closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hive heating issue.

Master

Hive heating issue.

My heating is currently set to 15 degrees but twice randomly this month ( it’s done it before even bqck to when it was installed ) it randomly turns itself up to 20 degrees which is obviously nice to wake up to a warm house but means my heating has been on full blast for 16 hours straight rather than the 2 hours a day it normally runs to keep the house at 15! Any heating experts or people who have had a similar issue hand an idea why or what I can do as it’s costing a fortune. I’ve tried new good quality batteries and it shows the battery in the unit is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by toastie View Post
    My heating is currently set to 15 degrees but twice randomly this month ( it’s done it before even bqck to when it was installed ) it randomly turns itself up to 20 degrees which is obviously nice to wake up to a warm house but means my heating has been on full blast for 16 hours straight rather than the 2 hours a day it normally runs to keep the house at 15! Any heating experts or people who have had a similar issue hand an idea why or what I can do as it’s costing a fortune. I’ve tried new good quality batteries and it shows the battery in the unit is fine.
    Have you checked each day's schedule is set as you want it example is from mine.

The other option might be a special event set in the thermostat "add" options. A random glitch may also be the answer as when it is running to 20c it looks like a schedule or the above thermostat event.

Around 10 days ago, my Hive controller after running the CH from 18:00 to 21:00 - kept modulating the temperature at the set 18c overnight.

Not got to the bottom of that anomaly - but took the controller off "schedule", and just activating via phone each day.

I would have to assume some sort of glitch in the programming or thermostat.

I must have a search online to see if there are any forums for this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Have you checked each day's schedule is set as you want it example is from mine.
    I don’t run it on a schedule it’s just set to 15 and left permanently on

Master
    The other option might be a special event set in the thermostat "add" options. A random glitch may also be the answer as when it is running to 20c it looks like a schedule or the above thermostat event.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I have no events set

I don’t run it on a schedule it’s just set to 15 and left permanently on

Interesting - the thermostat appears to be indicating correctly (from the graphs) but that it wasn't modulating the signal to the boiler other than "Fire and ignore the thermostat".

Not sure what the way forward is on your problem other than find a forum for the HIVE and even perhaps invest in a S/H thermostat unit.

I have no idea, but wow, those time-temp charts are a masterpiece in failing to follow convention.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    I've stuck to doing it manually and not using a schedule for mine.

I'd have expected a warm house with the OP's username though

Master

Hive heating issue.

Have top say my Hive and TRV valves have been a nightmare since arriving and do it manually niow which actually defeats the object - Worst things ive purchased

Last edited by R0bertb00th; 30th November 2023 at 12:19.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have no events set
    Could someone have accidentally turned the heating up manually? In manual mode (as you probably know) only the app or something moving the temp knob should change anything. If the temp setting was still at 15 then that suggests the unit is glitching.

Master
    On the whole my Hive system has been very reliable. The negatives have been occasional, TRVs losing calibration mainly. This week however I’ve had two instances of the system boosting at 32c for no reason. Checked every setting and the family know better than to fiddle with the thermostat! I’m putting it down to bugs, there have been several app updates in the last few days. Coincidentally?

Master
    Could someone have accidentally turned the heating up manually? In manual mode (as you probably know) only the app or something moving the temp knob should change anything. If the temp setting was still at 15 then that suggests the unit is glitching.
    No it’s definitely not been touched

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    On the whole my Hive system has been very reliable. The negatives have been occasional, TRVs losing calibration mainly. This week however I’ve had two instances of the system boosting at 32c for no reason. Checked every setting and the family know better than to fiddle with the thermostat! I’m putting it down to bugs, there have been several app updates in the last few days. Coincidentally?
    It is very annoying, mine has done it for a few years but I’ve never bothered about it too much because it’s never been an issue but I became a single dad a couple years back and things are tight so having it on that long is gonna hurt!

Master
    I’ve set a random schedule and copied it to every day of the week so if it does glitch to a higher setting it should only be for a couple of hours and then hopefully the schedule will reset it back but who knows.

I’ve set a random schedule and copied it to every day of the week so if it does glitch to a higher setting it should only be for a couple of hours and then hopefully the schedule will reset it back but who knows.
    Great idea

Craftsman
    Maybe someone in the house is pressing the boost button to warm up :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Maybe someone in the house is pressing the boost button to warm up :)
    Aha, the feared 'Human Factor'! Good thinking.

I was thinking along an 'analogue route': no cold air draft? An open window or similar?

Maybe it's AI / online magic, and you could try changing your username to "not_quite_so_toastie"... But, your method above seems much more sensible, and more likely to work. Keep us posted!

Isn’t your house freezing cold at 15c?

What I was thinking - I reckon my house would stay at 15 if I turned the heating off tbh!

Mine is at 20 at night and 22 day I hate the cold

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    What I was thinking - I reckon my house would stay at 15 if I turned the heating off tbh!
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Isn’t your house freezing cold at 15c?

It’s damn cold yes, getting up in the morning is not a particularly pleasant experience but losing my wife and the cost of living rises have dictated where my thermostat is being set along with where I shop and what I am able to eat

It’s damn cold yes, getting up in the morning is not a particularly pleasant experience but losing my wife and the cost of living rises have dictated where my thermostat is being set along with where I shop and what I am able to eat
    Sorry to hear that.

I'm making a concious effort to keep usage down - although it seems to be the Electricity and standing charge elements that are the cripplers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

I'm making a concious effort to keep usage down - although it seems to be the Electricity and standing charge elements that are the cripplers.
    As you say part of the problem is that even if I use no energy at all my standing charges are close to £30 a month before even switching anything on!

Really sorry to hear that - I hope things improve for you

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Mine is at 20 at night and 22 day I hate the cold
    Are you trying to slow cook yourself?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez