closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2024 watch predictions

Grand Master
    Unless we’re talking about precious metals the raw material cost of a watch and its influence on price is negligible.

I’d like to see more watches offered in 36-37mm size, with a bigger option for the chunky monkeys or those who simply like the dinner plate look. A move towards slimmer cases would improve the aesthetics of many current offerings.

I’m too out of touch with the current market to make informed predictions, but I suspect this could be the year when we see some new Rolex models being discounted from new price (like the good old days), particularly at the grey dealers. Latest Rolex price rise could hasten that situation.

Omega will probably launch a couple of limited editions featuring James Bond and yet another moon/space-related Speedmaster . Fanboys will fawn over them and the well-heeled fanboys will actually purchase.

Good luck to all those aspiring to acquire these expensive trinkets, I’ll (probably) stick to the affordable vintage stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Unless we’re talking about precious metals the raw material cost of a watch and its influence on price is negligible.
    True but still existent. The production costs are proportionate to the size and if I recall correctly, the cnc machine time for a luxury watch case is around an hour, that's without all the finishing work. Make that £10 per watch saved overall and for a company like Rolex that would be an extra £10 million in their pockets. Their accounts dept would love that.

A move towards slimmer cases would improve the aesthetics of many current offerings.
    Couldn't agree more, quite why so many modern watches are so thick when not that many years ago manufacturers managed to make them relatively slim is a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Couldn't agree more, quite why so many modern watches are so thick when not that many years ago manufacturers managed to make them relatively slim is a mystery to me.
    Yup, bigger/ thicker they are, just means it's more likely gonna get a whack speaking for myself...also all that extra mass, drop the thing on any hard surface, tile etc, hmmm.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th January 2024 at 10:02.

Journeyman
    1) a continued softening of prices for pre-owned over-list, over-hyped models that shot up in price over the last few years.
    2) brands that offer decent value with lower overheads and decent marketing reach e.g Christopher Ward to do well.
    3) brands that don’t have 2) and continue to push prices up in line with, or above inflation to do less well and lose market share. I struggle to see the value in many brands list prices as it is.
    4) I have another year where I don’t manage to reduce the collection!

Tag Heuer to produce their version of the MoonSwatch but under the F1 banner - reminiscent of the 90s plastic ones. (Probably more of the worst kept secret rather than predictions)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app