closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My car is making noises.... power steering advice maybe?

Master

My car is making noises.... power steering advice maybe?

Evening all. Well, I've had a drive to the tip today binning the monumental amount of cardboard and paper from this week. Pulling off the drive my car was groaning at me (only ever done that on full-lock before now).
    The further I drove the worse it got, to the point I was getting the whining and groaning even under acceleration and braking in a straight line.
    I'll have a look tomorrow but I'm hoping it's a power steering issue - maybe as simple as a fluid change. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Bearing in mind its a 22 year old Jag, but still low miles (60k) and usually gives me absolutely no trouble with regular services and nothing spared. I need new tyres, and there's maybe 15k on the brake pads so I might change those too (I have a full set in the shed after accidentally double ordering last time, in lockdown when I had plenty of spare time for this sort of stuff).

I know there are plenty of mechanically minded members on here, anyone else had similar issues from the power steering? (I'm only leaning that way after online diagnosing, I've honestly no clue really with cars!)

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I'll have a look tomorrow but I'm hoping it's a power steering issue - maybe as simple as a fluid change.
    i'd suggest checking the level of your power steering fluid level first.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Could be as simple as PAS Belt Kev

Try spraying them all with WD40 with engine running to see if that helps.

Good luck

Jim

It’s a well known fact that Jags should not be used to go to the tip.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

In my case, the only danger is that they might want to keep it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    i'd suggest checking the level of your power steering fluid level first.

R
    This.

I had my power steering getting louder turned out to be a leak on one of the power steering pipes. Check for oil where you park.

Master
    Are you sure it’s the steering, groaning and whining I would have looked at the bearings first.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Only with a body in the boot.

Pop the bonnet, undo the cap, check the fluid level - easy.
    It will save getting the car up on a trolley jack and taking the wheels off to check discs , pads, steering rack or wheel bearings.
    It sounds very much like the pump is sucking in air, or has failed.
    If the fluid is low, check the colour. The Red fluid is ATF auto transmission oil. I believe there are 2x types of oil, and they can not be mixed.
    ATF oil is available at most auto suppliers. EBay = around £15 litre.
    I got 5-litres from a tractor suppliers parts counter when I was in a hurry due to grinding / groaning noises, with shuddering and vibration through the steering wheel.
    5-litre = £28 (£6/litre)

Does it make the noise when the car is stationary with the engine running? What happens if you then turn the steering wheel from lock to lock?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Does it make the noise when the car is stationary with the engine running? What happens if you then turn the steering wheel from lock to lock?

Hmmmm not so much stationary, although there is still a bit of noise that doesn't belong.
    Turning lock to lock is really bad, gets worse the deeper into the turn.

Huge thanks to everyone who's replied, and the very helpful PMs I recieved on the car as well. I've got it booked in with mu local mechanic who doesn't tend to fleece me so I'm hoping he diagnoses something very small, very simple and very cheap to get her purring again (although it's a 22 year old Jaguar, very little that goes wrong is small, simple or cheap)
    2024 might be the year I buy a proper car.

Hmmmm not so much stationary, although there is still a bit of noise that doesn't belong.
    Turning lock to lock is really bad, gets worse the deeper into the turn.

Huge thanks to everyone who's replied, and the very helpful PMs I recieved on the car as well. I've got it booked in with mu local mechanic who doesn't tend to fleece me so I'm hoping he diagnoses something very small, very simple and very cheap to get her purring again (although it's a 22 year old Jaguar, very little that goes wrong is small, simple or cheap)
    2024 might be the year I buy a proper car.
    Assuming there is no oil on the floor, as someone has already suggested topping up the oil is probably all you need to do ATF or sae5 pas oil is available from anywhere that sells car oils, it won't take much and will save you the garage bill.

I had very similar recently. It was an auxiliary pulley bearing.

Craftsman
    Yes just check the steering oil and top up at the petrol station, better to do that ASAP preceding your trip to the mechanic.
    Should be easy for him to find the leak and replace whatever needs to be.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had this recently on a Mercedes CLK, the seals on the steering rack had worn out which allowed fluid to leak , sadly in my case I required a new rack but fingers crossed you are luckier than I was….. obviously try topping up the fluid first but in all honesty if you’ve lost fluid then the issue clearly isn’t going to go away.

Blog Entries
    Normally, the PAS pump seals give up first but my Jimmy had a leaking steering box as well. No noises (well, I couldn't hear them over the normally already loud noises the car makes). The new box set me back 200 euros. But, unexpectedly, the steering improved immensely after the new one was installed.

Master
    I've had a check today and the steering fluid is only half full (the "min" level looks like it should be a good three quarters of the reservoir). I've ordered some decent fluid and I'll top it up myself, fingers double crossed that that sorts it out.

I've had a check today and the steering fluid is only half full (the "min" level looks like it should be a good three quarters of the reservoir). I've ordered some decent fluid and I'll top it up myself, fingers double crossed that that sorts it out.
    If it's only half full there is probably a leak somewhere, I'd advise having it all checked to be certain.

Sent from a technical device

Keep the bottle in the boot when you are finished.
    Our reservoir needs a monthly top up for a very slight weep.
    The top up will keep it going until the cam belt is due, and radiator comes off in a few years time to get access to the leaky pipe joint.

Note: the red fluid is clear and it either evaporates off, or soaks into the concrete drive.
    What looks like water spill is likely to be an oil stain patch with rainwater on top.

Cue the TZ Driving Standards Agency arriving to explain why I am not fit to be the road with an ever so slight power steering leak.
    Same as when I made a bad joke about falling of the motorbike if I drove it too slowly.
    Luckily for me they can "just" FRO.