closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too small? Opinions please

Journeyman

Too small? Opinions please

Hi All

I’ve just tried on a Tudor Black Bay 54 and would like to know your thoughts about the size and how it looks. I love the watch design and it’s wonderfully slim, but does it just look a bit too small for my wrist?

I’ve owned a Tudor BB58 before and that was my smallest watch, I’m normally a larger, dive watch style wearer. But I think I’m edging towards appreciating smaller sizes and their comfort. I know in years gone by, 34-36mm tended to be the standard size.

Opinions? Too small, or just right?

Looks perfect to me, Mike.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the proportions in the photos. I think having bracelet ends links open wide rather than pulling down is more masculine, rather than looking like a child wearing a grown ups watch.

Master
    Looks just right. I’m tempted by those.

Most definitely not too small.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks just right to me, certainly not too small.

There again I have been known to wear a 34mm watch, so I may not be reliable. I thought that would be too small, but my experience was that you soon get used to it and start to appreciate the different look.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 30th December 2023 at 13:06.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies, I think I’m just used to looking down at a larger dinner plate on my wrist so wanted to get some unbiased opinions.

The BB54 is a lovey design and really thin, also light but at the same time feels very robust. I think it’s a keeper (famous last words!)

The general trend seems to be towards smaller case sizes and I can kinda see why. The vintage sizing does have a certain charm, that’s for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Looks just right. I’m tempted by those.
    Cheers! I’d certainly suggest trying one on, I’m impressed!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    Looks just right to me, certainly not too small.

There again I have been known to wear a 34mm watch, so I may not be reliable. I thought that would be too small, but my experience was that you soon get used to it and start to appreciate the different look.

Yes, I think it will take a little time to get used to the smaller size. but it’s so comfortable on the wrist.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I like the proportions in the photos. I think having bracelet ends links open wide rather than pulling down is more masculine, rather than looking like a child wearing a grown ups watch.
    Yes I agree, the bracelet is really comfortable and the T-lock sizing system is very handy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Looks perfect to me, Mike.
    Thanks Tony! I wonder if they will do a date version, maybe even a gmt in the future.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikelancs View Post
    but it’s so comfortable on the wrist.
    The benefit in comfort, and hence enjoyment of wear, when you have watch that’s neither too long nor too thick, should not be underestimated!
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 30th December 2023 at 14:40.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks fine.

I think you only notice watch size for a few days after changing then you just get used to it.

Craftsman
    I think it looks good!

I have a 7" flat wrist and for the last year I have been wearing 36mm watches with a slim height and shortish lug length. I used to think that 36mm was too small for my tastes but, as others have suggested, I have found that you quickly adapt to the size and I like them a lot.

In the last month I have gone back to rotating these with a couple of 40mm dive watches and TBH I am finding that the bigger pieces a tad on the large size! I find that they feel more 'obvious' on my wrist both in looks and it their ability to catch on things! This was never an issue previously so I'm sure I'll adapt again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks fine.

I think you only notice watch size for a few days after changing then you just get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Looks fine.

Most definitely. Often fluctuate between my MM300 and some “smaller” 38mm pieces and the transition between the two takes a few days for me.

BB54 looks good here, Mike!

Master
    Looks good to me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks fine to me.

Looks Goldilocks to me. A proper vintage vibe.

Grand Master
    I'm definitely in the smaller watches camp, with 6.75" square wrists a lot of modern watches are simply too big for my liking. If you like the 'big watch' look, with the watch dominating the wrist, that's fine, all too often a watch that's too big doesn`t look right whether it's fashionable or not. Thickness plays a major part, many modern watches are too thick. For me, the ideal dive watch/chrono size is 38-39mm, for other designs 34-37mm is ideal. 37mm for a diver does sound a bit small, but I'd have to try it to decide. One thing's for sure, the larger version wouldn't suit me.

