closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for information about a 1960ish Girard Perregaux

Craftsman

Looking for information about a 1960ish Girard Perregaux

I was recently gifted a Girard Perregaux watch that used to belong to my grandfather & I am trying to establish what model it might be. ( pics attached).
    The watch came with a receipt for the watch dated 1960 and another receipt for a gold strap dated 1962.
    My dad seems to think the watch was possibly bought second hand so may be older than 1960. Has anyone come across anything similar who may be able to shed a bit more light on it?
    Also, where would be a good place to get it serviced. I haven’t wound it since receiving it, but would like to see it running. I guess as its not run for a significant number of years it would benefit from a clean inside and a dab of oil.
    Thanks
    Howard

Looks to be gold so possibly no model could be Dennison or shackman no idea unless you can open the back
    There will be a case ref number so you can do some searches from this , to find similar dials ect
    Girard do offer a historic check but when I last inquired about 3 or 4 years back now there is a charge for this service . I never bothered as info online suggests it's not that accurate, as records were lost due to various times the company was sold .
    It's a lovely watch from a great maker I would definitely get it sorted .

Craftsman
    Thanks for taking the time to respond Robbo12

Lovely heirloom.

I doubt there is a model name as such. In the past GP weren't in the higher echelons as they are now.

From the assumed date it may well have been imported as a movement/dial which was a way round the old luxury tariffs and if a British case will have hallmarks allowing it to be dated pretty exactly.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info Neil.C .
    Just sent a few enquiries to a few watch repairers on the BHI list to see if they can do a light service on it. Id like to get it running and put on a leather or aligator strap.

Quote Originally Posted by baz1 View Post
    Thanks for the info Neil.C .
    Just sent a few enquiries to a few watch repairers on the BHI list to see if they can do a light service on it. Id like to get it running and put on a leather or aligator strap.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Provided nothing’s broken this should be straightforward to service, it’s always good practice to fit a new mainspring if the correct one is available, unfortunately the list of discontinued mainsprings gets longer every month so there’s a case for sticking with what’s fitted unless it’s in poor condition (or broken), in which case something close has to be fitted and that requires a degree of judgement.

Repolishing the crystal and cleaning the case and bracelet will work wonders, 9ct gold always needs a clean with a rouge cloth periodically because it tarnishes.

Just had a very similar Longines gold watch on an identical bracelet given to me to sort out for a friend’s dad, can’t get a mainspring for that one and there’s nothing similar that’ll fit, hopefully the old one will be OK or I’ll be trawling the internet, sometimes I spend more time searching for parts than fixing the watches!

Baz1 if no joy with Bhi , I can highly recommend Walkerwek here.