closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heat gun glue - is it me ?

Master

Heat gun glue - is it me ?

This stuff seems to be used universally across all the life hack, DIY and other make and fix items across the internet. They make rockets from water bottles, bond all sorts of materials together, use it to remove broken keys from locks and loads of other stuff.

I’ve used it to glue an aerial cable into the edge of a door architrave - it stopped there about a day. I glued a table lamp cable across the top of a section of skirting board - it came off after a couple of days and gave up after trying to bond a 5mm plastic hanging basket sprinkler pipe to my upvc garage soffit. In each case I resorted to the trusty cable clips and hammer.

Thanks for listening

Master
    Aside from attaching scratching post covering to a post for our cat, using multiple sticks, I cannot make it work either - well, not without adding so much glue it becomes a joke!

Hot melt glue is used extensively in industry, however there are several different brands and types on the market

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Aside from attaching scratching post covering to a post for our cat, using multiple sticks, I cannot make it work either - well, not without adding so much glue it becomes a joke!
    That's the only thing I've used it successfully for as well....

Sent from my moto g54 5G using Tapatalk

Master
    I use it for non critical stuff tgat’s not under any real mechanical strain. Its handy for gluing fabric to wood , hemming curtains etc . I wouldn’t use it on anything too porous or under strain.

Stickslikesh*t trade version works well for a grab adhesive although I usually support it with tape or screws when its drying .

Our kid likes to cannibalise toy parts, old clothes fabric, cardboard, ''stuff'' generally and uses the hot glue gun to make scary masks.

used considerably for packaging in industry - we have about 400 or so kilos of pellets on each line hopper feeding a couple of sets of guns. much hotter and stickier than the rubbish stick a floppy candle in a handheld waste of time.

we do have the floppy handhelds for emergency repairs but they are a tick box exercise only.

IME cheap ones don’t give good results primarily as they don’t have enough power to heat the glue properly, you need at least 100w.

These are much better and good vfm:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-pkp...gun-240v/25512

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

There are glue sticks, and glue sticks. The cheaper ones do seem to make a very temporary bond (which is useful for certain applications).

I haven't tried them personally, but Arrow brand seem to be universally well approved. Available from Toolstation.

Tried many glue and bonding products, the best i found are two part epoxy ( used it to fix a broken car door handle that looked a lost cause ) and i never use normal super glue. I use super glue that is very slow curing, they usually sell a spray you use to speed it up. But i found it does go off by itself just fine, it just takes longer.
    The big advantage of it is that it does not go hard in the bottle like regular super glue has done on me several times in the past.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Tried many glue and bonding products, the best i found are two part epoxy ( used it to fix a broken car door handle that looked a lost cause ) and i never use normal super glue. I use super glue that is very slow curing, they usually sell a spray you use to speed it up. But i found it does go off by itself just fine, it just takes longer.
    The big advantage of it is that it does not go hard in the bottle like regular super glue has done on me several times in the past.
    Can you post the name of the one you use please? I’m fed up with throwing away hard bottles of glue & moved to the tiny tubes in a multipack, but they manage to glue the lids on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Can you post the name of the one you use please? I’m fed up with throwing away hard bottles of glue & moved to the tiny tubes in a multipack, but they manage to glue the lids on.
    its a 50g bottle called plastic mate adhesive, if you search this on ebay " Plastic Mate Glue & Aerosol " it should be top of the list and it blue and red bottle and aerosol can set.

I dont use the aerosol, i just use the glue bottle as if it was a very slow cure super glue.

it is marketed for plastic by the name but i find it to have identical sticking properties to regular super glue except the cure time and not going hard in the bottle i have had for 6+ years now.

50g is also loads, the little super glue bottles are about 5 grams

Master
    I might look into better quality glue sticks then