closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else been lusting after the AlmazanKitchen Serbian chef's knife???

Anyone else been lusting after the AlmazanKitchen Serbian chef's knife???

If you're a foodie you should be watching the Almazan Kitchen YouTube channel. It's mouth wateringly good.

Anyway, I've wanted their chef's knife since I saw it for the first time; especially now, in fact, as I bought a Global knife block a few weeks ago and want to try to avoid using that set's chef's knife for heavy duty chopping. Cue the Black Friday sales, and this arrived from overseas yesterday. Saved myself ¢50 in the sale (in fact, it's still reduced), and can't wait to use it!

Anyone else have a particularly large chopper? The Chinese seem to do some very decent ones.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th December 2023 at 15:13.

Nah, it´s a poor work man who blames his tools...cooking- and the associated accoutrements has gone the way of Golf...this, that, the next new thing´ll be sure to raise your game...I can completely see- understand, why you´d like it.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th December 2023 at 10:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Nah, it´s a poor work man who blames his tools...cooking- and the associated accoutrements has gone the way of Golf...this, that, the next new thing´ll be sure to raise your game...
    What are you going on about?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What are you going on about?
    It´s a load of nonsense you´ve bought into, ´´hand forged in Serbian Wildfire´´, forged by a very muscular Viking type according to the website, to Valhalla and Beyond!. But you seem to really enjoy it, so good luck to you, enjoy your new knife.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th December 2023 at 10:15.

It´s a load of nonsense you´ve bought into, ´´hand forged in Serbian Wildfire´´, forged by a very muscular Viking type according to the website, to Valhalla and Beyond!. But you seem to really enjoy it, so good luck to you, enjoy your new knife.
    You really are a lovely bloke. Thanks for the input too.

If it is just for chopping difficult joints - I can understand the purpose, but I suspect there will be a lot of purchases where they are used for a kind of 'ceremony/pageant' of "I use a Serbian chef's knife for everything" - when the owners have a good selection of decent knives where each knife actually suits the purpose.

("ceremony/pageant" isn't the correct term, maybe call it a "display")

Also if using one knife only- for a decent meal preparation, it will require constant washing.

But - let us know how you get on with it, using it for what it excels at.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If it is just for chopping difficult joints - I can understand the purpose, but I suspect there will be a lot of purchases where they are used for a kind of 'ceremony/pageant' of "I use a Serbian chef's knife for everything" - when the owners have a good selection of decent knives where each knife actually suits the purpose.

("ceremony/pageant" isn't the correct term, maybe call it a "display")

Also if using one knife only- for a decent meal preparation, it will require constant washing.

But - let us know how you get on with it, using it for what it excels at.
    Will do. I'm thinking it's more a heavy duty knife for my own use case (think portioning chicken/turkey/fowl, prepping anything with heavy bones that could damage the Global, etc) , although it really is quite multi-purpose in reality.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th December 2023 at 12:20.

Nah, it´s a poor work man who blames his tools...cooking- and the associated accoutrements has gone the way of Golf...this, that, the next new thing´ll be sure to raise your game...I can completely see- understand, why you´d like it.
    Like you I/we don't get too excited by the latest ''must have'', for example while others enthuse about their latest amazing coffee machines we're still using one of these...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Like you I/we don't get too excited by the latest ''must have'', for example while others enthuse about their latest amazing coffee machines we're still using one of these...
    LOLZ. How is a chef's knife of this type a "latest must have"? They've been around for decades, and are used by chef's and enthusiastic home cooks the world over.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th December 2023 at 10:23.

LOLZ. How is a chef's knife of this type a "latest must have"? They've been around for years, and are used by chef's and enthusiastic home cooks the world over.
    LOLZ indeed,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Seems a bit of overkill for chopping my spring onions.

However, next time I am butchering an ox.

LOLZ. How is a chef's knife of this type a "latest must have"? They've been around for years, and are used by chef's and enthusiastic home cooks the world over.
    You described yourself ´´lusting ´´after it following watching some show...for ´´ foodies´´, with the implication from yourself that it´s a must watch show...I myself cook most days and I love eating good and varied foods, one of life´s great pleasures,,, but rarely if never do I feel compelled to watch others cook, well not since Bobby Flay leapt upon his cooking prep surface during an episode of Iron Chef to the horror of all...some things just can't be unseen.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th December 2023 at 11:46.

Right, that should be most of the naysayers out of the way.

Over to the cooks, and what they use for heavy duty chopping, then...

I like to handle a nice chopper...

