closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Christopher Ward Alta 36mm - my new want

Craftsman

Christopher Ward Alta 36mm - my new want

Just received the email for the new Christopher ward 36mm and the want is real……

Who’s talking me in and who’s talking me out of it??

https://www.christopherward.com/the-...5IDQ3B,45LF4,1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Looks appealing, but nigh-on impossible to refinish properly when it gets scratched and battered, particularly the bezel. Nice to look at it, but would need looking after very carefully. On that basis it gets the thumbs down from me.......but so do other far more expensive watches for the same reason.

Depends, what sort of cocktail dress are you wearing it with?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Ohhh that sounds like your taking me out if I get one……… I’m in if the bills on you

Grand Master
    I don't mind bimetal watches, I own a few, but for me the bimetal has to carry through to the bracelet, plain steel bracelet with a bimetal head doesn`t work.

That bezel reminds me of a late 60s/early 70s Zenith Defy, once they get marked and scratched they don't refinish properly.

Master
    It does tick a few desirability boxes for me - the Genta-esque design, the integrated bracelet, 36mm, no date. But I do find it rather fussy and inelegant.

The dial doesn't look very legible and the logo looks a bit submerged.

I will talk you out of the RG bezel version. Stick to the steel bezel watch for half the price.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post

I will talk you out of the RG bezel version. Stick to the steel bezel watch for half the price.
    I like this idea, keeping my eye on via the bay at the min.

Subjectively, I like it, especially the RG bezel version - it's distinctively different, downright brave in such a conservative marketplace. Achieving that difference has resulted in somewhat confusing design language: it's a very dressy watch with some strong tool watch cues, and certainly 'busy'. For those reasons I'd definitely not be buying blind - it needs a try-on.

Seconded.

I’m a big fan of CW generally but to me this looks like a woman’s watch. Small, dressy, bejeweled looking, doesn’t speak to me at all. Their sports watches however are excellent.

My thoughts exactly (and high heels...)

Blog Entries
    Beat me to it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

Better still buy a Tissot PRX and save yourself a packet!

I’d buy it for my wife potentially. Personally wouldn’t go near it for me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    I’d buy it for my wife potentially. Personally wouldn’t go near it for me.

What don’t you like about it?

As I posted earlier, the gold bezel bimetal look doesn’t work, but other than that I think it’s a good example of the classic Genta style. A refreshing alternative to divers, pilots watches and chronographs which are all trying to represent some fantasy lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Better still buy a Tissot PRX and save yourself a packet!
    Except that I have handled and tried on a Tissot PRX…

It really isn’t up to the same standard as the CW as far as fit and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

As I posted earlier, the gold bezel bimetal look doesn’t work, but other than that I think it’s a good example of the classic Genta style. A refreshing alternative to divers, pilots watches and chronographs which are all trying to represent some fantasy lifestyle.
    I don’t think anyone’s knocking the Genta design elements, it’s the combo of rose gold bezel, hands and markers with a chintzy silver dial that’s the issue. Looks like something you’d see being modelled by Steffi Graf…

The steel is the deal. Both could benefit from a dial that has more clarity though.

I'd be in the "talking you out of it" camp too, although if it rises your sap, who are we to judge?

Usual thing for me: typical CW grab-bag of others' designs thrown together like a horological splatter-painting. Hoping that at least someone will decide it's "Genta style" (someone has!) and overlook it has absolutely no style of its own. A pretender, a sham, a lazy and cynical design magpie.

So far, so CW.

And then there's the minute and second hands, which are too long and their shape irritable. Dial texture looks...cheap. The logo is one of the least dire of CW's many efforts, and yet still dire.

I think I'm done

I don’t think anyone’s knocking the Genta design elements, it’s the combo of rose gold bezel, hands and markers with a chintzy silver dial that’s the issue. Looks like something you’d see being modelled by Steffi Graf…
    Yep, that’s a fair response and reflects my thoughts pretty well.

It’s all a bit “glitz” for my personal tastes, which I’m absolutely prepared to concede could be seen as conservative by some.

Master
    Glitz and glam, bit of rose, elements of Zenith and AP. Rather nice, but perhaps for an Elton John impersonator maybe. It's very dressy!

If it had a black dial and the black rubber strap, then I'd say yes.

Master
    Very, very similar to the Czapek version. I like it but would also go steel

Craftsman
    Yuk! Not one redeeming feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Glitz and glam, bit of rose, elements of Zenith and AP. Rather nice, but perhaps for an Elton John impersonator maybe. It's very dressy!

If it had a black dial and the black rubber strap, then I'd say yes.
    There are a number of other dial colour options in each of the 36mm and 40mm versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Very, very similar to the Czapek version. I like it but would also go steel
    The CW head of design also does work for Czapek and was involved with the Antarctique. It isn’t clear which one he started work on first.

Master
    There are a number of other dial colour options in each of the 36mm and 40mm versions.
    The 36mm Nordic Blue would be my choice...

