closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which TV - Samsung or LG

Which TV - Samsung or LG

My current Samsung tv is getting some ghosting and area's where the led's are degrading. I'm looking at either the Samsung 55S90C, 55QN90C or the LG 55C36LC.

What are those better in the know thoughts?

Thanks

Craftsman
    Can’t comment on the tv’s, but on BBC breakfast before Christmas they were talking about deals and the best time to buy a tv was in March as that was when the new models are introduced and the older ones are discounted. Not so good if you need it now, but if you can hold out for a couple of months you could save a bit.

Which TV

Had a couple of Samsungs both had LED troubles got a LG and its fantastic.
    Squashy1

Blog Entries
    Wife has a Samsung approx 9 yrs old and i have an LG approx 2 yrs old both smart tvs and i reckon the Samsung is the better

PS
    Just seen post above it’s a lottery IMO go for price.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Our main 8 year old lounge Samsung has started showing a number of lighter patches. After a few Samsung TV’s I think I’ll try something different this time, the quality seems to be dipping in my limited experience

Master
    We’ve just replaced our 8 year old 55” smart tv, looked at various LG and Samsung but stuck with another Sony, prices and performance were pretty much similar but we already have a Sony soundbar/sub to use. The dealer I use also have Sony trained techs and they would come out if required rather a third party for the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Our main 8 year old lounge Samsung has started showing a number of lighter patches.

Funny you say that - I'm watching our Samsung, probably about the same age, at the moment. I say probably as we inherited the TV when we bought the house 2 1/2 years ago which was approx 5 years after a renovation. Given they had the holes in the walls put in at the time I assume that was for new TVs, of which there are two. On the one we use the most we've one very obvious light patch, pictured, and a second towards the bottom of the screen that is obvious to the naked eye but I can't capture on the camera.

The other one is used far less frequently - literally a twentieth of the time probably - and remains fine.

Ours is covered in light patches like a grid which are only visible with a light evenly coloured background, such as in a cartoon or a clear sky. No idea what causes it but it’s very annoying!

We’ve had both brands and wouldn’t buy either again. Same for Panasonic. Our main TVs have been variations of the Sony Bravia ranges for the best part of twenty years now and have always been spot on.

Don't they all use the same panels anyway?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

If you are going for OLED buy the LG - they are probably the leader in the panels.

Otherwise, try before you buy and buy what you like - all tvs are better than I grew up with, and I’ve enjoyed them all.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    LG or Sony would be my choice. If going OLED, the LG C3 gets great reviews and seems to edge competitors. I have a C1 currently and can’t see any reason to upgrade. My sister got a Sony A80 recently and it looks amazing. Really crisp picture and the sound is excellent on it. It also has the bonus of being an android OS rather than web os so has better app support (IPTV without a fire stick if you are that way inclined).

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    If you are going for OLED buy the LG - they are probably the leader in the panels.

Otherwise, try before you buy and buy what you like - all tvs are better than I grew up with, and I’ve enjoyed them all.
    This, we always had Samsung for years - we now are exclusively LG Oled throughout.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

We have a lg cx65 oled. About 3 years old
    Been brilliant. But the sound isn’t the best

LG...

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    We have a lg cx65 oled. About 3 years old
    Been brilliant. But the sound isn’t the best
    We have a soundbar on all of ours.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 29th December 2023 at 00:43.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    LG Oled close thread

Master
    LG 65 G series with B&O stage.

Richer sounds bundle in the LG sound bar, price match ( and beat) and offered a 5 year warranty.

Master
    I have Samsung LED (not OLED) and it’s been faultless. My other tv is a Panasonic that is going strong from 2006/7

Our main 8 year old lounge Samsung has started showing a number of lighter patches. After a few Samsung TV’s I think I’ll try something different this time, the quality seems to be dipping in my limited experience
    Ditto. It'll be Sony OLED for me when the time comes

Craftsman
    I’ve had a LG C9 OLED since lockdown started in 2020 and it’s been exceptional. Would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Master
    [QUOTE=demonloop;6327763]I have Samsung LED (not OLED) and it’s been faultless. My other tv is a Panasonic that is going strong from 2006/7[/QUOT all my tellys have been Panasonic the last one an oled and have all been faultless

Master
    I purchased the A80 this year, absolutely awesome set, as mentioned works extremely well with IPTV, mines paired with a Sonos Arc and surrounds, no complaints from me at all- As other people have alluded to stay well away from Samsung, I've had so many issues over the years with their sets, Ghosting and connectivity problems. I'd only really consider Sony or LG, would only only buy from JL or Richer Sounds, my local RS cannot be beaten for good old fashioned customer services and of course they offer a 6 Year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    LG or Sony would be my choice. If going OLED, the LG C3 gets great reviews and seems to edge competitors. I have a C1 currently and can’t see any reason to upgrade. My sister got a Sony A80 recently and it looks amazing. Really crisp picture and the sound is excellent on it. It also has the bonus of being an android OS rather than web os so has better app support (IPTV without a fire stick if you are that way inclined).

Master
    Blog Entries
    same here- much more noticeable when you get a full white screen on mine. We’ve had it approx 10 years, it will do for a spare but a newer higher spec one is beckoning. There are a number of things I never really liked with the Samsung so will try something else this time. Changing from plasma to LED was never going to give favourable results.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Without wishing to tempt fate,our Panasonic is ten years old and still going strong.