Bought the chef's knife, utility knife and (a bit of a luxury, admittedly) bread knife, all damascus steel. This will probably get me mocked, but I haven't sharpened them in 9 years. The utility knife still slices a wet tomato on contact, and the bread knife has no issue with soft warm bread straight from the oven.

Buy once, be mocked many times. I mean, be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Seems a bit of overkill for chopping my spring onions.

However, next time I am butchering an ox.
    Just bring an axe, saw, most homes already have one or two...though mebbe not forged in ´´´wildfire´´

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

Bought the chef's knife, utility knife and (a bit of a luxury, admittedly) bread knife, all damascus steel. This will probably get me mocked, but I haven't sharpened them in 9 years. The utility knife still slices a wet tomato on contact, and the bread knife has no issue with soft warm bread straight from the oven.

Lovely, Paul. You're in the right part of the world for quality knives, too.

Will do. I'm thinking it's more a butchering knife for my own use case, although it really is quite multi-purpose in reality.
    What will you next be butchering?

Master
    FFS

bloke posts about niche item they are excited about receiving (on a website about niche items) and there is a pile on from the i dont get it crowd,

if you dont get it move along, some people will be interested and engage, leave them to it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    FFS

bloke posts about niche item they are excited about receiving (on a website about niche items) and there is a pile on from the i dont get it crowd,

if you dont get it move along, some people will be interested and engage, leave them to it.
    '.....But I don't want guitar lessons!!!!!!'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    '.....But I don't want guitar lessons!!!!!!'
    i dont get it is also a RG reference, just finished rewatching extras for the 10th time !

FFS

Exactly. Sadly this is par for the course, and my fault for feeding/engaging.

I think the deepest I've ever been with a diving watch on was about two metres and I probably have five watches allegedly capable of 300 metres. What's with all the criticism of Tony's enthusiasm for a new knife?

I used to be a chef, not a particularly good one but I used to have to swing knives around for a living. We had some pretty serious cleavers for the heavy work but these days I just go to a proper butcher and ask them to do it for me. It's in Stockbridge, between Winchester and Salisbury, and has sawdust on the floor. The meat is absolutely top class:

http://johnrobinsonbutcher.co.uk/

I have a nice Henckels knife that cost me a week's wages back in the day, a couple of nice Globals and a few others of varying sizes, all kept properly sharp. This thread has served to remind me I want one of these:

https://www.hartsofstur.com/zwilling...22058df8e578af
    "A man of little significance"

Exactly. Sadly this is par for the course, and my fault for feeding/engaging.
    I was a too blunt. I'm sorry, have fun and happy cooking with your new acquisition.

We spent a fortune on these about six years ago, I would know what to do with anything else

The main problems with these kind of posts they make me realize I need one, NO !! I want one !! :)

Superb Paul. It also means that either you have a SWMBO that knows what she is doing, or who isn't allowed to touch them.

Lovely, Paul. You're in the right part of the world for quality knives, too.
    Seki is indeed a nice part of the world if you want quality knives. The respect Japan has for craftsmanship is second to none when talking about a country. But we do have a few places in Europe that can offer top quality as well: Sheffield (UK), Thiers (F), Solingen (D), Toledo (E)...
    The difference may be that those places also produce very ordinary knives.

What is surprising (to me) with your knife Tony is the sheepsfoot shape, because it removes mass at the tip, which is where you want it for a chopper (far from the wrist for momentum). It's probably ideal for chopping vegetables but I would not use it for butchering (I haven't watched the Youtube channel, so if he does, more power to him). It is probably also an excellent slicer on both meat and veg. Plus, if it's an artisan blade, it is also the satisfaction of owning something handmade rather than on a production line.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 12th December 2023 at 11:48.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I do a lot of cooking and have a total of 20 kitchen knives, each a separate tool for a separate job. Some expensive, (for very specific roles), most medium priced, (for every day tasks), and some dirt cheap, (because it's stupid to pay more than necessary for such as paring knives, fruit knives etc).

Like all tools, buy for specific tasks - you wouldn't use a flat screwdriver on a Philips screw would you? Well, I guess you could at a pinch, but why make it more difficult than it needs to be?! There's no one knife that does it all.

Not sure what you intend to use that knife for Tony, looks to be too bulky for most cooking tasks, something more akin to what my cleaver would be used for?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Looks a beast. My BIL who's a fantastic professional chef swears by Victorinox for general use but he also owns a set of Miyabi knives which are his pride and joy.
    Always good when he visits because all our crap knives get sharpened as he uses them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Superb Paul. It also means that either you have a SWMBO that knows what she is doing, or who isn't allowed to touch them.

Seki is indeed a nice part of the world if you want quality knives. The respect Japan has for craftsmanship is second to none when talking about a country. But we do have a few places in Europe that can offer top quality as well: Sheffield (UK), Thiers (F), Solingen (D), Toledo (E)...
    The difference may be that those places also produce very ordinary knives.

What is surprising (to me) with your knife Tony is the sheepsfoot shape, because it removes mass at the tip, which is where you want it for a chopper (far from the wrist for momentum). It's probably ideal for chopping vegetables but I would not use it for butchering (I haven't watched the Youtube channel, so if he does, more power to him). It is probably also an excellent slicer on both meat and veg. Plus, if it's an artisan blade, it is also the satisfaction of owning something handmade rather than on a production line.
    From curiosity I watched some of the short clip on the website and the chap appears doing survival/wild cooking, wood fires, cooks in/on a stump at one point, flat rock over the fire as a griddle, has the knife with him...would be useful on the woods, it looks very swish, real high end wild cooking...did look tasty...as if Bourdain met Mears and birthed a chef.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th December 2023 at 12:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I think the deepest I've ever been with a diving watch on was about two metres and I probably have five watches allegedly capable of 300 metres. What's with all the criticism of Tony's enthusiasm for a new knife?

I used to be a chef, not a particularly good one but I used to have to swing knives around for a living. We had some pretty serious cleavers for the heavy work but these days I just go to a proper butcher and ask them to do it for me. It's in Stockbridge, between Winchester and Salisbury, and has sawdust on the floor. The meat is absolutely top class:

http://johnrobinsonbutcher.co.uk/

I have a nice Henckels knife that cost me a week's wages back in the day, a couple of nice Globals and a few others of varying sizes, all kept properly sharp. This thread has served to remind me I want one of these:

https://www.hartsofstur.com/zwilling...22058df8e578af
    Where were you chefing, Simon?

Master
    I love my Global chef knife, it is my go to knife for most tasks aside from boning etc.

I must use it 90% of the time I’m chopping or cutting things. A good regular sharpen and it’s always amazingly good to use.

Is this one a substitute for a chefs knife or as some form of cleaver? Love the look of them, just no space left on the global magnet (and the handle won’t match lol)

i dont get it is also a RG reference, just finished rewatching extras for the 10th time !
    Sorry, my fault. It was one of those 'if you know you know' quips.

Video is NSFW with sound on.

My parents bought me a set of sabatier knives about 15yrs ago and the chef's knife is my go to for most prep. I do have a cleaver but it's only for the more 'robust' jobs...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Sorry, my fault. It was one of those 'if you know you know' quips.

Video is NSFW with sound on.

sorry re reading my post back it doesnt make sense,

i knew yours was a RG quip, what i was saying was, the "i dont get it" crew also is:

Where were you chefing, Simon?
    Mid-1990s, Cardiff, a place called Metropolis.
    "A man of little significance"

Apprentice
    The shape and apparent heft of the thing might make it a little difficult to use efficiently? I find a more typical cook's kitchen knife around 20 cm long, like the Wüsthof Ikon, particularly good from an ergonomic and build quality perspective. I am also guilty of having some very pretty looking (and sharp) Damascus steel type Japanese blades, but always gravitate towards more 'normal' knives - so I suppose I'll have to admit to being seduced by shinyness in the choice of some of my kitchen utensils. Let us know how you get on!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    My parents bought me a set of sabatier knives about 15yrs ago and the chef's knife is my go to for most prep. I do have a cleaver but it's only for the more 'robust' jobs...
    I do quite fancy a cleaver for the more robust jobs, perfect description for it. Although rarely used I imagine as my butcher tends to do that for me.

I’ve got a 40yr old heavy duty sabatier chef knife that I use for that currently & have it sharpened to 20deg so I’m not trying to keep it overly honed.

Really only has to manage with chicken thigh bones when cleaving, so fairly light loads on the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I do quite fancy a cleaver for the more robust jobs, perfect description for it. Although rarely used I imagine as my butcher tends to do that for me.

I’ve got a 40yr old heavy duty sabatier chef knife that I use for that currently & have it sharpened to 20deg so I’m not trying to keep it overly honed.

Really only has to manage with chicken thigh bones when cleaving, so fairly light loads on the blade.
    I think mine mainly gets used for scaring the children

If you enjoy the Almazan, you might like to check out "the men with the pot"
    Also on YouTube.
    Also outdoor.
    Northern Ireland, actually.
    Also with dog.
    And, yes, they'll also sell you their cleaver.

