closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I actually need a new consumer unit, or am I being mugged off...?

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    I'll just add he's a very well respected local sparky who does loads of work in our villages and we even drink in the same pub. 🙂
    That quote also includes running new cables to the kitchen ready for the new ovens and hob.
    He's done some work for me in the past and I know he will do a proper job, no corners cut and will be neat and tidy at the finish.
    I guess the question is how much is that trust and confidence worth, rather than getting someone random out of the phone book?
    You are asking for advice on whether a CU replacement cost is reasonable, and yet the scope is more than that. No idea how you expect comments on that.

Looks like he has priced for a couple of days labour and if you think it is reasonable representation of the time required, then go for it. Or, if you decide you want certainty the guy brings then go for it. If not, get another quote to compare.

Is it normal to lump the cost of specific materials together with the labour to install - in a quote?

That doesn't seem too transparent.

But - I think you may have to go with the 'trusted' electrician.

"Trust - but verify." Make sure that he tests each circuit once installed and properly marks up the outputs.

My sister's 'trusted' electrician left the two consumer units' distribution un-marked. A few months later when I was there, I identified as many circuits as I could, and marked accordingly. Told her to make sure the electrician verified them and marked up those that I hadn't when he returned.

When he came back - he did nothing but said "You're brother has done it already" and no comment that he was happy to leave the installation in use for around 6 months with no identifiers on the circuits.

Treat them all with a healthy dose of mistrust and you won't go far wrong.

I know quite a few sparkies and £700-£800 plus vat seems to be the going rate for a consumer unit with rcbo's, SPD, new tails and bonding if required.
    If your quote includes pulling new circuits in then I'd say you've got a decent price.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master

Do I actually need a new consumer unit, or am I being mugged off...?

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    I'll just add he's a very well respected local sparky who does loads of work in our villages and we even drink in the same pub. 🙂
    That quote also includes running new cables to the kitchen ready for the new ovens and hob.
    He's done some work for me in the past and I know he will do a proper job, no corners cut and will be neat and tidy at the finish.
    I guess the question is how much is that trust and confidence worth, rather than getting someone random out of the phone book?
    Your initial post mentions new cables, ignore TAG not reading properly.

Blackal’s labelling is a must. I’m astounded his sister’s electrician didn’t do that! Even with a new unit, I still checked everything circuit by circuit for my own peace of mind.

Amusingly came back from holiday at the weekend and there’s a humming noise in the house we have never heard before. No heating on, so assume it’s electrical.

Go through turning each circuit off to see if I can eliminate it; nothing. Repeat, as I’m tired and the noise is annoying. After about 30mins of hunting the noise, pick up my carryon from the flight. Noise changes. Was my small battery fan that had accidentally got turned on in my bag - at least the fix was free!

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    I know quite a few sparkies and £700-£800 plus vat
    Are you saying £800 per day ex vat for a sparky? £180k per year for 225 working man days.

The world has gone mad, I tell ye!!

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Are you saying £800 per day ex vat for a sparky? £180k per year for 225 working man days.

I read that as "for supply and fit"

That's a bit like saying a car salesman selling a car at £5k every day over 225 working days is on £1.2million a year

That's a bit like saying a car salesman selling a car at £5k every day over 225 working days is on £1.2million a year

A good sparky is fully booked. Maybe if your day rate is £800 you have to live with fallow periods.

I wouldn’t consider a sparky at that day rate. I know things have changed post covid, but that makes the train driver seem poor, lol.

I think a sparky day rate on Surrey/London borders was £300 in 2018 when I used one. A very good sparky too.

A good sparky is fully booked. Maybe if your day rate is £800 you have to live with fallow periods.

I wouldn’t consider a sparky at that day rate. I know things have changed post covid, but that makes the train driver seem poor, lol.

I think a sparky day rate on Surrey/London borders was £300 in 2018 when I used one. A very good sparky too.
    I don't know any sparkies who are charging £800 day rate. But I'm sure you're not really implying that anyway.

I don't know any sparkies who are charging £800 day rate. But I'm sure you're not really implying that anyway.

My bad if I have interpreted you wrong.

Craftsman
    In my prime when I was a young man I used to be able change a 12 way domestic split load board in 45mins. It’s beyond easy once you ve done 100’s of them.

Quote doesn’t state make of board but if you go on average of

20 way metal clad db with 100a main switch £90
    Surge protection including mcb £60
    Rcbo £25 each x 12 =£300
    7 blanks £2
    2m of 25mm or 35mm tails brown and blue £30
    2m 10mm earth £3
    Henley block if needed £5
    Grommets for tails £2

Total £492 materials ish

Two hours to test an average 3 bed house and an hour to fill test sheets and log/ issue cert and db schedule is about right

If their running vans, office etc etc costs are higher compared to a one man spare room as an office tradesman.

If his running you extra circuits in for that price too it’s not a million miles off I d say.

All it takes is one cable too short for the new board to screw up your day

Master

He’d have to be making £5k a day profit — unless he’s stealing them

Master
    On the subject of rate, my sparky who does around 20-25 submain,bathroom 2nd fixes for my Adaptations work every year turns up 3 men, himself a talented 2nd who has no desire to go it alone and a lad who knows where everything is in the van. £120 an hour plus vat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    All it takes is one cable too short for the new board to screw up your day
    That's what Wagos were invented for (yes, I've seen it).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    In my prime when I was a young man I used to be able change a 12 way domestic split load board in 45mins. It’s beyond easy once you ve done 100’s of them.

Quote doesn’t state make of board but if you go on average of

20 way metal clad db with 100a main switch £90
    Surge protection including mcb £60
    Rcbo £25 each x 12 =£300
    7 blanks £2
    2m of 25mm or 35mm tails brown and blue £30
    2m 10mm earth £3
    Henley block if needed £5
    Grommets for tails £2

Total £492 materials ish

Two hours to test an average 3 bed house and an hour to fill test sheets and log/ issue cert and db schedule is about right

If their running vans, office etc etc costs are higher compared to a one man spare room as an office tradesman.

If his running you extra circuits in for that price too it’s not a million miles off I d say.
    Thank you, finally the voice of reason and not what-about-google-ism from the local pub bore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk