closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What does the fraternity here think: Rat-rod or restore?

Blog Entries

What does the fraternity here think: Rat-rod or restore?

Saab-minded me hopped over to a guy who had an item made of unobtanium: a spoiler/boot lid for a late Saab 96. And he is also the guy who owns an suicide-doors Saab 93. I had seen it befor (and posted a few quick-shots here). But now he had it pulled from the rubble and is assessing what he's going to do.

The car was -literally- pulled from a mountain top in Greece(!) And the paint has suffered from the intense weather there. The floors are rotten and it needs a full technical rebuild before the Dutch DVLA will hand over a Dutch license plate. That will take a lot of money and time. Luckily, nearly all parts can be found or reproduced (floors etc). The seats are rotten, but (e.g.) the dash and wiring is complete!!

But... when I had a close look at the car, I started to doubt my own mantra of 'restore, restore'. I think the flaky paint is almost a piece of art! I confess that it start to like this Rat-Rod look! What do you think?

[url=https://postimg.cc/v43Hkr6k]

[url=https://postimg.cc/2q1mtPYL]

Why not have one mint restored one (the one you already own) and have this as the car you don't mind parking at the supermarket etc? Best of both worlds. If, of course, in the future you or someone else wants to have it looking all restored and shiny, the bodywork can be done then.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I'd echo the above. Whilst I'm generally an advocate of perfection there is a little something to be said for colouring over the lines so to speak.

Blog Entries
    Oh noo, it's not mine! And it's not going to be. I have enough on my hands with my current stable. I only discussed this with the owner and I promised to ask around (e.g. here) about the vision on Rat-Rods or Resto.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That flaky paint would drive me nuts.

Master
    The auto equivalent of a tropical dial. If it were mine I would be very tempted to go down the rat-rod route.

Not knowing the technicalities do they apply a clear lacquer to prevent further deterioration or is it left to continue the "patination"?

I’m not a fan of the rusty look, seem popular on small trucks, Grey primer looks great though

No - hate rat rods.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I hate rat rods with a passion. I'm no originality freak, my 63 Sprite has a roll bar, a datsun gearbox and the paint is begining to look tatty. However the rat look is just so cliched. Done well it costs as much as a proper restoration so why not just do that, done badly it's naff squared.

Did I mention I hate it. First few times it was done it was original and clever but it's a fashion whose time has past.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    No - hate rat rods.
    +1, very rarely do they look right. An American classic that's rot-free but has baked in the sun for decades can lend itself to the rat-rod look, but otherwise it's a no-no. If the car was rot-free it might be worth considering, but seeing as it needs full restoration I don't see any advantage in preserving the patina.

Love the idea of rat-rodding that, with some seriously capable restomod underpinnings - 0 show / 10 go

Master
    Rat rod.

Blog Entries
    As you can imagine, I asked the same on Saab related sites as well. And, the sentiment is quite similar to what I read here. With the same arguments and opinions.

Again, this is not my car and I will not do an attempt to buy it. My (semi)professional eye sees that cutting out the rot, making patches and welding them in, will take between 110 and 140 hrs. Even with my contacts and 'mate's rates', it will cost between 4500 and 5000 euros to get a proper bodyshell again. (And, I won't have many friends left after that; even professional metal workers hate working that long on one project...).

The guy who's giving it a try, has plenty of time and his social life is designed for this sort of jobs (not making fun of him, it's just a fact).

Cost benefit analysis required here. How much does it cost to just make it safe and usable, vs how more much to make it pristine, vs how much either would be worth at the end of the process.

An alternative to be to mod it. For example drop a Saab 2.3 Turbo motor in it, blow the arches and do a Alfaholic/Singer type restro. Which would cost loads, but it would be very cool and rather unique.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Cost benefit analysis required here. How much does it cost to just make it safe and usable, vs how more much to make it pristine, vs how much either would be worth at the end of the process.

An alternative to be to mod it. For example drop a Saab 2.3 Turbo motor in it, blow the arches and do a Alfaholic/Singer type restro. Which would cost loads, but it would be very cool and rather unique.
    That engine swap has been done, yes. Those Scandinavian boys and girls with their heated workshops and long winters are masters when it comes to tinkering!

A friend came across an original Saab engine, built by the Saab Rally Department. When he bought 40 crates (!) of old Saab stuff.

This engine is special. Complete with papers, dyne test, even the name of guy who built it. But it was never used! It only ran on the dyno. So I posted this on an international website. Within minutes, complete Finland sat straight up and paid attention! I'd posted a pic of the holiest of the holiest! Not only a Department-built engine etc., but also one with Solex carbs and not Webers. Long story short: the Weber manifold is stronger, but the Solex version has a better 'dizzy' and has less chance of screwing up the ignition timing. 2 Fins are on their way to the Netherlands with a well-filled wallet. (Note the professionally welded frame/pedestal under the engine!).

And tonight I was contacted by a guy who lives close-by and he asked me if I could help him selling his nearly-finished Saab 93B. For some reason he needs to sell it. I'm going to have a look, I think. And no, I'm not buying it!

Last edited by thieuster; 14th December 2023 at 23:52.

Master
    Nice Amazon, fancy a 5 door as my daily driver.

Do whatever to it, as long as the base car is preserved in a condition where it could be restored to original condition in the future.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd far prefer it fully restored - the rat rod look is fine on some vehicles but the state of that bodywork is too unattractive for me.

As for the cost/benefit aspect - maybe the owner is sufficiently wealthy not to have to worry about that sort of consideration.

I think that looks cool but I personally like the 'ratted' look. IMO a couple of layers of clear coat to protect the flaking and any further deterioration and that would look fantastic!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    rat rod

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Love the idea of rat-rodding that, with some seriously capable restomod underpinnings - 0 show / 10 go
    Agree 100% that’s what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That engine swap has been done, yes. Those Scandinavian boys and girls with their heated workshops and long winters are masters when it comes to tinkering!

A friend came across an original Saab engine, built by the Saab Rally Department. When he bought 40 crates (!) of old Saab stuff.

This engine is special. Complete with papers, dyne test, even the name of guy who built it. But it was never used! It only ran on the dyno. So I posted this on an international website. Within minutes, complete Finland sat straight up and paid attention! I'd posted a pic of the holiest of the holiest! Not only a Department-built engine etc., but also one with Solex carbs and not Webers. Long story short: the Weber manifold is stronger, but the Solex version has a better 'dizzy' and has less chance of screwing up the ignition timing. 2 Fins are on their way to the Netherlands with a well-filled wallet. (Note the professionally welded frame/pedestal under the engine!).

And tonight I was contacted by a guy who lives close-by and he asked me if I could help him selling his nearly-finished Saab 93B. For some reason he needs to sell it. I'm going to have a look, I think. And no, I'm not buying it!
    The old Solex 40's!

Haven't seen those for a long while.

Back in the day when I had my carb and tuning business they were a rarity against the DCOE's.

Fitted to BMW 2002's IIRC.
    Cheers,
    Neil.