I'm not making this up, honest.

has anyone actually clicked the OPs link? it leads me to a twitter account for FabrizioRomano , false advertising - knife look ok though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

Surely the MANUMENT coffee machine must be the pinnacle of coffee religiosity - snip at 22k

https://manument.com/en/manument-leva-machine

B
    i do like the knife though - how much are they ?

I do like a good cleaver for butchering poultry and game. That looks just the job Tony.

I bought a Global knife block a few weeks ago and want to try to avoid using that set's chef's knife for heavy duty chopping
    So is it a safe queen?

Blog Entries
    Looks like a single sided grind with a fairly large angled secondary bevel. Would think it's more suited to chopping than slicing, and will be interesting to sharpen perhaps.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    We spent a fortune on these about six years ago, I would know what to do with anything else

Feel I really NEED that chopping board now!

Interesting, how do they make 69 layers? At first it a single sheet of metal. They heat it and bend and then there are 2 layers. They forge, heat again, fold and then there are 4 layers. Then 16, then 32, then 64. How on earth they get uneven number of layers?

No idea but 3 x 23 = 69

Maybe they concertina a flat sheet 23 times and then fold it over 3 times.

I have no idea!

That reminds me.....I prefer 68. Wife goes down on me and I owe her one.......

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Our Global knives are in a block...

although I am now contemplating an additional wall magnet for the new cleaver and one or to other implements. Not sure if mix & match will look nice enough. though.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    No idea but 3 x 23 = 69

Maybe they concertina a flat sheet 23 times and then fold it over 3 times.

I have no idea!

That reminds me.....I prefer 68. Wife goes down on me and I owe her one.......

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    69 Layers is often core sandwiched between 2x34 layers.

Not sure how the 34 are arrived at though...

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    ... What is surprising (to me) with your knife Tony is the sheepsfoot shape, because it removes mass at the tip, which is where you want it for a chopper (far from the wrist for momentum). It's probably ideal for chopping vegetables but I would not use it for butchering (I haven't watched the Youtube channel, so if he does, more power to him). It is probably also an excellent slicer on both meat and veg. Plus, if it's an artisan blade, it is also the satisfaction of owning something handmade rather than on a production line.
    It works superbly as both a cleaver and a chopper, Marc. We do have a good set of Globals anyway, so this just serves another purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I do a lot of cooking and have a total of 20 kitchen knives, each a separate tool for a separate job. Some expensive, (for very specific roles), most medium priced, (for every day tasks), and some dirt cheap, (because it's stupid to pay more than necessary for such as paring knives, fruit knives etc).

Like all tools, buy for specific tasks - you wouldn't use a flat screwdriver on a Philips screw would you? Well, I guess you could at a pinch, but why make it more difficult than it needs to be?! There's no one knife that does it all.

Not sure what you intend to use that knife for Tony, looks to be too bulky for most cooking tasks, something more akin to what my cleaver would be used for?
    Yes, precisely. And cleaving and chopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I love my Global chef knife, it is my go to knife for most tasks aside from boning etc.

I must use it 90% of the time I’m chopping or cutting things. A good regular sharpen and it’s always amazingly good to use.

Is this one a substitute for a chefs knife or as some form of cleaver? Love the look of them, just no space left on the global magnet (and the handle won’t match lol)
    This one will be a cleaver/chopper. I'm trying to save the Global chef's knife for less robust duties.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Corryvreckan View Post
    The shape and apparent heft of the thing might make it a little difficult to use efficiently? I find a more typical cook's kitchen knife around 20 cm long, like the Wüsthof Ikon, particularly good from an ergonomic and build quality perspective. I am also guilty of having some very pretty looking (and sharp) Damascus steel type Japanese blades, but always gravitate towards more 'normal' knives - so I suppose I'll have to admit to being seduced by shinyness in the choice of some of my kitchen utensils. Let us know how you get on!
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    If you enjoy the Almazan, you might like to check out "the men with the pot"
    Also on YouTube.
    Also outdoor.
    Northern Ireland, actually.
    Also with dog.
    And, yes, they'll also sell you their cleaver.

I'm not making this up, honest.
    Yes, I follow that channel too!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    ... i do like the knife though - how much are they ?
    ¢99 in the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I do like a good cleaver for butchering poultry and game. That looks just the job Tony.
    Thanks, Adrian!

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    So is it a safe queen?

Hah!