closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Out of love with a watch

Craftsman

Out of love with a watch

Those who have fallen out of love with a watch, did you ever fall back in love with it or was it sold on etc?
    Was there a period you waited or what did you do?
    Find myself in this dilemma and wrestling with what to do.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s a common theme here, some have bought and sold literally the same watch several times, although I forget who.

I'm in a bit of a rut like this at the moment.
    Spent an evening showing my collection to the father in law a few weeks ago and realised how diver-heavy the collection is. They basically all have the same purpose albeit they are mostly different colours and some are slightly more dressy than others (think BP Bathyscaphe vs Breitling SO Steelfish or Tudor BB ETA (Black bezel) vs Tudor Pelagos ETA).

Individually I am a fan of each.
    In practise I wonder if I could diversify the collection a little or even sell a few and buy one more special (read: expensive) watch.

Have sat on this dilemma for some time now and cannot decide what to do so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Yes.

I simply put it back in the box and wear something else for a while. Then, after a good while force myself to try it again.

I do have lots of watches that I don’t wear that I have no intention of selling - but also have quite a few that I really should look at closely one more time and then decide to keep or sell on.

When facing a similar dilemma I remind myself that there was a reason that I bought them in the first place, and rather than buying another that might not be in as good condition if I felt the desire to buy again, it might just be better to keep it/them.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    That’s a common theme here, some have bought and sold literally the same watch several times, although I forget who.
    Not guilty,,, but I am seriously considering repurchasing a Zenith El Primero Rainbow Flyback (coloured dial) that I "fell out of love with" and sold years ago .. even though the price has more than doubled

This is every Speedy Pro I've ever bought. I see pics of them, buy one, wear it, go 'meh' after a week, sell it. 6 months later I see a pic.....rinse and repeat

Depends on the reason. If it’s just general meh probably fell back in love with 25% of them but if there’s an associated reason it’s a dead duck.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Take your time ... if you still feel like that 6 months on then sell it ... no point having things you no longer have a need for.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got a watch that I didn't wear for about 10 years as I had tired of it, my tastes had moved on, etc. I decided to wear it again for a week just to make sure it was running reliably with a view to then selling it, but found that I now really enjoy wearing it again. Glad to have it, and not intending to sell after all.

My view is not to rush to sell something, unless you actually need the funds (i.e. for real life, not to fund another watch) because you never know. Especially if it's a watch you couldn't easily find again if you change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    This is every Speedy Pro I've ever bought. I see pics of them, buy one, wear it, go 'meh' after a week, sell it. 6 months later I see a pic.....rinse and repeat
    I did that - but back when they were £1500 - £2000, a bit too expensive for me to try another one now!!

Master
    Don’t forget, it’s only a watch. Don’t overthink it. Unless it’s rare, you can always buy one back if you miss it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yes.

I simply put it back in the box and wear something else for a while. Then, after a good while force myself to try it again.

I do have lots of watches that I don’t wear that I have no intention of selling - but also have quite a few that I really should look at closely one more time and then decide to keep or sell on.

When facing a similar dilemma I remind myself that there was a reason that I bought them in the first place, and rather than buying another that might not be in as good condition if I felt the desire to buy again, it might just be better to keep it/them.
    This has been very much my experience. Whenever I've fallen out of love with a watch I've simply put it in the drawer until I fall out of love with whatever succeeded it - and then almost always come to relish putting the previous back on again. As Omegamaniac says, you're then reminded why you bought it in the first place. That's how a rotation works for me anyway - rather than a collection of watches which I love equally and rotate on practical grounds, it's one which allows me to pick and choose on all manner of aesthetic and sentimental grounds.

I just recently put my beloved sarb035 on the bay.
    I just don't love it enough.
    I longed so much for it but in the end seldom wore it.
    I would hold it and pet it all the time but when on the wrist it never felt right.
    I got some straps, some bracelets. Made it look real fine like the fine watch it is but no, nothing.
    It will be missed, although like Elton John once sang: but then again no.

Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I don’t fall out if love with a watch, it’s more a case of not quite bonding with a watch after buying. I have a 1951 Omega Seamaster, steel case with gold bezel and gold capped lugs, dial is refinished and not brilliant but otherwise an excellent example. I bought it in 1998 at an antiques fair and for various reasons I’ve hardly worn it. A few years ago I gave it a full restoration, lightly refinishing the case and fitting a genuine NOS handset, but I’ve hardly worn it since. I ought to like it but somehow it’s never hit the spot and I really should sell it.

I have 3 watches that were bought as fixer uppers but after restoration I decided they were too nice to sell. None are what I term as collector’s grade but they all wear very nicely, I guess that’s the opposite of falling out of love with a watch!

As ever, my advice is to build collection consisting of several watches you like, if you get bored with a watch simply put it away for a few weeks/ months then revisit it, it’s surprising how enthusiasm returns.

Rolex explorer

Not sure why, but ever since picking up the incipio version, it has felt second best.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Yep had it a couple of times this year.

First a Vintage Heuer 510 that was just too perfect to wear, I hated having a watch and not being able to get past wearing it for fear of marking it.

