closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hanhart 417es 42mm v 39mm

Master

Hanhart 417es 42mm v 39mm

Been looking at these since the reissue of the 42mm, but with the introduction of the 39mm I’m now stumped at which one to get.

Annoyingly I like 40-41mm watches, so neither is ideal. Has anyone had both and can explain which one they preferred to help push me over the line! Also did anyone achieve a discount?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I haven’t, but to introduce a sordid element of pragmatism, if you came to sell it later the 39mm would probably shift more easily as most can wear one, where a 42mm suits larger wrists better.

I can’t help feeling that if you do get replies from people who tried both as to which they prefer those may be largely determined by wrist size, so quite personal.

All that said, from a purely aesthetic perspective I think the dial of the 42mm looks better, because the larger size allows more spacing between the numerals. On the 39mm things look a little bit cramped by comparison.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 26th December 2023 at 12:44.

I like the look of these but I have no practical experience of either. However, I've owned and tried on many watches to date and I'm fast coming to the conclusion that case thickness is more important than case diameter. I note these are 13.3mm. Not terrible but the 39 may be a little too chunky. The 42 will wear the thickness better, especially with the bund strap in place. Wing span of just under 50mm means the 42 should wear ok on most wrists (assuming average of 7 inches). I guess what I'm saying is try both on and you may be surprised!

Master
    Thanks for the replies. I didn’t factor in the resale as I don’t really buy for investment, but definitely should as I do resell a lot of what I buy unfortunately!

Thickness is an issue, and I think seeing it in pictures on the 39 is what is holding me back on that one.

I’ll probably see if I can order both and return one to be sure. Just a pain either way. My wrist is 7 inch so I reckon both would work well.

Grand Master
    I would go 39mm.

I would go for the historically correct 39mm. Also 2mm of the thickness is from the glass so think it would be fine on the wrist.

Journeyman
    I have the 39mm and am very happy with it. Both of these watches have the same movement, IMHO the 39mm dial layout appears better balanced.

Since the bund strap is the same for both models, again IMHO this looks better too. I doubt you'll be wearing it with a suit so wouldn't worry about the thickness.

Master
    Thanks all, will probably get the 39 on black bund and probably the bracelet as well for the summer

Master
    In my experience, the 42mm 417es wears pretty small for its given dimensions, being only 46mm lug to lug. It wears bigger on the three-piece Bund strap, though my objection to that isn't so much what it adds to the width as what it adds to the thickness. While the three-piece looks good from the top in 2D pictures, on a 3D wrist it looks far better on a two-piece strap without the Bund flap - personally I would leave the 3 piece style for thinner watches where it doesn't emphasise the overall height so much.

I haven't had a Hanhard on a bracelet but have had a couple of Tutimas in similar style and I suspect the bracelet would work well on it too.

I never tried the 39mm ... it wouldn't be my cup of tea though I guess depends on your wrist size. The 39mm might well be 'historically accurate' but most people are a bit bigger these days than they were 70 years ago which, along with changes in taste, are the reason a lot of reissues are a bit bigger than the originals. A lot of nice pieces out there spoiled at the moment by being too small IMO.

Here's my 42mm on a custom strap I had made for a Big Pilot 43 (both are 21mm). The Hanhart looks a LOT smaller than the IWC (see the third pic) despite there being only 1mm in the measurement - it really wears quite small because of the short lug to lug, the wide bezel and the numbers being inset a bit to accomodate the really lovely sapphire crystal which is domed and raised in the manner of a plexi (a really nice touch when you see it up close):

Really regret selling mine, tempted by the Flyback it's hardly any more expensive in the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by kk; 27th December 2023 at 16:28.

Master
    I see what you mean and thanks for the detailed information. Back on the fence ffs.