closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cybertruck vs 911

Cybertruck vs 911

This is unsurprisingly all over Twitter X at the moment.

Cybertruck vs 911 in a 1/4 mile drag race...
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1730327340138615019

Master
    That is nuts.
    Of course unnecessary, but nonetheless very impressive.

Master
    When I saw that video I wondered if there was a plot twist at the end there! 😂

Mad vehicle, but not the first one I suppose.

Master
    But how much use is it as a truck, where do I put my pallet of roofing tiles-or whatever, how effective will it be on a muddy building site?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    But how much use is it as a truck, where do I put my pallet of roofing tiles-or whatever, how effective will it be on a muddy building site?
    About the same as a 911?! 😂

In fairness, it does have a load bed, and a huge towing capacity.

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/cybertru...on%20materials.

I’d be surprised if many people are buying one of these for work though, not even sure they will get to the UK officially, type approval may be a challenge?

I think it’s mad, and I kind of like it for that reason alone, but even I wouldn’t actually buy one…

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    But how many people buy a Range Rover because they have to drive it over their fields every day and occasionally want to hose out the interior to drive it into town? Or tick the box to spec the silly external boxes for their Defender? It remains to be seen what happens if they sell enough to develop the model but if you can write any of it off against tax because it's a work vehicle and all you need to carry in the back is your painting equipment or whatever then does it really matter?

If I didn't dislike Musk and Tesla and felt my life held no meaning if my neighbours couldn't approve of me unless I had a massive piece of junk on my drive, I'd have the Cyberytruck any day of the week over any other SUV. SUVs and 4x4s are big and ugly. People want them big because they're scared and want to feel big while looking small, and they're ugly (the SUVs, not necessarily the drivers) because they're big and look awful. At least Tesla aren't trying to hide that by styling it to try to make it look like a car or to try to make it look smaller or sleeker.

It's the anti-everything. And for that I rejoice. And yet will never ever buy one. It's still a ridiculous form of transport.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    About the same as a 911?! 

In fairness, it does have a load bed, and a huge towing capacity.

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/cybertru...on%20materials.

I’d be surprised if many people are buying one of these for work though, not even sure they will get to the UK officially, type approval may be a challenge?

I think it’s mad, and I kind of like it for that reason alone, but even I wouldn’t actually buy one…
    Ha, you posted this while I was typing out my response and we've pretty much said the same thing. Except I was rude about SUV owners.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    What a great vid, I can't wait for these to start appearing on the roads - the future Robocop promised but the world couldn't deliver!

Related, I think it was a recent series of Top Gear where three classic sports cars were pitted against three modern EV conversions and even the battery powered LR Defender absolutely blew the petrol cars off the track. Its frightening the level of acceleration on modern electrics.

Craftsman
    All about the big impressive headlines, how about if both were put head to head on a racing track?

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Master
    I think I'd rather have a Rivian.

AI video ??
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

But the 911 looks and sounds amazing. And it's a 911. And the truck looks stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    But the 911 looks and sounds amazing. And it's a 911. And the truck looks stupid.
    Agreed, Tesla has the soul of a digital watch.

+1

I sincerely hope trucks remain utility in this country.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

You can’t put a Trump 2024 flag on a 911 either

We're used to associating acceleration and speed with noise, but all it is is wasted energy. The efficiency of ICEs is absolutely dire compared to EVs, and as an engineer I love smooth and almost silent motoring not to mention the mental acceleration, and the progress away from poor energy conversion and unsustainably destroying irreplaceable resources.

The truck does look stupid though.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I think I'd rather have a Rivian.

Yes, if I wanted to wear a lumberjack shirt and needed a pickup, that would be on my shortlist.

Journeyman

"Looks like a MineCraft Car!", said my 7 year old. "Can we get one?!"

Bullet proof too.

Obviously.

Love it.

The purpose of Tesla is to drive the world's transition to electric vehicles, and I can see this tempting some of the hardest to reach diehards out of their V8s.

Unfortunately they can't manufacture it for what they said they could sell it for. But I do love the wedge design.
    Last edited by Caruso; 1st December 2023 at 21:44.

Awful thing.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Awful thing.
    Agreed but to a particular segment of the US market it will sell like hot cakes. It's an abomination imho...just plays into the worst of the prepper apocalyptic- blade runner fantasies..automotive cosplay kinda way.
    Last edited by Passenger; 1st December 2023 at 22:08.

Not road legal in UK or EU without massive changes to the design - then what is the point?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Not road legal in UK or EU without massive changes to the design - then what is the point?
    It was always meant for the North American market, and is a ‘disruptor product’ like the Roadster, MS, MX, M3 and MY before it.

As you say, I can’t see how it will get type approval over here so will remain a rare sight.

Thankfully! 😂

Master
    It’s doubtful that it will ever get officially released in the UK and besides at 5.7 metres long and over 2m wide, good luck trying to park that in your local supermarket carpark!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Looks like a hideous cross between a DeLorean and a door stop.

I would much prefer a Lamborghini LM002.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Not very pedestrian friendly in an accident I suppose. That would wipe out a 5y/o!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Looks like a hideous cross between a DeLorean and a door stop.

I would much prefer a Lamborghini LM002.
    I think I would rather have Herpes than either. It's like someone thought 'That DeLorean is just too pretty, lets ugly it up'

What was promised vs what was delivered -

Also, initially promised a 500-mile range - how about a range extender that gets close to that, for $16k, that fills much of the useless bed.

Or, if you prefer a cheaper way to compromise the actual point of a pick-up, how about a spare wheel for $1250?

The whole truck is an embarrassing mess dreamt up by a drug-fuelled narcissist who has never heard the word, "No." It's "virtue" signalling for people who rant and rail against virtue signalling. A vehicle for the worst people you know.

Finally - how about a crash-test video, compared to other trucks? No real crumple zone? Remember, stopping in half the time means twice the force. Al, no side or curtain airbags?

https://twitter.com/ostonox/status/1730616684568854584

I understand there's Tesla people who've acknowledged it's not really gonna appeal to the core pick up truck buyers who want and need pick up utility.

Soviets did it in the 70's.

Blog Entries
    This Tesla pickup truck IMHO is more likeable. The Truckla:

https://youtu.be/R35gWBtLCYg?si=T7x7tdXvVCAYbKQa

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Soviets did it in the 70's.

Those are also death traps based on modern testing.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Those are also death traps based on modern testing.
    Yeah, but imagine pulling up to McD's in one these bad boys!

You mean a ‘Simply Delicious’.

Cybertruck vs 911

Oh great, so Musk has finally decided to divert attention from the death throes of X by releasing his ‘Truck for the Masses’

So, I wonder how long before the first ones appear over here in NL? It’s bad enough here with those huge Dodge Rams that are too wide for the Dutch roads but are beloved by the middle aged drug dealer ‘Ferris’ types, the ones that can’’t actually get down two of the roads that are part of the terraced housing T junction we are on the corner of, this usually means 20 minutes of swearing and shouting before they give up and go back the way they came (usually at 3 in the morning on a Sunday ).

Master
    Not getting much love in here is it? Anyway I think it's amusing and will buy one anyway if it does come here.

I originally paid a deposit on the Twin motor variant but will likely get the triple motor now.

I'm not holding my breath though as I had a deposit down on the Model S Plaid too but they canned that in the UK and offered me a LHD one instead.

I won't be driving a LHD car as my main car in the UK it's just a pain in the arse.

I don't care whether it's a good vehicle or not. I'm just glad it's being made.

Mad concept vehicles are designed all the time, but rarely do they get made, or released on general sale. And if they do they're nothing like the original concept. Often a pale imitation or a watered down facsimile. Not this time though. It still looks as bonkers as the original concept, and that should be applauded.

Elon might possibly change the way cars look forever, like Steve Jobs and Jonny Ive changed the way computers and phones now look.

Tesla fanbois really don't have it easy these days. First, Elon's endorsement of Q-anon conspiracies, then his coked-up car-crash interview with NY Times journalist Andrew "Joanthan" Sorkin, then we have whistleblowers, fraudulent insurance troubles, the "full self-driving" scam that has been promised to hit home every year since 2016, robo-taxis, shares tanking, it never seems to stop.

Then some light: finally the Cybertruck was delivered. Well, not exactly delivered, but twelve cars were handed over to hand-picked customers that have signed NDAs not to talk to the press about it. There was a lot that didn't go right, the price has blown out versus early promises, range is much shorter, the truck is a design calamity - but still, here it is. And it's fast, beating a Porsche 911 over a quarter mile.

Colour me shocked, it has been revealed that it hasn't: the race was not over a quarter mile, but over an eighth of a mile. All of 201 meters. A 845hp electric four-wheel driven truck beat a 385hp rear-wheel driven car over 201 meters. I'd say it is still a cool and impressive stunt with the second Porsche on the trailer, and why didn't they just leave it there? No, Tesla being Tesla, they had to lie about it because that is what Tesla does. Every time.
    There are more questions: If the race was over 200 meters, why was the Porsche seen shifting gears? It could have just done these few seconds in first gear. There must be more doctoring, stay tuned when that is revealed.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Who remembers when Homer Simpson designed a car?