Second one was Heuer Autavia re issue, which after adoring for 2 years I realized it was just way too big for me.

Moved both on as I just wasn't enjoying them. In my view if you don't enjoy it, it has to go!

Not a watch in particular but a brand.

BREMONT!!!! AAArgh I have bought and sold so many over the years. I regret selling the MBII's mainly.

Pretty much every watch I’ve sold, I have at some point considered buying again.

It’s just how silly this whole watch thing is.

Yes. Speedy pro, I think they’re amazing, I see others wearing them and think they look great. But when I’ve had them, I look down and they do nothing for me.

Tudor BB58. Bought one when they were new and the hype was huge. Moved on after a couple of months. Think it could never live up the hype/expectation. Just picked up another, and wearing it nonstop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Yes with my Submariner LV. I got it in 2021 and this year it spent most of its time in the safe. I even contemplated moving it on as it wasn’t worn much. However recently I wore it and really bonded with it so it does happen!

Master
    I have a Watch I bought new back in February 2017, it's one of those gloss dialled Omega Seamaster's, I wouldn't say that I've ever fallen out of love with it but more get a bit bored sometimes, I've always fancied either a Panerai or IWC Pilot for a change but I have a strict two watch policy these days to keep the hobby or should I say habit in check, my only other watch is a G-Shock.

So, what I did, and I'm not saying this will work for you or everyone, I tried her on some new shoes, took the bracelet off and bought a Hirsch Lucca Leather Strap and love it, it's kind of re- kindled some love, if I get bored of the Strap the bracelet will go back on, time will tell if it works long term.

Sent from my CPH2211 using Tapatalk

I have a rule whereby I have to wear every watch in rotation. Currently every watch in the collection has a date so I can only move on to another watch when the correct date comes around. This way you are forced to wait a few weeks or more to swap watches. Might sound mad but you can tell a lot about how you feel about a watch by doing this, first the anticipation of wearing the watch again then the disappointment of having to take it off. There are two in my collection that I clearly don't love but now is not the time to sell.

Tonight is the turn of the Explorer2. I haven't seen it for nearly a month so I'm excited to see it again.

Craftsman
    I think we have all been there. I have major regret selling an Omega AT but then again some sacrifices are needed to evolve the collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I did that - but back when they were £1500 - £2000, a bit too expensive for me to try another one now!!
    I’ve not tried one yet, but the price puts me off as I just cannot get over how artificially expensive they have become.

Craftsman
    Getting the right combo of watch & strap is the thing for me. Have the BB58 and had it on a black Erica’s strap with the red stripe (makes sense). Recently changed it for the green with yellow stripe (seems odd), but it’s like having a new watch - love it again!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    I have major regret selling an Omega AT but then again some sacrifices are needed to evolve the collection.
    Nearly sold my AT but I decided not to. They are quite satisfying to wear.

Grand Master
    The biggest selling mistake I`ve made was letting go of a 36mm blue-dialled Aqua Terra co-axial around 2010 for £800. Tried to buy it back off the new owner with no success. I still lack a nice classic blue-dialled watch in this style, had a Datejust but sold it on, also had a Rolex OP36 with blue dial but let that one go. The bracelets on the original ATs were a bit rattly and could've done with some polished bits to compliment the watch head, but not the full polished centre links, but otherwise the watch was nice. Size suited me better than the later 38mm cal8500 version, had one of those for a few years too and sold it on. Never missed that one, but I do miss the original version. Prices have gone too high for me to replace it like for like, might consider a quartz one at the right money.

Some watches you just have to wait until you get the right strap combination for them, had a few watches I didn't like wearing until I got the perfect strap for them. Don't get me started on buying and selling straps though...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes.
    I've had (I think) 5 MM300's.
    Love them but they never seem to hit the spot when I own one.
    I fell out of love with my BLNR a good few years back and sold it on here. Managed to buy it back a few months later thankfully and it's been a firm favourite ever since.

Funny, I’ve had five MM300s too and after hunting a new one decided the end was inevitable and gave up. Also sold my BLNR but in hindsight wouldn’t mind it back.

Grand Master
    If you can spend time with a watch and also have the depth of many then narrowing down the detail you like takes time, what feels great at one time or stage in your journey may not later but the experience of owning and analysing are useful.

A lot here and outside the forum are driven by value over function, a watch worth more is more attractive to some but if you disregard the financials then you’ll find your sweet spot some day. Personally I’ve been mixing them up for years and after 8 years full time in the trade have worn thousands but always return to the same 3-5 which really tells me something.
    RIAC

Master
    The Sinn U1, loved that watch, why did I sell it!
    U50 or U1 now?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    U50 or U1 now?
    That would depend on why you sold it. I sold my U1 because it was too big for me. So if I was buying again, it would be the U50. I’ve been tempted by the T50 more than once recently.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Personally I’ve been mixing them up for years and after 8 years full time in the trade have worn thousands but always return to the same 3-5 which really tells me something.
    I’d be interested to know what the 3-5 are, if you feel like sharing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    U50 or U1 now?
    U50 or UX is my debate for the future.
    Love both of them!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk