closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cabin Luggage/Travel Bag Recommendations

Cabin Luggage/Travel Bag Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a sporty looking cabin bag? Looked at the North Face Rolling Thunder 22 today, which was okay. Have a max budget of £200. I need a decent size bag for clothes etc. for UK and overseas trips. Thanks. David
    Last edited by dejjl; 30th December 2023 at 19:43.

Sporty you say?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve tried a few in recent years since moving to private sector travel requirements.

Using Eastpak 2 wheeler has served me well on all aircraft. Lightweight and plenty space for good few nights clothing. Lots of pockets too!! They normally have NY sale.

Hope you get fixed up.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    I’ve tried a few in recent years since moving to private sector travel requirements.

Using Eastpak 2 wheeler has served me well on all aircraft. Lightweight and plenty space for good few nights clothing. Lots of pockets too!! They normally have NY sale.

Hope you get fixed up.

Jim
    What are private sector travel requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Presumably you can top-up your final salary pension with your business class air miles?

Master
    I recently switched from Tumi to Briggs and Riley. In part because of the now silly cost of Tumi, and in part because of the worldwide lifetime guarantee on Briggs kit.

A few shops are doing 20%-30% off at the moment which should bring their carry on wheeled duffle into your budget.

I have been using an American Tourister two wheel carry on for the past eight years, it has survived countless long haul and European flights.

I'm not a fan of four wheel cases, this AT has two wheels partly built into the corners of the unit which take minimal space from the interior.

Worldwide warranty, easy access to spares and fully serviceable - I have recently changed the low-profile wheels and the case is as good as new.

I really like my Topo Designs Global Travel Bag 30L. I've used it as hand luggage the last few times I've been on holiday, managing to pack around 5 days of clothes in it with judicious packing and use of packing cubes. They also do a 40L version. The 30L version is hand luggage friendly. Not sure about the 40L version, you'd have to check the dimensions.

https://topodesigns.com/products/con...42571113824309

I got mine on eBay. They have a US and EU websites.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I recently switched from Tumi to Briggs and Riley. In part because of the now silly cost of Tumi, and in part because of the worldwide lifetime guarantee on Briggs kit.

A few shops are doing 20%-30% off at the moment which should bring their carry on wheeled duffle into your budget.
    I got a Briggs and Riley a couple of years ago for the same reason but bought online and only noticed later that the hinge seems to be a thin piece of plastic leather which is already tearing.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Pretty self explanatory Dave

I moved to private sector and have requirements to travel.

Hope you have a good Hogmanay.

Jim

Thule Aion is my recommendation. £285 RRP but some places doing 20% off with discount codes.

I'd avoid the likes of Rimowa, Briggs & Riley, Globetrotter etc as they aren't as good as the Thule, more like fashion brands these days sadly.

Worth checking what the maximum cabin bag size is for the airlines you'll be using most frequently, I've ended up with a selection to choose from. For 200 notes I'd probably be looking at something like a 55cm Samsonite duffle with wheels, probably with the backpack option for versatility.

Avoid 4-wheeled carry on cases, whatever you do.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Here, the Aion available at £199 here

https://www.rohan.co.uk/equipment/tr...r#main-content

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Thule Aion is my recommendation. £285 RRP but some places doing 20% off with discount codes.

I'd avoid the likes of Rimowa, Briggs & Riley, Globetrotter etc as they aren't as good as the Thule, more like fashion brands these days sadly.
    Has B&R really gone downhill or is this typical FUD?

My laptop case and backpack look pretty much as they did when I got them nearly15 years ago so the quality was very good back then - they still offer a lifetime guarantee so have things deteriorated?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Worth checking what the maximum cabin bag size is for the airlines you'll be using most frequently, I've ended up with a selection to choose from. For 200 notes I'd probably be looking at something like a 55cm Samsonite duffle with wheels, probably with the backpack option for versatility.

Avoid 4-wheeled carry on cases, whatever you do.
    Good advice as always M and don’t disagree.

