closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A long shot - shower

A long shot - shower

My shower doesn’t seem to get hot enough. A plumber has popped by and he reckons it’s the thermostat and therefore I need to change the cartridge.

We can’t find any paperwork for the shower and therefore don’t know which cartridge. Does anyone recognise this shower?!!

Any help would be gratefully received!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I've changed ours a couple of times.
    There will be a grub screw that holds the cap with the lever on. Once that is off you will be able to see the cartridge but probably not get it out. Another layer of the silver trim will probably unscrew (that castellated bit) and then you'll be able to get a large socket onto the cartridge and remove it. Having the cartridge in your hand doesn't mean you'll be able to identify it but a plumbers merchant may. Don't forget to switch the water off first!

Do a google image search for shower mixer and scroll down through the images (worked for me)

Or, as above - see if you can release the knobs and you might get a better clue as to the ID from the internals.

Craftsman
    Without a makers name on the shower or paperwork and or receipt it's very difficult.
    You may have to take the cartridge out and try and search for something like it.
    This is becoming more and more of a problem with brassware where there is no product identification.

Go for “Shower mixer chrome round” in google images

refine the search by clicking the button filter for ‘concealed thermostatic mixer”

look for the one that has the same steps and handle type/lengths

If you find one- click on it and get all the details, diagrams etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    I've changed ours a couple of times.
    There will be a grub screw that holds the cap with the lever on. Once that is off you will be able to see the cartridge but probably not get it out. Another layer of the silver trim will probably unscrew (that castellated bit) and then you'll be able to get a large socket onto the cartridge and remove it. Having the cartridge in your hand doesn't mean you'll be able to identify it but a plumbers merchant may. Don't forget to switch the water off first!
    This is going to be the easiest approach other is no branding visible. You out get lucky and find some branding inside.

This removal process is exactly what I did with a Grohe unit that had similar issue.

Turned out not to be the thermostat on ours, but was the hot side of the pump in the loft failing. If you have a pump, might be worth a pop into the loft to check, but then I’d assume the plumber would have thought of that too!

Good luck with the fix and hope you have a second shower. Not the weather for cold water starts to the day!

It does look a bit like my old Grohe (from 2008) but this is branded on the front. It was a right pain (which is why I have a pic!?) Took it out in the end because of the bother.
    Maybe yours is a copy? Sorry that doesn't make it any easier..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    It does look a bit like my old Grohe (from 2008) but this is branded on the front. It was a right pain (which is why I have a pic!?) Took it out in the end because of the bother.
    Maybe yours is a copy? Sorry that doesn't make it any easier..

Looks like mine; my learning is I will go exposed next time vs hidden - much easier to access, or replace as the pipe widths are standard.

I had it replaced with a bar type - Grohe Grohtherm TMV2 800 Thermostatic Shower Mixer - the plumber said they are more reliable and easier to replace if you need a new one.

Thanks all for replying - at work at the mo but will Google search first before trying to take apart!

We will be redoing the bathroom in the new year but need this fixed as we have a house full over Christmas!

I forgot to say - if you live in a development where a lot of the other houses were built at the same time..... print out a pic of your shower mixer and ask around the neighbourhood. Someone may have got the original documents, or had cause to have one repaired in the interim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I forgot to say - if you live in a development where a lot of the other houses were built at the same time..... print out a pic of your shower mixer and ask around the neighbourhood. Someone may have got the original documents, or had cause to have one repaired in the interim.
    Wry good shout that!