closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What makes an aftershave good/great ?

What makes an aftershave good/great ?

Since birth I have had no/totally zero sense of smell so I don't understand smell, I have a very limited sense of taste, I can differentiate extreme's, mustard and jam for example but if I had ten different jams mixed to the same consistency I would fail to say what each was, I can recognise different textures to a certain extent which helps a little, i'm great to cook for.

So for me a good smell would be a spoon full of honey and a bad smell would be a spoon of mustard :)

So what makes a good after shave ? I ask because its this time of year at least one of my kids will ask if I want any for Christmas.

Can't go into details, but from experience

Old Spice - classic, always smells distinguished

Nivea after shave balm- very mellow and subdued, calms down a shaving rash like putting a bag of frozen peas on your neck

Drakar Noir- keeping them moist since the 80's. Ladies love it

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Kevin Keegan.

My favourite reply on the other aftershave thread is one that causes ‘fizzing of the bunghole’
    Still makes me giggle everyone I think of it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

In this situation, we need some Anchorman wisdom:

Brian Fantana*:*[about Veronica]**I'll give this little cookie an hour before we're doing the no-pants dance. Time to musk up.

[opens cologne cabinet]*

Ron Burgundy*:*Wow. Never ceases to amaze me. What cologne you gonna go with? London Gentleman, or wait. No, no, no. Hold on. Blackbeard's Delight.

Brian Fantana*:*No, she gets a special cologne... It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Ron Burgundy*:*It's quite pungent.

Brian Fantana*:*Oh yeah.

Ron Burgundy*:*It's a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. In a good way.

Brian Fantana*:*Yep.

Ron Burgundy*:*Brian, I'm gonna be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.

Brian Fantana*:*They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Brut was good enough for Henry.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Marketing …

Craftsman
    Very few of them actually smell nice to me.

However, someone on here once recommended Creed and thats what I usually wear. Its the one that stands out as a good smell to me.

Master
    No idea, I’d need to ask SWMBO as she’s is the one with the casting(only) vote, and the person who usually buys it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Very few of them actually smell nice to me.

However, someone on here once recommended Creed and thats what I usually wear. Its the one that stands out as a good smell to me.
    Speaking to one of my daughters she also recommends Creed @£210 for 50ml but because I can't smell she thinks I will appreciate some new socks more :)

After applying fragrance of choice are you having to beat them off with a stick? If not, then it's the same meh fragrance as all the other meh fragrances.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    After applying fragrance of choice are you having to beat them off with a stick? If not, then it's the same meh fragrance as all the other meh fragrances.
    Is that the voice of disappointment?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Is that the voice of disappointment?
    I'm afraid not Old Oakey Koakey.

I haven't worn aftershave since I was about 16. I can't stand the smell of any of them, or perfumes.

There's nothing worse than being stuck next to another human being wearing an overpowering, manufactured scent because they believe it makes them more attractive. Seriously, it makes me gag every time.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    My favourite reply on the other aftershave thread is one that causes ‘fizzing of the bunghole’
    Still makes me giggle everyone I think of it.
    My finest moment on TZUK

( In fact i remember i was talking about Taylors Sandalwood aftershave
    Which at the time had the desired effect on er indoors )

Master
    Personal taste. It’s not going to be a one size fits all answer. Nothing wrong with aftershave or perfume. Better to smell pleasant than be the stinking bloke at work that boasts that he doesn’t wear deodorant or antiperspirant as he does not think he smells or simply doesn’t care. They are everywhere especially on the underground or buses .

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Personal taste. It’s not going to be a one size fits all answer. Nothing wrong with aftershave or perfume. Better to smell pleasant than be the stinking bloke at work that boasts that he doesn’t wear deodorant or antiperspirant as he does not think he smells or simply doesn’t care. They are everywhere especially on the underground or buses .
    You're funny. Blub!

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    My finest moment on TZUK

( In fact i remember i was talking about Taylors Sandalwood aftershave
    Which at the time had the desired effect on er indoors )
    My missus would gag if I wore after shave. And not it the good way.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    My missus would gag if I wore after shave. And not it the good way.
    The bunghole has dried up 😆

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm afraid not Old Oakey Koakey.

I haven't worn aftershave since I was about 16. I can't stand the smell of any of them, or perfumes.

There's nothing worse than being stuck next to another human being wearing an overpowering, manufactured scent because they believe it makes them more attractive. Seriously, it makes me gag every time.
    Believe me there is Old Onelasttimey. Being stuck next to the guy who doesn't realise he has BO is ten times worse. And the thing is they can't smell it themselves.

Believe me there is Old Onelasttimey. Being stuck next to the guy who doesn't realise he has BO is ten times worse. And the thing is they can't smell it themselves.
    So, you are saying wearing after shave is a less bad than having BO? Well that is not a difficult one, and not much of an argument.

How about comparing wearing aftershave and smelling like a tarts boudoir to a person with great personal hygiene who smells of absolutely nothing.

I’ll take the latter every day of my life.

I went down an aftershave rabbit hole a little while ago.

I've learnt that the absolute best aftershave is one which

Lasts a long time
    Is subtle

But most importantly, isn't one which everyone else wears.

Creed Aventus smells great ... But its not really very original.

Best to get one which smells lovely but is not "popular"... For me that works best.

Fragrantica is the gateway to the rabbit hole. Enter at your own risk.

YMMV

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
    But is it the gateway to the bunghole? I would certainly enter at my own risk.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
    I went down an aftershave rabbit hole a little while ago.

I've learnt that the absolute best aftershave is one which

Lasts a long time
    Is subtle

But most importantly, isn't one which everyone else wears.

Creed Aventus smells great ... But its not really very original.

Best to get one which smells lovely but is not "popular"... For me that works best.

YMMV

Can`t understand this at all! How can folks take it so seriously? It's basically scent for men, the term 'after shave' was coined back in the 60s to make wearing scent more acceptable to 1960s men, anyone who believes it's got any link to shaving is fooling themselves.

I have a bottle in the bathroom, can`t even remember what brand it is, I put a dab on when going out after a shower and shave......job done. How anyone can obsess about it is beyond me.

The classics like Brut and Old Spice are so nostalgic, only have to smell them and it's a fast-track back to my youth when I was gullible enough to 'splash it all over' as Henry Copper told us to do with the Brut......those were the days.

Really can`t take this stuff seriously!

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    So, you are saying wearing after shave is a less bad than having BO? Well that is not a difficult one, and not much of an argument.

How about comparing wearing aftershave and smelling like a tarts boudoir to a person with great personal hygiene who smells of absolutely nothing.

I’ll take the latter every day of my life.
    Yes after shave is less bad than BO.

I never made the other comparison you did but yes I agree. It also is not a difficult one and not much of an argument.

Master
    Yes after shave is less bad than BO.

I never made the other comparison you did but yes I agree. It also is not a difficult one and not much of an argument.
    Anything he can save on spending, he will; there are just those folk out there who have their own view of the world and it is always correct.

After shave is an enjoyable hobby like watches. So many different styles to try / experiment with. I’m probably way too tucked up at the moment cash wise with it and banned myself buying more currently as a drawer full of them is enough (ignoring the ones hidden in the wardrobe that I’ve not yet opened!)

Personally I prefer to smell someone who has put an effort into what they are wearing vs bland nothingness. BO is just dirty and poor practice. Over powering is poor too, but you learn all about the projection once you’ve worn it a few times.