closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone visited the new FP Journe shop in London?

Apprentice

Anyone visited the new FP Journe shop in London?

Has anyone been? What did you think? A CS in red gold or platinum has been at the top of my wish list for years now. I tried, unsuccessfully, to buy one from Pragnells in 2021/22 but they were in the process of losing their AD status, I wonder if I might be any more successful with Journe's own outlet in London. Having read many times all about the trials and tribulations that others have gone through to buy a watch that they actually want from any number of high end brands, am I wasting my time thinking that I might be able to order one? Should I just accept that the only available route is grey or not at all?

Might be easier now since the infamous dinner party. Whatever it was he did/said.

Journeyman
    I went past the new boutique on my way to Patek the other day and popped in. Met the manager who explained they weren’t officially open yet so he suggested I email him and we could set up a proper visit and coffee. Still waiting for his reply! Which honestly I’m not expecting any time soon.
    FPJ make 1,000 watches a year? And up until recently they made far fewer than that. I read somewhere that since 1999 they’ve sold 10,000 watches (can’t remember the date of that article but I think it was relatively recent). And they already have 11 boutiques worldwide or something like that.
    Add all that up and I personally think no one is getting an FPJourne any time soon, unless they have an existing relationship or a phenomenal intro. In any case, I also understand from the brief chat I had with the manager at the new boutique that new customers are only invited to apply for the base Souveraine Chronometre models. All sounds a bit miserable, however, I notice prices at auction are coming down. I saw a white dial 40mm Souveraine in platinum on Watchcollecting.com fail to get anywhere near reserve yesterday. I think the auction ended at 33k, so perhaps things might be turning for this brand too.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Might be easier now since the infamous dinner party. Whatever it was he did/said.
    What exactly did he do? Nico leonard just did a video on YT saying it was sexual/racial. There is a video of the incident......Journe does have a reputation of being a difficult person to get on with. Heard previously he came across badly at events with customers. Shame as the watches are beautiful.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    What exactly did he do? Nico leonard just did a video on YT saying it was sexual/racial. There is a video of the incident......Journe does have a reputation of being a difficult person to get on with. Heard previously he came across badly at events with customers. Shame as the watches are beautiful.

I got to about 4 mins of googling and gave up! No idea.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nico's just sore because Francois-Paul called him a fat gobsh*te and accused him of secretly owning a Hublot.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 8th December 2023 at 17:40.

Journeyman
    And of course just like the RM boutique around the corner, there aren’t actually any watches to look at or handle (that might have changed now). I ended up trying on the manager’s CS. Which was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post

Plenty of talented shitheads in the planet. I don't think I ever read what he said. Might not have been fit to publish? No idea.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m sure you will be able to put your name down on an “interest” list of which you will be able to choose 2. There is a preapproved list of models a first time client is allowed to express interest for and these are generally consistent across the world. You will be able to express 2 watches. Just be prepared to wait and you will eventually get it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I’m sure you will be able to put your name down on an “interest” list of which you will be able to choose 2. There is a preapproved list of models a first time client is allowed to express interest for and these are generally consistent across the world. You will be able to express 2 watches. Just be prepared to wait and you will eventually get it.
    Anywhere else (not a watch AD) would just be a 'waiting list'.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    accused him of secretly owning a Hublot.
    is that the watch equivalent of being "outed"? A Hublophobe maybe?

Craftsman

Just correcting a few things if I may?

I've been living overseas (HK) for the last 8 years and been supremely inactive on here in that time so apologies for this being my first post now I'm back in the UK. Hopefully I'll be around a bit more!

I was in the Bruton Street store on Wednesday this past week. I spent three hours there chatting with the very passionate Edward (the deputy manager) and tried on various working models. I've been an FPJ collector for around 12 years now (maybe a few more, I cant recall exactly when I got my CB) and always try to pop in to the boutiques when on my travels around the world. For the last 8 years HK has looked after me, and the policy is that you aren't in any way 'location restricted' as some other brands tend to do but rather where you build up a relationship. In my case, Switzerland directly and HK. However London were happy to see me, sit with me, and chat watches.

in short, they are open, and as a new boutique, they have watches to try (not sell) from which you can then of course express an interest. I'd certainly encourage you to go but the best thing is always to call ahead.

Hope that helps.

Apprentice
    Excellent, thank you everyone, and thanks for sharing your experience gusmac. I called the London shop and had a decent chat. I was told pretty much what you said kaiser. I'm going to drop in early new year when I'm in London, hopefully have a bit of a chat about watches, try something on, and see if I can put my name down to buy a CS at some future date. Happy to wait.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corryvreckan View Post
    Excellent, thank you everyone, and thanks for sharing your experience gusmac. I called the London shop and had a decent chat. I was told pretty much what you said kaiser. I'm going to drop in early new year when I'm in London, hopefully have a bit of a chat about watches, try something on, and see if I can put my name down to buy a CS at some future date. Happy to wait.
    Excellent! let us know how you got on. Just to provide some context, my latest FP Journe was a Black Label Chronometre Optimum which took 4 years to arrive and is my 3rd Journe. I really like the brand.

Apprentice
    Excellent! let us know how you got on. Just to provide some context, my latest FP Journe was a Black Label Chronometre Optimum which took 4 years to arrive and is my 3rd Journe. I really like the brand.
    Wow, that must be a pretty special watch, very nice! I'll update after a visit.

Journeyman
    That’s the point isn’t it. You’ve got an existing relationship with the brand, assuming you bought your previous two watches direct from them and your third watch still took four years to arrive. That makes wait times for sports Pateks positively quick, at least in my experience. Given Journe’s output of only 1,000 watches a year, I guess that makes sense given Patek make 60 times that across their collection.

Personally I’d rather buy grey than wait at least four or five years for a watch, especially given that prices seem to be coming down on these particular models. Perhaps it comes down to how old you are and how much longer you think you’ve got to enjoy them!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    That’s the point isn’t it. You’ve got an existing relationship with the brand, assuming you bought your previous two watches direct from them and your third watch still took four years to arrive. That makes wait times for sports Pateks positively quick, at least in my experience. Given Journe’s output of only 1,000 watches a year, I guess that makes sense given Patek make 60 times that across their collection.

Personally I’d rather buy grey than wait at least four or five years for a watch, especially given that prices seem to be coming down on these particular models. Perhaps it comes down to how old you are and how much longer you think you’ve got to enjoy them!
    It took long because it was a Black Label watch. To be allocated a Black Label Journe, you need 3 previous purchases (was 2 back then), so its not a normal watch to wait for if that makes sense. Many of the other Journes will probably be somewhat quicker for sure. Also buying grey was also not an option for me as the price in the grey market was almost 50% higher than the MSRP I would have paid which made me want to wait instead.

Journeyman
    Ah I see. Nice watch. How long did it take then to get your first? Was it one of the more basic models? I’ve tried a few times to get even a meeting with them and they just don’t bother to reply.

I went in a week or so after opening but was told the display models aren’t finished properly so it wasn’t possible to try them on.
    I’ve got some time off on Monday so may pop in. I’m considering putting my name down for a Chronometre Souverain but no idea how long of a wait may entail.