Ultimately the OP has to decide for himself, from the photos it looks absolutely fine.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I'm definitely in the smaller watches camp, with 6.75" square wrists a lot of modern watches are simply too big for my liking. If you like the 'big watch' look, with the watch dominating the wrist, that's fine, all too often a watch that's too big doesn`t look right whether it's fashionable or not. Thickness plays a major part, many modern watches are too thick. For me, the ideal dive watch/chrono size is 38-39mm, for other designs 34-37mm is ideal. 37mm for a diver does sound a bit small, but I'd have to try it to decide. One thing's for sure, the larger version wouldn't suit me.

Ultimately the OP has to decide for himself, from the photos it looks absolutely fine.
    ^couldn‘t agree more

I think I’m just used to looking down at a larger dinner plate on my wrist so wanted to get some unbiased opinions.
    I can associate with that comment. I have alway preferred larger watches so when I tried my first small watch I got the shock of my life and immediately rejected it. Of course, I tried it again just to be sure and started to change my mind. By the third and fourth attempt I was hooked. None of us really like change and if we've been used to a big watch then a small one can throw us a bit of a curve ball.

Fwiw, I think that it really suits you.

Grand Master
    I have a 36mm Omega 2551 and can wear that and 34mm Rolex dress watches on my 7.5" wrist with no concerns about size whatsoever.
    All about what we have been spoon fed and become use to imo.

Not small,just small compared to much bigger.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Master
    Looks great, no issue at all with size - albeit finally that's a question only you can satisfy yourself of!

Master
    If you're asking you're probably not happy. Don't wear the watch for other people wear it for yourself.

Grand Master
    Hi All

I’ve just tried on a Tudor Black Bay 54 and would like to know your thoughts about the size and how it looks. I love the watch design and it’s wonderfully slim, but does it just look a bit too small for my wrist?

I’ve owned a Tudor BB58 before and that was my smallest watch, I’m normally a larger, dive watch style wearer. But I think I’m edging towards appreciating smaller sizes and their comfort. I know in years gone by, 34-36mm tended to be the standard size.

Opinions? Too small, or just right?

Did they let you in the Store with your Dog too.

There's an argument to say that if you're asking the question it may well be too small. That said, I've recognised that we get used to large watches and visa versa and it can take a while to recalibrate. This happens to me whenever I switch from a Linde Werdelin to a 36mm CWC G10. Initially I'm convinced the G10 is too small but after a few days it feels normal. Then when I switch to an Explorer2 it feels enormous but settles down to feel normal again after a few days of wear.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Did they let you in the Store with your Dog too.

Alfie the Frenchie approves!

Master
    I'd agree it looks fine in the pics but given pics tend to exaggerate the size I presume it wears smaller in real life. That said, I don't think it would ever be too small but it may feel that way, at least initially as others have said. My sweet spot is 38-40mm, 35-36 felt a little small so I no longer have anything that size but have a few 42/43mm pieces which are definitely a little big but I'm ok with how they wear.
    I'd say go for it as good to have a mix of sizes in the collection.

Blog Entries
    That looks a great size. Dimensions of a watch can be deceptive - especially just going on the nominal diameter. What is the lug-lug (across the wrist) size?

I have a 6 3/4 flat wrist and anything over 50mm lug-lug feels too large (unless is Panerai).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    That looks a great size. Dimensions of a watch can be deceptive - especially just going on the nominal diameter. What is the lug-lug (across the wrist) size?

I have a 6 3/4 flat wrist and anything over 50mm lug-lug feels too large (unless is Panerai).
    The lug to lug on the BB54 is 46mm, the BB58 is 48mm I believe.

The BB58 is a small watch - I really don’t see the point of the 54 although my wife would like one. She tried both the 54 and 58 on and the 54 didn’t seem all that much smaller at all but the crown looked awkwardly fiddly, so I’ll probably suggest she gets the 58. I haven’t been wearing my 58 for a few months - it’s off to be regulated/serviced at the moment - but I’ve been enjoying f wearing larger watches again, if you didn’t bond with the 58 I wouldn’t consider the 54 imho.