We have Samsung tvs in our house. I’m not anal about tvs but the Samsung just seems easier to use.

What about the new oled ambilight tv from Philips ?
    Heard good things about them. Often come with
    Top quality speakers built in ?

Craftsman
    I went with LG OLED (more luck than judegement) and can't fault it. Had a samsung LED previously and had similar issues as other have described with the light patches etc.

Craftsman

Which TV - Samsung or LG

I have had a LG OLED for the last 4yrs, can’’t fault it apart from it’s not great in a well lit rooms and so for that reason I went Samsung Q75C QLED in the extension, put it up today and I’m finding it hard to tell the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pennywise; 29th December 2023 at 17:18.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Changing from plasma to LED was never going to give favourable results.
    Still 100% Plasma here !

Have the Panasonic TX-P50G10B in the lounge. Bought new from John Lewis in 2009 for £999. Nearly 15 years old now, and still going strong with no issues (touch wood). Last year I added the smaller 42" version for our outbuilding set up as a pre-owned purchase off eBay for £25. No issues with that unit either ! Such great pictures from this Panasonic plasma era ... much superior to any LED in my opinion.

My dad has an LG LED which he went for ahead of anything from Samsung after reading Which? reports and so on.

If the lounge plasma went kaput I'd probably also go for something from LG as well.

Craftsman
    LG OLED is as much better than what Samsung can offer

I've ended up with the Sony XR55A80L with the HT-A5000 soundbar. Just need to spend some time setting the picture up now. After being a Sumsung customer for many a year I've also got to get used to the new remote layouts.

Discount on the TV and the soudbar swung my decision.

The picture between the three choices was close though.

Master
    Always find the going on picture quality in a store very weird, they are all set up to look good in a bright store from the factory, all the tech turned on etc. the most garish colours, especially the reds; a default tv gives me a headache in a shop.

When you look at optimum settings for any tv, backlight right down low, all the tech turned off, so far removed from what’s been seen in a shop, brightness lower, colours blended better with calibration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    LG Oled close thread
    Apart from the Oled's my experience with LG is bad, and i haven't had one that lasted 3 years, this however is not a big problem as i i've always bought from Richer sounds, the last LG was replaced by a samsung which is nay on 5-6 years old, my personal view is that i messed up buying the samsung

Craftsman
    Last two TVs have been LG and they have both been superb. Replaced first only due to wanting to upgrade, not because anything wrong with it.

Current one is the 55" OLED and it's brilliant for watching TV and I also play Xbox/Switch on it. Great TV. The UI for LG is also great if you don't use a Fire stick or Chromecast and prefer to use the native smart TV option.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Currently have a LG 55in OLED and 'in dispute' with Richer Sounds over a Warranty Claim.

Its developed Screen Burn which is only visible in Red's and Orange colours ....... in most other colours, the picture is perfect.

Richer Sounds say "Burn-in" is not covered under warranty .

However, as ever, there is sufficient evidence on the net which says LG admits there is a problem with Red Pixel 'Burn-OUT' or degrading of red pixels on OLED.

Richer Sounds having none of it and telling me to (a) Buy a new TV and (b) stay away from OLED "as it might not be the TV for my lifestyle" ?!?!

We replaced our Sony TV at the end of last year, as we wanted a larger screen, so went through a similar thought process.

We narrowed it down to OLED LG or Samsung (for best value), and Sony if your budget will stretch further. Panasonic had fallen behind the others when we were looking at specs.

I concluded that the Sony was not worth the extra ££'s, even though my last 3 TV's have all been Sony.

In the end we went for the 55 inch OLED LG, as they were better value than the Samsung at the time we purchased due to a heavy discounted offer on the LG.
    Our LG is a great TV and I have been very impressed so far.
    Last edited by Maysie; 2nd January 2024 at 13:17.

I've had every brand of flat screen TV over the past 20 years or so, some better than others. My first was an LG plasma (in the really early days), it was awful and I promised myself I'd never buy another LG TV. However after having had Sony's, Panasonics, Samsung's a Toshiba and a few lesser known brands over the intervening decades, and not being overly impressed by any of them I broke my promise and tried an LG OLED as I'd heard great things about them. We now have 3 of them in various rooms, a 65" a 55" and 42", in terms of picture quality and contrast they are unbeatable but it has to be an OLED screen as LED just doesn't cut it due to them being backlit.

We have an LG 55 OLED and it has been faultless for three years, would recommend,

Recently we have been considering a new TV for the living room, I very much like the Sony models where the screen is the speaker, the picture is as good as any of the others but the sound is miles better than any of the other TVs, if you get the chance to listen to one it's a bit of a revelation.

Bought an LG on Black Friday, after my Toshiba developed lines. Very impressed the sound is superb.

Any idea which technology makes for a tougher more kid friendly screen? I only ask as my eldest has Down’s and loves nothing more than the occasional lick of the tv or firing a Nerf gun at the screen - in spite of multiple protests! - the current Samsung (he only seems to do it to the TV in the main room) has developed
    light patches all over after 8 years in a kind of grid pattern as mentioned before - just nervous of paying OLED prices only to find they are a bit delicate?