In saying that, I use recessed 4 wheelers for hold bags.

Hope you’re all safe and well

Jim

Here, the Aion available at £199 here

https://www.rohan.co.uk/equipment/tr...r#main-content
    Fine for tourists who travel occasionally in business class, but as a professional traveller flying on average over 50 times a year in all classes and on carriers across the spectrum of quality from Qatar right down to BA I wouldn't go near a spinner.

Good advice as always M and don’t disagree.

In saying that, I use recessed 4 wheelers for hold bags.

Hope you’re all safe and well

Jim
    Cheers, Jim. Recessed is probably fairly safe. I've numerous four-wheelers being dragged across baggage halls effectively as two-wheelers because a single castor has become damaged or clogged. The external wheels also count towards the overall dimensions which is a literal waste of space.
    Best wishes to you and yours.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fine for tourists who travel occasionally in business class, but as a professional traveller flying on average over 50 times a year in all classes and on carriers across the spectrum of quality from Qatar right down to BA I wouldn't go near a spinner.

Cheers, Jim. Recessed is probably fairly safe. I've numerous four-wheelers being dragged across baggage halls effectively as two-wheelers because a single castor has become damaged or clogged. The external wheels also count towards the overall dimensions which is a literal waste of space.
    Thanks M. Noting also the BA sentiment. Agreed!

J

I took 82 flights in 2023, including to locations like Ethiopia, never had any issues myself but everyone's experience is different.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Tumi prices have increased 100% in the last 6-7 years. I have my carry-on from Tumi Arrive -line, which now cost nearly 2000e a piece. I bought mine from the Las Vegas Tumi outlet for around 500usd in 2015. I would not pay the current prices for them and based on what I've seen, I also think that the Briggs and Riley are a good choice right now.
    Last edited by china; 31st December 2023 at 14:31.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I have a couple of those in the arsenal, but not for cabin carry

I took 82 flights in 2023, including to locations like Ethiopia, never had any issues myself but everyone's experience is different.
    I hope that your new job enables you to spend more time at home with the family. I turned down my travel with support from the office for a couple of years to support with caring duties and it really paid off. The biggest issue for me with external wheels is the loss of internal storage space as I often travel with only cabin bags, but the risk of damage is also a factor as castors are far more prone to stresses where attached, and having seen knackered spinners numerous times.

I hope that your new job enables you to spend more time at home with the family.
    Yep thankfully it does, maybe a couple of times a year to the US and once a quarter to one of the European offices.

Most of my 82 flights were day return trips to places like Glasgow and Amsterdam, or an overnight in Milan so the majority were short haul, mostly on BA although towards the end of the year I started booking Easyjet flights to Milan instead of BA and was left wondering what the heck we were paying so much for BA flights for!

Pretty self explanatory Dave

I moved to private sector and have requirements to travel.

Hope you have a good Hogmanay.

Jim
    Err, not really - is it different to public sector travel?

Anyway, no matter and have a good one yourself!

I've had a Samsonite soft cabin bag with recessed wheels for about the last 10 years or so and still looks like new.

Good stuff at a reasonable price.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I travel extensively and have also switched from Tumi to Briggs and Riley due to the huge increase in price of Tumi items. Briggs and Riley items compare favourably in quality and functionality with Tumi items. but are typically at least 50% cheaper than the equivalent Tumi items. They come with a worldwide lifetime guarantee - I have had to use it once on a recent trip to Australia and New Zealand when Qantas managed to smash the main handle. Briggs and Riley do not seem to be well represented in Australia so I had to nurse the suitcase back to the UK. Briggs and Riley UK sent a new handle plus fittings free of charge and it was a 15 min job to fit the new handle so the suitcase is now good as new.
    Like Mr Curta advises - I would avoid spinners as they are :
    - prone to breakage
    - a nightmare to wheel around on anything other than a smooth surface. Cobbled streets etc etc render them useless
    Last edited by chris56; 31st December 2023 at 17:21.

