closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive de Cartier Moonphase

Drive de Cartier Moonphase

I’ve been quietly on the hunt for a Cartier Ballon Bleu but I’ve just discovered this absolute beauty. I’ve never seen it listed as a specific collection on the Cartier or Cartier AD websites, but to me it looks like a perfect watch to fill a dressy hole in the watch box.

Anyone on here have one, perchance?

Last edited by learningtofly; 28th December 2023 at 19:58.

Any thoughts about this, owners or not? I have to admit that I do see it in my future.

Master
    I had a two tone on bracelet Ballon Bleu some years ago - I think if this was out then I'd take this over the Ballon Bleu. (however, the 18k rose gold Ballon Bleu is a desire of mine still!)

I think all of Cartier's models are very 'Marmite', and FWLIW that model's not for me. Prefer the Roadster models, especially the chrono -

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I think all of Cartier's models are very 'Marmite', and FWLIW that model's not for me. Prefer the Roadster models, especially the chrono -
    They probably are, but that Roadster is far too busy for me (I want something more dressy than sporty).

Very underrated as a brand, though.

I like it. Looking at some reviews it has a domed crystal which is superb

Love the case shape/form Tony.

I keep looking from afar at Cartier and they have some nice stuff which I never seem to take the leap to acquire.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I like it. Looking at some reviews it has a domed crystal which is superb
    Yeah, it’s a lovely thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

I keep looking from afar at Cartier and they have some nice stuff which I never seem to take the leap to acquire.
    Cartier has a wonderful heritage, Chris, which I’ve written about on here before. They’re a “proper” manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I’ve been quietly on the hunt for a Cartier Ballon Bleu but I’ve just discovered this absolute beauty. I’ve never seen it listed as a specific collection on the Cartier or Cartier AD websites, but to me it looks like a perfect watch to fill a dressy hole in the watch box.

Anyone on here have one, perchance?

If you like this Tony, check out the model in rose gold!
    Goldsmiths had one in their pre owned sale about 6 months ago for about £12/13k iirc and I was sorely tempted to buy it. Looked a lot of watch for the money!
    Last edited by Yeti; 29th December 2023 at 21:06.

Master
    Blog Entries

Somebody appears to have welded one of my granny’s tits to the side of what otherwise might have been a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    If you like this Tony, check out the model in rose gold!
    Goldsmiths had one in their pre owned sale about 6 months ago for about £12/13k iirc and I was sorely tempted to buy it. Looked a lot of watch for the money!
    Yes, I’ve seen it. Bloody lovely thing it is too.

Last edited by learningtofly; 29th December 2023 at 22:00.

Craftsman
    I've never seen one in the metal, but what I like is that it's recognisable as a Cartier but because of the case,it doesn't look like the more familiar Tank and Santos models which get much more marketing emphasis. Because of this, FWIW, I think it's interesting and an attractive watch. So if you go for it, please let us know how you find it and post some pictures. Thanks!

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I love the Drive and came very close to buying one for my 50th. I think the case, size and quality are just about perfect but i had other priorities for the money when the time came so it never happened. it is one of very few watches on my very short "I might actually buy one of those" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    I've never seen one in the metal, but what I like is that it's recognisable as a Cartier but because of the case,it doesn't look like the more familiar Tank and Santos models which get much more marketing emphasis. Because of this, FWIW, I think it's interesting and an attractive watch. So if you go for it, please let us know how you find it and post some pictures. Thanks!

Will do, and hope alls well.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    I love the Drive and came very close to buying one for my 50th. I think the case, size and quality are just about perfect but i had other priorities for the money when the time came so it never happened. it is one of very few watches on my very short "I might actually buy one of those" list.
    Yes, same for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

My thoughts exactly. I've never liked Roman numerals either but I can forgive them on that dial.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

That's a beauty (the Drive, not the Roadster monstrosity), good find! Would be great to be able to try one in person, but that seems unlikely sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    That's a beauty (the Drive, not the Roadster monstrosity), good find! Would be great to be able to try one in person, but that seems unlikely sadly.
    Yes, discontinued in ‘22 after a short 6 year run.

Goldsmiths have a new one available but there’s nothing in the UK on the used market (that I can find, at least).

Master
    Had never seen this one before but i must admit it’s absolutely stunning. Maybe goldsmith can give a discount on it?

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Had never seen this one before but i must admit it’s absolutely stunning. Maybe goldsmith can give a discount on it?
    That’s what I’m hoping!

Edit: Now out of stock, although it wasn’t when I first found it. That’s annoying.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st January 2024 at 21:46.

Craftsman
    I looked at buying a drive de cartie a few years ago and have to say it did sit very nicely on my wrist. In the end it was a little too dressy for my needs but a lovely wathc nonetheless.

A few years ago someone I did some work with had the regular Drive, no moonphase I think. The dial texture was phenomenal — leapt out across the room. It was a *big* watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I tried one of these on not long back. Felt too big for me but I do have small wrists

Thanks for the thoughts and comments, everyone. Much appreciated.

Well, having scoured the globe for the right moonphase, at the right price, and in the right location... I've concluded that there isn't one. I have picked up one of these, though, at a very good price and sourced within the UK. More when it lands.

Last edited by learningtofly; 2nd January 2024 at 17:38.

Master

Well, having scoured the globe for the right moonphase, at the right price, and in the right location... I've concluded that there isn't one. I have picked up one of these, though, at a very good price and sourced within the UK. More when it lands.

Excellent choice! I find as i get older I am moving towards more traditional watches - it's probably an eyesight thing! Looking forward to pics and your views on it.

Perhaps it's because it's a better pic, perhaps the simpler overall look, but whatever the reason I think that looks terrific, where the moonphase left me cold.

Look forward to seeing some wrist shots

Perhaps it's because it's a better pic, perhaps the simpler overall look, but whatever the reason I think that looks terrific, where the moonphase left me cold.

Look forward to seeing some wrist shots
    Well, I’d have preferred to bag the moonphase but the only one in the UK was a good few thousand pounds more than this one. Obviously it’s all a matter of personal taste and opinion as to which is nicer, though.

Just hoping that it doesn’t prove to be too big, although it can go back if that proves to be the case.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well, I’d have preferred to bag the moonphase but the only one in the UK was a good few thousand pounds more than this one. Obviously it’s all a matter of personal taste and opinion as to which is nicer, though.

Just hoping that it doesn’t prove to be too big, although it can go back if that proves to be the case.
    I like 'em both but prefer the moonphase. If the one you got didn't have the date window it'd be too close to call for me.

I did wonder if the crown on these would be a little fiddly to use at it looks small. There again that does go with the territory for dress watches, a dirty great crown just doesn't look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    I like 'em both but prefer the moonphase. If the one you got didn't have the date window it'd be too close to call for me.

I did wonder if the crown on these would be a little fiddly to use at it looks small. There again that does go with the territory for dress watches, a dirty great crown just doesn't look right.
    Indeed. I’m easy with the date function myself.

Very quick & dirty, in harsh artificial light and with the iPhone's wide angle lens accentuating the size (it's actually a perfect fit). I'll do a proper incoming post in due course, but it's a lovely thing for sure.

Great service from Watchfinder too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very quick & dirty, in harsh artificial light and with the iPhone's wide angle lens accentuating the size (it's actually a perfect fit).
    It does look bigger than I thought it would. But that's not a bad thing necessarily. Certainly a watch that makes a statement!

Master
    Looking forward to the full write up, it looks great. WF have a rose gold one too that looks very classy !

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Looking forward to the full write up, it looks great. WF have a rose gold one too that looks very classy !
    I did contemplate it, but wasn’t prepared to push the boat out that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    It does look bigger than I thought it would. But that's not a bad thing necessarily. Certainly a watch that makes a statement!
    In reality I have clear water beyond the lugs at each end. Easily fits my 6.75” wrist.

That said, it’s virtually all dial and so most certainly does have wrist presence.

I have always liked these! The shape and the dial is very unique. I have often thought about getting a gold one if anyone might have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Very quick & dirty, in harsh artificial light and with the iPhone's wide angle lens accentuating the size (it's actually a perfect fit). I'll do a proper incoming post in due course, but it's a lovely thing for sure.

Love it! Enjoy!

Dare you to stick it on a NATO

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    I have always liked these! The shape and the dial is very unique. I have often thought about getting a gold one if anyone might have one.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Cartie...artier/watches

Thank you.

Craftsman

That looks great! Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    That looks great! Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Thanks Mark. I'm very happy with it, although I've had to change the strap for now as I personally don't get on particularly well with the Cartier deployants. I'll probably pick up something new over the next few days, though (likely from the likes of Jean Rousseau or Camille Fournet). In the meantime, another quick & dirty on the iPhone.

Last edited by learningtofly; 11th January 2024 at 15:41.

Love that, very smart

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Love that, very smart
    Thank you!

Just another shot on the phone. I’m hoping to set my lights up over the weekend, though, as I have three or four incomings over the last few months that I need to shoot and post about.

Last edited by learningtofly; 11th January 2024 at 19:36.

Just another shot on the phone. I’m hoping to set my lights up over the weekend, though, as I have three or four incomings over the last few months that I need to shoot and post about.

Lovely!!

Blog Entries
    That’s very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Lovely!!

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    That’s very nice indeed.
    Cheers, both. Nice to go for one or two slightly different watches (this and the PanoInverse I picked up a while ago).

Watchfinder seem to have a moonphase in stock now…not sure If it was available when you were looking?

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Cartie...62/item/260271

Master
    Thanks Mark. I'm very happy with it, although I've had to change the strap for now as I personally don't get on particularly well with the Cartier deployants. I'll probably pick up something new over the next few days, though (likely from the likes of Jean Rousseau or Camille Fournet). In the meantime, another quick & dirty on the iPhone.

Always have had a soft spot for Cartier, as you have said "proper" manufacturer.

The Drive is one I have always admired, also the Ballon Bleu and Tank Americane.

I prefer this one to the moonphase, TBH it is absolutely gorgeous, that dial.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Watchfinder seem to have a moonphase in stock now…not sure If it was available when you were looking?

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Cartie...62/item/260271
    It wasn’t, but it’s a lot more than I paid for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    Always have had a soft spot for Cartier, as you have said "proper" manufacturer.

The Drive is one I have always admired, also the Ballon Bleu and Tank Americane.

I prefer this one to the moonphase, TBH it is absolutely gorgeous, that dial.......................
    Thanks, and I’m not feeling any sense of loss arising from going for this reference. I love those other two as well, by the way. In fact I’ve had a WTB for a Ballon Bleu for some time.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th January 2024 at 23:11.

Good article on Hodinkee in case anyone else fancies one.