My 2p worth is watch people shouldn't worry about watch size, provided the lugs aren't on the limit if overlapping the edges of your wrist (my thinking is there should be some curve to strap or bracelet top and bottom, without that the watch looks overpowering) any size looks fine.

I wear 34mm, up to 43mm and several different sizes in between, for me personally they all look fine. Maybe others might not agree but if they don't well that's fine, if I like it that's all that matters to me.

Regardless, you're asking for opinion and the Tudor looks fine to me, as would a larger or smaller diameter.

Looks like a really good size on your wrist to me

Master
    Blog Entries
    It looks perfect to me,if you can read the dial then be happy with it.

Grand Master
    Absolutely no user issue's with regards to the size of the crown.......whatsoever.
    Size of the watch and crown work perfectly,would have people saying the crown was too big and an unbalanced had they made it bigger.

Can't win whatever they/them make for us!.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Absolutely no user issue's with regards to the size of the crown.......whatsoever.
    Size of the watch and crown work perfectly,would have people saying the crown was too big and an unbalanced had they made it bigger.

Can't win whatever they/them make for us!.
    Personally I feel the crown on the BB54 is too small. Whilst I like the newer style & that of the bezel compared to the 58. I prefer the size of the 58 & the red triangle.

For the OP is looks fractional too small & a 58 might be better. But it doesn’t look out of place. If you like everything about it, that’s all that matters

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Nah it's not too small. It's normal size, no frisbee fashion watch size.

Looks great on your wrist and in my humble opinion it's the best model in the Tudor line-up currently. I've been very tempted myself.

Looks fine to me but watches often look larger on wrist shots than they appear to be IRL.

I think the BB58 is a better proportioned watch and will stand the test of time better than the 54 but all the gold coloured accents ruin it for me. Ultimately, who cares? if you like it, and can afford it, buy it.

Craftsman
    Looks good to me also.

I’m certainly on the ‘trending towards smaller’ train, though I personally prefer the BB58.

Master
    Worth taking a shot from one foot away in the mirror, rather than a wrist shot, for comparison.

Master
    Looks spot on to me. I myself also favour smaller sizes these days.

Looks great to me. Before you pull the trigger though there is one UK AD that still had (last week at least) some availability left for the 2nd and final batch of the Seiko SJE093J1.

Based on the assumption people would rather get the Seiko but believe it is all sold out, I'm giving you the heads up. Or get both!

Craftsman
    I had the mid-Size Omega Seamaster (2561.80) for a few years and although I "got used" to the size, it was always nagging in the back of my mind that it was too small.

Having subsequently bought the 41mm version, it was obvious that it was a better fit (and I'm a 6.5" wrist so relatively small boned).

The diameter of the watch glass is the same on the 41mm Seamaster as it is for the 36mm Datejust, and that makes the proportions optimal in my view, and especially so with a relatively slim case.

Now the 37mm BB54 is slightly larger than the 36.2mm mid-size Seamaster I had, but even so, I think I would go for 38+ mm if I wanted another mid sized diver. In the case of Tudor, it would be the BB58 all day long. Try them both on side-by-side and I think it will be obvious that the BB58 is the one to go for.

Grand Master
    Lets have some "small" 34 to 38mm watche pics.

My 7.5" wrist.....look & feel great as far as Im concerned.Certainly don't give the size any thought.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

34ish to 38mm

Grand Master
    Like the Tag ani-digi & the Dreadnought there.

Master
    Choice is a good thing. Small watches, big watches, neither are good nor bad. Choice of which size you prefer is the only good thing.

Journeyman
    Looks good to me too. I’ve got big watches that wear smaller than the measurements would suggest and vice versa. For me it’s all about how it sits on your wrist and it looks like it sits well in those photos.

Journeyman
    Personally I think it looks a little small but then I don’t like smaller watches. I tried a 36mm datejust a while back and wanted to love it but always thought it was too small for me (7 inch wrist). It’s such a personal thing though. Plenty of people love smaller watches and they don’t necessarily have small wrists. It’s what you’re comfortable with and perhaps if you’re asking whether it suits you then - respectfully - you obviously have some doubts yourself.