Craftsman
    I cannot afford Rimowa nowadays, the prices are astronomical! Mine are bought over a decade ago

Much also depends on the type of travel. My trips often involved lengthy walks during transfers and at destination airports with limited infrastructure, whilst carrying an additional equipment bag as part of a global rapid deployment obligation. A two-wheeled case lends itself well to attaching another bag with secondary straps.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Much also depends on the type of travel. My trips often involved lengthy walks during transfers and at destination airports with limited infrastructure, whilst carrying an additional equipment bag as part of a global rapid deployment obligation. A two-wheeled case lends itself well to attaching another bag with secondary straps.
    With you M. Grab bags must be small and stocked with essentials.

J

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    Thanks all, much appreciated.
    Are you any the wiser, or more confused?

Master

The biggest issue for me with external wheels is the loss of internal storage space as I often travel with only cabin bags, but the risk of damage is also a factor as castors are far more prone to stresses where attached, and having seen knackered spinners numerous times.
    My biggest issue was learning airport floors are often not level & clearly I’m not adult enough to learn.

Absentmindedly looking up, seeing a random case in the middle of a walkway then realising it was mine grew tiring.

Master
    The wife has just spent new years in Miami overnight (as a cling on of a friend who’s crew). She took my Wenger spheria wheeled laptop / overnight bag. This fit shoes, party dresses, makeup, clothes etc. with no issues.
    It also means I can roll without killing my back when I go on business trips.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Good question!

What I have learned is just how much money some people spend on luggage!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not really cabin bags but the skateboard wheels on the Floyd one cases are ace

Good question!

Your request was reasonable, but it was always going to be ignored and turn into a Tumi vs Briggs & Riley suitcase borefest! It always does.

Only trumped by the washing machine thread and the numerous what car should I drive threads.

Your request was reasonable, but it was always going to be ignored and turn into a Tumi vs Briggs & Riley suitcase borefest! It always does.

Only trumped by the washing machine thread and the numerous what car should I drive threads.
    Maybe, but helpful too, for example, 2 wheels vs 4 wheels.

Going to pay a visit to the Samsonite outlet at Gunwharf Quays.

Master
    Forgot to mention Travelpro, I got a spinner from them for the wife and quality looks very good (but awaiting its first outing admittedly)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've given up with wheely bags ... I now have one of these for carry on and find it far easier to travel with than dragging a wheeled bag along.

https://www.osprey.com/gb/osprey-soj...23#color=Black

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I've given up with wheely bags ... I now have one of these for carry on and find it far easier to travel with than dragging a wheeled bag along.

https://www.osprey.com/gb/osprey-soj...23#color=Black
    For carry on, I completely agree. I have a Brown Buffalo ConcealPack and it’s epic. Wouldn’t ever have wheels on a carry on personally

Maybe, but helpful too, for example, 2 wheels vs 4 wheels.
    Or, no wheels :)

Master
    Sporty you say?

Or, no wheels :)
    Better than your contributions to this thread, Dave.

Craftsman

Cabin bag

Douchebag..... Scandinavian company who started off with Surfboard bags..... not cheap (is any luggage?) but top draw

2 wheels FTW

2 wheels FTW
    Love it!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Good question!

+Always spend a few more pounds on shrink-wrap.

Journeyman
    I appreciate sportier looks myself, but I like the more classic ones. My favourite bag is this leather carry-on.
    Despite its more classic aesthetic, the bag is incredibly functional and perfect for my travels. It's sized just right to fit into overhead compartments. It has a roomy main compartment that's spacious for clothes and travel essentials.
    It has served me well for short and long trips, and the quality of the leather suggests it'll last for many more journeys to come.
    Last edited by philsimm; 5th February 2024 at 09:18.

Samsonite ecodiver offers a decent balance of space, quality, looks and price.

https://www.cabinzero.com/collection...SAAEgKkx_D_BwE

For what it’s worth, I use one of these
    I can get enough kit in it for 2/3 days it’s is light and easily slots in the over head bin or under the seat in front.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 1st February 2024 at 17:53.