closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing

Strictly Come Dancing

What a dreadful blight on humanity , but , this evening , I have a full 2 hours to do what I choose , with out interruption. Clouds , silver linings etc.... I have re-titled it " After Dinner Mince" .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sadly I’m watching it and I’m trying to work out how someone that’s already a dancer, gets to compete against soap opera actors.

And why does Craig RH always give Nikita and Leighton higher scores even when they make mistakes eg drop a hat on the floor.

Jim

I've tried my best to avoid it this year but I agree entirely about Leighton. Not only a trained dancer but one that was schooled at the most prestigious performing arts school in the UK. Also a West End and Broadway performer. It's been a joke from the start.

Let's hope the great British public do the right thing and ensure Ellie or Bobby wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Sadly I’m watching it and I’m trying to work out how someone that’s already a dancer, gets to compete against soap opera actors.

And why does Craig RH always give Nikita and Leighton higher scores even when they make mistakes eg drop a hat on the floor.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post

Jim
    As much as it pains me to say it, he ticks more boxes. The BBC are so obvious about it and it will end up being the end of them. I’ve had to watch it for years but not so much this series as the family have finally realised what a con it is. Every year you can see who they’ve decided will win from very early on, they do keep one popular outsider in for a while just so they can perform in the mythical far away land of Blackpool, but then ditch them straight away. This years victim of the charade was Angela Rippon.

A worthy winner!!

It’s dire.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    It’s dire.
    Thank goodness I'm not alone out here...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've tried my best to avoid it this year but I agree entirely about Leighton. Not only a trained dancer but one that was schooled at the most prestigious performing arts school in the UK. Also a West End and Broadway performer. It's been a joke from the start.

Let's hope the great British public do the right thing and ensure Ellie or Bobby wins.
    And they did. Deserved winner if the ‘competition’ is what it’s meant to be: take a non dancer and try to make them better or even accomplished as Ellie and Bobby have both proven.

Well done young lady.

Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    A worthy winner!!
    Agreed

Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    It’s dire.
    Agreed

Master
    I do watch it. I'd find it a lot more palatable without all the gushing sentimentality.

My wife, who has the most horrendous taste in TV which includes soap operas, unknown "celebs" stuck in jungles with those creep Geordies etc. loves "Strictly"

I rest my case.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

It's up there with celebrity baking, sewing, painting and pottery making as dirge for the masses, It's the kind of psychological torture Orwell would devise for me, and thinking about it - probably the underlying reason I no longer visit my mother in law.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Strictly Come Dancing

I’m pretty much forced to watch it as my 20 year old son - who has Down’s and quite severe learning disabilities - absolutely loves it, and has done since the first series. Having watched reality/Celebrity TV with interest 20 years ago I haven’t watched any at all apart from this in the last 15 years - and whilst I do find Strictly a bit gushing and PC I really do quite enjoy watching how people develop the skill to an incredibly high level in a few short months. Admittedly some arrive with experience, but some have none at all and everyone seems to have fun and it’s light TV when the world is generally doom and gloom. I have no idea why some people get their knickers in a twist over it. My son just sees all the colour, music and happiness and gets so excited, but he sees fun in everything. I envy him for that!
    Last edited by RobDad; 17th December 2023 at 13:23.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m pretty much forced to watch it as my 20 year old son - who has Down’s and quite severe learning disabilities - absolutely loves it, and has done since the first series. Having watched reality/Celebrity TV with interest 20 years ago I haven’t watched any at all in the last 15 years - and whilst I do find Strictly a bit gushing and PC I really do quite enjoy watching how people develop the skill to an incredibly high level in a few short months. Admittedly some arrive with experience, but some have none at all and everyone seems to have fun and it’s light TV when the world is generally doom and gloom. I have no idea why some people get their knickers in a twist over it. My son just sees all the colour, music and happiness and gets so excited, but he sees fun in everything. I envy him for that!
    I can't abide any of the 'reality' programmes especially the 'celebrity' doing stuff badly ones. I think it's just cheap dumbing down TV for the masses when TV could do so much more. However knowing it brings happiness to your son does cheer me up. At least now I will think of him enjoying it as I flick past it!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I generally agree in regard to the dumbing down, it’s just cheap rubbish generally and I’m shocked that people are still interested! Harry does love it though, so I’m glad it exists. Funny thing is he’s recently taken up boxing (against punchbags and a bit of light sparring) at his social care setting which he also loves - so it’s a mix of boxing and sequins in our house! I suspect he quite likes the female dancers tbh - I had Pan’s People, he’s got Strictly!

Master
    This programme is still running! Wife hasn’t watched in years, when she did I reached for headphones and the laptop so after a couple of series she used to record it and watch it on Sunday when I was out.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    My wife, who has the most horrendous taste in TV which includes soap operas, unknown "celebs" stuck in jungles with those creep Geordies etc. loves "Strictly"

I rest my case.
    If people think the ‘Jungle’ is crap take a look at ‘Survivor’ on BBC.

Master
    There was shag all else to watch on a Saturday night. Far better than watching those money grabbing gits in the jungle.

Utterly crap programme but the red haired Aussie is a fantastic dancer…

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yes utter pap but the 10 minutes that Dianne is on is well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it, he ticks more boxes. The BBC are so obvious about it and it will end up being the end of them. I’ve had to watch it for years but not so much this series as the family have finally realised what a con it is. Every year you can see who they’ve decided will win from very early on, they do keep one popular outsider in for a while just so they can perform in the mythical far away land of Blackpool, but then ditch them straight away. This years victim of the charade was Angela Rippon.
    It may come as a surprise to you but gay people and black people do exist in society. Presumably you'd rather they were hidden away?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    It may come as a surprise to you but gay people and black people do exist in society. Presumably you'd rather they were hidden away?
    I think it would be good if the BBC just treated them like everyone else, instead of obsessing over their race and sexuality. The fixation with identity politics is really tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I think it would be good if the BBC just treated them like everyone else, instead of obsessing over their race and sexuality. The fixation with identity politics is really tiresome.
    Isn't suggesting that someone is only appearing on a TV show because of their race and sexuality the very definition of "identity politics"?

The obsession with "identity politics" comes mainly from the right side of the political spectrum. Spend 2 minutes reading the Daily Mail, Express, etc or on Social Media and you'll find plenty of evidence of that.

Craftsman
    It has lost the magic

Good for you RobDad. My 10 year old likes it so will occasionally watch with her.

Surprised we are 25 posts in and none of the forums intellectuals have chimed in with 'bread and circuses'. Although it would be in Latin to demonstrate their intellectual prowess obvs!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

My Chtistmas day is being spent with a few Strictly fans.................

Even the kitchen won't be a refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post

Surprised we are 25 posts in and none of the forums intellectuals have chimed in with 'bread and circuses'. Although it would be in Latin to demonstrate their intellectual prowess obvs!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Well you have so job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I stopped watching several series back. Used to be quite fun watching international rugby players have a go at the argentine tango, but youtubers and theatre school educated soap stars hold no interest for me.

Have to agree with the sentiment here though...

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Probably not a discussion for the G&D but no, not at all. Equality means equality for all, it means employing the best person for the job regardless of their race, gender or sexuality, and it means judging people fairly.

I think I’d derive more pleasure from nailing my scrotum to the table and liberally dousing with vitriol.

I'm looking for the thread where a bunch of middle aged grouches can express their dislike of popular culture and parade it as if it demonstrates their superiority over the plebs. Has anyone seen it?

I'm looking for the thread where a middle aged grouch expresses their dislike of lighthearted comment and parades it as if it demonstrates their superiority over the plebs. Has anyone seen it?