high quality print agencies . Spend the effort on building a decent colour pipeline for your images instead ; you would need that anyway to get the best from your own printer and meaningful prifessional colour calibration is a subject about 3 times more complex than learning basic photography ; althougb there are shortcuts and half decent off the shelf software and devices ( displays have improved immensely in accuracy/ capability from the factory)

In a nutshell its comparatively easy to get all the bits together to produce professional images but you’ll encounter a lot of bull from so called “professionals” that will spiral you down rabbit holes if you are not careful. Look at Eve Arnold , Bill Brandt , O Winston Link , ( faves of mine) . When I shoot I generally ignore colour and prioritise ; composition , tonal range and depth of field . I learnt B/W photography first and its stuck with me. In a hectic situation I’ll usually lock on a set exposure criteria that allows me to set shutter speed to at least 120th ( 60th is usually the absolute lowest I’ll go hand held and expect a useful image) quite often this will require a close to fully open aperture and a highigh iso .

I’ll generally try to use “fast” lenses as a result which is towards the wider focal lengths ( 18-50mm) unless you get very expensive lenses.

Exposure metering is all about positioning where mid grey is in your image in order to leverage the latitude/dynamic range your camera can capture . You can always remove dynamic range by constrasting up with post processing , you cannot add it though.

Stay away from bracketing and hdr until you master how to expose and manipulate focus and depth of field reliably .

I rarely use a tripod unless I’m shooting technical reference and will prefer to up exposure index to get a high enough shutter speed ( iso) and live with some noise . On your first time out , use a 50mm on the camera and go hand held ( think of this as your baseline in order to experiment with how to solve exposure in different lighting conditions and how lensing works ).

Often a quick cheat I’ll do is meter something close to mid gray in approx same lighting , set my exposure using shutter speed , aperture and iso and then ignore the metering whilst I take the shots in that lighting.

Don’t be too worried about colour temperature , if you shoot raw you can adjust it later without penalty anyway . Daylight varies from about 4000-8000k according to many factors . I generally stick with 4000k 5400k or 6500k depending on what looks most neutral , don’t mess around with small incrimental 100k adjustments . The presets for daylight , artificial lighting are usually okay in most situations if you don’t want it do it manually , auto balancing is usually very easy to confuse and but generally don’t use it but if you shoot raw its onmy in the “meta data” and you can change it from what you shot with impunity anyway.

Autofocus is great. But learn how to use it , how to fool it to do what you want and how to turn it off . Also the role aperture , depth of focus and depth of field have on your sharpness . You can soften in post , you can’t really sharpen.

I tend to use Resolve for finickety colour work , this is free but its a very complex professional motion picture editing and colour grading software . And I use Nuke for image manipulation which is high end professional vfx compositing software which you’d probably need at least 4-5years on to be proficient with and a fair bit of understanding about whats under the hood.

The adobe suite including photoshop is quite cheap and can get you professional results and has lots of guides .

And there are free options that do similar out there .

Pretty good advice so far (as always).

Having recently returned to owning a DSLR I can only echo what has already been said. Get a good understanding about the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how it affects an image. It's worth spending a bigger portion of the budget on decent glass. Finally, have a good old play with post shot processing - lot's of software to do that with, personally I use Photoshop/Lightroom.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    You sound like a ‘pro’ yourself! :-D
    I consider myself several rungs up the ladder from most “professional” photographers I’m afraid.

Master
    I consider myself several rungs up the ladder from most “professional” photographers I’m afraid.
    Really, you haven’t said! ;-)

Master
    i dont need to know that to put my camera into macro, sport , nighttime or any other mode.

.... knowing shutter speed, aperture etc isnt going to make you take a good picture.

........ taking digital pictures these days is more like saying you own a private chef , he does the work for you.
    I fear your benchmark for what constitutes solid photographic images is different to mine. By all means enjoy what you do but I doubt anything I’d say will convince you otherwise therefor I won’t try. There are plenty of resources for learning and appreciating actual photography out there . Its entirely your perrogative .

As an ex-professional photographer (national / international newspapers & magazines in the 1990s), I can't stress how much a basic understanding of photography helps. Simply put, understaing the basic principles of photography will allow you to take better photographs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    As an ex-professional photographer (national / international newspapers & magazines in the 1990s), I can't stress how much a basic understanding of photography helps. Simply put, understaing the basic principles of photography will allow you to take better photographs.
    Yes, I think it’s a given that anybody wishing to work as a photographer should have that basic understanding, I trained as a photographer and graphic designer in the late 80’s, and the first few weeks were all about the relationship between ISO/Shutter Speed/Aperture, and the way it alters a scene.

But, photography is a creative endeavour, and the technical details beyond the basics are not a pre-requisite for earning an income from photography, even if it might help, depending on your chosen niche.

The OPs wife’s niche appears to be family and children portraiture/candids, and if that’s the area she’s focussed on then it’s research time.

Ultimately, you’re looking for people to put money in your pocket in exchange for an image, and that’s achieved via building an online portfolio showcasing your best images and demonstrating your ‘style’, networking and social media.

People keep mentioning the cake/baking analogy, most of us can bake or at least follow a recipe, but what use is the delicious looking cake if nobody sees it and nobody knows where to buy it or tell others how great your cakes are?

Camera phones and the internet have changed commercial photography forever, people buying your images don’t care about your detailed workflow or what kit you’re using, they’ll just need to love your images particularly if they’re family ones.

Advice for starting out as a photographer

Delete
    Last edited by mav112; 1st January 2024 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    ive no doubt they will help, all im saying is that these days with the digital camera equipment you can now get they are not needed ( gone are the days of film based cameras where 7/10 pictures taken were trash because someone who didnt know about how to setup the camera correctly had been messing with it )

good photography used to carry a 'mystique' around knowing the proper settings for any given picture /situation, these days anyone can take a perfectly good picture without needing to go to college to learn anything.

* i know of a couple of people who have gone from hobby photography to doing it as a part time business doing weddings etc - the main thing they needed to learn was how to use photoshop / psp then you can manipulate your work in pretty much anyway you want.
    Last edited by pugster; 1st January 2024 at 14:28.

Master
    ive no doubt they will help, all im saying is that these days with the digital camera equipment you can now get they are not needed ( gone are the days of film based cameras where 7/10 pictures taken were trash because someone who didnt know about how to setup the camera correctly had been messing with it )

good photography used to carry a 'mystique' around knowing the proper settings for any given picture /situation, these days anyone can take a perfectly good picture without needing to go to college to learn anything.

* i know of a couple of people who have gone from hobby photography to doing it as a part time business doing weddings etc - the main thing they needed to learn was how to use photoshop / psp then you can manipulate your work in pretty much anyway you want.
    You have already stated that you don’t believe photography requires much real skill or knowledge beyond having the camera do the bulk of it all for you. We heard you .

If you think its all about photoshop maybe wait until someone asks advice on that. Hopefully its a bit more than saying so e if your friends use it.

My day job for 25 years is both professional photography cinematograohy 2d and 3d and image creation and manipulation for motion pictures and I disagree entirely with you but to each their own .

The original poster is asking for advice for someone who wants to take up photography not someone looking to be conviced its not worthwhile beyond a camera phone and photoshop.

You have already stated that you don’t believe photography requires much real skill or knowledge beyond having the camera do the bulk of it all for you. We heard you .

If you think its all about photoshop maybe wait until someone asks advice on that. Hopefully its a bit more than saying so e if your friends use it.

My day job for 25 years is both professional photography cinematograohy 2d and 3d and image creation and manipulation for motion pictures and I disagree entirely with you but to each their own .

The original poster is asking for advice for someone who wants to take up photography not someone looking to be conviced its not worthwhile beyond a camera phone and photoshop.

but thats not what i said at all is it? i said that you dont need to know how to manually setup a camera anymore - and you dont , millions of people the world over take perfectly good pictures without knowing how to manually set up a camera - or do you think anyone who takes a picture without your extensive knowledge just produces garbage ?

*scrap my last comment you have already answered that

Master
    My day job for 25 years is both professional photography cinematograohy 2d and 3d and image creation and manipulation for motion pictures and I disagree entirely with you but to each their own.

But neither are they asking advice on how to become a cinematographer or motion picture image manipulator.

Your workflow is your workflow, required for your niche profession, and I’m sure you’re absolutely brilliant at it.

That isn’t selling pictures of people’s kids back to them though is it, even if at some level there are similarities.

Master
    but thats not what i said at all is it? i said that you dont need to know how to manually setup a camera anymore - and you dont , millions of people the world over take perfectly good pictures without knowing how to manually set up a camera - or do you think anyone who takes a picture without your extensive knowledge just produces garbage ?

*scrap my last comment you have already answered that
    From a professional perspective absolutely without an understanding of how photograohic principles operate they will produce “garbage” , there are all sorts of fundamental basic criteria that professional images have to satisfy to not be considered garbage.

You are welcome to enjoy whatever photographs you like , however if you are interested in fulfilling photography that passes the basic requirements of being professional then someone who relies on the camera to “setup” the exposure , sharpness and depth of field has limited themselves to “luck” to achieve that rather than being able to exert deliberare control ovef the image they create in pretty much any lighting situation they are confronted with.

So whilst by all means play around with a do it all for you camera and mess about in photoshop all you want but the liklihood you’ll create imagery that isn’t consistently rejected instantly by professionals and informed viewers (and for good solid visible reasons) is delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Can’t speak to the first two, but RFF I also found to be full of third rate photographers taking refuge in dull chat about their (ever more expensive) kit to mask their appalling and cliched images; it would be the precise opposite of somewhere I’d recommend for the OP’s question.
    I'm only on RFF as it has a forum for my RF camera. Its like any forum. Going to be good and bad. Knowledgably and unknowledgeable.

Not every forum is perfect

Master
    But neither are they asking advice on how to become a cinematographer or motion picture image manipulator.

Your workflow is your workflow, required for your niche profession, and I’m sure you’re absolutely brilliant at it.

That isn’t selling pictures of people’s kids back to them though is it, even if at some level there are similarities.
    I would argue that most cinematographers have an understanding of practical photography that comfortably surpasses most professional photographers .However my point was to emphasise the necessity to hit well known and expected criteria in professional photography to demark it from messing about with a camera .

Nothing wrong with messing about with a camera and ignoring all the fundamentals but anyone who thinks its a robust approach to consistently and reliably creating with intent and control is deluding themself and if they entered into that arena with that approach they won’t achieve any success other than relying on blind luck .

I feel the argument is so one sided I might as well be arguing that a chef has a better chance of creating a good meal than someone chucking the same ingredients in a pot and randomly hoping for the best even if the pot has a timer on it.

Master
    I feel the argument is so one sided I might as well be arguing that a chef has a better chance of creating a good meal than someone chucking the same ingredients in a pot and randomly hoping for the best even if the pot has a timer on it.
    Yes, if the latter is what’s being proposed, but I don’t think it is.

There’s perhaps a nuance around ‘professional photography’ and somebody earning a living from photography that is being missed here, deliberately or otherwise.

I’ve no doubt a cinematographer needs to reach a professional standard, but that’s not necessarily the case for somebody who is selling their images and earning a living, even if you think it’s unprofessional and garbage.

Master
    No again that’s a strawman fallacy .

The idea that understanding and having control over basic photographic principles is somehow seperate and overkill for commonly paid for photographic services is nonsense .

If you want to maintain a consistent marketable quality of photography and have the ability to efficiently and reliably deal with the varying lighting conditions a photographer will encounter then you need to at least understand how light is controllled to make the image and how those controls contribute to the visual characteristics of the image itself .

If you don’t you will fail to create marketable images consistently enough to reliably convince people to value your services . Its not about having some elitist snobbery approach to photography .

Master
    No again that’s a strawman fallacy .

The idea that understanding and having control over basic photographic principles is somehow seperate and overkill for commonly paid for photographic services is nonsense .
    I don’t think anybody has suggested that somebody trying to create and sell images shouldn’t understand and have control over basic photographic principles are they?

That’s a fallacy right there.

If you want to maintain a consistent marketable quality of photography and have the ability to efficiently and reliably deal with the varying lighting conditions a photographer will encounter then you need to at least understand how light is controllled to make the image and how those controls contribute to the visual characteristics of the image itself .
    Again, this is something that many have advocated for on the thread, but the basics of the holy trinity in photography are simple to understand, but take practice to master.

If you don’t you will fail to create marketable images consistently enough to reliably convince people to value your services . It’s not about having some elitist snobbery approach to photography .
    But that’s exactly like you sound, you don’t need to be a cinematographer in order to earn a part time living marketing and selling your services as a photographer.

To suggest that people do is ridiculous, as many photographers are doing exactly that right now and have never been anywhere near the film industry.

Do you believe that people will be rubbish car mechanics unless they’ve learnt there trade at Red Bull Racing, or people selling their watercolours at the local market can’t do that because they’ve never been to the Royal College of Art?

Photography is a creative endeavour, it’s whatever people want it to be, if they hit on a formula that sells, then what’s your problem with it?

I remember now why I don’t go on photography forums, so much silly nonsense.