Master
    ^ better, but irrespective of fit and finish considerations, a PRX is a lot more elegant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    ^ better, but irrespective of fit and finish considerations, a PRX is a lot more elegant.
    Owing both I couldn’t disagree more. The 12 is a better watch. Period

Master
    The CW head of design also does work for Czapek and was involved with the Antarctique. It isn’t clear which one he started work on first.
    Interesting, makes sense. I like them both

Master
    Blog Entries
    The thing about these that I find off-putting is the dial texture. But I suspect it may appear different in real life and may be hard to capture in a photograph.

Does anyone have wrist shots done in natural light?

The gold bezel bimetal look doesn’t work for you. Seems it has quite a few fans in here.

I thought that a short time ago CW were making a big deal about all their future watches aiming to be gender neutral and yet a decent proportion of the posts in this thread suggesting that this is a watch more suited to women. I'd tend to agree. Regardless, I just find it a bit cheap looking.

Having owned and sold a PRX as I found it a bit too ‘dressy’ I think the finishing on the CW veers even further into the ‘jewellery which happens to be a watch’ territory for me. I have 9 inch wrists and anything in this style just looks a bit dainty on me - even in 40mm it’d be a big no even though I appreciate the intricacy and details. I think a jewellery watch needs to be from Cartier or AP etc so it’s lucky they’re not a style I remotely like!

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I thought that a short time ago CW were making a big deal about all their future watches aiming to be gender neutral and yet a decent proportion of the posts in this thread suggesting that this is a watch more suited to women. I'd tend to agree. Regardless, I just find it a bit cheap looking.

I don't think that posters on this forum represent the tastes of wider society in anyway.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A refreshing alternative to divers, pilots watches and chronographs which are all trying to represent some fantasy lifestyle.
    Or, maybe, people just like the design of these watches - the way they look and feel on the wrist?

Can't speak for others, but if I'm wearing a flieger-style watch, it's not because in my head I'm pretending to be Horst Ademeit. I think they look good and that's as far as it goes, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    The thing about these that I find off-putting is the dial texture. But I suspect it may appear different in real life and may be hard to capture in a photograph.

Does anyone have wrist shots done in natural light?
    There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I don't think that posters on this forum represent the tastes of wider society in anyway.
    to be fair, neither do CW owners, it's not like it's a high street brand appealing to a high street audience.

to be fair, neither do CW owners, it's not like it's a high street brand appealing to a high street audience.
    A bit of a sweeping generalisation!🤣😂

Which high street brands do you have in mind?😀

Just pointing out that the members of this forum have as much chance of representing a broad cross section of society as CW owners do.

if a market research company asked 1000 people walking through a local shopping centre to name a watch brand, how many do you think would say CW? ;-)

I'd never heard of them until I joined this forum.

Just pointing out that the members of this forum have as much chance of representing a broad cross section of society as CW owners do.

if a market research company asked 1000 people walking through a local shopping centre to name a watch brand, how many do you think would say CW? ;-)

I'd never heard of them until I joined this forum.
    Ah got it.😀

I was interpreting “high street brands” as the likes of Rolex, Omega, Tudor, Grand Seiko, Bremont, Oris etc and thinking that most CW owners that I know also have at least a couple of these brands in their collections.

Grand Master
    I don't dislike this watch, I like the Genta design and despite reservations about durability I think it wears nicely on the wrist. I like the idea of a textured dial but this one's a bit too textured for my taste. The more I look at that bezel the more I'd prefer to see a conventional round design without the edges.

It'll be interesting to see how CW develop as a brand, the recent TV advertising should've raised the profile. Not sure about the logo, I`m not a good judge of these things but to me it doesn`t work as well as it could.

Ah got it.

I was interpreting “high street brands” as the likes of Rolex, Omega, Tudor, Grand Seiko, Bremont, Oris etc and thinking that most CW owners that I know also have at least a couple of these brands in their collections.
    It would be interesting to know, of those who own Rolex, Omega, Tudor or Oris and CW, whether they purchased the CW first or after another watch. I've taken Bremont and Grand Seiko out of the equation as neither are yet what I would consider significant high street brands.

I actually like CW watches, never quite got around to purchasing one but have come very close.

Heven't thought of Steffi Graf for years, but I could immediately picture this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There you go.
    Thanks. So actually the CW web site pictures do a fair job representing it!

I think I would like it more if it had a less "in your face" texture to it. Credit to CW for a bold design, though. Like it or not, it isn't a boring watch.

It would be interesting to know, of those who own Rolex, Omega, Tudor or Oris and CW, whether they purchased the CW first or after another watch. I've taken Bremont and Grand Seiko out of the equation as neither are yet what I would consider significant high street brands.

I actually like CW watches, never quite got around to purchasing one but have come very close.
    From the people that I know and from posts on the CW forum, there seems to be no set pattern.

Yes there are folk who discovered CW and purchased one or more CWs as their first good mechanical watches. Then going onto buy watches from the other brands, some then moving away from CW, others still buying further CWs.

There are also others who clearly owned the other brands before discovering CW.

I had a few watches before I came across CW, including JLC and Oris. Over the following years I have bought the occasional CW, Rolex, Omega, Tudor, Seiko etc, based upon whether I like the watch.